• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Idea Submission Thread

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
<Fly edit> There were a ton of character submission threads, so I merged them all into one general purpose character idea submission thread. Enjoy.</Fly edit>

I didn't see any of these threads from Smods ported over to SWF, so I thought I might as well get at least one over here so that our newer ideas wouldn't be lost. It's probably better for such opinions to be placed here than on other general sub-forums, like the Social Thread, anyway.

My recent thoughts on Kirby:
Bubbaking said:
I know Smods is gonna be closed pretty soon, so before it is, I wanna throw out this idea real quick. The consensus seems to be that Kirby's Melee nair really sucks because it's a weak single-hit move with a small hitbox. However, I really think that just transforming it into a sex kick takes away from Kirby's uniqueness and individuality. In addition, a sex kick encourages 'sloppy play' as it can be thrown out imprecisely in place of other aerials and still achieve good results.

A sex kick nair can be used when one doesn't want to worry about what aerials to use in a certain situation, and it lasts long enough to cover a large amount of air space with one use. Not only that, a sex kick would be redundant with both fair (hopefully improved for P:M) and bair. RAR bair and DJ turnaround bair can all cover the same areas that a sex kick nair could (with considerably more power) and a good fair would probably be better for comboing. However, a sex kick nair would just take away from the decision-making process of using the best move because one could just use nair instead of either of these moves in most situations and still attain the results desired.

I propose that Kirby retain his Melee nair animation and it be given properties similar to either Wolf's nair or Ivy's nair.

A nair similar to Wolf's would be a great combo starter that would also break CC (something that a sex kick nair won't do). It could combo into things like grab or his tilts. A nair similar to Ivy's would also break CC and it could be a great combo starter at low to mid %'s and a good combo finisher at high %'s. I think both of these ideas should at least be tested out before a sex kick nair is automatically reverted to.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't have much post 64 kirby experience, but I never got the forward b. What does the hammer accomplish that a good forward smash wouldn't already? I'm not saying its useless, i'm just interested in hearing what gameplay advancements it allows because they all feel pretty unclear to me.

yogurtgun1245

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't have much post 64 kirby experience, but I never got the forward b. What does the hammer accomplish that a good forward smash wouldn't already? I'm not saying its useless, i'm just interested in hearing what gameplay advancements it allows because they all feel pretty unclear to me.
They found that Kirby had animations in what seemed to be planned that he could move with his side B and release it on command. That addition could up the functionality of the hammer by quite a bit.
[COLLAPSE="Pictures"]

[/COLLAPSE]

bubbaking

Smash Hero
That's a pretty interesting idea! :)

The hammer is supposed to be much stronger than the fsmash so that it's more rewarding as an early KO option with a good read. If something like dthrow > hammer TC could lead to early KOs the same way Samus and DK can get early KOs with their nB TCs, then I could see the hammer being a good asset. As for aerial hammer, I believe it's supposed to help his recovery while also still being a powerful attack (the vBrawl version).

himemiya

Smash Lord
Character Idea Submission: Olimar

Since there is no other place to post and I not expecting a idea forum soon so why not revive oilmar's idea thread?

Here are my ideas.
Just had a thought, what if oilmar neutral b act like snake b move? I think it goes well with my move change idea. They automaticly die in 5secs. If its not an hassle can they change his special fall animation to him looking like he is sky diving?

tsukikomi' pid='102327' dateline='1350260080 said:
tsukikomi' pid='97476' dateline='1348599704 said:
tsukikomi' pid='89500' dateline='1345751704 said:
copy/pasted for second time

instead of having to pull out pkmn everytime to die (eventually) a certain pkmn should pop out for certain moves

Usmash purple
Ssmash red
Dsmash yellow

Sb white
Db act as a powersheid and reflect projectiles
recovery footstoll on purple pkmn
Nb pulls out pull out puple pkmn(chargeable like a smash) in the air throws it like side b

fair/bair red
dair purple
uair yellow

hope you this into consideration for future refernce KTHXBAI
This idea still stands. Also like to add down b to act like fox shine and pm wario dsmash.
Just gonna revamp my ideas a little.

