• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Like how Sephiroph brought back the boss rush through his classic mode, a League character brings back Coin Battle as a stage gimmick!

So, how do people feel about Mii Costumes? What characters would you like to see Mii-ified?
Miss Fortune as a Mii Gunner, Garen as a Swordfighter, and maybe...I dunno, either Sett or Sylas as a Mii Brawler.

TheFez

Smash Rookie
So, how do people feel about Mii Costumes? What characters would you like to see Mii-ified?
Ezreal is the clear choice for Mii Gunner, though Kai'Sa is absolutely an option. Her helmet-on form would actually look pretty good, I'd wager.

Garen probably wouldn't be the swordie costume. He's too generic looking and has a lot of overlap with existing costumes like Chrom, Black Knight, and Gil. I'd put my money on Master Yi, and I don't think there's really a lot of competition. He has an iconic sword and an iconic helmet, the two most important parts of a mii swordfighter.

Brawler just comes down to what Nintendo wants to do as far as favoring old or new characters. Frontrunners in my mind are Vi, Lee Sin, and Blitzcrank, but I could see them pulling out Ahri, Camille, Sett, or even something like Malphite. The sky's the limit, really.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Alright, here's a question: What's some music you'd want to come with an LoL pack? Given we got Advent Children music with Sephiroth, let's assume we can bring in the LoL music that isn't in the game itself. Oh, and be sure to add links for easy access. That's always nice.
Obviously, a lot of K/DA tracks for one. They're basically the flagship band of Riot Games, and it'd probably be Riot's idea to push for some of their tracks into an LoL soundtrack.

Pillow

Smash Lord

TheFez

Smash Rookie
Alright, here's a question: What's some music you'd want to come with an LoL pack? Given we got Advent Children music with Sephiroth, let's assume we can bring in the LoL music that isn't in the game itself. Oh, and be sure to add links for easy access. That's always nice.
Demacia Rising is one of the most consistently used themes in the setting. I could see it getting a Smash remix, taking inspiration from Galio's Theme and Poppy's Theme.

Gangplank's Theme would fit perfectly alongside it, representing Bilgewater in the same way that Demacia Rising represents Demacia. They'd probably have to crop the music around a bit to make it work, but all the pieces are there.

Braum's Theme. See above, but for the Freljord.

Jhin's Theme deserves to get in if just for how thematically brilliant it is.

Late Game could probably just be ripped straight from the game. A tad slow by Smash standards, but still very usable.

As for League's more tangential music offerings:
Blade of the Ruined King, because Viego and Pentakill both need the representation.
Burning Bright. Because every series needs a "joke" song (that actually kinda slaps)
Oh and I guess some KDA or something idk

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
SharkLord SharkLord hey, can you withhold or even postponed Gran/Djeeta for me until I'm back? I have a lot of stuff to do irl and I know that nobody has any experience with Granblue and because of that I don't want the conversation to go stale.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
SharkLord SharkLord hey, can you withhold or even postponed Gran/Djeeta for me until I'm back? I have a lot of stuff to do irl and I know that nobody has any experience with Granblue and because of that I don't want the conversation to go stale.
They're not presently in the top 7 and you've been nominating Saber, so they'll likely naturally be paused until you or someone else nominates them again...

On that note, here's the current noms list! I'm guessing the conversation is going to be extended for another 12 hours as things seem active, but I'm going to try to keep my timing in posting these consistent.

50+ noms
Farmer - x120
Agumon - x110
Masked Man - x105
Jace x95
Pyramid Head x95
Miriam - x75
Battletoads - x70

Gran/Djeeta - x60
Crash Bandicoot x55
Maxwell - x50
Amaterasu - x50

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Frisk - x44
Chosen Undead - x40
Neku Sakuraba - x40
Saber - x40
Magus (Chrono Trigger) - x30

11-25 noms
2B - x25
Imperial (Etrian Odyssey) - x20
Freddy Fazbear - x22
Master Hand - x20
Laharl - x20
Cadence - x20
Elma - x18
Mega Man X x15
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
Shovel Knight - x15
Trauma Center Content - x12

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Black Mage - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Jace Beleren - x5
2B - x5
Amiya - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Octoling - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Astral Chain rep - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Under 5 noms
Sans - x2
Alucard - x5
Jill Valentine - x1
Fillia - x1
Danganronpa rep - x1
Marco Rossi - x1
Gordon Freeman - x1
Dart Monkey - x1

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
They're not presently in the top 7 and you've been nominating Saber, so they'll likely naturally be paused until you or someone else nominates them again...

On that note, here's the current noms list! I'm guessing the conversation is going to be extended for another 12 hours as things seem active, but I'm going to try to keep my timing in posting these consistent.

50+ noms
Farmer - x120
Agumon - x110
Masked Man - x105
Jace x95
Pyramid Head x95
Miriam - x75
Battletoads - x70

Gran/Djeeta - x60
Crash Bandicoot x55
Maxwell - x50
Amaterasu - x50

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Frisk - x44
Chosen Undead - x40
Neku Sakuraba - x40
Saber - x40

11-25 noms
2B - x25
Freddy Fazbear - x22
Master Hand - x20
Laharl - x20
Cadence - x20
Elma - x18
Mega Man X x15
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
Shovel Knight - x15

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Black Mage - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Jace Beleren - x5
2B - x5
Amiya - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Octoling - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Astral Chain rep - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Under 5 noms
Sans - x2
Alucard - x5
Jill Valentine - x1
Fillia - x1
Danganronpa rep - x1
Marco Rossi - x1
Gordon Freeman - x1
Dart Monkey - x1
I mean I've been the only one that nominate them and considering for now they're going to be the first character inline after Battletoads I don't really need to give them more noms and just wait another week to give me preparation. At least that's what my plan anyways.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As We Fall
Light and Shadow
Giants
Phoenix
Villain
THE BADDEST
... and this. :4pacman: no really it unironically slaps

on top of what others have said of course, I just added choices nobody else has yet

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Technomage

Smash Champion

50+ noms
Farmer - x120
Agumon - x110
Masked Man - x105
Jace x95
Pyramid Head x95
Miriam - x75
Battletoads - x70

Gran/Djeeta - x60
Crash Bandicoot x55
Maxwell - x50
Amaterasu - x50

26-50 noms
Estelle Bright - x45
Frisk - x44
Chosen Undead - x40
Neku Sakuraba - x40
Saber - x40

11-25 noms
2B - x25
Freddy Fazbear - x22
Master Hand - x20
Laharl - x20
Cadence - x20
Elma - x18
Mega Man X x15
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x15
Shovel Knight - x15

5-10 noms
Daitoryo - x10
Black Mage - x10
Saber - x10
Ryza - x10
Jace Beleren - x5
2B - x5
Amiya - x5
Gunvolt - x5
Octoling - x5
Jill Stingray - x5
Astral Chain rep - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Under 5 noms
Sans - x2
Alucard - x5
Jill Valentine - x1
Fillia - x1
Danganronpa rep - x1
Marco Rossi - x1
Gordon Freeman - x1
Dart Monkey - x1
On it, Chief!

Gengar84 Gengar84 x20 (25 Total)
Commander_Alph Commander_Alph x15 (20 Total)
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura x30 (35 Total)
Technomage Technomage x10 (15 Total)
C chocolatejr9 x5 (10 Total)
GolisoPower GolisoPower x5 (10 Total)
Paraster Paraster x5 (10 Total)
amageish amageish x10 (15 Total)
Pillow Pillow x5 (10 Total)
Yiptap Yiptap x5 (10 Total)
ShrimpScampi ShrimpScampi x5 (10 Total)
SharkLord SharkLord x5 (10 Total)
I place all 15 of my noms on the Imperial from Etrian Odyssey again.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway let me split up my noms rn before the new day starts:
Elma x15
Octoling x15

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, new day!
1622049465964.png

Nomination: Miriam x10

I should also probably note that next week will include Ayumi Tachibana as per popular vote. We'll be cutting off the lowest of the seven characters currently set for next week's schedule to make room for her.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Alright, new day!
View attachment 316591
Nomination: Miriam x10

I should also probably note that next week will include Ayumi Tachibana as per popular vote. We'll be cutting off the lowest of the seven characters currently set for next week's schedule to make room for her.
Hmmm, Funky Kong sounds kinda an interesting topic to me.

