• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Idea Submission Thread

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
If you're making suggestions for a character, you need to understand how she works first. Look up vids of Samus players in Melee to see how how bombs are currently used, and how your suggestions would randomly change an integral part of a character for the worse because canon.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Okay, my apologies for the missile comment. Maybe its the people I've been playing melee with, but my samus-maining friend almost never uses the missiles in his samus play, preferring to just rush us down with his air attacks and sometimes using the charge beam for punishment or combos. The bombs are never used, and I don't really see how they aid recovery (they don't grant much altitude and you're a sitting duck while waithing for them to go off). What I meant by floating is that they remain in place a la zelda's firebombs. Samus would bounce slightly above them when she drops them and they would detonate when she contacts them.
Samus really has no business rushing down with aerials. A high SH and being extremely floaty makes her a sitting duck every time she jumps. Missiles are one of the biggest parts of her game, and bombs greatly aid in recovery and deal a lot of shield damage.

I know it's been posted a lot, but just watch this match to get an idea what I'm talking about.

TheDoc

Smash Rookie
Personally I'd like to see Doctor Mario return to the glorious field of combat. Give him different moves so he isn't a claimed copy of Mario but keep the pills, the cancel able Up special and the ever deadly Down smash. It'd be fun to see the return of him and if need be I will even come up with moves for him. (He's just a really fun character all around)

JOE!

Smash Hero
at that point he won't be the Doc you know and love from melee, who has since fusion-ha'd with Mario

TheDoc

Smash Rookie
Oh i know. I just get sick of people in my region complaining about how Doc is just Mario with a lab coat. I just wish theyd bring him back. Obviously im a fan lol

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think they're working on a Mario that has a Doc costume. It's like a better Doc, except he doesn't have pills.

MVP

Smash Ace
Oh i know. I just get sick of people in my region complaining about how Doc is just Mario with a lab coat. I just wish theyd bring him back. Obviously im a fan lol

its like when people say **** about captain falcon and ganon. How ganon is ''just a slower more powerful cf" they obviously no nothing about smash. I try hard not to get upset

i feel ya bro...

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So then you know the differences between Mario and Doc, tell me: do you know which of the two has less L-cancel frames on every aerial?

Tintinytdj

Smash Rookie
The only things I'd like to be in project m regarding Yoshi are his neutral b cancel and his melee-styled-juggling, as well as some sort of tongue-assisted edge latching method (in order to counteract wavedash-enabled edge hogging).

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
You know, for a while I was miffed at the idea of Samus returning as just a buffed version of Melee Samus, since I'm a huge fanboy for the Metroid Prime series in particular. I'd been hoping for some beam-changing action (which would still be cool actually) and a bunch of crazy stuff.

But after seeing videos of Melee Samus tourney gameplay, I can say that I'll probably pick her up if she returns as a buffed Melee Samus. Seriously, those fast missiles; that f-smash; that bomb jump > tether recovery. So delicious.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
Here's some Sonic Ideas, give back these 2 moves from Sonic's old Brawl moveset, because their Project: M replacements/changes have made them nigh useless, especially when compared to their Brawl Counterparts.

Spin Dash (Side-B) - since it has much more versatility in Brawl than it does in P:M, it had invincibility frames for frames 4-6, you could also do grounded and aerial spin shots from it, as well as do a vertical spin dash jump (which you could double jump cancel or spring out of) or shield cancel form a grounded position.

Uair - which had a set knockback on the first hit, which actually allowed for connecting into the 2nd at any % or position, assuming spaced appropriately (unlike its P:M Counterpart).

Thx for checkin' it out.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My Samus suggestion was more of a "either this, or this" fantasy. Naturally.. having both of my suggestions, plus Speed Booster, would be my ideal Samus (but she'd naturally be SSS Tier material).

In PSASBR, I like how Jak (& Daxter) uses his multiple beams. It's just sad he's so.. bad. But he's got the right idea that I would've loved for Samus' beam attacks.

I wouldn't complain if in Project M / SSB4 she works like in Melee + Brawl's zAIR, with Melee tethering effect.

Zaaji

Smash Rookie
For some odd reason, I really loved Kirby's mini " Fire Kirby" when he dash attacks. That twirl kicking was cool, but I thought it took away from Kirby's melee style. :/

Zaaji

Smash Rookie
They've mentioned that Snake can now drag his enemies using the taunts or the d-pad. idk. Can somebody plz show me what in the name of God are they talking about. I have yet to see this in play. #TheStruggle

Zaaji

Smash Rookie
Within those 10 minutes I have tried using a wii remote and nun chuck. It fails me :/

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
On the Samus discussion, I really can only say this:

Samus is receiving two inherent buffs in PM from Brawl things that there's not really any need to fix.

First off, she has an incredibly safe and long-range poking option in AD zair, which allows her to poke from extremely long distances very quickly without needing to sacrifice her ground game. Second, her homing missiles have much better turning radii, which allows them to fluster approaches more reliably than in Melee.

These are already doing a lot to make Samus better without messing with her playstyle. She's a solid and fun character to begin with, without having to change her playstyle at all. It's fun to have fantasies about including more of her coolest tools, but some attention ought to be paid to retaining what makes her fun to play now.

You know, because Melee.

Zaaji

Smash Rookie
*Samus jumps in the air and does her Dair..."I whoop yo head boy, you know I will."

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Within those 10 minutes I have tried using a wii remote and nun chuck. It fails me :/
Snake's dragging works by using the Side Taunts. The Default control on the Wii remote and nunchuck does not have the dpad set to Side Taunt. If you make a name and set your sides on your dpad to be Side Taunt, you will be able to do the grab and drag with Snake using the Wii remote and nunchuck.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
For Kirby's stone move:
-Should be able to act out of it much quicker so that he can follow up on it and have more aerial control.
-More shield damage and Knockback Growth
-Should have a hitbox when he initially transforms that sends people horizontally.
-Lastly, it would be cool if he could slide while using stone if he dashes before using it like here.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
For Kirby's stone move:
-Should be able to act out of it much quicker so that he can follow up on it and have more aerial control.
-More shield damage and Knockback Growth
-Should have a hitbox when he initially transforms that sends people horizontally.
-Lastly, it would be cool if he could slide while using stone if he dashes before using it likehere.
Those are damn cool ideas.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
I hope these things hasn't already been suggested for Yoshi...

His Neutral Special could have the option to slightly angle with the Control Stick/Pad before Yoshi sticks his tongue out. And if needed, the range and/or damage could be reduced to help balance out the ability to angle. But I assume even with those changes, the ability to angle would still be unbalanced for Yoshi. The same could also be done for his Grab, but that would be blowing balance out the window.

For his Down Special, he should also have the Jump Cancel buff that was given to Bowser's Down Special. Though the height of his Flutter Jump might cause balance issues. Also keep the launching hit that was given to this move in Brawl. But if the Jump Cancel does get added to this move, that could also cause balance problems...

For his Side Special, remove the disabled fall when the move ends in the air. And instead, make him unable to use the move again until he lands on the ground. The turning speed could also be slightly increased. He could also have the ability to accelerate faster, deal slightly more damage, but have less control the longer he rolls in the egg, but the buffs are removed if he reverses his direction.

For his Up Special, keep the distance gained when used in the air that Brawl has. That was a great buff in my opinion.

For his Final Smash, he should have the option to only spit the Fireball when the Attack Button (A Button) is pressed, and to spew his flames when the Special Button (B Button) is pressed.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Reposting a likely unbalanced idea I had for Yoshi in the SSB4 Speculation forums.
Had an interesting idea. What if you could side b out of shield, and shield out of side b? You'd have a great and really safe approach. Imagine doing a side b and then inputting a shield grab so you slide really far while doing it. Or using side b Oos to escape from pressure before rolling back and grabbing the opponent.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
Reposting a likely unbalanced idea I had for Yoshi in the SSB4 Speculation forums.
That does seem a bit unbalanced, though it sounds like a great concept.

One way it could be balanced out is to give more start-up lag to the Side Special Start when used during Shielding. And have a transitioning animation when shielding out of Side Special.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
That does seem a bit unbalanced, though it sounds like a great concept.

One way it could be balanced out is to give more start-up lag to the Side Special Start when used during Shielding. And have a transitioning animation when shielding out of Side Special.
That would work. All I want is to side b away from shield pressure and then roll back to grab the poor guy who thought Yoshi would be just as easy to pressure as Melee.:demon:
Or just do a super slidey grab from Side B in general. That was one of my favorite things about Brawl-.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I mused in the SmashMods idea thread that it'd be cool if Yoshi could do any of his specials from shield, in exchange for not being able to jump, which would work with his playstyle focus on the transition from defense to offense.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I wonder where Neko went with that Olimar character basis.

Because I'm all for having less Pikmin that live longer, a much slower pluck, and them not switching between attacks.

You can do that silly flower thing too if you want along side that to emphasise keeping the few Min you have alive and using "C-stick side B" with a weight of thought to them.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
What do you guys think about SD Remix Kirby?

Personally, I love the ideas that went into this Kirby. The only things I would change are brawl up special distance/maneuverability, inhale increases size if held a long period of time(reference to RTDL), stone hitbox when transforming on the ground, give him back his melee down throw with slightly more pop up, give his SD remix down throw knockback to his forward throw and maybe change his dash attack.