I like the idea that a certain pikmin pops out for certain moves so I wouldn't change that one and it should be apart of the game (or just *** oilmar)

(fsmash) red pikmin with the animation of a jouster stabbing, knockback the same but some end lag
(dsmash) yellow pikmin charge up animation of him making an x symbol then whips them out with holding the pikmin on the ground with the hitbox starting from the bottom
(usmash) purple pikmin just with more range

(nair) spin the white pkimin around (like marths but weaker so it can be a combo starter)

(upb) I did like the helicopter idea someone mentioned so use that one
(downb) I did like the idea of it having shine properties
(sideb) it can have two options: White pikmin doing what it does on brawl and purple pikmin knock the opponent to you (if you seen zzs sibeb or naruto sideb on ssf2 (fanmade sprite game) you'll know what I'm talking about

(dtilt) slams a purple pikmin to the ground thus making a meteor/spke

his grabs/throws being blue pikmin and they don't fall out the stage

tell me what you think?
What if oilmar purpose for down b was for super-armored purposes so he can espace to the ground better.

splat

Smash Lord
We should revive the ones that haven't been released if there isn't gonna be a forum for this there should at least have a sticky for the character idea submission thread.
Perhaps they didn't make them with a purpose; maybe they've fleshed out the characters far enough, or at least have a proper direction to go with them and don't really need suggestions anymore. Either way, I think a single suggestion thread would be more than plenty.

That being said, I still want my different-colored Yoshi eggs.

edit: oops, just noticed the thread you made on this subject. Oh well, point still stands.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
There had been a few ideas thrown around on the smashmods forum that I thought I'd leave here for whoever hasn't seen them-- I thought it would be neat to give Kirby some more moves that reference some of the other abilites that he had in his actual games (aside from fighter/ninja/suplex).

*A burning tackle F-smash that propels Kirby forward and has strong knockback. I could see that being a pretty neat finsher after a D-throw (especially if Kirby can techchase with it.)
Personally, I would love to see the burning tackle return as Kirby's dash attack (provided they powered up the move and fixed the lag issues), but I'm probably alone on that one, however...

* I think it would be nice if Kirby's beam attack could be implemented into his moveset somehow.Could it function as one of Kirby's aerials, or a Ftilt, perhaps? Bubbaking raises a good point about Kirby's Fair being a vaulable combo tool, and replacing Kirby's Bair or Uair (arguably his most useful aerials) would probably be a bad move.

* Is it possible to give characters floats if they didn't originally have them? If so, I like the idea of Kirby being able to float with his parasol by holding the jump button (the same way Peach does.)

* I think it would be neat if Wheel Kirby became Kirby's new "roll" animation. (This is pretty much a purely aesthetic change, for the sake of canon to be honest.)

* I also think that Stone (vB) should send foes flying at a horizontal angle, for gimping purposes.

* Kirby's mirror split from Superstar would be an awesome taunt.

What do you guys think? Sorry if any of this sounds underpowered or totally OP. :shyguy:

/the carbonated noob

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I remember someone posted an Olimar idea that I really liked...

(disclaimer:THIS WAS HIS OR HER IDEA AND I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR IT)

Someone suggested that Olimar's max pikmin count be reduced to 3... and that whichever pikmin he had out would be the one he used for all of his Pikmin-centric moves.

The Pikmin wouldn't automatically switch after attacks-- they'd only switch if they died, or if Olimar re-ordered them himself.

I personally like the idea because it gives him a variety of different potential playstyles and options, but doesn't get the player too caught up in trying to micromanage their pikmin after their every move. I don't imagine too many players would want to be caught up doing that in a Melee environment while trying to fight against the likes of Fox.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully they make his throws able to Kirbycide like in Melee. One if the reasons I disliked Brawl Kirby was his Kirbycide game was mainly reduced to Swallowciding.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
When could he ever pull out pikmin out of thin air:confused:

I think his original mechanics from brawl was just fine, it just needed a little tweaking. I was intrigued with the idea of the pikmin getting stronger the longer they're alive. And Olimar gets a substantial buff right off the bat with the new tethering system. I'm just getting started.

I remembered talking about him multiple times before on smashmods. *sigh* I'll be back.

The Pikmin wouldn't automatically switch after attacks-- they'd only switch if they died, or if Olimar re-ordered them himself.
^This^
^Very much this^

Vashimus

Smash Master
Hopefully they make his throws able to Kirbycide like in Melee. One if the reasons I disliked Brawl Kirby was his Kirbycide game was mainly reduced to Swallowciding.
This is a bad idea. I agree with Roooster's original post on Smashmods regarding getting rid of Kirbycide. It basically encourages edge-camping for Kirby, hoping for back throw/forward throw/up throw suicide. The goal should be to give Kirby tools to fight effectively so he wouldn't have to resort to cheap tricks like this. All of his throws should not be able to suicide with the opponent. Swallowcide is also pretty BS, since it's not really a suicide. In the frames that the opponent dies first, Kirby is free to float back to safety.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
This is a bad idea. I agree with Roooster's original post on Smashmods regarding getting rid of Kirbycide. It basically encourages edge-camping for Kirby, hoping for back throw/forward throw/up throw suicide. The goal should be to give Kirby tools to fight effectively so he wouldn't have to resort to cheap tricks like this. All of his throws should not be able to suicide with the opponent. Swallowcide is also pretty BS, since it's not really a suicide. In the frames that the opponent dies first, Kirby is free to float back to safety.
It is not about kirby having to have those "cheap tricks". Its about those tricks being ****ing sweet and leading to wonderful bouts of laughter.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Maybe incorporate the dpad to help switch their order in place of taunts. Left and right instantly cycles. Free's up down b.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Character Idea Submission: Yoshi

Let's talk about everyone's favorite dinosaur. Everybody else is doing it, so I guess "Why not". There are alot of people anticipating this lukewarm-at-worst character debuting in the P:M environment, and I would like to share my thoughts/ideas for the team and fans to chew on.
These are the result of what I saw in the streams and my two cents on how to make yoshi leave the opponent with egg on their face.

[COLLAPSE="This is a long read. Proceed with caution."]Shield: Let's have yoshi's unique shield make more sense. I recalled someone saying that yoshi should not have a non-pokable shield. This makes alot of sense, since no part of yoshi's skeleton is actually visable. The game acts as though yoshi's feet are sticking out of the bottom and hopefully the team can have this issue dealt with.

Neutral B: I've seen how in earlier streams, Yoshi's tongue was longer when doing this move. I think the team should keep this. Not much else I have to say about this one, it's a nice tweak(note I did not say buff). Though I think the opponent would have a better chance of breaking out of the tongue when you try to reel them in. I call this the tongue reel. When you tongue reel, you can reel in the opponent (see why it's called that?); leading to an opening. This was something that happens in brawl, if the team decided to fix this, then that's cool. It's really dependent on the opponent and not something you can practice. It'll be better to fix this imo.

Side B:
Ground
Taking the idea from bBrawl, side b attack should have constant armor. Though I can think of it two ways. It could either have 5% armor, like squirtle's side b. Or the threshold can gradually increase the longer it travels in one direction; starting low then ending at like 10%-12%, or something. Then have it reset when he turns around or stops to break out of it.
Speaking of which, I've noticed in streams that Yoshi could act instantly after breaking out of side b. Thank You!

Air
I've also noticed that Yoshi can regain his second jump if he initiated and breaks out of side b in the air. This is a good idea; and not broken, because he cannot get unlimited virtical distance this way. Though it makes him alot more of a ***** to kill. Just how I like 'em;)

Up B: Keep the lift you get from brawl. Not much else can be said about that. I also think that the eggs should not break until it makes contact with something. When it's thrown offstage, have them break when they are out of boundaries. This will yoshi's edgegaurd all the more better. Another thing is to have yoshi's egg throw trajectories similar to melee's.

Down B: The only thing I can think of here is that it should have increased shield damage. Not as much as bowser's, but more than it was in brawl. Otherwise it's fine.

Utilt: 64 Utilt is a nice touch. I'm not sure about the knockback difference, but if anything, the hitbox is bigger.

Dtilt: As long as it has melee properties, I am alright with this move. Speaking of which...

Dsmash: Please turn Dsmash back to its melee glory. Brawl's Dsmash was good, but melee's was stronger and sent off at a lower angle. Imo, it was his best kill move on ground. You can keep brawl's animation, but please have him use his melee Dsmash.

Fair: His 64 fair was fantastic! So glad you guys included this. Don't get rid of it, please.

Nair: Probably his BnB arial (next to Uair; which doesn't get a section, because I'm alright with either), Nair should also be restored to melee properties. Like I said, you can keep the animation or the hitbox; though I'd advise it should be changed, too.

DJC: Have it similar to Ness:M or Lucas:M. Hold double jump: it'll be like brawl. Don't hold Double Jump: it'll be like melee. Simples.

Parry: Saving the best for last. Parry is king of the land of the Yoshis. I don't care if Yoshi is the last character done, this must be utilized. End of scussion.
[/COLLAPSE]
I am not saying you should apply all these changes at once, if you do, then Yoshi will be a broken character. But I want the team to look and consider these changes. The ones I said I saw on stream, you should consider keeping. Goes to show that you guys are shoving Yoshi in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

Let's hear you guys' Ideas of Yoshi. And hopefully, it'll make him grow a little happier.

Vashimus

Smash Master
It is not about kirby having to have those "cheap tricks". Its about those tricks being ****ing sweet and leading to wonderful bouts of laughter.
This is coming from the same person that was passionate about game balance and how the PMBR should make it more of a priority in the future than they already do. No matter how hilarious Kirbycide is, it's still bad game design.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Samus Ideas

-Crouch goes into morphball - moves around like Zss, Snake, and Sheik's crouch (down-b still bomb)

- Power bomb: hold downb

- Dash-attack: Looks like speedboost (perhaps even lets you crouch in the middle of it, and can launch yourself a certain distance, keeping the same effects the non-crouched dashattack has - percent, hitstun, knockback, etc).

- Different beams: change them with the taunts (or, even while charging)

- Charging mid-air

- Zair (like Brawl)

- Super missiles: hold sideb

- Moonwalk: since moonwalk is so cool in Super Metroid, Samus being able to moonwalk (like Falcon can) would be really cool.

That's all I've got for now.

himemiya

Smash Lord
Read the OP regarding Kirby's 64 nair. :p As for 64 fair, you want Kirby to have two drill kicks? :confused:
For kirby's fair I said it should be like a mix of both 64 and brawl
Copy/Pasted kirby ideas
tsukikomi' pid='92249' dateline='1346724240 said:
Bubbaking' pid='92037' dateline='1346681451 said:
Oh, I know about those, but those vids are OLD. They're all the way back from 2010! So many things may have changed since then. If anything, you should probably state the things from that build of Kirby that you would like the PMBR to keep in their latest build.

BuckOhFive' pid='91973' dateline='1346647023 said:
Okay then

Keep the nair exactly the same as it was when p:m started
Have his u-throw be a kill move (like lucas/mewtwo)
for his hammer ko should be on ground 30%(its the same as falcon/warlock punch) and in the air 50%
down b react faster by speeding up the animation
neutral b react quicker and have more range
up-b maybe an option to just go up or go up&down like hold on the b to also go down if not then tap up-b to just go up
gonna add a few more thing

if its possible could they have the screen move with kirby's up-throw like on the 64?

His fair should be like a mix of his 64 and melee fair that has the last 2 hits be disjointed so you'll have the option to kill with or not

They bring back his 64 dash

his down-b really just need zero lag/cooldown time so he wouldn't get punish so easily

As for that bring back his melee sibe b in the air I personally think they should keep it the way it is but it could have a command input like rolling the joystick around twice

for his upb it should have the option to just go up or go up and down by pressing the a button
Axcel' pid='106802' dateline='1351549261 said:
What do you guys think about grounded rock starting slightly in the air so that Kirby falls a short distance hitting whoever is close by?
It can work^

We might as well give him the ability to grab the ledges when down-bing
So making his upsmash as powerful as fox (it short range so its cool) and the dsmash sweetspot gimp recoveries would be a good idea?

cannedbread

Smash Lord
kirbycide was such a cute gimmick
but that's all it ever will be
what i'm saying is that fthrow and bthrow suicide things should stay but it shouldn't be centralized because it's too gimmicky but it's still too fun to go away completely

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
We didn't want to clog the main forum with idea threads, and we aren't getting another subforum to discuss a couple of unreleased characters. This was the best solution for the situation we could come up with.

:phone:

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
But it's just 6 threads! This just looks convoluted and unorganized.

now noone will see my Yoshi post:urg:

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Get that smirk off that face.lol

I worked hard to write that post. Digging up old archives and thinking of puns was not easy, ya know.:hulk:

Guess I'll just bump the suggestion till I get a response. :/

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Why don't you guys just choose one character to discuss for about a week or so, and then alternate. That way the majority of the ideas for one character are still grouped together.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Okay Kirby talk. GO!

Yeah, you're right. two drill attacks may seem a little excessive. If anything have his current fair hits connect better.

As for the burning running attack idea I've seen circulate. Have it have less cooldown (har) and have it not go as far. You don't have any control until the move ends. On top of that, the move is really easy to avoid and shield, which makes it really punishable. My opinion, either change these or keep brawl's yo-yo spin attack.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
The brawl dash attack isn't that great, its pretty easy to di out of and doesn't really lead into anything, at least in my experience.

himemiya

Smash Lord
Good idea. I vote that we start with Kirby, since that was the original purpose of this thread. Then I guess we'll cycle depending on who started discussing what char first.

Edit: So going down this thread, the order should be:
  1. Kirby
  2. Olimar
  3. Yoshi
  4. Samus
Or we could just mention the character name for each post and use the qoute function for responses so people will know what we're referring too. Also you left out metaknight.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I also left out ICs. I was referring only to chars that have been mentioned in this thread. I can't come up with an order for those chars based on post time if they were never posted about.

I think it's better if we stick to one char for a week, like Mr. Pickles suggested. If we try to keep up separate convos for 4 or more separate chars in one thread, chaos will most definitely ensue.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Kirby Talk: Turbo Stone

Another cool idea would be his turbo stone. While running, kirby can down b, causing him to slide a short distance with stone and have a constant hitbox. Heck, you can not have a constant hitbox and it'll still be good, because you slide him offstage. I also liked the idea of giving stone more horizontal knockback; this can incorperate into turbo stone nicely.

WhyNotTurtles?

Smash Rookie
Kirby!

Another cool idea would be his turbo stone. While running, kirby can down b, causing him to slide a short distance with stone and have a constant hitbox.
That's a really great idea. It could even be used as an escape option toward the ledge.

Kirby's move-set should be relatively simple because he's cute(er), pink(er), and squishy(er than Jiggly). I'm okay with which ever character model from N64, Melee, or Brawl you want to use, but the only thing I would change is allowing a player to control at which trajectory Kirby spits out an opponent.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi Talk: Dair

Sorry, Bubba. I feel waiting two weeks will be too long. Thinking further into this situation, I think people should have the freedom to talk about whoever they want if they have a good idea right away. As long as they signify the character, like what I'm doing. Anyway.

Dair: Maybe if you hold the attack button, or down on the c-stick, Yoshi can have Flutter Kick as an endless attack. If you think that's too much, maybe add some endlag when the attack is done.

[COLLAPSE="This is all the suggestions I have soo far."]Shield: Let's have yoshi's unique shield make more sense. I recalled someone saying that yoshi should not have a non-pokable shield. This makes alot of sense, since no part of yoshi's skeleton is actually visable. The game acts as though yoshi's feet are sticking out of the bottom and hopefully the team can have this issue dealt with.

Neutral B: I've seen how in earlier streams, Yoshi's tongue was longer when doing this move. I think the team should keep this. Not much else I have to say about this one, it's a nice tweak(note I did not say buff). Though I think the opponent would have a better chance of breaking out of the tongue when you try to reel them in. I call this the tongue reel. When you tongue reel, you can reel in the opponent (see why it's called that?); leading to an opening. This was something that happens in brawl, if the team decided to fix this, then that's cool. It's really dependent on the opponent and not something you can practice. It'll be better to fix this imo.

Side B:
Ground
Taking the idea from bBrawl, side b attack should have constant armor. Though I can think of it two ways. It could either have 5% armor, like squirtle's side b. Or the threshold can gradually increase the longer it travels in one direction; starting low then ending at like 10%-12%, or something. Then have it reset when he turns around or stops to break out of it.
Speaking of which, I've noticed in streams that Yoshi could act instantly after breaking out of side b. Thank You!

Air
I've also noticed that Yoshi can regain his second jump if he initiated and breaks out of side b in the air. This is a good idea; and not broken, because he cannot get unlimited virtical distance this way. Though it makes him alot more of a ***** to kill. Just how I like 'em;)

Up B: Keep the lift you get from brawl. Not much else can be said about that. I also think that the eggs should not break until it makes contact with something. When it's thrown offstage, have them break when they are out of boundaries. This will yoshi's edgegaurd all the more better. Another thing is to have yoshi's egg throw trajectories similar to melee's.

Down B: The only thing I can think of here is that it should have increased shield damage. Not as much as bowser's, but more than it was in brawl. Otherwise it's fine.

Utilt: 64 Utilt is a nice touch. I'm not sure about the knockback difference, but if anything, the hitbox is bigger.

Dtilt: As long as it has melee properties, I am alright with this move. Speaking of which...

Dsmash: Please turn Dsmash back to its melee glory. Brawl's Dsmash was good, but melee's was stronger and sent off at a lower angle. Imo, it was his best kill move on ground. You can keep brawl's animation, but please have him use his melee Dsmash.

Fair: His 64 fair was fantastic! So glad you guys included this. Don't get rid of it, please.

Dair: Maybe if you hold the attack button, or down on the c-stick, Yoshi can have Flutter Kick as an endless attack. If you think that's too much, maybe add some endlag when the attack is done.

Nair: Probably his BnB arial (next to Uair; which doesn't get a section, because I'm alright with either), Nair should also be restored to melee properties. Like I said, you can keep the animation or the hitbox; though I'd advise it should be changed, too.

DJC: Have it similar to Ness:M or Lucas:M. Hold double jump: it'll be like brawl. Don't hold Double Jump: it'll be like melee. Simples.

Parry: Saving the best for last. Parry is king of the land of the Yoshis. I don't care if Yoshi is the last character done, this must be utilized. End of scussion.
[/COLLAPSE]

*Stickied from OP*
I am not saying you should apply all these changes at once, if you do, then Yoshi will be a broken character. But I want the team to look and consider these changes. The ones I said I saw on stream, you should consider keeping. Goes to show that you guys are shoving Yoshi in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

Let's hear you guys' Ideas of Yoshi. And hopefully, it'll make him grow a little happier.

Top Bottom