• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh, yea. I don't think anyone mentioned Sonic can't pick up bananas with his dash attack either.

It's a step in the right direction.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Inorite?

It kind of bothers me though. Over the past month we have tried hard. Like. REALLY hard to get the Sonic boards to a respectable spot. Most of the stupid threads on the front page were posted by outsiders or simply to instigate. We have 6 Sonic stickys for pete's steak. We have a guide project, a complete look at the mechanics of his spindashes, a video thread, tournament results, matchup discussion, the works! I don't think we have a chance to erase the stigma over our heads.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
whuts a sticky?

But seriously, I think people just want to believe that Sonic is awful instead of actually understanding that with time, he can actually prove to be a good character with dedication.

I mean, we stay pretty consistent with tournament results. We're at 16 right now, around the middle. That's good.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Oh ****, were there tournament results posted earlier this week? I don't think I've added them to my list yet. Time to go back a couple pages....

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Halismashed II

Date: Nov. 16th
Entry: $10
Entrants: 25
Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=61113&page=13

1. Mal - DDD, Ness, Mario
2. Doom - TL, Falco
3. KMAG - Sonic, ICs, Diddy
4. JTF - MK, Wolf
5. Kid A - Olimar, DK, GaW
5. Zhao - Luigi
7. Ryan - Captain Falcon, Ike
7. Lamb - MK, Falco
9. K - ZSS <--(me)
9. Ben - Mario, Jiggs
9. Chaos - ???
9. Chaos_f15 - ???
The most recent was Halismashed II. The rest was kind of us Sonic's *****ing.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Only if you're anther within the first week of picking up sonic.

Then again, you guys decided to tear anther a new one with almost no basis for your claims. Like, really.
Anther didn't know how to cancel spindashes and his first few weeks' videos showed it. There were alot of near-deaths or damage that he could have avoided if he knew what he was doing.

Eventually he did post asking questions, and we cleared things up, and he got around to using them, so we don't have any qualms anymore.

fixed 10 dtilts
forgot the dysfunctional dash attacks that don't pick up items.

And OS wtf? Why the hell would we want another write-up lmao?
lol
i can't believe i started this whole conversation with why sonic mains coming into tier list threads lol.....i guess its a magnet they can't resist =P
it actually started with some guy who couldn't type for his life.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
:( I missed the war...

The only thing I've learned is:

1. Lurkers need to read the stickies before they say that there is no useful information
2. They have to get over a joke that's not aimed at them...
3. Stop failing

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Just so you dont need to go back to search for it. =)

Also, the only thing i learned from this discussion is that sonic sucks. =D
Fail. Lurk more. And I'm getting tired of this sort of nonsense. If you don't know anything about the character, shut up and don't say a word.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Meh Chis, I think socks was just cracking a joke there. Nothing to take the wrong way. I didn't take any offense to it anyway, because it's pretty much true.

We were just arguing the reasons why he sucks, not the fail garbage people present to us.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol, I failed to recognize him as a Yoshi main.

Then he definitely must be joking :p

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
:/ Darts.

My humble apoligeies. I know from experience that jokes don't come out well on the internet. I hope I didn't sound like an over aggressive fan boy/jerk/more stuff to you...

:(

D

Deleted member

:laugh: I was joking. Its ok tho. <3 sonic mains.

Sonic is pretty fun, ASC is too good.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Yoshi actually beats me down pretty well. He's like... the ONLY case where priority actually bothers me. I got used to fighting him so that it's nearly even but I have to try pretty **** hard for that. IMO it's at least 55-45 Yoshi. Personally I think that it's 60 40 Yoshi.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Sorry Anther. But you just defended Sonic and used a meme. You're ******** now. T_T
Meme's aren't ********. Your steak meme is ********.

Non-******** meme:

ROB mainers saying "YOU JUST GOT ROBBED!" after owning someone

******** meme:

STEAK!!!!!!!!

Notice the difference

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You just got ROBBED?

Very clever.

