• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters With REAL Potential to Move Up

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Stop feeding the duck, this guy is obviously an ex-SBR thinking Sawnik has 0-priority. He probably still assumes that his Dash attack doesn't go over nanerz.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
Peach is moving up for sure... I dunno what she was doing below Luigi. People need to stop saying PT has potential and realize hes really just 3 sub-par chars with a few niche uses in one given matchup.

On the other hand people need to stop acting like stamina is an issue (it isnt really trust me, the only time it sucks is when you need to stockwhore a comeback with charizard and then u get fatigued and even then he has like 9 kill moves and they will kill around 130 when fatigued)

It'd also be nice to stop ragging on ivysaur, the gimps only happen if you have a character with a great offstage game (unfortunatly almost all of top tier) or if the PT is stupid.

Olimar has potential but the recovery is still an issue because of the top tier chars nearly all having good offstage games.

ZSS has a lot of potential but I personally dont find the matchup so bad. She also gets countered by Falco and GaW who see a lot of usage.

Sonic doesnt have the potential to move up he was just seeded a bit too low to begin with. What people need to understand is that most characters in this game are usable in almost every matchup and that in the right hands and playstyle you can overwhelm a lot of people just by having a solid knowledge of matchups and by having some good mingaymez.

The lowest tier in this game contains a lot of characters who simply **** in the right hands because nobody knows the matchup. Once people learn these matchups the balance will be restored and people will give up on using a few chars (lookin at you Ganon)

TheFast

Smash Lord
Yoshi is way underratted. Hes got good combobillity, good killing moves, a highly underrated recovery, possible even match-up with MK, Wave-dash, Great progectile, and tons of ATs. The only reason he is so low is because people dont play him. Even though he has such few players is Metagame is still farther than some of the other characters. I think if people would start using Yoshi he would fly up the teir list. I think if people used him well he could reach the top of high maybe even low high.

Browny

Smash Hater
more like every character is good, some just have a higher total number of broken moves than others

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
not true.
i used to think that and than i started watching falco. im pretty sure he only has half a moveset.
B
Side B
down throw
back air
down air.

and a few others that dont really matter.

looking back on it, yeah your right cus most characters dont even have 5 moves that good...

its not every character is good, as much as it is, every character has at least 1 good player using them.

RATED

Smash Lord
in my opinion falco will stay where he is , mk, snake, ddd they won't move from there, Olimar will move if his recovery were a bit better he would be top tier seriously his smashes are awesome , he out camp almost all cast, grab range is broken , he kill quickly and he rack dmg as hell.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I have tried playing as Diddy Kong many times before, but I have never improved with him. I however, think that Ganondorf, Yoshi, and Olimar have real potential to move up. Even though I don't play as him, semi-decent Olimar players can dominate semi-decent high tier players. Yoshi has some awesome aerial game, and Ganondorf is a pure killing machine. Jigglypuff, even though she appears completely flawed, has A LOT of potential to move up. I've seen the complete devastation a decent Jigglypuff player can do.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I see this thread, I read this thread, and I wonder. If all these characters are going up, who is going down to replace their spots. There's a bloody good reason why they are low, for the most part. And there is just as much of a reason for the people placed higher to be there. I see talk of Ike moving up, but those have basically been debunked because he is pretty easy to telegraph and his beastliness is almost non-existent without a wifi environment.

So summing up - So many low tiers are defending their character, who is moving down in response to them moving up? I know you can easily say the next person above them, but reviewing the topic, there are a lot of good points about those characters as well. At least, most of the time. So if they are all moving up together... sounds like they'll be staying the same, because I can't honestly say there will be too many mid-tiers moving down to low.

That said, the only Brawler I can see with a realistic chance of moving up from low to mid is Mario, with his combo and gimp game, and with the introduction of FIHL... it's pretty cool, but I think there isn't much hope for the plumber to hit the middle of the mid-tier. Not much at all.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Is that a Mario symbol next to your name?

Thought so.
this thread is concentrated bias juice
Why yes it is. Congratulations. It's not like I chose him because I was bored or anything. But yes, I have been playing a bit more Mario recently, and posted in his boards, but I play Marth and Sonic far more.