Movement:
Less friction (longer wavedash)
Slightly faster run speed
Slightly shorter short hop
Greatly improved aerial mobility and horizontal air speed

Misc.:
Now weighs much more; around Fox's base weight

Jabs/Tilts:

Dash Attack: Grows into a strong KO move at higher percents
F-tilt (all angles): Steeper send angle for edgeguarding
U-tilt: Less cooldown to facilitate follow-ups
D-tilt: Less cooldown

Smash Attacks:
F-smash (all angles): Steeper send angle and slightly more knockback
U-smash: Sweetspot lasts longer.
D-smash: Vertical sending hitbox now sends horizontally

Aerials:

N-air: Drastically less start-up; more knockback and damage
F-air: Slightly less start-up; connects slightly better into third hit
U-air: Hitbox is now the entire arc of Kirby's moving foot
D-air: Slightly less start-up lag; landing hitbox pops opponents up for a follow-up

Grabs and Throws:

F-throw: Can no longer be escaped; can set up for tech chases
B-throw: Can no longer be escaped; can set up for combos on fastfallers
U-throw: Can KO at high percentages on floatier characters
D-throw: Sends at a steeper angle and has less cooldown to set-up tech chases; stomps do damage rather than all the damage done at the end of the move.

Specials:

Inhale: Swallowing the opponent is now slightly safer. Grab boxes have slightly better range.

* It is now impossible to force Kirby to lose a Copy ability.

Hammer:
Ground: Less start-up; all hitboxes on the hammer are sweetspots; does shield damage
Air: Less cooldown; sends at a steeper angle

Final Cutter: The downward slash always has a meteor hitbox

Stone:
Air: More knockback and less start-up

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
I agree, not being able to lose his ability will make Kirby better in the long run. It's so dumb when you finally get inhale on Samus and she lands her Dair right after she exits star and you lose the ability -_-. I like the changes especially the weight change being closer to Fox, I know Kirby is supposed to be light but he dies ridiculously fast. I think most of those changes to Kirby are good. SD Remix does a good job.

Samus SD Remix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5NusyuMPo

Samus

Movement:
Air mobility improved

Jabs/Tilts:
Jab1: Faster IASA.
Jab2: Sends opponents further away.
U-tilt: Samus's shin is invincible during the attack.
D-tilt: Faster IASA for added safety.

Smash Attacks:
F-smash (all angles): N/A
U-smash: Entirely new move; vertical KO move with suction hitboxes at Samus's feet.

Grabs and Throws:

Standing Grab, Dash Grab, and Extenders: Grapple Beam can now grab airborne foes

Specials:

Charge Shot:

* Charge Shot levels all do some shield damage and are slightly more powerful

Missile:

* Homing Missiles last longer now
* Homing Missiles accelerate for a slightly longer time
* Homing Missiles home slightly better

Bomb: Knockback adjusted to better combo foes

These are all good suggestions for what PM Samus could look like.

CoeusFreeze

Smash Cadet
I mained Olimar in Brawl and I personally don't see how lots of the changes proposed here would be viable to his game plan. While the idea of being quickly able to call certain pikmin to the front is a fantastic idea IMO, having less pikmin and a longer pluck would be counterintuitive to Olimar's versatility and zoning. The pikmin are weak foot soldiers. It makes sense for them to be frail but numerous. Olimar to me already felt rather melee-suited with his mobility and control, so I think that the changes should be mostly subtle (with the exception of his dspecial, which could benefit from tweaking).

Also, here are some changes I would suggest for Olimar:

Make his pikmin throw jump cancelable, like ZSS paralyzer.

Give the pikmin chain more consistent damage and knockback. It felt too random in brawl.

Give his grab either less range or slower recovery. It was way too spammable.

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
this next suggestion more of an aesthetic suggestion for Samus. I noticed that in all of her games she gets different suits and they all look similar but with noticeable differences and I was wondering if it were possible to put this in Project M. So Samus' different colors wouldn't just be different colors they would be different suits so that the models themselves are different from one another. Her dark suit could be vertexed to look just like her Dark Suit in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I'd like to see one of her colors become the PED suit from Metroid Prime 3. Her pink suit could become the Light Suit from MP2. Her Pink suit could become the Brawl default suit so that her default could be the PED suit Samus. The others should be tweaked so that they resemble the other Metroid games. I would rather the team keep the suits strictly Samus only and not Dark Samus. I know people are fans of Dark Samus and wanted her in Brawl but that's just too bad. Here are some suggestions to play with:

Phazon Suit Samus from MP1: http://s496.photobucket.com/user/DragoOro/media/Custom Textures/al_090509_2345binout.jpg.html
Dark Suit Samus from MP2: http://s214.photobucket.com/user/josewii/media/textures/35d59pk.jpg.html
Light Suit Samus from MP2:http://i.imgur.com/Jjmrr.jpg
Classic Samus: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8394/al1108291609binout.jpg
Fusion Phazon Suit: http://oi52.tinypic.com/sgs6tj.jpg
Other M Samus: http://i.imgur.com/pHbO0sh.jpg
PED Suit: http://kc-mm.com/Brawl Media/SuperSmashBrothersBrawlNA_607-1.png
Super Metroid Samus: http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5609/al1107182215binout.jpg

As you can See she has a ton of options and you can even mix the models and colors around to make a special Samus just for PM. All of these can be found on brawlvault btw. Not to mention with the release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy you could probably just go into the games' files themselves and pull the models so they are exact and aren't just the Brawl versions or vertexed versions. I'm also sure the team could do better vertex editing for the models than some of these. Can't wait to see what you guys do.

Top Bottom