• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, Voice Theory seems to suggest that for the most part European voice actors aren't coming back. Asian voice actors like Korean, however, seem like fair game to me. Korean Ahri KO sounds will probably raise a few brows though lol
And either way the info it's based on comes from 4chan, which casts a lot of doubt on its credibility
1621968442509.png

Pillow

Smash Lord
Dunno, she's got a CC ability in Charm, plus Lifesteal. I think these two are kinda signature stuff in MOBAs.
I meant moreso in her representing League of Legends within the context of and with regards to her significance to the game's lore, not the gameplay of her genre. She does have a role in Ruined King, so perhaps that will change, but as of right now she's just a seductress demon fox that doesn't really have ties to any other character and is unrelated to most major events referenced in the game. I know most League players don't care about the lore at all, but I think it should matter if we're talking about them coming to Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I meant moreso in her representing League of Legends within the context of and with regards to her significance to the game's lore, not the gameplay of her genre. She does have a role in Ruined King, so perhaps that will change, but as of right now she's just a seductress demon fox that doesn't really have ties to any other character and is unrelated to most major events referenced in the game. I know most League players don't care about the lore at all, but I think it should matter if we're talking about them coming to Smash.
To be fair, it's not like Terry's done much since Mark of the Wolves. One could also argue Min Min isn't that important compared to Spring Man, Max Brass, or Dr. Coyle, but ARMS lore is still developing and that situation isn't as noticeable as Terry's. I think Sakurai and Nintendo would be more worried about who's recognizable compared to who's important plot-wise.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
To be fair, it's not like Terry's done much since Mark of the Wolves. One could also argue Min Min isn't that important compared to Spring Man, Max Brass, or Dr. Coyle, but ARMS lore is still developing and that situation isn't as noticeable as Terry's. I think Sakurai and Nintendo would be more worried about who's recognizable compared to who's important plot-wise.
I don't think Terry's that comparable, as he was the clear choice for SNK plus the fact that you had to specify "after Mark of the Wolves" kind of shows his impact to the franchise already. Min-Min is closer, and I'm not very familiar with ARMs, but my understanding is that it doesn't have much surrounding lore to begin with. For Ahri it'd be fine if the entire League cast was like that, but it's not and Ahri is just less connected to the League universe than other options are.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
LoL is in a particularly tricky spot here:

On the one hand, people just love to poke fun at the actual MOBA game, but it's been so important to streaming and the MOBA scene as a whole that it's not even funny. I think LoL deserves a shot at Smash not just because of the aforementioned importance, but also because much like Terry and Latin America, from what I can tell, LoL is basically more popular in Korea.

As for the character, Ahri has been consistently the most popular character in the entire series and is effectively the mascot of the series. As for moveset potential, I actually made a moveset for her last year that implements some of the major mechanics of LoL as a gimmick.

Another thing I wanna point out is the stage: Summoner's Rift seems to be the obvious choice to me. It's the most-used map in the series, and it could make for a cool Shop gimmick in which hurting other fighters makes them drop Gold like in Grab the Coins but is used to buy items that you can use.

Spirits meanwhile, is easy for me. Here's a Spirit Board I made a long time back:
Ahri (Fighter)
  • Cho'Gath
    • Novice Attack Primary
    • Opponent: :ultridley: (Tiny)
    • Stage: Dracula's Castle
    • Rules:
      • The enemy is attracted to food items.
      • The enemy gets stronger after eating.
      • The enemy periodically grows bigger.
      • Defeat the fighter to win.
    • Spirit Effect: Stats + After Eating
  • Garen
    • Advanced Defense Primary
    • Opponent: :ultike: (Radiant Dawn)
    • Stage: Hyrule Castle
    • Rules:
      • The enemy has increases sword power.
      • The enemy heals over time.
      • The enemy is equipped with a Back Shield.
    • Spirit Effect: Auto-Heal
  • Thresh
    • Ace Support
    • Opponent: :ultganondorf:
    • Stage: Dracula's Castle
    • Rules:
      • The enemy is equipped with Death's Scythe
      • The player occasionally has decreased movement.
    • Spirit Effect: KO Attack + (Increases the user's attack with every KO scored)
  • Ekko
    • Ace Attack Primary
    • Opponent: :ultpit:
    • Stage: Port Town Aero Drive (Omega)
    • Rules:
      • The enemy heals after a certain amount of damage.
      • Stopwatches spawn on the stage.
      • The enemy has increased dodge frames.
    • Spirit Effect: Stopwatch Equipped
  • Jinx
    • Advanced Support
    • Opponent: :ultbayonetta:
    • Stage: Moray Towers (Night)
    • Rules:
      • The enemy is equipped with a Super Scope.
      • The enemy is attracted to shooting items.
    • Spirit Effect: Shooting Item +
  • Yasuo
    • Ace Support
    • Opponent: :ultswordfighter: (Takamaru Wig, Ninja Suit)
    • Stage: Gaur Plains
    • Rules:
      • The enemy is armed with a Killing Edge.
      • Strong winds will occasionally blow.
    • Spirit Effect: Killing Edge Equipped
  • Ashe
    • Novice Attack Primary
    • Opponents: :ultcorrinf:, :ultfalco:
    • Stage: Summit
    • Rules:
      • The enemy is armed with a Freezie.
      • Reinforcements will sometimes spawn.
      • Defeat the main fighter to win.
    • Spirit Effect: Water/Ice Attack +
  • Teemo
    • Ace Mixed Primary
    • Opponents: :ultpichu: (Goggles)
    • Stage: Garden of Hope (Omega)
    • Rules:
      • The enemy occasionally turns invisible.
      • The enemy occasionally gains increased movement speed.
      • The floor is covered in poison.
    • Spirit Effect: Speed +
  • Miss Fortune
    • Novice Primary
    • Opponent: :ultbayonetta1:
    • Stage: Pirate Ship
    • Rules:
      • The enemy is armed with a Ray Gun.
      • The enemy had increased power to shooting items.
    • Spirit Effect: Ray Gun Equipped
  • Twisted Fate
    • Ace Support
    • Opponent: :ultsnake:
    • Stage: Gerudo Valley
    • Rules:
      • The enemy has increased dodge frames.
      • The enemy prefers to use projectiles.
    • Spirit Effect: Critical Chance +
  • Volibear
    • Advanced Support
    • Opponent: :ultdk:
    • Stage: Summit
    • Rules:
      • The enemy has increased physical attack power.
      • The enemy deals increased damage to already-damaged opponents.
      • The stage is electrified.
    • Spirit Effect: Physical Attack +
  • Nexus
    • Legend Support
    • Opponents: :ultkrool:(Giant), Ahri, :ultpichu:, :ultcorrinf:, :ultswordfighter:, :ultbayonetta:
    • Stage: Summoner's Rift
    • Rules:
      • The main enemy is motionless.
      • The enemy has increased attack overall.
      • Reinforcements will appear during battle.
      • Stamina battle.
      • Defeat the main fighter to win.
    • Spirit Effect: Double Assist (Starts the battle with two random Assist Trophies)

Noms:
Pyramid Head x10
I'd like to say that the fact we can use Bowser as a unit of measurement is really funny
As she has no allies in Smash
I'm also going to be interpreting this as "Seraphine has no friends" because it's funnier that way

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now the big ass finale for me

how would a LoL rep’s trailer go? What would be their tag line?
Basically, I'd imagine a LoL rep having 5 Smash fighters running into a team base in Summoner's Rift, and they'd get jumped by the LoL rep in a surprise attack. In this case, I'm thinking Ahri of course, and her tagline would be "AHRI Gets Foxy!", referencing her being a kumiho, a Korean fox spirit, while also being a nice play on words that Smash trailers have usually done.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
In the spirit of discussion, I thought I'd try my hand at making a partial moveset...for Heimerdinger. He's clearly the most popular League champ that everyone wants in Smash right?

General Playstyle - Like in League, Heimer's main focus would be grounded area control. He is extremely deadly when fighting up close after he's set up, but is extremely vulnerable when outside his control zone. He has some ranged options but they are limited so his main struggle will be forcing people to actually approach him.

Stats -
Weight: 79 (Same as Pikachu)
Air Speed: 0.89 (Same as Byleth)
Fast Fall: 2.1 (Slightly slower than Luigi)
Jump Height: 22 (Slightly more than Snake)
Dash Speed: 1.65 (Same as Puff)
Run Speed: 1.48 (Same as Isabelle)

Overall poor stats across the board

Specials -
Down B: H-28G Evolution Turret
I'm starting with the Down B because the turrets are pretty much the crux of his entire moveset. When used Heimer drops a turret facing the same direction as he is. This move can be used in the air, and the turret will plummet straight downwards if you do dealing minor damage and knockback to any enemies it collides with. Turrets last indefinitely but will explode after taking 20% damage. Turrets can be picked up and thrown like items, but will slow the holder similar to Wario's bike but to a lesser degree. Heimer can have up to 3 turrets out at once, if he drops a fourth down the oldest turret will explode automatically.

On their own the turrets stand by and do nothing. If Heimer lands a move on an enemy while in the turrets range, the turrets will automatically target whoever was hit by Heimer. The turrets will behave differently depending on the move Heimer landed on them.

If Heimer landed a normal attack the turrets will shoot a burst of projectiles that deal minor damage and knockback, similar to Joker's Gun.
If Heimer lands the grenade special the turrets will shoot a burst of electricity that deal minor damage and slow the target's movement and air mobility
If Heimer lands the rockets the turrets will follow the target with a beam of light then follow up with a fast laser that has long range

Neutral B: CH-2 Electron Storm Grenade
Heimer tosses a grenade that explodes upon contact, or after bouncing 2 times. The grenade bounce arc is quite high. The move deal decent damage but only has moderate range.

Side B: Hextech Rockets
Heimer fires a rocket that travels in a straight line. Unlike Samus rockets, these rockets reach full acceleration immediately but they travel slightly less far and do not home in on the enemy only traveling in a straight line.

Up B: Flash of Brilliance
Heimer creates a gadget on the spot to get out of a bind. Depending on how long the move is held, it will have 4 different outcomes. If used immediately Heimer will create a mini canon that shoots him straight upwards. If held for a bit longer Heimer will create a mini helicopter similar to K Rool's Up B. If held to maximum time Heimer will create a jetpack that functions similar to Diddy's Up B but has much more control and travels much further. If held too long Heimer will explode and take lots of damage, but still be launched at an upwards angle.

Tilts/Smashes/Aerials/Grabs:
Maybe later...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The thing about Ahri is, yes she’s popular (very popular) but as a character she kind of does a poor job of representing League as a whole. If we’re guaranteed a LOL rep and have another ARMS guessing game scenario I’d actually put money on Viego.
After a quick check of the release order, maybe not Viego specifically, at least note for this pass. We know FP2 started development back in 2019, and it seems Viego was only properly named and revealed in 2021, a good while after development would've started. Assuming there isn't an FP3 in the works, it seems Viego made his debut a bit too late to join.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't think Terry's that comparable, as he was the clear choice for SNK plus the fact that you had to specify "after Mark of the Wolves" kind of shows his impact to the franchise already. Min-Min is closer, and I'm not very familiar with ARMs, but my understanding is that it doesn't have much surrounding lore to begin with. For Ahri it'd be fine if the entire League cast was like that, but it's not and Ahri is just less connected to the League universe than other options are.
To be fair, it's like that for most of the popular champs. Lux, Jinx, Vi, Yasuo, Lee Sin, Miss Fortune, Teemo and others are mostly confined to either their own lore or their specific region's lore. Ryze is arguably the one exception that comes to mind, and the argument can be made that he's less recognizable than Lux, Ahri, Teemo or Jinx when it comes to the general gaming fanbase.

As for your point about Viego: I could see that being the case... if Riot was the one making the choice, but since it's Nintendo, I find it kinda hard that they would be able to push for one of the newest Champions in the block, regardless of how relevant he is now marketing-wise. Not when they can get their money and promotion's worth with someone else who is already a big deal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
After a quick check of the release order, maybe not Viego specifically, at least note for this pass. We know FP2 started development back in 2019, and it seems Viego was only properly named and revealed in 2021, a good while after development would've started. Assuming there isn't an FP3 in the works, it seems Viego made his debut a bit too late to join.
Guess it ain’t Seraphine either much to the haters’ delight... I myself have a love-hate relationship with her ITS COMPLICATED OK?!

Ahri was announced for LoL in 2011 iirc... exactly ten years ago

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'm just playing devil's advocate here since I honestly don't think a League rep is coming. He made his debut in League after, but Riot was planning him for a long while before that, and as they've been aggressively expanding their brand for the last couple of years it makes sense that they would push for something that would coincide with their future releases.

To be fair, it's like that for most of the popular champs. Lux, Jinx, Vi, Yasuo, Lee Sin, Miss Fortune, Teemo and others are mostly confined to either their own lore or their specific region's lore. Ryze is arguably the one exception that comes to mind, and the argument can be made that he's less recognizable than Lux, Ahri, Teemo or Jinx when it comes to the general gaming fanbase.

As for your point about Viego: I could see that being the case... if Riot was the one making the choice, but since it's Nintendo, I find it kinda hard that they would be able to push for one of the newest Champions in the block, regardless of how relevant he is now marketing-wise. Not when they can get their money and promotion's worth with someone else who is already a big deal.
Yeah this is true, which is why I said I think Ryze and Viego are the best options to rep LoL with Teemo being a runner up for actually being the series mascot. Nintendo might just pick Ahri for being the most popular, but they also might just ask Riot who they want, or just pick whoever...Nintendo's decisions are often incomprehensible anyway.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Now the big ass finale for me

how would a LoL rep’s trailer go? What would be their tag line?
Depends on the venue the reveal has happening IMO. I could see it being a scenario where it starts off League-based and then some other Smash characters jump into the fight, or I could see them doing a Pokemon-Unite-based fake-out by starting with Pokemon and having a League rep pop in...

amageish

Smash Master
A double-posting has occurred... Ignore this one.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Depends on the venue the reveal has happening IMO. I could see it being a scenario where it starts off League-based and then some other Smash characters jump into the fight, or I could see them doing a Pokemon-Unite-based fake-out by starting with Pokemon and having a League rep pop in...
I almost want to see the end result of that. Unite's already divisive as-is, so if it suddenly turns into Smash with a League of Legends character... I dunno if it'd be received better or worse.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I almost want to see the end result of that. Unite's already divisive as-is, so if it suddenly turns into Smash with a League of Legends character... I dunno if it'd be received better or worse.
The irony of something called “Unite” being divisive... I had to point that out lmao

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm just playing devil's advocate here since I honestly don't think a League rep is coming. He made his debut in League after, but Riot was planning him for a long while before that, and as they've been aggressively expanding their brand for the last couple of years it makes sense that they would push for something that would coincide with their future releases.
Thing is, that's never happened with any third party. If I'm not mistaken, the shortest interval between a 3rd party's debut and their inclusion in Smash is 2 years (:ultjoker:). So I kinda doubt LoL of all series would be the exception, when a lot of these charactersare proven popular picks, unlike Viego who has a yet-to-be understood role in the spinoffs aside from RK.

Yeah this is true, which is why I said I think Ryze and Viego are the best options to rep LoL with Teemo being a runner up for actually being the series mascot. Nintendo might just pick Ahri for being the most popular, but they also might just ask Riot who they want, or just pick whoever...Nintendo's decisions are often incomprehensible anyway.
Based on Sakurai's interview about Hero, I think Nintendo tends to approach companies with at least some idea of who they want rather than just a company or a series. If Riot declines to try and push something else, it's hard to tell if Nintendo would accept, because ultimately the final say is theirs.

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, I'd enjoy the reaction videos of people complaining about Unite hogging Direct time before the reveal it isn't a Unite trailer at all! But, yeah, I was just thinking of something to emphasize the shock of the reveal and I feel like League would be best-suited by a full-on fake-out trailer that pretends to be for something else...

But, yes, no matter what happens at E3, I am expecting there to be a lot of salt. Smash community feels like it may be a bit of a powder-keg depending on how, uh, mainstream the final two picks end up actually being.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not sure if it's been asked or not, but I got a question: What stage could a LOL rep come with?
From what I can gather, the Summoner's Rift is the most used map, and arguably the "default" one (Or at least, that's what it looks like). If we were to get an LoL pack, I think I'd place my bets on that one.

It also doesn't seem to be part of the main continuity, nor does the titular League of Legends, which is pretty funny in an ironic way. Kinda like how there's now 16 Final Fantasies, none of which are actually final.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly?

Howling Abyss is an underrated choice for a stage. It’s where ARAM (All Random All Mid) takes place and it’s a snowy stage!

only problem is it’s a walkoff...

Pillow

Smash Lord
Honestly?

Howling Abyss is an underrated choice for a stage. It’s where ARAM (All Random All Mid) takes place and it’s a snowy stage!

only problem is it’s a walkoff...
Abyss would be more visually interesting, but it’s either gonna be the Rift or the specific location of wherever the chosen rep is from. I could see HA if it’s like Ashe or something I guess.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since people are talking about potential stages, I have a related question. How do you envision the stage to play in Smash? Since League of Legends is an overhead game, it would be interesting to see what they would do to convert it into a 2D platforming style stage. Do you think it would have any gimmicks or unique layouts?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As for the character, Ahri has been consistently the most popular character in the entire series and is effectively the mascot of the series.
Not to sound too disagreeable, but do we have a source on these specifics? Like, popularity polls or something? Aside from getting the details right, having access to the polls would also help regarding those unfamiliar with the game and general info (Plus the fact that all the TV Tropes links I use seem to have expired and so I only have the stuff on the site itself to go off of).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Not to sound too disagreeable, but do we have a source on these specifics? Like, popularity polls or something? Aside from getting the details right, having access to the polls would also help regarding those unfamiliar with the game and general info (Plus the fact that all the TV Tropes links I use seem to have expired and so I only have the stuff on the site itself to go off of).
Let's see here...
-Metric ton of costumes
-An integral member of K/DA
-One of the first few characters to be picked in Project L and Ruined King

So these are some of the few factors I remember from the top of the head, but I've been looking for popularity polls and have found nothing so far. But considering those three factors, Ahri's got a bit going for her.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yes. :4pacman:

But really, I think a fake out would be best, really. It's kinda hard to picture any specifics being immediately identifiable - not without directly showing Summoner's Rift, at least. Speaking of...

Not sure if it's been asked or not, but I got a question: What stage could a LOL rep come with?
...I think SR would be the chosen stage. Regardless of lore, it is the "main" map of the game, as well as a great representation of the general MOBA-style field. Maybe it could be a traveling stage going through all lanes.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Let's see here...
-Metric ton of costumes
-An integral member of K/DA
-One of the first few characters to be picked in Project L and Ruined King

So these are some of the few factors I remember from the top of the head, but I've been looking for popularity polls and have found nothing so far. But considering those three factors, Ahri's got a bit going for her.
It's a far stretch to go from this to "consistent most popular and mascot of the series", but the point of this thread isn't really to discuss a character's chances anyway I guess. I'll just say that she's far from the only option, and I personally don't even consider her the most likely option.

Since people are talking about potential stages, I have a related question. How do you envision the stage to play in Smash? Since League of Legends is an overhead game, it would be interesting to see what they would do to convert it into a 2D platforming style stage. Do you think it would have any gimmicks or unique layouts?
There's no way it could be top down, but I could see it as a memey huge stage like New Pork City with Dragon or Baron spawning to fight over for temporary buffs similar to WarioWare, as fighting over these objectives is a pretty core aspect to League.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
From what I can gather, the main objective of LoL is to destroy your opponent's... Bases? Towers? Not sure what to call them. There also appears to be enemies to deal with aside from the players? Perhaps those could be implemented into an LoL stage's gimmicks.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
League is like a whole other world for me, the only character I know from it is Ahri lol. Ahri would be cool though, having a mage-y character could be fun.

What’s LoL’s music like? I found a 50-minute OST video and skimmed through it a bit. From what I listened to, there’s a lot of orchestral tracks (as well as Get Jinxed, which was completely different). Do new events/updates in LoL generally come with new tracks, or is the soundtrack more or less the same since release?

Noms: Estelle Bright x10

SKX31

Smash Master
I do believe that it would be best served as a travelling stage - or one that is mainly focused around the parts of the map that are hotly contested in your typical League game (the same would apply to both Dota 2 and SMITE, LoL's older sibling and the third major MOBA game respectively). As for League, the primary options for the stage would IMHO be:

* Baron Nashor's pit. Nashor is after all the mega-creature that both teams will contest in your average LoL game (to the point competitive LoL streams have the "Red Bull Baron Power Play" when a team kills Baron and secures the Hand of Baron buff that comes along said kill), and Nashor is (AFAIK) an important part of LoL's lore. As Nashor was directly inspired by Dota (2)'s Roshan, it's kinda to be expected. Baron spawns at a certain point in the game - before that the Rift Herald occupies the Pit, who when killed by a team grants said team the ability to summon the Herald and push a lane. Said pushing will always mean that the Herald will go ****ing nuts at the nearest tower and charge it - damaging both it and the tower massively. While Smash 4 may have been a bit hit / miss when it comes to stage bosses, getting a major buff / major ally might be incentive enough to actually fight them. Which is something Magicant / Gaur Plains really could've used come to think of it.

* The opposite Pit usually houses the Dragons - which come in different types, and killing consecutive of a specific type will grant a stacking buff (known as Soul). Likewise hotly contested since gaining those buffs is important. This is League-specific - a counterpart does not exist in Dota 2, and while I don't know SMITE at all, it doesn't appear that such a counterpart exists either.

* The third place I could think of is the intersection between bottom lane and the jungle. Usually a hotly contested area since the bottom lane will have two players on each team (AD carry + support) and the guest appearance by either team's jungler when it's time to fight and overwhelm the opponent. As such, in Smash that area could be similarily hectic, what with towers present and so forth.

A memey huge stage could perhaps work, I'm just not as keen on that idea since I personally think those stages tend to be too janky.

From what I can gather, the main objective of LoL is to destroy your opponent's... Bases? Towers? Not sure what to call them. There also appears to be enemies to deal with aside from the players? Perhaps those could be implemented into an LoL stage's gimmicks.
LoL's central thing for each team to defend / destroy - defend one's own to avoid losing the game, destroy the other to win the game - is called the Nexus (Dota's is called the Ancient). Nexuses are analogous to Chess' King piece - except Nexuses can't move. They do have some health though, so in some cases a losing team can make a comeback because of respawns just in time.

LoL's and Dota 2's maps are marked by Turrets / Towers in each lane - in order to beat up Turret 2 in say mid lane you gotta destroy the enemy's Turret 1 in mid lane etc (this also goes for top and bottom lane). Turret 3 occupies a special place since they're the Inhibitor Turrets (more on them below) while Turret 4 are the Nexus Turrets - the final line of AI defense for each team.

The Inhibitors (Barracks in Dota 2*) are the places where minions (creeps in Dota) spawn, and destroying an enemy's Inhibitor both disables it for 5 minutes, leaves Turret 4 / Nexus open to attack and grants your team a Super Minion with each minion wave (a minion wave spawns every 30 secs and marches down a lane) for those 5 mins.

I'm mentioning Dota since it is effectively LoL's older sibling, and a lot of LoL's origin and identity comes from that game (even as LoL has struck its own path since).

*A critical difference between LoL and Dota is that Inhibitors restore themselves after 5 mins - Dota's Barracks are permanently destroyed (counteracted by the ability to buy back one's life in Dota - although at a hefty price and with long buy back cooldown - which LoL does not have).

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
League is like a whole other world for me, the only character I know from it is Ahri lol. Ahri would be cool though, having a mage-y character could be fun.

What’s LoL’s music like? I found a 50-minute OST video and skimmed through it a bit. From what I listened to, there’s a lot of orchestral tracks (as well as Get Jinxed, which was completely different). Do new events/updates in LoL generally come with new tracks, or is the soundtrack more or less the same since release?

Noms: Estelle Bright x10
Each champ released since...basically forever has had their own theme and some are really good, like Jhin's. And there's also promotional music video stuff like Get Jinx'd, Awaken, KDA and their yearly World's Song.

Sadly most of it isn't really present in the game itself, so it's kind of got a different vibe to most of the music in Smash which are actual background game music for the most part. I also believe the rights to a lot of the music is kinda iffy so there's also that.

I do believe that it would be best served as a travelling stage - or one that is mainly focused around the parts of the map that are hotly contested in your typical League game (the same would apply to both Dota 2 and SMITE, LoL's older sibling and the third major MOBA game respectively). As for League, the primary options for the stage would IMHO be:

* Baron Nashor's pit. Nashor is after all the mega-creature that both teams will contest in your average LoL game (to the point competitive LoL streams have the "Red Bull Baron Power Play" when a team kills Baron and secures the Hand of Baron buff that comes along said kill), and Nashor is (AFAIK) an important part of LoL's lore. As Nashor was directly inspired by Dota (2)'s Roshan, it's kinda to be expected. Baron spawns at a certain point in the game - before that the Rift Herald occupies the Pit, who when killed by a team grants said team the ability to summon the Herald and push a lane. Said pushing will always mean that the Herald will go ****ing nuts at the nearest tower and charge it - damaging both it and the tower massively. While Smash 4 may have been a bit hit / miss when it comes to stage bosses, getting a major buff / major ally might be incentive enough to actually fight them. Which is something Magicant / Gaur Plains really could've used come to think of it.

* The opposite Pit usually houses the Dragons - which come in different types, and killing consecutive of a specific type will grant a stacking buff (known as Soul). Likewise hotly contested since gaining those buffs is important. This is League-specific - a counterpart does not exist in Dota 2, and while I don't know SMITE at all, it doesn't appear that such a counterpart exists either.

* The third place I could think of is the intersection between bottom lane and the jungle. Usually a hotly contested area since the bottom lane will have two players on each team (AD carry + support) and the guest appearance by either team's jungler when it's time to fight and overwhelm the opponent. As such, in Smash that area could be similarily hectic, what with towers present and so forth.

A memey huge stage could perhaps work, I'm just not as keen on that idea since I personally think those stages tend to be too janky.

LoL's central thing for each team to defend / destroy - defend one's own to avoid losing the game, destroy the other to win the game - is called the Nexus (Dota's is called the Ancient). Nexuses are analogous to Chess' King piece - except Nesuses can't move. They do have some health though, so in some cases a losing team can make a comeback because of respawns just in time.

LoL's and Dota 2's maps are marked by Turrets / Towers in each lane - in order to beat up Turret 2 in say mid lane you gotta destroy the enemy's Turret 1 in mid lane etc (this also goes for top and bottom lane). Turret 3 occupies a special place since they're the Inhibitor Turrets (more on them below) while Turret 4 are the Nexus Turrets - the final line of AI defense for each team.

The Inhibitors (Barracks in Dota 2*) are the places where minions (creeps in Dota) spawn, and destroying an enemy's Inhibitor both disables it for 5 minutes, leaves Turret 4 / Nexus open to attack and grants your team a Super Minion with each minion wave (a minion wave spawns every 30 secs and marches down a lane) for those 5 mins.

I'm mentioning Dota since it is effectively LoL's older sibling, and a lot of LoL's origin and identity comes from that game (even as LoL has struck its own path since).

*A critical difference between LoL and Dota is that Inhibitors restore themselves after 5 mins - Dota's Barracks are permanently destroyed (counteracted by the ability to buy back one's life in Dota - although at a hefty price and with long buy back cooldown - which LoL does not have).
I don't even wanna imagine how long DoTA games with respawning barracks would be like.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

LoL's central thing for each team to defend / destroy - defend one's own to avoid losing the game, destroy the other to win the game - is called the Nexus (Dota's is called the Ancient). Nexuses are analogous to Chess' King piece - except Nesuses can't move. They do have some health though, so in some cases a losing team can make a comeback because of respawns just in time.

So the goal is to beat this guy
1621988185892.png

Got it :4pacman:

Speaking seriously, with this info, not sure how we'd implement the Nexus in a free-for-all. Everyone having their own might get a bit clunky. Though, I could see Turrets and Minions popping up as stage hazards that target everyone.

EDIT: Though, maybe it could be a unique stage mechanic with team battles on?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So the goal is to beat this guy
View attachment 316509
Got it :4pacman:

Speaking seriously, with this info, not sure how we'd implement the Nexus in a free-for-all. Everyone having their own might get a bit clunky. Though, I could see Turrets and Minions popping up as stage hazards that target everyone.

EDIT: Though, maybe it could be a unique stage mechanic with team battles on?
Actually, a better stage gimmick for a potential League stage I feel would be a Shop. In LoL, there's a shop where you can buy items for your character that upgrade your character's stats with Gold that you collect from kills. In Smash, a LoL stage could have an inherent "Grab the Coins" mechanic where you generate Gold over the course of the match. On the stage are Crafting Table-style shops where you can buy a Smash item to help you mid-fight.

amageish

Smash Master
Actually, a better stage gimmick for a potential League stage I feel would be a Shop. In LoL, there's a shop where you can buy items for your character that upgrade your character's stats with Gold that you collect from kills. In Smash, a LoL stage could have an inherent "Grab the Coins" mechanic where you generate Gold over the course of the match. On the stage are Crafting Table-style shops where you can buy a Smash item to help you mid-fight.
Like how Sephiroph brought back the boss rush through his classic mode, a League character brings back Coin Battle as a stage gimmick!

So, how do people feel about Mii Costumes? What characters would you like to see Mii-ified?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Like how Sephiroph brought back the boss rush through his classic mode, a League character brings back Coin Battle as a stage gimmick!

So, how do people feel about Mii Costumes? What characters would you like to see Mii-ified?
For Brawler, Lee Sin and Sett feel like great fits.

For Swordfighter, Garen, Master Yi, Ekko and Yasuo (if the latter two weren't the playable pick).

Gunner is arguably the hardest. I guess Jinx is the obvious pick, but after that... maybe Caitlyn or Tristana? Dunno...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Lee Sin Brawler, Jhin or Senna Gunner, Irelia or Leona Swordfighter

Top Bottom