As for movesets, I could see him using some fruit guns as attacks.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, my first question is would you guys like to see Funky get in as a completely unique character or as a semiclone or echo of Donkey Kong? I would think he at least needs the surf board.

x10 Battletoads
x15 Magus (Chrono Trigger)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Does Funky getting in mean Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with a New Funky Mode? :troll:

but seriously, would be come with Tropical Freeze content? We have a lack of that

D

Deleted member

A lot of you may be wondering, “Autumn Breeze, why did you nominate Funky Kong of all characters”? And the answer to that is very simple: I wanted to. Funky is the quintessential Kong. An over the top, stylish, yet laid back ape that embodies the duality of hilarity and gravitas that the DKC series balances so well.

While at first glance Funky may seem like an ordinary hippie, he is also a soldier who frequently aids the Kongs in their battles against the Kremlings from behind the scenes. He may not like fighting, but protecting his family is priority number one. It’s this incongruity that fascinates me, as any other series would take one look at Funky’s design and leave him as the wacky surfer dude of the bunch. Yet DKC adds this unexpected depth to his character, and by proxy, respects him as it would a real human being. This extends to the rest of the Kongs, as they recognize his dislike of fighting & allow him to act as support for them with his mechanical knowledge. This is the crux of why I’m drawn to Funky Kong: his humanity. In a series that should just be about cartoon apes punching lizards, Funky encapsulates the underlying human element and cements himself as the nucleus of the Kongs.

So with that out of the way, how would Funky work in Smash? It’s actually surprisingly simple. Draw from both aspects of Funky’s character. On the one hand you have a showboating surfer, and on the other an engineer. Neither of these elements are present in Smash, and Funky would therefore be one of the most unique characters on the roster because of it. I propose Funky to draw inspiration from his Tropical Freeze appearance, sporting a surfboard throughout most of his moveset:

This would instantly differentiate him from DK, and allow him to seamlessly perform various tricks, funny poses, & stylish motions off of his surfboard. However, for his special moves, I would like to see Funky’s engineering prowess in full force. Have him sport a custom barrel that can instantly morph between modified versions of Funky’s various creations. For example, his neutral special could be a barrel-ified rendition of the boot rocket launcher he uses to defeat K. Rool in DK64, and his up special would be one of his various planes (I’m partial to the Gyrocopter, but any of them work). A side special would feature DKC3’s Turbo Ski, while his down special would use the same game’s Hover Craft.

Neutral Special: Boot Rocket
BootRocketFunky.png

Funky fires a comically large boot from his rocket launcher, exploding on impact. Travels in an arc. Slow startup but quite powerful.

Side Special: Turbo Ski

Funky hops into the Turbo Ski, revving it up briefly before rocketing forward uncontrollably.

Up Special: Gyrocopter

Funky takes off in the Gyrocopter. The propeller protects him from above threats like K. Rool's up special. Pressing B during the move will drop a bomb below, but shorten the recovery.

Down Special: Hover Craft

Funky pops into the Hover Craft. It doesn't move very fast or deal a lot of damage, but anyone who touches its floatation device gets bumped back like nobody's business.

It all comes together to create a character that styles on you in every aspect of the game, from his crisp movement to attacks that would be taunts on any other character, while maintaining his mechanical quirks for some wacky special moves befitting of the series. And that's what it all comes down to. Funky Kong would be, well funky. And that's all that really matters when it comes to a party fighter. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Technomage

Smash Champion
A lot of you may be wondering, “Autumn Breeze, why did you nominate Funky Kong of all characters”? And the answer to that is very simple: I wanted to. Funky is the quintessential Kong. An over the top, stylish, yet laid back ape that embodies the duality of hilarity and gravitas that the DKC series balances so well.

