• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
My board believes Sonic goes even with Pikachu. A good Sonic is constantly using special moves for approaches and can be terribly difficult to hit. Sonic isn't garbage.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
The way to play Sonic is to run around evading and baiting your opponent into doing something dumb so that you can punish.
But... that is what we do =P Thats why we have so many cancels and whatnots XD.

Now for a general statement. Sonic isn't great, and any respectable Sonic main will admit that. Even if he became uber tier at one point, which is not gonna happen, right now hes still not great.

But like KID said, spreading misinformation is just wrong. For fear of sounding trite, I don't even want to get started on the WCD, and I actually contributed in that threads dicussion without being rude and obnoxious about it. I think some of us overreacted, but I will never deny they had all reason to do so.

I second pretty much everything KID said, especially his reason number 3. Give Sonic one effectively spammable move or one spectacular KO move and Sonic becomes way better.

The problem with Sonic is that almost EVERYTHING you do with him requires more work, wih equal or less payoff than many other characters. Like, his Fsmash isn't a bad KO move. Its average speed, good knockback range/disjointedness etc. But we require setups for it, which are based on mindgames and stuff.

Sonic has tons of mindgame potential, its kinda the nature of his character what with his speed and cancels. The thing about mindgmae potential though, is that although they can help you yield a victory, having the potential to mindgame someone into an fsmash KO will never be as good as say, just being able to tilt up and A with Snake <_<.

Sonic is one of the best punishers in the game. He can create openings, but not without first somewhat risking himself to create these openings. Its kinda this eternal balance zen thing.

The WCD was right in that Sonic is not a good character, but it didn't give the right reasons, it gave mostly totally bogus ones. Heck, event the times they complimented Sonic was off as well >_>. The Sonic boards failed in that rather than give the right reasons, it turned into a flamefest for the most part, which doesn't help gain us respect. But its hard when our character is already looked down upon, to have him looked down upon more by the top in the community for reasons so apocryphal T_T.

Steak is a Sonic board meme, so yea. As for him having tons of acronyms... Its kinda not our fault that we actually need them. Sonic has more depth than the majority of Brawls casts... too many subtleties. That doesn't mean he's good because he has such depth, it just means it takes more time and effort to use him at proper potential than most of the cast.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I think it would definitely help Sonic's reputation if not EVERY SINGLE POST in the Sonic forums was about a certain grilled slice of meat...
Search: Key Word(s): steak ; Forum: Sonic and child forums

Showing results 1 to 25 of 500

the search function can't even find them all :laugh: it mazes out, ridiculous. I don't even read the Sonic boards to learn stuff anymore, I just watch videos lol

the most fun dittos are captain falcon dittos
Wario says hi

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
geez ppl its just a joke, if you ignore it when you go through the forums, youll find out we arent as useless as ppl might think

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
He is fun to play, so I think strong players are picking him b/c of his unique fast tempo style of play, and not so much for his GGWINFACTOR, since I think he is a below average character, but the Sonic faithfuls are going to keep playing him, and a lot of beasty players who win tournaments with other characters will start adopting him since, Sonic is almost as fun to play as Ike or Ganon. :p

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I think all us Sonic mains should STFU cos we're not gonna get listened to (:

And OS wtf? Why the hell would we want another write-up lmao?

Ganondorf dittos are the funnest btw.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
No it mostly has to do with the Sonic boards being a black hole of anti-logic. I firmly believe that if I were to gaze at them too long I would go blind.
I laughed at this.
Considering there is alot of information on the boards.

Indeed, the steak jokes are terrible and pointless. It also doesn't help that even when there -is- serious discussion in the sonic boards, it's the only character that's managed to create so many acronyms that talking about his techniques ends up looking like a second language (and can be very frustrating to keep straight), not mention most of these techniques result in: "Sonic turns into a ball and rolls at something in any number of directions".
Then let us obliterate the terms, uair, Nair, Fair, Bair and Dair. They all basically mean, said character attacks in said direction.
You're being ignorant if you really believe that the acronyms made all mean the same thing.
Each one stands for a different behavior of a move.
A spincharge in the air has different properties to one on the ground.

If you cannot understand the terms then why are you assuming that they all mean the same thing.
There are FAQs on the boards.
As for respecting the good Sonic players. I was paired up with Mr. 3000 at HOBO11, I'm exactly completely blind to how a good sonic plays. But you have to face that almost his entire game is just massively mindgaming the opponent into a mistake you can punish and if they refuse to fall for it, sometimes Sonic simply has no answer.
This is correct, mostly.
Sonic doesnt necessarily rely on purely mindgames (though he benefits from them and can use them much better than the cast). He does have issues with several situations because he cannot answer them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@Rooooy

ill just keep making sence until they have no choice but to listen to us...

other than that every thing you said is right on

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Would just like to agree with Shadowlink on a previous point.

Levitas you said we were unreasonably harsh with anther, but like shadowlink said, we would be lke that with anyone. If M2K started to pick up Sonic, I doubt he would be treated very differently. Although that might be a little extreme because his reputation alone would make us want him to stay. If you read our discussions with anther, you would actually see we are very appreciative of him, because he's one of the only people we've criticized that instead of just ignoring us or going away, actually listened to our advice and put it to use.

Anther is a great player, and like, the best pikachu, but he is still not a great Sonic. I think some people don't get that(not directed at you levitas) Thats just the truth. He is getting there though. Thanks to him actually listening to us. If you compare his early Sonic to his Sonic now, you could see the vast improvement. I feel like sometimes good players are not willing to listen to criticism for a character so seemingly simple as Sonic, and this is where anther is different. We criticized his play because we saw so much potential in him that wasnt being put to use. Most sonics need to learn to become better players, theyve got the ATs and junk down. Anther was the opposite. So yea. Once he stops suiciding with SideB, then he'll be amazing XD

The truth is the Sonic forums are in general quite knowledgeable. Steak is our meme, and its part of what keeps our boards lively. Its not exactly easy to hold on to a character with so many intricacies involved for such relatively little reward.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
who in general, and not just the sonic boards, is more well known as a sonic player (not necessarily a sonic mainer), nationwide than anther?

EVERYONE knows and has known anther since melee.

not everybody knows of any other sonic mainer that widely except for possibly mr 3000

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I think da K.I.D. is either being sarcastic, or he has mistaken Sonic as Marill, which many people mistook as Raichu's evolved form "Pikablu" back when Red/Blue Version hoaxes were all the craze. Anther mains Pikablu.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The problem with Sonic is that almost EVERYTHING you do with him requires more work, wih equal or less payoff than many other characters.
So... he's not as good as many other characters. Or do you have a contradiction you'd like you post to correct my error?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
The problem with Sonic is that almost EVERYTHING you do with him requires more work, wih equal or less payoff than many other characters.
This makes no sense whatsoever. :laugh:

And what's all this about "mindgame potential"? Mindgaming someone into an fsmash? What? Everything was so vague and oddly worded, the only thing that mindgamed me was that post.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
I'd much rather see people going back to spamming cosplay pictures than bringing up Sonic. At least the picture spam is more productive.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Isn't that a surprise?
The topic wasn't blown off course by a Sonic user in a Sonic tier list argument.
Guys, just don't bother with it, they obviously aren't going to listen.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i can't believe i started this whole conversation with why sonic mains coming into tier list threads lol.....i guess its a magnet they can't resist =P

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
i can't believe i started this whole conversation with why sonic mains coming into tier list threads lol.....i guess its a magnet they can't resist =P
If you criticize ANYONE'S character incorrectly I'll bet they'll have something to say. What if I said that Peach's dair is unwieldy and not worth using? You'd want to clear up the misconception of your character right? We keep getting ignored......why? Because we have a meme? **** listening to anyone who says no johns. They are clearly ******** and not worth listening to.

gantrain05

Smash Master
If you criticize ANYONE'S character incorrectly I'll bet they'll have something to say. What if I said that Peach's dair is unwieldy and not worth using? You'd want to clear up the misconception of your character right? We keep getting ignored......why? Because we have a meme? **** listening to anyone who says no johns. They are clearly ******** and not worth listening to.
whoa man, im not saying anything bad at sonic, i was just saying every time a tier list convo comes into play theres tons of sonic and yoshis around. i know sonic is a pretty good character o.O

kr3wman

Smash Master
If you criticize ANYONE'S character incorrectly I'll bet they'll have something to say. What if I said that Peach's dair is unwieldy and not worth using? You'd want to clear up the misconception of your character right? We keep getting ignored......why? Because we have a meme? **** listening to anyone who says no johns.
No johns.

10nojohns.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I think da K.I.D. is either being sarcastic, or he has mistaken Sonic as Marill, which many people mistook as Raichu's evolved form "Pikablu" back when Red/Blue Version hoaxes were all the craze. Anther mains Pikablu.
Those were the days....

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
whoa man, im not saying anything bad at sonic, i was just saying every time a tier list convo comes into play theres tons of sonic and yoshis around. i know sonic is a pretty good character o.O
I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you. I'm just explaining WHY we all complain. And I preemptively said the steak thing because you KNOW people would use that as a reason we're dumb.

In the SMYN community we find..... basically everything here awesome. People who DON'T listen to the podcast would..... PROBABLY think most of it's stupid. But the people who were around for their creation love them. OF COURSE everyone thinks steak is stupid. That's kind of the POINT to a meme. If people really, I mean REALLY have to resort to making fun of THAT?!?! Then they're just admitting that they are wrong, stupid and unwilling to learn. Attack the point. Not everything SURROUNDING the point.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lets see how this works

lucas's upsmash and down smash are almost useless

all yoshi has is a chaingrab and he gets footstooled to hell.

peach's recovery is terrible

lucario and zero suit get gimped really easily

pit's ATs are completely useless

FLUDD is the dumbest attack in the game

Diddy is nothing with out bananas

ICs are nothing without CGs

Pika cant do anything but camp

All bowser has is side b

Napilopez

Smash Lord
So... he's not as good as many other characters. Or do you have a contradiction you'd like you post to correct my error?
... lol where'd this come from? What error? I'z confussled T-T. Unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow.

I said like a gagillion times that Sonic isnt good =P

*waits for more tourney results to blow off this discussion and get back to a tourney topic*

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So basically Sonic sucks, he turns into a ball a lot and every move is the same, Hylian thinks he is Top Tier, cosplay pictures are silly, and nobody cares what any Sonic main has to say because they have a meme and because every move is the same, they must have no useful purpose.

This is all I got from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom