• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For those unfamiliar with the SNES Donkey Kong Country trilogy, I highly recommend you at least try DKC2 on the Switch online. That is one of my favorite games ever made and the soundtrack is arguably the best on the console right up there with Chrono Trigger and Megaman X. It’s free if you have Switch online so there isn’t much to lose by giving it a shot even if you end up not liking it as much as I do.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I always preferred Funky Kong’s classic look. The tank top and shorts look a little weird on him. I’m hoping we get this look as an alternate outfit at least. Which version of Funky Kong is your favorite?

1622057880241.png

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just had a thought that would be kind of funny but probably broken. What if Funky Kong had “Funky Mode” as a temporary powered up state like Arsene which either made him not take damage or not get knocked back for a short amount of time (whichever is less broken)?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Realized I didn’t post a Final Smash or stage. My ideal FS would probably just be an animal friend rampage since none of them are Assists for whatever reason. A stage is a bit more tricky, but I’d really like it to be silhouette based like some of the modern DKC levels. If that isn’t on the table Frozen DK Island would be my second choice just for some Tropical Freeze rep.

Also, since Ayumi should be on next week’s schedule, doesn’t that mean only the top 6 nominated characters should be bolded in the noms list? It’s almost been 2 weeks since FDC released after all.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Realized I didn’t post a Final Smash or stage. My ideal FS would probably just be an animal friend rampage since none of them are Assists for whatever reason. A stage is a bit more tricky, but I’d really like it to be silhouette based like some of the modern DKC levels. If that isn’t on the table Frozen DK Island would be my second choice just for some Tropical Freeze rep.

Also, since Ayumi should be on next week’s schedule, doesn’t that mean only the top 6 nominated characters should be bolded in the noms list? It’s almost been 2 weeks since FDC released after all.
Yeah, the silhouette stages in Tropical Freeze were awesome. It would be really interesting to see the rest of the Smash cast in that style but it might be a lot of work. At this point, I’d settle for just about any Tropical Freeze representation at all. It’s a crime how little the game got in Smash. Maybe that’s a sign that we might be getting another DK character?

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah, the silhouette stages in Tropical Freeze were awesome. It would be really interesting to see the rest of the Smash cast in that style but it might be a lot of work. At this point, I’d settle for just about any Tropical Freeze representation at all. It’s a crime how little the game got in Smash. Maybe that’s a sign that we might be getting another DK character?
Are you sure? All they'd have to do is turn the models pitch black.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My ideal way to represent Funky in Smash would be as a DK semi-clone, but at the same time a stance fighter with Dixie, a Diddy semi-clone, and they'd swap by throwing a barrel - basically a projectile swap move, that could lead to some hype combos.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Gonna yeet my 10 noms out for Black Mage again baby

This isn't strictly about Smash but it is something i've thought about on and off since the Switch release of Tropical Freeze. How do you guys feel about the idea of Funky Kong getting his own game? If you think about it, all the other major Kongs have their own game, and his unique gameplay in NEW FUNKY MODE showed a lot of promise. Maybe it could even have some shmup sections using the plane or something. Yall think that would sell or is Funkey relegated to side mode forever?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Gonna yeet my 10 noms out for Black Mage again baby

This isn't strictly about Smash but it is something i've thought about on and off since the Switch release of Tropical Freeze. How do you guys feel about the idea of Funky Kong getting his own game? If you think about it, all the other major Kongs have their own game, and his unique gameplay in NEW FUNKY MODE showed a lot of promise. Maybe it could even have some shmup sections using the plane or something. Yall think that would sell or is Funkey relegated to side mode forever?
I kinda wish they still did protagonist-switching with the new DKCs, but in all honesty they probably only managed to do that back in the 90s thanks to how big DKC1 was, meaning that a sequel would sell regardless.

Dixie deserved a better starring role than DKC3 TBH.

amageish

Smash Master
~~ Amageish Presents ~~

The Noms List for The Evening

50+ noms
Farmer - x135
Agumon - x120
Masked Man - x125
Pyramid Head x105
Jace x105
Miriam - x85

Battletoads - x80
Gran/Djeeta - x60
Crash Bandicoot x60
Maxwell - x50
Amaterasu - x50
Neku Sakuraba - x50

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Magus (Chrono Trigger) - x45
Frisk - x44
Chosen Undead - x40
Saber - x40
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x35
Elma - x38

11-25 noms
2B - x35
Freddy Fazbear - x22
Black Mage - x20
Octoling - x20
Master Hand - x20
Laharl - x20
Cadence - x20
Mega Man X x15
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
2B - x5
Amiya - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Astral Chain rep - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Under 5 noms
Sans - x2

I'm also starting a new work schedule, so expect to see less of me in the daily conversation, but I'll still be around to calculate noms every night and give late thoughts on topics that we have probably long since moved on from.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just a heads up that I’ll be at work today until 3:30 PM. I’m lucky enough that I’m able to work from home so I’ll still be able to read any questions and give short replies from my cell phone. I’ll be able to provide much more detailed answers once I get out of work and can use my computer. I work full time from 7:00 to 3:30 every weekday but this will be my first character I nominated so I want to be able to give the best answers I can since I’m sure not many people even know who Zegram is.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Ok, I forgot to mention how to buy LOL, so I won't forget Funky Kong. He's only had 2 important roles, but they're pretty bodacious games. The first is Funky Kong Kart Wii. I don't know why Funky Kong got his own racing game, but he did. The second is Tropical Freeze. He was a lame-o shopkeeper in the Wii U version, but the Switch port introduced Funky Mode, which scientists say might be the "most radical" thing since Pi.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really hope this song at least makes it into Smash. I think it’s awesome sounding and really fits with a Smash battle:

We could also use more DKC2 music. Pretty much every song in that game is awesome. Here is just one example:

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Okay, to liven up the Funky discussion again, I'm going to propose a question: What spirits would his spirit board have?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’d love to see Lord Frederik as a K. Rool seniclone. We need Dr. Robotnik too so we can have both the Eggman and the walrus.

Also, I apologize in advance if I kill this thread for a day. Zegram is my favorite video game character ever but I have a hard time seeing others would be interested in discussing him very much.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
No need to rush, it will still be a couple hours before I’m out of work and can give detailed answers with pictures and links. I’ll try to answer what I can from my phone until then.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Actually, while we're at it, have the cycle shifts been too fast lately, or have they been working well for you? I've mostly been basing it off of "Have there been any posts recently," but I'm not sure that's a good indicator of how much activity there'll be. With the multi-person managing, there haven't been any extensions even with recent posts. I'm gonna check in here to see how the handling of the day changes has gone so far.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Actually, while we're at it, have the cycle shifts been too fast lately, or have they been working well for you? I've mostly been basing it off of "Have there been any posts recently," but I'm not sure that's a good indicator of how much activity there'll be. With the multi-person managing, there haven't been any extensions even with recent posts. I'm gonna check in here to see how the handling of the day changes has gone so far.
I’m pretty much fine with anything really. My only deal is that I’m working from home from 7:00 to 3:30 but that only really matters when my character’s day is chosen and this will be the first of mine. I’m cool with whatever anyone decides.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think I’ll bump my support thread for Zegram in case anyone wants to check that out while we’re waiting. I put a ton of work into it and I’d love if at least someone got to see it lol.

Actually, scratch that. It looks like I already double posted. If anybody else wants to do the honors, that would be awesome but it’s no big deal.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh, you didn’t list the current list of things nominated, just the nominations we currently have

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At any rate, I only played a little bit of Rogue Galaxy back in the day. Maybe I should play more... I loved Dark Cloud 2 and this was by the same team iirc

nominations:
Elma x5
Octoling x5

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, not main people know this game, so: What is Rogue Galaxy and what is it about?
Rogue Galaxy is an action RPG made by Level 5 for the PlayStation 2. If you’ve ever played the Dark Cloud games, the gameplay and weapon fusion systems are almost exactly the same. The main difference between Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy is that in Rogue Galaxy, you fight with three party members at once instead of just one. There are also powerful skills each character has. Finally, Rogue Galaxy no longer uses randomly generated dungeons.

The story starts out on a desert slave planet. A crew of space pirates lands on the planet searching for the legendary hero, Desert Claw to join their crew and hunt for treasures throughout the galaxy. There is a big misunderstanding and the crew mistakes the main protagonist, Jaster Rogue as the legendary hero and take him aboard. The game travels to many different planets and each has their own stories and side characters.

Zegram was already one of the crew mates when Jaster was recruited and he was aware Jaster wasn’t Desert Claw so he never really warmed up to him until much later. Although Zegram is part of the crew, he has his own goals and ends up feuding with Jaster over something that I won’t get into due to plot spoilers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom