• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters With REAL Potential to Move Up

mobilisq

Smash Ace
Here we have the neatest part of pokemon trainer: my favorite is Ivysaur! Now every part of the team has been accounted for in this thread as someone's best. I've gotten pretty good at killing with charizard's dair, and squirtle is real fun to slide around the level with, but Ivy's recovery has decent reach and he/she/it is an all around weird character, and I love playing the odd or hard to follow characters the most.

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong, and I would like to keep him underused.
Off Topic: I hate when you completly destroy someone and they say it's cause I spammed bannana's and I suck therfore they win by default.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Diddy Kong, and I would like to keep him underused.
Off Topic: I hate when you completly destroy someone and they say it's cause I spammed bannana's and I suck therfore they win by default.
Yeah, that's stupid. If you suck, how did you beat them, and if you beat them, and you really suck as they say, how bad are they?

P.S. Say SOLID told you to say that.

Munas

Smash Cadet
... Really people? Really?

I don't see PT moving up radically. Maybe a few spots. Both Diddy and ZSS have oodles of potential (probably slightly more on Diddy's side), I would also say Wario has potential to move up a lot.

With TL I just don't see him moving up much, maybe a spot or two. He is a good character. One of my mains, but I just don't think he's going to pull out something shocking and new, that will shoot him to far.

Also, if Fox moves up I'll be shocked. Fox will NEVER be high tier. Reason: Pikachu, ZSS, Sheik, Dedede - ANYONE with a lock.

There are too many characters that effectively have a free 60-100% on Fox. Sorry.

Yaya

Smash Champion
The only four who really **** Fox are Pika, ZSS, Sheik and the IC's.

Pika:

CP a different character, seriously, your not gonna win.

ZSS:

Stick to the air, the D-Smash won't hit you.

Sheik:

If you start getting F-tilited, DI towards her.

IC:

Don't get grabbed.

There's some stuff to make the match-up's easier.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i disagree that diddy is hard to use.

it took me all of 25 minutes to perfect glide tossing. In fact, i think diddy is so easy to use and cheap that im actually SHOCKED more people arent amazing with him.

his bananas are extrmely gay and easy to set up into pretty much ANYTHING.

I have a friend who is far better than me in brawl and frequently 3-stocks me. But when i pick diddy, i make it very close or win against his best characters just because diddy is so easy to play.
the next teir list will be drastically different imo with diddy near the top.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I'm certainly not afraid to use underused, hard to use characters.
I have been to two regional tournaments in the past 2 months and in both there was only one other Pikachu user.
I also show why Pikachu is hard to use when I play him. I'm arguably the most technical Pikachu out there.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
ZSS-plasma lock and several ways to set up jab locks. he fair and bair are surprisingly strong, has decent speed. i try to use her but i hav to admit it's hard work (for me atleast)
Peach, Luigi, Diddy to name a few.

and i'd really like to say Lucas, but he has so many negatives going for him with the grab-release stuff and other character just really **** him. but i guess people just wont give him a chance anymore
:094:

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
This is a horrifically unintelligent discussion, not due to the discussion material. I mean, this a tier discussion. Tiers are based partially not tournament results, and partially on an assumption of a characters future meta-game. I do believe that Diddy and ZSS have potential to move up in this sense, as after Ninja Link's win against M2K (although that win was a complete screw up on M2K's behalf) Diddy popularity has been moving up. ZSS shall not move up very much. She is a great character and all, but she is too hard to play for her tourney results to really move up, she relies "primarily" on tether recovery, and she has 2 rather mediocre kill moves (not gimping moves, killing moves). PT can defs move up, as Ivy is by no means a bad character, and Squirtle can rack up some serious damage if you, shall I say it, "don't get grabbed". I mean, 3 characters in one should be a blessing, right? You can counter most bad matchups (MK not included), you just need to play intelligently and know when to switch.So PT could move up, albeit not very much ( again, **** that MK). Fox will not move up, and if he does, not by very much. He has great combo potential (yes, I said combo) and he has a good game against a lot of characters. A few bad matchups really screw him over, however. My own main, Captain Falcon, will without a doubt NOT move up the tier list. Yea, he sucks. He might outrank 1 character who somehow gets worse than Falcon as the meta game progresses, but I doubt it. In a summary, Diddy will move up undoubtedly. He ****ing rocks. Zss will move up a little bit. Sonic will likely move up, but not by much. Jiggles shant move up very much at all. But alas, Tier placement should not have very much bearing on character choice. We all play our characters because we enjoy them (except for the occasionaly tier ***** MK, that is) and that is the way it should be, regardless of any tier list changes in the future. Good day to you, you uncouth general chat barbarians.

Airwalk.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Diddy
Wolf
Toon Link
Olimar
Zero Suit
Peach
Mario

I'm surprised nobody said Mario.
And PT should just be split up into 3 pokemon instead of just having him on there.

5ive

Smash Champion
Pikachu:
Though with the persona as a spammy character, when used competitively, Pikachu is very versatile. Thunder and jolt play a crucial part controlling space, while aerials, grabs, and recovery are top notch. Topped off with the versatility of QAC, Pikachu can move up to high tier.

What Pikachu needs is the emergence of Pikachu players. If we see an increase of high ranking players, or even an MK match win in a well know tourny, Pikachu WILL move up.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Lol, I like how when Mario is being discussed a swarm of Mario mains just suddenly pop up.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I say Luigi has the potential to move up the most spots.
I mean, Bowser, DK, Mario and Samus all move up if DDDs CG is banned(well maybe noy Samus)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Mario will move up anyway. As much as it would help for the infinite to be banned (Mario would even have the advantage in the match-up if it wasn't for that, in my opinion), Mario is going to move up to middle tier on the next list.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Can we talk about Luigi now?

I know I'm biased, but every single person in this thread is as well. I think Luigi has some potential to move up (but not too far due to his poor D3/MK/GW matchups), He has one of the best combo games in brawl, and possibly the strongest kill move as well. This means one good 'combo' lead into a shoryuken or an up angled Fsmash means death before 70% on heavies. Just my input.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Of course Luigi will go up, he has so many great players who play well.
Captain Falcon's bound to move up, but not by much. Only because people are using him more to prove he's not meant for bottom.
Other than that, I don't think any major changes will be made.

I don't have enough knowledge to predict much, so sorry if this was a waste of a post.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Clearly the obvious characters are Diddy and Zero Suit Samus to move up in the tier list due to potential.

Also Yoshi

I would like to see Ness move up to the place in which he should be and that is Mid-Mid Tier. This is how it is, the only reason he was low tier was because when word first came that he could be infinated, everyone except a dedicated few left him for different mains. When in reality he is only infinated by one character, Charizard(which not many ppl play). Since so many people left he got no tourney results for the tier list. Everyone was left with the idea he sucked because he got infinated, and therefore was injustfully placed in low-tier. When in reality he is a solid mid tier character. Also he isn't totally destroyed by MK
(yes this is bias)

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
wow finally i was waiting for one of these treads.

i think yoshi should move up big time. he has one of the best air games in the game. he also has a really good projectile (if you can master it). he also has really irritating attacks and he has high kill potential. His tilts rack up damage fast and aerials are super hard to DI out of. Yoshi should definately move up. i dont even like him but i am being fair and i think he deserves better than rock bottom on the tier list

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I would say:

Diddy Kong
Zero Suit Samus
Wolf
Yoshi
IC

Maybe Link, but he won't get anywhere special.

and about ICs. Seriously. IC grabs combos are freaking amazing, and yet we don't see a very big group of them. I think they would show more dominance as people warm up to them and learn to be consistent at chain grabbing.

I don't think Bowser and PT will be moving. PT could move a spot or two, but will ultimately be held back by the fatigue mechanic, and Bowser is awesome and all, but he's a big target and the biggest gimps, chain grabs, and locks can all be done to him.

Smash Master
IC's have infinites on everybody and a 39% d-smash. They will move up. It's just so hard to learn the timing for 38 characters for every possible percentage up to about 150, but it's definitely possible.

Smady

Smash Master
No character is going to move up drastically after the next tier list... unless D3's chaingrab or Meta Knight is banned.

:034:

Smash Hero
This thread = "My mid/low tier character is moving up because I say so."

My descriptions are fucking stunning.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I would say:

Diddy Kong
Zero Suit Samus
Wolf
Yoshi
IC

Maybe Link, but he won't get anywhere special.

and about ICs. Seriously. IC grabs combos are freaking amazing, and yet we don't see a very big group of them. I think they would show more dominance as people warm up to them and learn to be consistent at chain grabbing.

I don't think Bowser and PT will be moving. PT could move a spot or two, but will ultimately be held back by the fatigue mechanic, and Bowser is awesome and all, but he's a big target and the biggest gimps, chain grabs, and locks can all be done to him.

Wolf isn't moving up. I use him, and he isn't great. He's already High Tier, and I don't see him moving up any more than that, because not that many people use him well, especially in the big Smash areas, like EC and in Texas.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolf isn't moving up. I use him, and he isn't great. He's already High Tier, and I don't see him moving up any more than that, because not that many people use him well, especially in the big Smash areas, like EC and in Texas.
Woah, you should visit the Wolf boards a bit more again, bro. Have you already forgotten Candy vs Azen? NL plays Wolf too, just in case you forgot. Only in TX Wolf's underplayed (and WC now that Lucien and the GERM quit) and TX ... well y'know they even ban MK now :p
I agree though, that high tier is well deserved and that he will only move up a few spots if any at all. Although I think him doing decently vs MK in tourney atm and now being able to tech Falcos Chainspike will help him.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Woah, you should visit the Wolf boards a bit more again, bro. Have you already forgotten Candy vs Azen? NL plays Wolf too, just in case you forgot. Only in TX Wolf's underplayed (and WC now that Lucien and the GERM quit) and TX ... well y'know they even ban MK now :p
I agree though, that high tier is well deserved and that he will only move up a few spots if any at all. Although I think him doing decently vs MK in tourney atm and now being able to tech Falcos Chainspike will help him.
Oh yeah, forgot about Candy, and Azen, and Chillin. NL plays everyone.

But in all seriousness, even with new players, he won't really go up, his metagame is kinda stagnant atm.

Top Bottom