• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Pillow

Smash Lord
I did ask a question on the previous day (technically 2) but it was unanswered and wasn't a great question anyway, so I understand if I'm skipped still.

Anyways, as I've made it a point to avoid phone games as much as possible I actually don't know much about Euden. I know he transforms into a dragon, and some of the other comments here suggest he could have a transform mechanic like Pyra/Mythra but based on what other have said I can't help but feel some sort of Arsene meter would be more fitting instead?

Noms:
Jace x 5

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay I think I know how nominations work now, or at least I hope I do lol. Assuming I still have those bonus 15 noms, I'll put 5 towards Amaterasu and 10 to Black Mage from Final Fantasy.

On the topic of Euden though, lemme just say that I like this Smashboards community a lot for the simple fact that no one is immediately writing off a mobile game fighter for just being from a mobile game. It's an attitude I've seen a lot on other forums or Twitter. It's 2021 and people still think video games aren't real if they're on your phone. That botched Diablo presentation from 2018 really set us back years. So yeah y'all are cool.

As for an actual relevant question, it's said that Euden would stand out from the other heehee haha Anime Swordfighters because he can turn into a dragon. I agree that that's pretty unique even with Corrin already a thing, but what about his human form? Whether it's a Pythra situation where he switches between the two at will or some sort of enhanced state like Joker and Arsene, he still needs a moveset for his standard human form. What would make him a unique fighter in that base form specifically? I know he can light his sword on fire, but y'know he wouldn't be the first in this game.
I did suggest an RNG'd version of Zelda's down special, but I'm not sure how well that would gel with the dragon gimmick. Granted, we also got everything crammed into Min Min, so perhaps it's not too much of a stretch to have that be one of his specials in both forms.
I did ask a question on the previous day (technically 2) but it was unanswered and wasn't a great question anyway, so I understand if I'm skipped still.

Anyways, as I've made it a point to avoid phone games as much as possible I actually don't know much about Euden. I know he transforms into a dragon, and some of the other comments here suggest he could have a transform mechanic like Pyra/Mythra but based on what other have said I can't help but feel some sort of Arsene meter would be more fitting instead?

Noms:
Jace x 5
In the games it seems that the dragon meter is something you have to fill up rather than freely switching between them, so yeah, I think you're right in that an Arsene-style meter would work better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly I don’t think you can make his normals unique when compared to other sword characters. I’m sure he can do some different motions for certain moves but at the end of the day it’s still gonna be a sword move. The most I can think of is having his Fsmash do bonus shield damage if it’s based off of the sword force strike. I think the buff zone his Gala alt creates is his best bet at having a unique mechanic that isn’t dragon related. Dragalia is all about positioning yourself outside of the incoming damage markers while maximizing dps, and the buff zone fits that to a tee. You could do something with the burn/paralysis afflictions but that seems a bit too meta and overly complicated imo.

A Spirit Board would probably look something like this:
  1. Zethia
  2. Notte
  3. Elisanne
  4. Ranzal
  5. Cleo
  6. Luca
  7. Alex
  8. Laxi
  9. Brunhilda -> High Brunhilda
  10. Aurelius
  11. Morsayati
  12. Elysium (Legend)
Again my knowledge is outdated, so maybe there’s more free characters that would make sense but I don’t know.

Nominating 2B x5

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Isn't Euden's roadblock the fact that his game isn't released in Europe or has that been fixed? I am not sure how willing Nintendo is to promote that. It didn't do that well iirc.

Nom: Ryza x Max

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Isn't Euden's roadblock the fact that his game isn't released in Europe or has that been fixed? I am not sure how willing Nintendo is to promote that. It didn't do that well iirc.

Nom: Ryza x Max
To play devil's advocate, Euden's situation isn't as bad as, say, Takamaru, who's game was only available in Japan for the longest time. Euden at least has SOME degree of widespread awareness.

Also, if Nintendo wanted to boost the game's sales, putting Euden in Smash sounds like a pretty good way to do that, if you ask me. ;)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Euden is a perfect example of why I really like this thread. I try to avoid any mobile or gacha games in general so I never really knew anything about the series other than its name until this thread. I do really like the style of this game and the idea of transforming into a dragon is really cool. I would definitely be willing to try a traditional console JRPG based on this IP if they ever decide to make one.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Okay, a lot of people said in this thread they consciously avoiding mobile game. Why is that? I mean for me that's really strange.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, a lot of people said in this thread they consciously avoiding mobile game. Why is that? I mean for me that's really strange.
I think mobile games have just developed a stigma of being cheap, repetitive, and riddled with microtransactions. At least, that's what it seems like from what I've seen.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Most mobile games don't intrest me, especially as most of them are simple puzzle games and/or have microtransactions. The only mobile game I really played was Pokemon Go.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think mobile games have just developed a stigma of being cheap, repetitive, and riddled with microtransactions. At least, that's what it seems like from what I've seen.
Yeah, a LOT of people refuse to count mobile games as real games. Remember the Diablo incident? That didn't help any...

Paraster

Smash Lord
For some, it's a matter of mobile games tending towards simpler, pared-down gameplay; phones aren't generally capable of as much as consoles.

In addition, the mobile market is overrun with excessive microtransactions in games that make themselves less fun so that people are motivated to "buy the fun" or "skip the grind." Worth particular note is the prevalence of "gacha" systems, which are basically lootboxes that give you important gameplay stuff. (Many people, myself included, consider lootboxes and gacha systems to be a form of gambling.) Heck, Dragalia Lost itself uses a gacha system.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For some, it's a matter of mobile games tending towards simpler, pared-down gameplay; phones aren't generally capable of as much as consoles.

In addition, the mobile market is overrun with excessive microtransactions in games that make themselves less fun so that people are motivated to "buy the fun" or "skip the grind." Worth particular note is the prevalence of "gacha" systems, which are basically lootboxes that give you important gameplay stuff. (Many people, myself included, consider lootboxes and gacha systems to be a form of gambling.) Heck, Dragalia Lost itself uses a gacha system.
At the very least, Dragalia Lost's gacha system is actually really generous, at least compared... everything else.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I feel like this stigma is all because of lootboxes in FPS games or just any EA game for that matter, considering everyone bought a game and then need to spend another bucks to buy strong weapon and rare cosmetics this quickly spread around the hardcore gamer community, at least that's my hypothesis since before this nobody give a dime about mobile game and now everyone know about it and paint it in a bad way like "spending your rent money for a legendary jpg of your favorite character." I mean they're not wrong since it's all about grinding but the gameplay isn't just one note.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
There are two main reasons I avoid mobile games. The first is the microtransactions. Games that rely on them usually aren’t that fun to me because they often slow down the gameplay to the point that you feel like you need to spend money. The second is that my phone is old and can’t really handle most games. I don’t really want to spend a lot of money on a newer model of a phone and usually buy them at least a few models behind the current model since they are a lot cheaper.

D

Deleted member

Can't speak for anyone else but I stopped playing because I recognized live service games are bad for my mental health. Too much of a time sink & it makes me feel like I have to keep up with everything 24/7 also gambling but that's obvious. Doesn't help that the content devolved into doing the same handful of boss fights on repeat while getting shunned out of co-op rooms for not being able to pull the latest broken character since the older ones weren't meta. I did hear that they overhauled pretty much every character's dps though so everyone is broken and they finally added sparking so if you're interested in the game feel free to try it out. I did enjoy it a lot for what it was but it's just not for me. But yeah, if they made a non live service game for the IP I'd 100% be down to play again. The combat and progression loop was fun enough to hold me for a long time after all.

Edit: To be clear this isn't a dig solely at gachas or MMOs. This line of thought also applies to games like Animal Crossing for me, funnily enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Can't speak for anyone else but I stopped playing because I recognized live service games are bad for my mental health. Too much of a time sink & it makes me feel like I have to keep up with everything 24/7 also gambling but that's obvious. Doesn't help that the content devolved into doing the same handful of boss fights on repeat while getting shunned out of co-op rooms for not being able to pull the latest broken character since the older ones weren't meta. I did hear that they overhauled pretty much every character's dps though so everyone is broken and they finally added sparking so if you're interested in the game feel free to try it out. I did enjoy it a lot for what it was but it's just not for me. But yeah, if they made a non live service game for the IP I'd 100% be down to play again. The combat and progression loop was fun enough to hold me for a long time after all.
Yeah, I totally feel you there. The only game I play that is like this is Magic: Arena. Thankfully, I’ve only ever spent $5 on it but it did get tiring having to play every day to keep enough gold to be able to play with new sets as they come out. I just stopped caring about keeping up and only play once a week or so if I feel up to it.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, I totally feel you there. The only game I play that is like this is Magic: Arena. Thankfully, I’ve only ever spent $5 on it but it did get tiring having to play every day to keep enough gold to be able to play with new sets as they come out. I just stopped caring about keeping up and only play once a week or so if I feel up to it.
Kind of straying off topic, but if you're looking for an affordable online CCG then I'd recommend the Riot card game Legends of Runeterra. It's probably got the best F2P model out of all of them, and is just pretty good all around. Hearthstone also recently made some changes to make the F2P experience better, though it's still overall not great. I'll always love Magic, but Arena is honestly pretty terrible.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I've dipped in and out of mobile games over the years, and I'm always left with the feeling that I've addictively stared and tapped at a screen without actually doing anything. Games on other platforms by and large feel more interactive and give more satisfying sensory feedback. That's where the "real games" stigma comes from, although I'm not fully a fan of that label because it's led some people to sneer at the puzzle games that still exist on traditional platforms.

amageish

Smash Master
And viola, one noms list ready for viewing!

