• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters With REAL Potential to Move Up

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Hi people, SOLID here.

Lots of people are *mislead* about some characters' potential, and therefore think that a certain character should and will move up the Tier List, but they are wrong. If you want an example of this, go to the Fox Boards and look around. Some people there are wrong in thinking that Fox will be this amazing character soon and be Top Tier. I am here to put these discussions of potential and show you 2 characters that actually have potential to move up. Feel free to discuss these 2, but please read my explanations first.

1. Diddy Kong:

Diddy is a great character, no doubt about it. He actually has true combos with his Dash attack and his bananas can set up for like everything, from racking up damage to killing. Diddy is underused though, with only two people I can think of atm to place very high with him (Ninjalink just places well in a really hard region, and Fliphop won the last HOBO). He Counters MK on certain stages (Mainly FD) and if he has momentum in the match, you are screwed. He has multiple gimmicks with his bananas, like the banana lock, as well as the setups I stated before. I could see Diddy in High or even Top Tier soon, if he gets more players. The thing about him and not some of the Top Tier members, is the fact that he isn't easy to use, which can turn people away form using him. Unlike MK and GnW, you have to practice a lot to use him, and get down his techs like Glide-Tossing and the Banana Lock. His metagame is still advancing as well, and if more great Diddy players emerge, he could be one of the best characters in the game in the future.

2. Zero Suit Samus:

ZSS is great, let me just start with that. She has stun on her attacks, a great tether recovery, pretty good aerials, invincibility on her Down-B, and powerful kill moves. She can also potentially be an MK Counter, but she is very hard to use. The best ZSS in probably the world is Snakeee, but that is the only player I can think of that has consistently placed well with ZSS. She is very underused, which is unfortunate. Like I stated with Diddy, I believe that the fact that she is hard to learn and requires much practice may turn players away who will then choose to pick an easy-to-learn character like MK. Her stun can set up kill moves, especially with her Dsmash. Her neutral B is also a good projectile and can be used for setups. As with Diddy, if more great ZSS players emerge, she'll only go up.

Overall, I'm seeing a trend here: Characters with potential that hasn't been fully reached yet are often the ones that are hard to use, and therefore underused.

So I encourage you smashers here on SWF, don't overlook a character because they are hard to use when choosing a main. If you like how a certain character plays, but you don't want to put the time into using them well, just think; if you do put the time into using them, you could be one of the people responsible for moving them up the Tier List, and one of the ground-breakers for that character.

Don't be afraid to use underused characters!

Feel free to add/discuss.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i can see PT moving up if more people played him
i think the problem with him is similar to diddy's and ZSS's, he is hard to pick up and immediately be good with him
the thing i hear from a lot of PT players is "my charizards really good, but i suck with ivysaur and squirtle"
once people start playing well with all 3 pokemon i can definitely see PT moving up at least one tier.

Ace Of Flames

Smash Apprentice
i can see PT moving up if more people played him
i think the problem with him is similar to diddy's and ZSS's, he is hard to pick up and immediately be good with him
the thing i hear from a lot of PT players is "my charizards really good, but i suck with ivysaur and squirtle"
once people start playing well with all 3 pokemon i can definitely see PT moving up at least one tier.
Seriously, I mean they depend on charizard way too much. I've seen people try to switch to charizard as soon as possible, and not try at all with the other two.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Seriously, I mean they depend on charizard way too much. I've seen people try to switch to charizard as soon as possible, and not try at all with the other two.
Thing is, I would put him up if he was any good, but Zard is really his only good character. That stupid mechanic of having to switch or your Pokemon weakened is what is bringing him down, because if that wasn't in Brawl, he would be at least the middle of Mid Tier, because it's be all Zard. Zard is good, but it's impossible to win with just him since he'll get weaker, so PT is really doomed to stay Low Tier unless someone actually starts trying to use Ivy and Squirtle well, which I don't see happening unfortunately. ZSS and Diddy are actually good, that's why I put them there.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
I say DK, Bowser, Diddy, PT, and Mario all have the potential to move up.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I can't use Charizard to save my life. I'm decent with Squirtle, and good with Ivysaur, but as soon as I get Charizard I die.

I can see him moving up though, and ZSS has lots of potential.
Diddy is good, but I just can't us him.
That being said, I can't use MK either.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Toon Link, defintley. And Pokemon Trainer -- nobody really tries Squirtle or Ivysaur from what I see. I've never even seen an Ivysaur tether hog good, or anything like that. Not sure, but PT and TL have great potential, along with the characters you mentioned. (although everyone knows diddy has potential)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
In full honesty I think Sonic has the potential to move up to top of low tier, and I think Olimar will definitely move up.

j.rob

Smash Apprentice
What about Lucas?

I mean in the right hands he *****. And he has a truck load of tricks and exclusive Adv-techs's.
Aaaaaaaannnnddddd he is a super sayan.......just look at the hair man! That proves he has potential haha!

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I forgot about Toon Link- his forward smash can be devestating.

I could actually see Ganondorf moving up if more people start using him.

Veril

Frame Savant
What about Lucas?

I mean in the right hands he *****. And he has a truck load of tricks and exclusive Adv-techs's.
Aaaaaaaannnnddddd he is a super sayan.......just look at the hair man! That proves he has potential haha!
I really wish that were true. If it was I would still be maining him. His ATs give him an insane recovery. He might rise a point. Woohoo :(

On a serious note: everyone who isn't high/top tier wants their character to go up. I'm clearly (icon) biased towards Jiggs. That said, her metagame development has accelerated tremendously over the last 2 weeks or so due to new, incredibly useful, techniques being developed.

She has a 100% effective escape method from the banana combos. Just one example.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
a few notes on ZSS

yes she is good, but as far as having multiple GOOD kill moves, im going to have to call shenanigans on that. she has side b, but since that is her main spacing tool, she has too wait for back air to kill, and while its strong its not superstrong, i think she has average kill potential

and I dont like how you referenced sonic, only for the reason that it seems like you are trying to make this thread about which high tier characters and above that should go up , when there are some low tiers that are better than they are made out to be.

Sonic and Yoshi are the main culprits of this.

both are solid mid tier characters but they are so nuanced and since you have to be a certain type of person to even want to play with them that those who arent in that group look down on those two characters and the people that play them.

as for already good chaaracter that will be moving up:

Peach: she is very good, has priority up the bung hole, and that back air lock is sex.

Olimar: regardless of his setbacks, his camp alone can move him up to the top of high tier

trev94

Smash Journeyman
link i dont know why people dont use link. he is a great charater. his move sit is good. he runnes at an avarge speed and he is not hard to use

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
No, its actually VERY fortunate- very few people focus on the ZSS match-up, which gives us a big advantage from the start-- most people don't know what her down-b even does--*Evil laugh*
I never used to know what it was for, but I figured out when I was trying her out once.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Toon Link, defintley. And Pokemon Trainer -- nobody really tries Squirtle or Ivysaur from what I see. I've never even seen an Ivysaur tether hog good, or anything like that. Not sure, but PT and TL have great potential, along with the characters you mentioned. (although everyone knows diddy has potential)
Like I said earlier, Ivy and Squirtle ar epretty horrible, so he won't move up.

TL could definitely move up.

Whoever said Link is goo has obviously never used him while trying to recover.

Veril, I may put Jiggs up there, I could see her moving up a bit.

Leo Daza

Smash Cadet
I was just playing zss, and found some pretty good stuff about her. her up B can be used to hit her opponent up, and then bring them right back down. This could be the start of many combos, including a double dsmash. Also, if you were to hit someone in midair with this, it MAY spike them (I haven't gotten to try that yet, but we'll see). You could also, after hitting them off the edge, jump off after them, fair them, midair jump, nair for the finish, then move backwards towards the stage and up B for the recovery. did it on sandbag in the waiting stage, so it'll be tricky on another player.

TL will DEFINITELY move up, his aerials are perfect for finishing people off after chasing them off stage, only problem is it's hard to master them, since every single situation calls for a completely different strategy. what i used to do when I was first learning how to use him was stand beside the edge, and keep chaining till I grabbed the enemy, then threw him off and either ran off or jumped off after him, then used one of the many aerials. I found that 90% of the time I hit them they would die, without needing to raise them to a high percentage (about 20-50% would always do it).

As for Diddy, He does have potential, throwing banana peels at your enemy at close range makes for a good fsmash follow up. The only problem being that if he ever needs to use up B, it gives your enemy the chance to spike you or hit you with some sort of other aerial.

And I do think that fox does have potential to move up to high tier, but who knows, maybe he will, maybe he won't. I have kinda stopped playing him for a while, maybe I'll go back to him later and see if I can figure out anything else good for him.

For PT, I have only mostly seen good chars, with one exception. one of my friends is very good with Ivizaur, I just haven't faced him in a while so I don't remember exactly what it was he did. And also, I always thought squirtle was the best of all 3 pokemon, with his speed and all. I guess the stage matters a lot when it comes to PT, but no matter what at least one of your pokemon will have some form of advantage on it.

That's all I got for now, I'll see If I can find anything new for zss and TL.

Edit: I remembered, awesome finishing combo for zss: dsmash dsmash fsmash. Then you could follow-up with the fair nair combo.

TheUmbreonMonarchy

Smash Cadet
The one that obviously needs to move up is Meta Knight! Everyone overlooks him!

Olimar
Ness
Diddy Kong
Zero Suit Samus

Maybe Yoshi, Peach, and Toon Link.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Diddy and ZSS are no brainers for real potential to move up a lot.

As for others:

PT: As stated before. Once someone figures out how to use all 3 pokemon perfectly, I can see him rising up to the top half of low tier. Forced switching hurts a lot though, as well as Squirtle getting CG'd by everyone and their grandmothers. >_>

Toon Link: Once a method is found to easily chain attacks into fresh kill moves he will move up.

Jigglypuff: Not much, but there is some potential there with using Rest to attack through multihitting attacks.

Olimar: Why exactly is he so low? O_o

Peach: See above.

[bias]Ike: Once we figure out a way to break the game and get Quick Draw to cancel in the air without going into a helpless state[/bias]

trev94

Smash Journeyman
Like I said earlier, Ivy and Squirtle ar epretty horrible, so he won't move up.

TL could definitely move up.

Whoever said Link is goo has obviously never used him while trying to recover.

Veril, I may put Jiggs up there, I could see her moving up a bit.
yea thats me . i dont realy use his b and up . i always get back on the board by the z button. i dont think u play as link because its not that hard to get back on the board with him.;)

HraesVELGEr

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight >.>

But no, go figure on PT. I just started playing online and was puzzled at the abundance of Rock-Smash-Misfiring-Dragons whenever I saw him. Me, I always though Squirtle was incredible! I'm actually better with him than Ivysaur, and WAY better with him than 'Zard.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Definitely agree with you on ZSS and Diddy.
I'm a little iffy on saying Fox... I think it's possible, but I can't say for sure.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Fox will probably move down, IMO.

Olimar, Peach, Diddy, Sonic, Yoshi, Marth, and maybe Ness will move up.

Top Bottom