It seems that character symbol is a sign of instant debunk when someone tries to defend that character. Just try and read my point thoroughly before passing me off as some random voice. I said he may move up a couple spots, seeing as he has had a couple of new, very useful AT's discovered since the last iteration of the tier list, such as the aforementioned FIHL, plus Cape Dashing can prove useful for mindgames if perfected.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to know what people other than Sheiks and Zeldas think of Zelda/Sheik (both together).
They have like, 5 bad match ups, where bad = 60-65:40-35.

Yes that is a Sheik icon next to my name, but that's why I'm interested in other people's opinions, since no one EVER (!) talks about them, it seems.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I'd like to know what people other than Sheiks and Zeldas think of Zelda/Sheik (both together).
They have like, 5 bad match ups, where bad = 60-65:40-35.

Yes that is a Sheik icon next to my name, but that's why I'm interested in other people's opinions, since no one EVER (!) talks about them, it seems.
Meh, I think theyre ok where they are.
There was a point when the game first came out and i mained them and my friends were calling her broken because of certain things.
But there are plenty of ways to counter their strong points.
If anyone, shiek may move up but i dont think zelda will, her recovery is too punishable and unreliable.
Shiek has got good combo potential however so we may see a rise in her.
And ppl, we shouldnt judge peoples decisions based on the icon next to their name. That doesnt mean that their knowledge will be flawed. Sure their opinions may be biased towards their character but whos going to know their character more, someone who mains them or someone who has a totally neutral stance on every character?
We need people to stick up for their mains in threads like this as they could provide us with the most useful information about their character. Dont flame ppl just because theyre sticking up for their main. But at the same time, dont act like your main is the only character worth considering otherwise expect to be flamed.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
wow, this thread is full of "Nuh uh, my character has more potential", and actual discussion is absent. Has anyone even bothered to look at the trends of the character rankings?

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
According to this topic, the tiers would end up looking like this:

TOP TIER:

Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Sheik
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link

BOTTOM TIER:

Captain Falcon (There is no hope)

Yhallothar bias.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Anyway, Olimar is the only character I see that will actually be moved up, even though there are other characters that should be higher but won't be.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
He's kind of right... but shouldn't we go make a parrallel thread to discuss who is going to move DOWN on the tier list?

If people move up, for sure people will be going down

I've been hearing how R.O.B. is sadly going to move down, for example.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hum... ROB is really good... But MK won't let him being in Top Tier anymore :(

I think ROB, DDD and G&W can drop from Top Tier to a new Very High Tier. Falco could also move down a little bit. Seriously, he has so many 50:50 match-ups with high and middle tiers...

Diddy Kong and Capt. Falcon could very probably move up in Top Tier.

Top Tier would be : MK, Snake, Diddy, and maybe Falco.

/My Top Tier thoughts. ^^

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Diddy Kong sucks, and a clone doesn't deserve to be in the Top Tier.

Remember, these characters are placed for a reason.

Nicole

Smash Champion
diddy is my secondary. he is good, but he is not top. he may move up one or two spots, at best. it is all about nanners with diddy, which takes alot of thinking and alot of smart play. as for ZSS, the same goes for her. she will not move up much, because there are few people who play her - she takes alot of practice to play and you've got to be very smart about it. both of these characters have huge potential, but when there are few people using them (and fewer using them well) there's little reason to move a character up. look at the tier list - the most used characters (MK, Snake, DDD, GW) are at the top. they are all easy to pick up and play, and because of that, they are the "best" in the game.

sonic, samus, yoshi, luigi, olimar, and toon link should move up.
zelda, lucario, DDD, ROB, ike, and bowser should move down.

no one should move up or down more than two spots. except maybe olimar.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Tamoo, I was talking about them as ONE character. Where, if their strong points are countered, they switch. Like, if the opponent plays Dedede, I'll go Zelda. If the opponent plays Wolf, I'll go Sheik. If the opponent plays Mario, I'll start as Sheik and kill with Zelda.
Match up-wise, Zelda/Sheik is a pretty good character.

I don't think either of them individually will move up (well, Sheik might surpass Ike, but noone else), but a Zelda/Sheik spot should be interesting. I don't think it will happen, though.

Top Bottom