50+ noms
Farmer - x110
Masked Man - x105
Agumon - x100
Jace x85
Pyramid Head x80
Battletoads - x70
Miriam - x65

Gran/Djeeta - x60
Maxwell - x50
Amaterasu - x50

26-50 noms
Crash Bandicoot x45
Frisk - x44
Chosen Undead - x40
Estelle Bright - x35
Neku Sakuraba - x30

11-25 noms
2B - x25
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x20
Freddy Fazbear - x22
Master Hand - x20
Saber - x20
Laharl - x20
Cadence - x20
Mega Man X x15
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Magus (Chrono Trigger) - x10
Black Mage - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Elma - x8
Jace Beleren - x5
2B - x5
Amiya - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Octoling - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Astral Chain rep - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Under 5 noms
Sans - x2
Alucard - x5
Jill Valentine - x1
Fillia - x1
Danganronpa rep - x1
Marco Rossi - x1
Gordon Freeman - x1
Dart Monkey - x1

Still getting used to this, so apologizes if I made any errors.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
And viola, one noms list ready for viewing!

50+ noms
Farmer - x110
Masked Man - x105
Agumon - x100
Pyramid Head x80
Jace x80
Battletoads - x70
Miriam - x65

Gran/Djeeta - x60
Maxwell - x50
Amaterasu - x50

26-50 noms
Crash Bandicoot x45
Frisk - x44
Chosen Undead - x40
Estelle Bright - x35
Neku Sakuraba - x30

11-25 noms
2B - x25
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x20
Freddy Fazbear - x20
Master Hand - x20
Saber - x20
Laharl - x20
Cadence - x20
Mega Man X x15
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Magus (Chrono Trigger) - x10
Black Mage - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Elma - x8
Jace Beleren - x5
2B - x5
Amiya - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Octoling - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Astral Chain rep - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Under 5 noms
Sans - x2
Freedy Fazbear - x2
Alucard - x5
Jill Valentine - x1
Fillia - x1
Danganronpa rep - x1
Marco Rossi - x1
Gordon Freeman - x1
Dart Monkey - x1

Still getting used to this, so apologizes if I made any errors.
You included Freddy Fazbear twice, just letting you know.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Things are starting to get slow for Euden here, so here's another question: What would his battle entrance be?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Things are starting to get slow for Euden here, so here's another question: What would his battle entrance be?
I always felt it would be a reference to the summoning animation: Euden's sword is already on the stage, then Euden lands in front of it and arms himself with it.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
is there a good choice for a mii costume? I feel like being a gacha game the possibility is endless don't you agree? but I feel like we should pull from a prominent character.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
is there a good choice for a mii costume? I feel like being a gacha game the possibility is endless don't you agree? but I feel like we should pull from a prominent character.
From what I can gather, Notte would be pretty easy, being the fairy mascot character. Elisanne seems pretty prominent as well, and Mym seems to be one of the resident ensemble darkhorses.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Another idea for Euden: Wouldn't it be funny if buying the DLC gives you Euden, but you have to spend Spirit Points and/or Smash Coins to unlock the rest of the content that comes with him (such as his stage), as a reference to/jab at microtransactions?

Edit: I'd kinda like that idea, since I'm starting to get a rather big hoard of those two in-game currencies (and I'd prefer not to let them go to waste.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Another idea for Euden: Wouldn't it be funny if buying the DLC gives you Euden, but you have to spend Spirit Points and/or Smash Coins to unlock the rest of the content that comes with him (such as his stage), as a reference to/jab at microtransactions?
That'd be hilarious, but I'm not sure if Sakurai would be allowed to do something like that that could very easily be taken as an insult to the game.

Technomage

Smash Champion
That'd be hilarious, but I'm not sure if Sakurai would be allowed to do something like that that could very easily be taken as an insult to the game.
Haven't thought about that; yeah, I'm pretty sure that game doesn't deserve an insult like that (which is something better reserved for a far more unethical game).

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace

Technomage

Smash Champion
On it, chief.

In that case, I'll place all 20 of my points on nominating the Etrian Odyssey Imperial, again.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
League of Legends is yet another game that I haven’t had the chance to play but I love the character designs. Pretty much every character is really cool in their own way so you can’t really go wrong no matter what character you go with. Personally, I’m a fan of the less humanoid champions and I think they would offer the most variety from the rest of the Smash cast. I’d love if either Kha’Zix or Nocturne somehow made it in since they are my two favorites.

My first question is who would everyone like to see if we did end up with a LoL character?

x20 Magus (Chrono Trigger)

Top Bottom