While at first glance Funky may seem like an ordinary hippie, he is also a soldier who frequently aids the Kongs in their battles against the Kremlings from behind the scenes. He may not like fighting, but protecting his family is priority number one. It’s this incongruity that fascinates me, as any other series would take one look at Funky’s design and leave him as the wacky surfer dude of the bunch. Yet DKC adds this unexpected depth to his character, and by proxy, respects him as it would a real human being. This extends to the rest of the Kongs, as they recognize his dislike of fighting & allow him to act as support for them with his mechanical knowledge. This is the crux of why I’m drawn to Funky Kong: his humanity. In a series that should just be about cartoon apes punching lizards, Funky encapsulates the underlying human element and cements himself as the nucleus of the Kongs.

So with that out of the way, how would Funky work in Smash? It’s actually surprisingly simple. Draw from both aspects of Funky’s character. On the one hand you have a showboating surfer, and on the other an engineer. Neither of these elements are present in Smash, and Funky would therefore be one of the most unique characters on the roster because of it. I propose Funky to draw inspiration from his Tropical Freeze appearance, sporting a surfboard throughout most of his moveset:

This would instantly differentiate him from DK, and allow him to seamlessly perform various tricks, funny poses, & stylish motions off of his surfboard. However, for his special moves, I would like to see Funky’s engineering prowess in full force. Have him sport a custom barrel that can instantly morph between modified versions of Funky’s various creations. For example, his neutral special could be a barrel-ified rendition of the boot rocket launcher he uses to defeat K. Rool in DK64, and his up special would be one of his various planes (I’m partial to the Gyrocopter, but any of them work). A side special would feature DKC3’s Turbo Ski, while his down special would use the same game’s Hover Craft.

View attachment 316565
Funky fires a comically large boot from his rocket launcher, exploding on impact. Travels in an arc. Slow startup but quite powerful.

Funky hops into the Turbo Ski, revving it up briefly before rocketing forward uncontrollably.

Funky takes off in the Gyrocopter. The propeller protects him from above threats like K. Rool's up special. Pressing B during the move will drop a bomb below, but shorten the recovery.

Funky pops into the Hover Craft. It doesn't move very fast or deal a lot of damage, but anyone who touches its floatation device gets bumped back like nobody's business.

It all comes together to create a character that styles on you in every aspect of the game, from his crisp movement to attacks that would be taunts on any other character, while maintaining his mechanical quirks for some wacky special moves befitting of the series. And that's what it all comes down to. Funky Kong would be, well funky. And that's all that really matters when it comes to a party fighter. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
LOL The Boot Rocket was hilarious; if Funky enters Smash, then he HAS to have that move. XD

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If Funky Kong was only able to be an Echo, how do you think they'll make him different from Donkey Kong?

Nominations: Agumon x10

Pillow

Smash Lord

View attachment 316565

I really enjoy posts like this. Honestly I was pretty meh about Funky, but this really sold him to me.

If Funky Kong was only able to be an Echo, how do you think they'll make him different from Donkey Kong?

Nominations: Agumon x10
At that point I'd kinda not want him. His stylishness really doesn't present itself well as an Echo, as he'd be missing his signature surfboard except for like 1 move.

Noms:
Jacex10 (There's a small mistake in the noms calculations you have Jace listed twice, once under his full name at 5 noms)

D

Deleted member

Are there any specific alts Funky could bring?
BD350B21-15F8-4B86-B0E7-733514BB235A.png

The only one I like is an updated version of the DK64 look with military gear. You could go with a design based off his DKC trilogy appearances, but they’re not all that different from his modern look. As for alternate colors, they’d all change his surfboard color and design as well.

Edit: Nominating Elma x5

Last edited by a moderator:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Sorry I've dipped for a while but the power of FUNKY KONG has summoned me!
I love Funky Kong. I love his attitude and his character design and his somewhat minor yet beloved role in the Donkey Kong franchise, and I love how Nintendo recognized his fan-favorite status by making him playable in Tropical Freeze for Switch. He's easily my second most wanted echo after Shadow.

So, what should Funky's classic mode be? I think he could maybe fight against characters who use vehicles in their movesets.
All noms going to Mega Man X.

D

Deleted member

Noms: Neku x10

How likely is it that Funky Kong would end up prioritized over Dixie Kong? Or would the two be added at the same time?
Funky would only come before Dixie if Sakurai felt he could come up with a unique enough moveset to justify adding a less prominent character first. The possibility is certainly there, but I highly doubt it. The main thing Funky has going for him over Dixie besides moveset potential is his meme status from Tropical Freeze & being the best character in Mario Kart Wii. So to answer your question, not very likely.
So, what should Funky's classic mode be? I think he could maybe fight against characters who use vehicles in their movesets.
All noms going to Mega Man X.
Vehicle characters are a good shout for a classic mode tbh. Something like Wario, Bowser Jr., ZSS, Captain Falcon, Fox & Falco, and Olimar would work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Ok but the big question is will the Byleth zero-to-death work on Funky Kong too

Jokes aside, I’m not too familiar with DKC — my biggest exposure to Funky Kong was through Mario Kart Wii back in the day. I’ve seen some people say he could bring modern DKC content with him. Would it be fair to say he’s kind of like Bandana Dee is to Kirby in that regard, where he’s had appearances before the modern era but has gotten more focus recently, and could come with a lot of modern content?

Noms: 2B x10

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Jokes aside, I’m not too familiar with DKC — my biggest exposure to Funky Kong was through Mario Kart Wii back in the day. I’ve seen some people say he could bring modern DKC content with him. Would it be fair to say he’s kind of like Bandana Dee is to Kirby in that regard, where he’s had appearances before the modern era but has gotten more focus recently, and could come with a lot of modern content?

I'm honestly not sure, because I'm not well versed in pre-Returns Donkey Kong stuff, except for the arcade games. I think he could bring lots of modern content with him, but as for his moveset I think it would pull from more Classic stuff, as in the Returns games he doesn't have much apart from his surfboard.

And on the subject of him being an echo, I think it can work. You would just have to slightly change his animations in order to make him feel like Funky Kong. Make him have a little more pizzazz in his attacks. And give him a surfing-related move. If you did those two things, he would be the perfect DK echo.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Funky Kong I never thought would be on par with the likes of Dixie Kong, but after reading that @Autumn Breeze post, here I am proven wrong. He's got some popularity to him it seems. One of the best characters to play as in Mario Kart Wii, popular enough to get his own playable mode in Tropical Freeze (Said mode becoming a part of the box-art meme in a matter of seconds), an integral part of Donkey Kong's gameplay too (Fast travel, shop-keeping, etc.), it's surprising how much Smash can get out of this character in all honesty. I can imagine Funky being a heavyweight fighter with paradoxical Captain Falcon-level speed to replicate his acrobatic and fluid movement that ties to his funky personality, and some tricky attacks that make it easy to avoid others'.

amageish

Smash Master
When, uh, does the week end? This is a question I should probably know the answer to already...

I mean, if we must be as bare-bones as possible... Surfboard added some moves and adjust properties around that...

Funky Kong is a great excuse to bring in tons of songs from the amazing Tropical Freeze OST. It’s a shame that almost none of it is in already. What songs do you want in Smash the most from the DKC series?
Probably too calm for Smash without remixing, but I'm a fan of this one.

What Funky-ready stage would people like to see to flesh out the DK offerings?

Noms: Farmer x 15

D

Deleted member

Not really. Bandana Dee’s only appearance in classic Kirby was a one-off minigame, whereas Funky was a key figure in DKC 1-3 & 64. Funky did resurface for Mario Kart Wii (and now Tour), but the new Funky Mode is the first time he’s been playable in a Donkey Kong Country title. The main reason people believe he’d come with modern Donkey Kong content is out of necessity, considering how little of it there is in Smash.

~~~~

On the topic of him being a DK echo? Please don’t. The only thing they have in common is build. Giving Funky DK’s brutish moveset would be character assassination of the first degree. You’d have to change so much of DK’s moveset for it to work that you’d might as well make him a unique fighter at that point.

Top Bottom