• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Twilord

Smash Ace
I feel like Agumon should keep his 3 branch Digivolution gimmick from Rumble Arena (Agumon - Greymon - Wargreymon) To make it more linear and also that specific branch used way more often in the anime (Greymon is used to fight big burly Digimon while Wargreymon is used to defeat interdimensional Digimon especially in the Tri anime)
Fair point BUT even the new anime is leaning into the branched evolution thing, and its always been important to the appeal of the V-Pets and RPGs. Its also ESSENTIAL to the awesome new card game.

Personally I just feel like Digimon should represent the V-Pet genre when its the only thing that can.

Agumon has 2 Incarnation,
How are you counting that?

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Personally I just feel like Digimon should represent the V-Pet genre when its the only thing that can.
Maybe we can have the mechanic from the V-pets be the way to evolve like balance out between beating enemy up, running and resting which is just being idle.

How are you counting that
It's just the anime, all the other agumon with the exception of Survive and Hakase Agumon is mostly blank slate wild digimon just like Pikachu.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
So my vision generally leans away from anime centric stuff... BUT if we get one 'Ash Greninja' like aspect...

Can it please be an instrumental cover of Butterfly?

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Can it please be an instrumental cover of Butterfly?
It's more fitting to have the Digirap first lmao

Anyway what would the stage be? There's multiple option like the original virtual pets kinda like Flat Zone to represent that authentic feel, the generic grass area and File City, Cyberspace EDEN from Cyber Sleuth to get that computer-y feeling that has been associated with the series, or all of them! Yes, all of them combined is possible by basing it off of the new Vital Bracelet that is recently released this year, to be more specific it is based on the DIGIMON PROJECT 2021 video posted on the official Bandai YouTube channel specifically episode 2.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
It's just the anime, all the other agumon with the exception of Survive and Hakase Agumon is mostly blank slate wild digimon just like Pikachu.
Doesn't even that give use a count of three? Or do you consider the reboot characters the same as their OG counterparts?

Personally I think there are through-lines between Marcus's, OG Tai's, 2020 Tai's, and Nokia's Agumons at the very least. I feel like a one-size-fits-all personality could be made based on that.

Maybe we can have the mechanic from the V-pets be the way to evolve like balance out between beating enemy up, running and resting which is just being idle.
That is certainly an interesting idea; essentially forcing him into a hit-and-run character. I assume you'd have Greymon be much more 'in your face' with foes?

God, I love the thrill of wondering how they'll make different characters. Agumon has so much potential that its basically got me tempted to learn how to mod older Smash games to try and make one of my concepts for him work.

Anyway what would the stage be? There's multiple option like the original virtual pets kinda like Flat Zone to represent that authentic feel, the generic grass area and File City, Cyberspace EDEN from Cyber Sleuth to get that computer-y feeling that has been associated with the series, or all of them!
I kinda liked the idea of Eden but with glitches that cause it to momentarily turn into biomes from the Digimon Rumble games.

But honestly your idea is better.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Is bringing Metalgreymon too much work for Sakurai? I was thinking like Greymon is easier for Agumon to digivolve into than Joker's Arsene. Metalgreymon would be harder to digivolve to or maintain than Little Mac's uppercut. Metalgreymon would consume meter faster, so players have to consider cancelling digivolution.

I prefer Wargreymon to Omegamon as final smash although Omegamon is my favorite Digimon. I would ne still hyped to see reversal though.

Nom: Ryza x max

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I was at work when this day started, so this might have already been asked, but what Digimon games MUST get content in Smash should Agumon join?

Also, don't forget to let the Agumon thread know about today.

Nominations: Freddy Fazbear xMax

Technomage

Smash Champion
I was at work when this day started, so this might have already been asked, but what Digimon games MUST get content in Smash should Agumon join?

Definitely Cyber Sleuth; it's one of the greatest Digimon games of all time.

Twilord

Smash Ace

There are three main series of Digimon games that are still getting new content somewhat regularly:

The OG V-Pets
The V-Pet/RPG hybrids - Commonly called the Digimon World games.
The RPGs - Commonly called the Digimon Story games.

I think the first release and most recent release for each of those should get something.

So that would be:
  • Digital Monster Vers. 1
  • Digimon World
  • Digimon World DS (despite the name, its actually the first 'Digimon Story' game)
  • Digimon World Next Order
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
  • Vitality Bracelet Digital Monster

That said, I also think there would be a bit of humour in having something from Digimon Rumble. Also a tease for Digimon Survive would definitely be in Bandai Namco's own best interest.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Since Sakurai is willing to include non-game content to the game at some extent (such as Final Fantasy getting songs from Advent Children), should Digimon get some non-game content, like the Digimon anime's intro theme?

Twilord

Smash Ace
Since Sakurai is willing to include non-game content to the game at some extent (such as Final Fantasy getting songs from Advent Children), should Digimon get some non-game content, like the Digimon anime's intro theme?

The Japanese theme for the original Adventure anime has kinda become a theme song for the franchise so that would be a nice inclusion. Who knows, maybe Sakurai added that Advent Children content in part to soften up fans for this possibility.

Do you think Omnimon might be the one to kill Dharkon? After Sephiroth killed Galeem someone has to, and he is the leader of The Royal Knights - the right hand of the very mind of reality, Yggdrasil, The World Server.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Do you think Omnimon might be the one to kill Dharkon? After Sephiroth someone has to, he is the leader of The Royal Knights - the right hand of the very mind of reality, Yggdrasil, The World Server.
Does this involve Metalgarurumon and Wargreymon fusing if so it'll be weird to have Metalgarurumon on board and not do anything, also how would that transcend into Agumon's reveal? Do they have to de-digivolve

(Also, this a great time for Graizen to be here, the guy that created the Agumon support thread he is always excited to discuss things like this as shown back in RTC)

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Does this involve Metalgarurumon and Wargreymon fusing if so it'll be weird to have Metalgarurumon on board and not do anything, also how would that transcend into Agumon's reveal?

Well the details of this would honestly depend on how Agumon's gimmick works. The way I picture it, either Red (for the humour) or Joker (cause Cyber Sleuth gets compared to SMT) become his Tamer during a moment of desperation after all their own tools fail. We see how powerful he can be...

But then we see it demonstrating the 'you failed your V-Pet' mechanic because he fought too hard against an army of Dharkon Clones, and is exhausted. Then we hear a voice asking Koromon a question.

"You'd never give up when they need you, would you?"

Koromon coughs, battered but determined.

"Of course not."

The voice seems amused by this reply.

"I knew you had it in; now get up so I can lend you my power."

Koromon glows and evolves to Agumon; who then jumps into the air and glows again; turning into WarGreymon's glowing orange disembodied head while shouting.

"Agumon Warp-Digifuse tooo..."

A glowing blue head spirals onto screen from behind the camera as it shouts.

"Gabumon Warp-Digifuse tooo..."

A cool animation plays as they combine into Omnimon.

With a single slash Omnimon gives every other Smash character room to breath as the evil army are sent backwards.

"Transcendant Sword!"

Omnimon quickly aims their canon at Dharkon, the brain of the army.

"Supreme Canon!"

Dharkon pops like a balloon.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, question time so it doesn't seem like I'm ignoring my own thread

Aside from Agumon, are there any other Digimon you'd like to see as a fighter? The bulk of my experience comes from the first three animes (Adventure, 02, Tamers), but I remember thinking Guilmon was pretty cool. Funnily enough, I believe he was originally made in-universe as someone who's "cooler than even Agumon."

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Aside from Agumon, are there any other Digimon you'd like to see as a fighter? The bulk of my experience comes from the first three animes (Adventure, 02, Tamers), but I remember thinking Guilmon was pretty cool. Funnily enough, I believe he was originally made in-universe as someone who's "cooler than even Agumon."
The only other Digimon I'm aware of that even gets close to rivaling Agumon's popularity, AFAIK, is Renamon. She's effectively the Lucario of the Digimon franchise, for good reason, and she's got more than enough potential as a Fighter.

amageish

Smash Master
One noms list, piping hot and ready!

50+ noms
Battletoads - x80
Magus (Chrono Trigger) - x75
Neku Sakuraba - x75
Crash Bandicoot - x75
Freddy Fazbear - x67
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x65
Gran/Djeeta - x60
Chosen Undead - x55
Maxwell - x50
Amaterasu - x50

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Frisk - x44
Cadence - x40
Saber - x40
Elma - x38
2B - x35
Amiya - x30

11-25 noms
Octoling - x25
Sarah Kerrigan - x20
Filia (Skullgirls) - x20
Black Mage - x20
Master Hand - x20
Laharl - x20
Endo Mamoru - x20
Maxwell - x15
Mega Man X - x15
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x5
2B - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Astral Chain rep - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ryza - x5

Twilord

Smash Ace

If Agumon is "the Pikachu and the Charmander" as some folk call it, then the alternative potential standalone fighter is Omnimon who is "the Charizard and the Mewtwo". They are the result of Agumon's most iconic Mega Level form and Gabumon (the Eevee and the Squirtle)'s most iconic Mega Level form fusing.

They are such a big deal that they were the first chase card of the new TCG and have already had a full set named after them. They also play a huge role in Cyber Sleuth. They are also the leader of the Twelve most iconic "Legendary" Digimon and the right hand of Yggdrasil, The World Server, the very mind of their reality.

If any Digimon got in over Agumon it would be them; they are such a big deal that if we get Agumon they single handedly max out the odds of Gabumon being the Bonus Fighter just so that if the two of them were on a team together when one of them got their Final Smash they would be able to fuse.

To the point where I have sorta theory crafted a version of my "branched evolution" gimmick for Gabumon.

Also they would allow for a really cool reveal scene; you see the have a - for a Mega Level Digimon - relatively simple form but one which is very relevant to Smash Bros.

One Arm is themed for War Greymon and has the ability to generate a Sword from the War Greymon head it has instead of a hand. The other Arm is themed for MetalGarurumon and has the ability to generate a Cannon from the MetalGarurumon head it has instead of a hand. Essentially meaning they are all three Mii Fighters styles in one.

And Digimon is on some level about software animism (and the effect of information technology on the occultist framework derived from combining ideas of Plato's World of Forms and collective consciousness if they can be applied to our technological psychic network of machines in a similar way).

Essentially it assigns a certain spiritual reality to (a lot of things but most importantly for our purposes) video game content.

In the most iconic Digimon movie Omnimon's body is formed for the first time in the franchise from the hopes and strength of kids the world over, all providing him their power the way a Tamer would; in order to stop a Virus Digimon who hacked the Pentagon from nuking Japan and starting World War 3. - If that premise sounds sorta familiar, Summer Wars is a spiritual re-imagining of Digimon's Our War Game.

So what I would love to see if they got Gabumon as a bonus fighter, or just went with Omnimon is based on that scenario.

Red becomes Agumon/WarGreymon's Tamer, Leaf/Joker/Legendary Sinnoh Trainer/Demi-Fiend becomes Gabumon/MetalGarurumon's Tamer. If separate they just did their individual Final Smashes but it couldn't turn the tide.

They are beaten down, barely alive. Joker (or whoever) and Red plead with them.

"I don't have some DigiFlute to wake you, but I want you to know you're not alone, okay? And reinforcements keep coming, they won't stop. Heroes from all over the multiverse are fighting for us; we're the only ones who can do it."

A panning shot over the battle shows different Mii Costume characters.

"Feel their hope, feel their strength."

"I feel them."

MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon fuse together, as the characters used for Mii Sword Fighters, Mii Brawlers, and Mii Gunners form their body.

From the battle field Sonic takes notice and draws Mario's attention.

"Whoa, Part WarGreymon..."

"Part MetalGarurumon!"

"They're Final Smashing together to become -"

The new hero decrees his name.

"Omnimon!"

Omnimon then decimates the army with their Transcendent Sword and obliterates Dharkon with their Supreme Canon.

(Despite a lot of people remembering that movie fondly; sadly the dubbed version is generally regarded as the most butchered piece of dubbed Digimon in a franchise famous for generally not doing that to its anime adaptation at a time when that was the norm... and yet despite being three Digimon movies crammed together with a short for some dumb other show by that production company shoved into it, it still kinda works.)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Here's a hypothetical challenger pack I whipped up for Agumon some time ago over on the General Discussion board:

Here's another one since I enjoy putting these together.

Fighter: Agumon (Digimon)

Colors:

References:
Yellow - Default
Red - Guilmon
Dark Blue - MetalGreymon (Virus)
Green - Betamon
Light Blue - Veemon
Pink - Koromon
White - SnowAgumon
Black - BlackAgumon

Stage: File Island
The stage shifts between various landscapes from the original Digimon World game, starting in the cyberspace arena of Mt. Infinity, before going through File City, Tropical Jungle, Great Canyon and Freezeland, at which point it loops back around. The transitions between each landscape happen akin to Castle Siege, but with a highly digitized effect that makes it look as if the landscape is loading in.

Music:
Normal Battle/Event Battle [Remix]
Machinedramon Battle [Remix]
Asuka City [Remix]
The Biggest Dreamer [Remix]
Reapermon's Den
The Cyber Sleuth
Royal Knight's Battle Theme
File City (Next Order)
Final Boss Theme (Next Order)
Victory Theme: Winner (Digimon World 3)

Spirits:
Agumon [Fighter Spirit]
Greymon [Fighter Spirit]
MetalGreymon [Fighter Spirit]
WarGreymon [Fighter Spirit]
Koromon [Novice ★]
Gabumon [Novice ★] (Enchances to MetalGarurumon)
Veemon [Novice ★]
Guilmon [Advanced ★★]
Tyrannomon [Advanced ★★]
Numemon [Advanced ★★]
SkullGreymon [Ace ★★★]
Miyotismon [Ace ★★★]
MetalGarurumon [Ace ★★★]
Machinedramon [Legend ★★★★]
Omnimon [Legend ★★★★]
Digital Monster Ver. 1 [Advanced ★★]

Mii Costumes:
Hiro (Brawler)
Angemon (Swordfighter)
Devimon (Brawler)
Botamon (Hat)
Sukamon (Hat)

I tried to keep it exclusively to game content to show that there's plenty of non-anime content to draw upon from the series. I went a bit overboard with the amount of Spirits, Mii Costumes and maybe even songs, but I hope it gives an idea of the sort of content Digimon could bring with it.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Leomon would be a fun Mii Costume, if only so he could be launched off-screen by another Mii Fighter.

Although I sorta feel like the Mii Costumes should probably be one Royal Knight, one Demon Lord, and one Great Angel.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

God this is rough. I grew up with Tamers so Guilmon and Gallantmon have a soft spot, Stingmon is a personal favourite, Tentomon's line was super cool to me, big fan of Beelzemon and Infermon personally

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think Digimon is slept on because its game series isn't seen as big as other Bandai Namco franchises. But, if you count other media as whole like Pokemon, it dwarf other Bamco franchises except Pacman. I believe it's only matter of time before Agumon joins even if he misses Ultimate.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Oh if we're talking about ones we'd like to see rather than ones with a hope in hell (Agumon, Omnimon, and purely by proxy Gabumon being the ones with a shot)...

Terriermon. Been thinking a lot about how my idea for a gimmick would work for them lately incase I can make it work in an earlier Smash Bros game via modding.

Weirdly, I think Gargomon, Togemon, and Guardromon could all be made into echoes of each other for his Champion. They have similar body-shapes, equally bulky arms, and a projectile special that would be different for each. Since Togemon is a also a green card in the new card-game, and several of Terriermon's default-lines later stages are mechanised I feel like both of these fit them too.

The recovery for all of them could be just like Donkey Kong's Up-B.

Their side-Bs would all be like Captain Falcon's but gravity effected.

Their neutral B's however would all be different; their only truly different moves
--- Togemon's needle-spray would be Sheik's old needles.
--- Guardromon would have Samus like missiles; tap B for one, hold it for the other.
--- Gargomon's gattling guns work a bit like Bayonetta's. Also because its freaking Gargomon they'll even have the pose change part when there do a hand-stand with the arm they use to fire in the other pose.

The rest of their attacks are mostly similar to Donkey Kong's arm based attacks and Little Macs. The same for each of them but offset by their different stats.

Togemon would be like a cross between Monado Speed and Monado Smash.
Gargomon would be like a cross between Monado Jump and Monado Buster.
Guardomon would be like Monado Shield, BUT also grants super-armour on a fair few moves.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

Well, I am interested in seeing Renamon as an alternative Digimon rep.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Yeah, I love Ogremon. I’d say that it is my number one favorite Digimon so I think it would be really fun to see in Smash. Titanmon, Meramon, and Kuwagamon are also among my favorites and I’d love to see them as well.

1622380201112.jpeg

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Okay, so let me prefix this by saying...

We all KNOW Sakurai doesn't tease future characters for Smash reveals...

BUT was I the only one who fault like he was mocking them personally when he made these the pics of the day one-after-the-other recently?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, I am interested in seeing Renamon as an alternative Digimon rep.
Renamon is cool too. From what I gather, she’s essentially the Lucario of Digimon being a fan favorite character that is also pretty pushed by the company. I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing her get in.

Speaking of favorite Digimon, does anyone know what Digimon this is? It just came up as I was Googling pictures of Ogremon but I’ve never seen this one before. It looks really awesome but I’m not even 100% sure that it’s even a Digimon.

1622380826949.jpeg

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Yes but then Smash Bros fan-comics would go to war over whether Lucario woud be Renamon's Tamer or Renamon would be Lucario's Trainer?

A surprising amount of her success is partially a byproduct of Pokémon pushing Lucario rather than Bandai pushing Renamon...

Renamon is cool too. From what I gather, she’s essentially the Lucario of Digimon being a fan favorite character that is also pretty pushed by the company. I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing her get in.

Speaking of favorite Digimon, does anyone know what Digimon this is? It just came up as I was Googling pictures of Ogremon but I’ve never seen this one before. It looks really awesome but I’m not even 100% sure that it’s even a Digimon.

View attachment 317122

Its an X-Antibody variant. They're sorta like the Digimon equivalent of Alolan Forms; only they're the result of the God of the Digital World trying to do a mass deletion of Digimon in order to stop the world from crashing.

Some Digimon survived who weren't suppose to by attaining the X-Antibody which force them to mutate. This particular one is Cyberdramon X-Antibody.

-----

That is the typical lore for X-Antibody Digimon anyway; there are multiple Digital Worlds (often called "servers" for them, but there are multiple Earths too) in the multiverse and it only happened on some of them. (Sorta like Mega Evolution.)

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

View attachment 317122
That's Cyberdramon with X-Antibody, the original Cyberdramon is this thanks reverse image

I feel like it's a staple to Digimon to have their evolution not resemble their pre-evolution like Pokemon (with the exception of variation like Cyberdramon earlier but that also suffer the same fate but not as extreme) know the reason why? Probably because of the different branches that each digimon has which in the original could be anything and everything, this is probably why everyone having a hard time remembering them.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What do you good folk think of X-Antibody Digimon? Should Agumon's be used as in Smash Bros as costumes for him?

Also, just for fun - have some happiness, X-Antibody style!

I’ve never heard of them until just now but I think a lot of their designs are really cool from what little I’ve seen. I’m also in the minority that thinks that most mega evolution Pokémon are cool so take that how you will.

That Agumon X really reminds me of Mewtwo’s clone Pokémon from the first Pokémon movie. It seems like it would make for a cool alternate outfit.

1622382840429.jpeg

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
What do you good folk think of X-Antibody Digimon? Should Agumon's be used as in Smash Bros as costumes for him?

Also, just for fun - have some happiness, X-Antibody style!

Tell me if I'm wrong but isn't antibody Greymon and Wargreymon are very different in ability or are they the same? I feel like that would take much more time to model but as a color palette that's alright, basically classic Agumon with stripes.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Tell me if I'm wrong but isn't antibody Greymon and Wargreymon are very different in ability or are they the same? I feel like that would take much more time to model but as a color palette that's alright, basically classic Agumon with stripes.
Honestly yes, I was just thinking skins.

Lets check.

Greymon would work fine.

BUT WarGreymon... well, the main issue seems to be the different claw lengths; but those might be slightly retractable I can't tell.

Also Omnimon is pretty viable for that.

Amusingly MetalGreymon is the problem-child of the family, and neither my Cyber-Sleuth inspired idea or your Rumble Arena inspired one use him.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'm thinking about the debate that might spring up if Digimon made it in. I agree that "virtual pet devices" are just close enough to video games that you can argue Digimon counts as "game first" (plus the fact that the first proper video game came out a couple months before the first anime, as far as I can tell), but I expect many non-Digimon fans who aren't aware of this history and/or consider the anime to be the "most important" part of the franchise would get riled up at Agumon's addition. How prominent do you think these debates would be?

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I'm thinking about the debate that might spring up if Digimon made it in. I agree that "virtual pet devices" are just close enough to video games that you can argue Digimon counts as "game first" (plus the fact that the first proper video game came out a couple months before the first anime, as far as I can tell), but I expect many non-Digimon fans who aren't aware of this history and/or consider the anime to be the "most important" part of the franchise would get riled up at Agumon's addition. How prominent do you think these debates would be?
If we consider the pet devices to be LCD games, then it's not really that different from the Game & Watch devices.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace

Probably a lot of people being very riled up... which is why you should have the below quote saved; and be prepared to remind them that Pokémon starting adding V-Pet elements in Yellow the year after Digimon came out, and before Digimon actually expanded to home-consoles with its first V-Pet RPG hybrid and even that was before it got an anime. - Its future rival, the world's biggest video-game series, evidently must have seen it as a video-game because it added even more V-Pet ideas in Gold and Silver.

Doesn't hurt to be able to point out its parent series seemingly inspired the Wii/DS era to some degree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom