• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Okay onto some serious stuff. Is it just me or is Digimon have been slept on the hardest and to an extent, underestimated by a lot of people?

I mean back in FP1 I get it because there's still a chance that Tekken is getting a DLC and Heihachi became playable with a merit that he has been refer to by Sakurai back in Smash 4 and with how he has been breaking his own word ever since Brawl, there's a possibility.

— Heihachi Mii drop with Min Min —

Okay now this is the part where everyone abort the ship and hop onto S.S Lloyd of Tales as the next possible Bamco rep with a merit that Tales is "the 5th big RPG franchise" and again mentioned by Sakurai, taking the safe route (Oh, and this is where people start glaring at Yuri but I'll explain later).

— MonHun Mii drop with Pyra/Mythra —

Okay, only 2 character left and we know for sure that 1 spot is reserved for Lloyd mii, now this where everyone started a fisticuffs between Lloyd and Yuri on who's going to be playable, logically this where Yuri wins by the merit of him being the most popular character in the series and still holding onto Tales being in a list of RPGs. But now this where I'm a lot more doubtful whether or not we get another Bamco at all.

Like we all know the main problem of Digimon being whether the original V-pets count as a video game or that the general consensus still think it's an anime (which to not repeat the same question again just click here for the conversation), after that we all know how much legacy the series has: being the series that popularized pet simulation game that even GameFreak copy that idea in the form of Pokemon Yellow and probably the biggest hey is that the series considered by public to be a rival to Pokemon but more on the anime side and more smaller scale than Nintendo (Mario) Vs. SEGA (Sonic) and is something Sakurai would do to settle the series on a truce for the first time. And yet people don't give much or even a cent and quickly dismissed. I know that we don't technically need a second rep for Bamco but even if we have been given multiple option on the table and the big hitter is off the table Digimon has been pass off in favor of series like say Dark Souls or Xenosaga (not to say that's a bad choice).

Twilord

Smash Ace
Okay onto some serious stuff. Is it just me or is Digimon have been slept on the hardest and to an extent, underestimated by a lot of people?

Honestly yeah. A lot of people are astounded that I tend to give it very high odds.

But it's exactly the kind of game series Nintendo most admire. Miyamoto referenced Tamagotchi in a keynote speech at Game Developer's Conference. One of Sakurai's first projects outside Nintendo was Mushiking, that franchise is deeply weird but it seems to have been a virtual pet franchise belonging to SEGA which had an arcade-came built around a card game - and as weird as all that is, Digimon was king of the V-Pets and as an aside one of the major card games for Japan in that time frame.

Actually Digimon has worn a lot of hats in Japan; sometimes being the V-Pet games, sometimes card games, sometimes the shows, sometimes the Story games, sometimes the World games. If you had to narrow that down "video game series" is definitely the most applicable, even ignoring that all quotes on the matter suggest both Nintendo and Bandai Namco firmly see it as one.

Everything that got Terry in fits for Agumon, arguably even better.

In my opinion Agumon compares with Crash for the "should be here by now, but works for a grand finale" characters.

My apologies to Tales Of fans but I am not sure it has the sheer "wow" factor needed to be the last character, and we are getting there fast... BUT a franchise that is at once the heir to Tamagotchi and the one true rival to Pokémon? That sounds like a show stopper and would explain why it has taken so long get a second Bamco rep; that is such an obvious showstopper they would definitely save it for that.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Honestly, at this point I feel like no matter how hard you try to reason with series that is considered an underdog that is odd in the public eye you have to hope that someone make a convincing leak about that character, I know it feel desperate but that's how it works and has been successful multiple times. If it's not for that SNK copyright leak never have I ever in my life thought that people is fighting tooth and nail to consider its popularity in South America to justify that "hey, people there grew up playing KoF so it must be a deserving inclusion" or that there's an RPG that is older than DQ and has been lurking in the background till this day in the form of Falcom's Ys if not for that 4Chan post.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Honestly, at this point I feel like no matter how hard you try to reason with series that is considered an underdog that is odd in the public eye you have to hope that someone make a convincing leak about that character, I know it feel desperate but that's how it works and has been successful multiple times. If it's not for that SNK copyright leak never have I ever in my life thought that people is fighting tooth and nail to consider its popularity in South America to justify that "hey, people there grew up playing KoF so it must be a deserving inclusion" or that there's an RPG that is older than DQ and has been lurking in the background till this day in the form of Falcom's Ys if not for that 4Chan post.

Or we could make a really good meme image. A conspiracy theory wall with good information but also lots of string and blue tack. We could post it on Reddit and name it "Or Maybe YOU'RE Not Taking Smash Speculation Too Seriously Enough!"

Technomage

Smash Champion
New topic for Agumon: If his CP were to also come with a boss, what boss would you pick? I'd personally pick Arata Sanada , both his half-human and half-Eater form and his Eater Adam form.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
New topic for Agumon: If his CP were to also come with a boss, what boss would you pick? I'd personally pick Arata Sanada , both his half-human and half-Eater form and his Eater Adam form.
I think Digimon's lore provides a much more unique choice, the Royal Knights. Instead of having 1 big boss, we get a bunch of bosses at once, though their power is split on to them. Dunno if the Switch could handle them, especially as 13 at once sounds like hell regardless but it'd be fun

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Feels like that's a bit of a niche pick it's like having Koume and Kotake, Ganon's caretaker be the boss and turn into Twinrova as a second phase instead of having beast Ganon, which a lot more people know. I feel like going with the classic Devimon or Piedmon is the best choice since they're kinda the antagonist of Adventures although something surprising in the same vein as Rayquaza would be cool where it's not the Digimon you are expecting but quickly grow attach to it. I don't necessary want an obvious evil-looking Digimon so any other Digimon that didn't met that criteria I'm fine with.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I think Digimon's lore provides a much more unique choice, the Royal Knights. Instead of having 1 big boss, we get a bunch of bosses at once, though their power is split on to them. Dunno if the Switch could handle them, especially as 13 at once sounds like hell regardless but it'd be fun
Maybe they could be split up, whether individually or into groups? Seems like it'd be more reasonable from a difficulty/gameplay standpoint, too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Maybe they could be split up, whether individually or into groups? Seems like it'd be more reasonable from a difficulty/gameplay standpoint, too.
Yeah groups sound ideal as you can give them all a few attacks and make them technically turnbased lmao, one goes after the other while you try to avoid the attack while hitting whoever's onscreen

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Okay is it me or everytime someone bring up a question about a specific Digimon to be included one answer always loop back to the Royal Knight, why is that lol? Seems like an important figure.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay is it me or everytime someone bring up a question about a specific Digimon to be included one answer always loop back to the Royal Knight, why is that lol?
The Royal Knights are this all powerful team of Digimon, the strongest group in the Digital World, basically the Avengers/Justice League of it's universe

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I'd go with Machinedramon, the OG Digimon Final Boss. Cool, powerful, threatening and arguably one of Digimon's most iconic monsters. And with the option of two killer soundtracks to go with the boss battle.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, Agumon's day is nearing it's end. All things considered, this has been a pretty eventful day, arguably the most discussion we've had yet. Unfortunately, we can't stay with a character too long, or else no other characters will get their day.

I'd wait for amageish amageish to add up the noms for this extension, but I'm not sure we've even gotten any more nominations anyways. Still, it's best to double-check. Aside from that, there's also ahemtoday ahemtoday and the extra noms to submit for next round.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
On it, chief! Man, y'all went wild today...

Technomage Technomage x30 (35 Total)
ahemtoday ahemtoday x5 (10 Total)
Yiptap Yiptap x10 (15 Total)
GolisoPower GolisoPower x10 (15 Total)
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote x5 (10 Total)
Twilord Twilord x30 (35 Total)
Commander_Alph Commander_Alph x15 (20 Total)
Gengar84 Gengar84 x10 (15 Total)
L Lionfranky x10 (15 Total)
C chocolatejr9 x5 (10 Total)
SharkLord SharkLord x15 (20 Total)
MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees x5 (10 Total)
PeridotGX PeridotGX x5 (10 Total)
Paraster Paraster x5 (10 Total)

I guess while I'm here, I'll put my ten noms toward Amaterasu.

Technomage

Smash Champion

I'll be placing 15 noms on Imperial, and 20 noms on Freddy.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

You, um, mentioned me twice...

Technomage

Smash Champion
Masked Man, eh? Well, should Claus be one of his alts? Hey, Smash bros. already spoiled Porky Minch.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, so I put together the noms that happened after amageish amageish added up the results of the first half. Anyways, new day; Masked Man from Mother 3
1622483155319.png

Alright, so first question: Who is this guy and what does he do?

Nomination: Amiya x20

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Honestly, to answer you guys' questions, to my knowledge, Masked Man is by far one of the most well-known boss fights and one of the biggest twists in the entirety of Mother 3. His role in the story is by far one of the most impactful in the history of the game, if not the entire franchise, up there with the likes of Porky. Though nowadays, he's on par with Mecha-Fiora as one of the worst-kept spoilers ever. He's got a sword arm and an arm cannon, and is partially adept in PSI like Lucas, not to mention a jetpack that he could definitely use as an Up B, so that's the moveset potential out the way.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
OK, so here's how you play Mother 3.

Yeah, not gonna humor legal avenues here. I can't share how to find a M3 rom, that's against the site rules and also the law, but I know where to find one.

Maxwell x10

Pillow

Smash Lord
So I've never played Mother 3, I'll just ask a couple of general questions

How similar would Mask Man's playstyle be to Ness/Lucas? I imagine he'd have different specials but would he still be floaty, light, have the psychic double jump, etc.?

Is there a stage that would be unique to Masked Man or would it just be a more general Mother 3 location?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never really played the Mother series so I don’t know much about the Masked Man. From what I gather, is he a villain? I’m always a fan of adding more villains.

Does the Mother series have any other cool music beyond what we already have that he could come with?

x15 Sarah Kerrigan

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Does the Mother series have any other cool music beyond what we already have that he could come with?
My picks:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Masked Man looks cool.

Can't speak on much else because I've never played an Earthbound game, I just he think he looks really cool.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Ness/Lucas as a swordfighter.

Sounds terrifying.

Are there any specific PSI techniques Masked Man could use that'd be particularly interesting?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ness/Lucas as a swordfighter.

Sounds terrifying.

Are there any specific PSI techniques Masked Man could use that'd be particularly interesting?
Well, according to some sources, he has a "Shield Killer" that I think he could use as a heavily-telegraphed shield-breaking Special a la Marthcina's Neutral B.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’ve never really played the Mother series so I don’t know much about the Masked Man. From what I gather, is he a villain? I’m always a fan of adding more villains.
Yes he is a villain. In my opinion, probably one of the most interesting villains in Nintendo's library.

For a while, he was brought up more often than Porky when discussing potential Mother newcomers. And before Brawl's full roster was known, he was highly speculated for that game, many people hoping for him instead of Lucas. He was very popular for quite some time.
How similar would Mask Man's playstyle be to Ness/Lucas? I imagine he'd have different specials but would he still be floaty, light, have the psychic double jump, etc.?
There's a lot of options. Honestly, he could be a semi-clone of Lucas in a few ways, as he is also capable of PSI. However, his electricity, mechanical wings, arm cannon, and sword give him more than enough for a cool moveset. Honestly, he's one of those characters where his moveset kind of just writes itself.

But yeah, having the same weight, speed, double jump animation, etc. as Lucas would be a cool way to show their connection to one another. You know, since their twins and all, in case anybody didn't know.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
I never played any of the Earthbound games before, but I think they deserve a new character, since they haven’t had one since Brawl.

Also, how do nominations work here?

Top Bottom