You can't mock an inside joke, that's why it's an INSIDE joke. You're obviously not on the inside. We have a whole story behind Steak too. What's ROB's? lol getting robbed is like when someone goes into ur house and steals stuff. I also luv that show where dat guy is liek U JUST GOT PUNK'D! I KNOW! U JUST GOT ROBBED1!!1!

:p

Napilopez

Smash Lord

Non-******** meme:

******** meme:

STEAK!!!!!!!!

Notice the difference
Sorry OS, but this post fails because the ROB meme is more of a pun play on words type of thing, while our meme arose due to a historical aspect of the Sonic boards.

lrn2steakculture

=P

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

Non-******** meme:

******** meme:

STEAK!!!!!!!!

Notice the difference
Lol. No one is meant to understand inside jokes. Also you got ROBBED isn't really...that good. :ohwell:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
The Robbed thing is actually good and "well thought". Inside jokes suck, and not because I don't understand them, they just suck because they go all over SWF saying 'lol steak' and nobody ****ing gets why lol

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
The Sonic boards don't care if the meme is understandable. They talk to each other not the lurkers.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
The Robbed thing is actually good and "well thought". Inside jokes suck, and not because I don't understand them, they just suck because they go all over SWF saying 'lol steak' and nobody ****ing gets why lol
lolz, that was why we started going around the boards saying it, so no one would get why XD.

Quick Sonic main history Lesson

The incentive:
Puffball has a great combination of technical skill and actual Sonic know-how from what I saw from the three matches I played against him, which is what makes him steak tier.
The Steak catalyst:
:O

from now on, all those of us who frequent the tactical boards should mention how sonic is in steak tier, and never explain why >_>
Seconded.

10steaks
Yay, I started a trend.

Woo I iz a trend setter.

Sonic is Steak Tier.

10wearethemostridiculousboardonallofsmashboardsandweareawesome
Hence, the steak meme erupted outside of our own boards.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
terios is right
and @OS
at least sonic mainers are smarter than yoshi mainers in terms of character choice.

lolololololololololololol

@napi
read the djbrownie post again...
scrubscrubscrub

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yo Napi, think you could find the original post by KASR?
I'm going to find it eventually...

@KID Technically, Napi DID start the trend because he was the first to actually use the word steak in such context, DJ just thought to take it to the next level. I guess you could say they used teamwork.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I thought this should be addressed.... tho I'm not sure what post he's referring to.

And what's all this about "mindgame potential"? Mindgaming someone into an fsmash? What? Everything was so vague and oddly worded, the only thing that mindgamed me was that post.
Saying a character relies on "mindgame potential" is usually synonymous with "this character sucks so you have to outsmart your opponent lulz". But Sonic's moveset actually gives him a lot of options for faking his moves, and punishing a baited response.

Sonic's in front of you, he shorthops and you hear the spincharge noise. What do you do? It depends on what spin it is, and each one gives Sonic a bunch of different options. If it's an ASC, it's probably baiting an attack or spotdodge, so it might respond by attacking you from the air. If you charge an attack, Sonic will be patiently waiting on the ground, ready to attack, or abort in four different ways. But maybe the ASC was baiting a shield, so Sonic can land the ASC right in front of you and grab-cancel. If you attack with something long-ranged (ex. IC's blizzard), Sonic can jump-cancel the ASC so he's above you, or spinshot past you to hit from behind. Maybe the ASC is empty or otherwise aborted.

But it might not have been ASC at all. Maybe Sonic was using an SD ("hop"), either to shield-cancel its landing, or capitalize on the invincibility frames of its approach. Or a billion other options. Maybe Sonic was using Nair, or heck even a Homing Attack lol. Note that most of these options happen really fast, so you'd better make the right choice.

None of those moves are a "sure thing", as in the Sonic needs to be actually responding to you rather than trying to randomly hit you with a predetermined plan. But I think this is what most ppl mean when they say Sonic relies on "mindgame potential"; his moves give him lots of fast options that start the same, or just look and sound the same lol.

Of course Sonic sucks, and MK has lots of fast options too lolol. But I think more people should actually take the time to learn Sonic's full moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom