• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Other changes could probably be made, like small adjustments. i.e. Luigi not having 14% back air. But overall the balance feels pretty good near the top.
Before you nerf Luigi's B-air you need to also nerf Doc's B-air beforehand. Doc has better airspeed, B-air that deals 14% also, and has 1/2 the end lag, and probably the same KO power too.

Luigi's B-air didn't get buffed to 14% for nothing. The increased end lag prevents him from doing more than one B-air from one shorthop, and somewhat restricts his edgeguarding game (No. You're not Mario who can spam similiar albeit weaker B-air off-stage). B-air actually needs commitment to take out, and it is fine as it is. It's not Falcon's B-air.

Falcon Dive.
It has wonky vertical command grab. What are you talking about. The horizontal range is lulzy but it doesn't cover the most important part on defending yourself when recovering: Above.

This is why it is safe to throw out Luigi's D-air on Falcon Dive. I never get grabbed while doing so from my memory. Ganon's a different case due to the hidden uppercut at the end.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Before you nerf Luigi's B-air you need to also nerf Doc's B-air beforehand. Doc has better airspeed, B-air that deals 14% also, and has 1/2 the end lag, and probably the same KO power too.

Luigi's B-air didn't get buffed to 14% for nothing. The increased end lag prevents him from doing more than one B-air from one shorthop, and somewhat restricts his edgeguarding game (No. You're not Mario who can spam similiar albeit weaker B-air off-stage). B-air actually needs commitment to take out, and it is fine as it is. It's not Falcon's B-air.

It has wonky vertical command grab. What are you talking about. The horizontal range is lulzy but it doesn't cover the most important part on defending yourself when recovering: Above.

This is why it is safe to throw out Luigi's D-air on Falcon Dive. I never get grabbed while doing so from my memory. Ganon's a different case due to the hidden uppercut at the end.
Wonky? Captain Falcon's Falcon Dive should not be beating Meta Knights disjointed forward air horizontally, which it does. It's honestly almost irrelevant most of the time that it barely protects him from above because of how fast it goes.

I am not saying it makes him too good, I am just saying that one of the core principles of the character--his poor recovery---is not as poor as it should be because of the odd, unnecessary attributes Falcon Dive has.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Dr. Mario can't really confirm his Bair like Luigi can, right? Look, if Luigi's Bair did 12% or even 10%, it would still be better than the Doc since Luigi can confirm a RAR Bair out of D-throw. That's if the Doc and Mario can't confirm their Bair.

Hmm, I wonder if Falcon Strike aka the Falcon Uppercut would fix this.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Wonky? Captain Falcon's Falcon Dive should not be beating Meta Knights disjointed forward air horizontally, which it does. It's honestly almost irrelevant most of the time that it barely protects him from above because of how fast it goes.

I am not saying it makes him too good, I am just saying that one of the core principles of the character--his poor recovery---is not as poor as it should be because of the odd, unnecessary attributes Falcon Dive has.
Falcon Dive is slooooooooow. Take Luigi's SJP and I'll show ya the meaning of

FAAAASSTTTTT.

Real talk. I have never, as a Falcon player, grabbed a character vertically without breathing on their faces. The move is pretty slow and doesn't cover Falcon much aside from the front. Besides, you can always hit behind him. Or N-air from above him because he doesn't have any hitbox there. His recovery is poor, even when taking Falcon Dive's hitbox.

Dr. Mario can't really confirm his Bair like Luigi can, right? Look, if Luigi's Bair did 12% or even 10%, it would still be better than the Doc since Luigi can confirm a RAR Bair out of D-throw. That's if the Doc and Mario can't confirm their Bair.
People can DI away to mess the setup (A the very least, it becomes more difficult). And if you miss, you're getting punished. And EVEN IF you hit, there's a chance you're hitting the sourspot, which does not kill until 200%.

I don't think confirming B-air is neccesary for Doc, due to him having better airspeed and requiring less commitment. His shorthop is also much lower and can hit characters way easier.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
The only character I feel needs nerfs to their kit is Captain Falcon. Not because he is too strong, but because his kit is overloaded in areas where it is inappropriate to the degree that it exudes bad game design. This is mostly evident in his hitbox sizes. There is no reason he should be shooting Ki blasts out of his jab, or have a longer forward smash than Ike. I would be fine if he got compensation buffs to other areas that were appropriate to his strength and weakness dynamics.

Other changes could probably be made, like small adjustments. i.e. Luigi not having 14% back air. But overall the balance feels pretty good near the top.

This is wrong, honestly. It would be nice if this was not perpetuated so much, and from Lucario mains no less.
I never understood why the hit box on his rapid jab is so disjointed. Compared to the animation it seems very misleading.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I never understood why the hit box on his rapid jab is so disjointed. Compared to the animation it seems very misleading.
Most rapid jab finishers have silly hitboxes to prevent them from whiffing off a successful hit. With that said, Captain Falcon's rapid jab finisher is probably the silliest.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
"Sakurai-san, everyone seems to be very upset that Snake is better in every single way over Captain Falcon in Brawl"
"Hmm... well now Kojima and I broke up, I guess the only way to not waste the thousands of hours I toiled over Snake's masculine physique and attack data to make him perfect is to just throw it all on Falcon instead".
*the tears and cries from all by Sakurai's infinite wisdom logic filled up the oceans so much that it overflowed into a time paradox 3 billion years ago; hence the explanation of how water came to build up on Earth in such vast quantities to support life*

So what's the general consensus on the following characters? How do we feel about them? These are characters I've heard about the least and dont really know the general consensus about them (bar toon link, I just wanna know a sort of paraphrased view on him to get a better idea)

:4tlink:
:4drmario:
:4bowserjr:
:4wiifit:
:4pit:
:4lucario:
:4jigglypuff:
:4myfriends:

I'm assuming customs on since that seems to be getting closer to being standard, since EVO has them enabled.
Well I can't be overly confident in my opinions on them with customs but in general
Doc still has a Mario kit with a better jump height for using his low landing lag/easy auto cancels in neutral. Customs give him some really cool options. His recovery is bad but he's able to get back/avoid those off stage death traps better than people give him credit for. Not really unviable as much as he's overshadowed by Mario and is more exploitable.

Bowser Jr suffers being unable to kill but has excessive damage output and a reliable early percent combo game (i.e. any confirm low percent is like 80% damage, it's ludicrous). However, beyond that he is generally overly limited. There is a lot of counterplay to his kit in terms of his up-b and his mecha koopa. This balance between his strengths and weaknesses haven't come out too well for him. Out of all the bottom half of the cast he's likely the "best" overall but is close to one of the worst killers in the entire game.

Wii Fit Trainer may have tough top tier match ups, but has arguably abusive abilities in her for frustrating everyone else. Likely the best character off stage by a noticeable margin (if she could spend the entire time out there, she would, and she does against nearly everyone). Generally underrated, she likely has polarising match ups against many characters. If you don't see Sheiks, Diddys, Zero Suits, Pikas (etc) in your region, you probably are capable of winning tournaments with her.

Pit is a very strong/solid character with no super weakness, but no super overbearing numbers either. Underrated in the West as our gameplay focuses more on best options/consistent damage output over fundamentals. Having a strong neutral but no free-40% or kill set up down throw hurts. But it's hard to see this character actually having losing match ups with barely anyone. ZSS seems tough for him, maybe Sheik too due to being stronger at mid range but so so so few characters can claim to be better/more diverse in mid range than Pit. I think a few small things like having an annoying voice and being unpopular in the West in general (+his playstyle from previous games being nausea inducing) is holding him back from being played as much as he's actually capable of succeeding.

Lucario I maintain is kinda "trash". He has debilitating weaknesses and an aura-crutch that shapes everything about him. His base kit being noticeably worse than Brawl (IMO) took away a lot of his strengths in managing neutral and eventually having aura help to clinch things. Now he's relying on aura to help him out and still generally requires hard reads to succeed even with Aura on him. Still a reactive-based character with a few solid moves in his kit, I think he is just outshone by the likes of Mario or Falcon. How well you can use Aura is a player-by-player thing though, even if I think it's fair to call him low tier, he can still produce top-tier results given the right conditions.

Jigglypuff seems to not really have much going for her, with no strong adhesive abilities to keep the game going in her favour. Rest is very strong and she has tons of room to grow into using it. In the long term she could rise up quite a lot when/if a player comes along who can manage the risk/reward of Rest appropriately in their favour. But until then (and unless you have that degree of mastery with her) she seems like one of the worst characters in the cast. Her weight class is the worst debilitating weaknesses a character can have, and very few characters can be consistent with sub-100% deaths being a majority of your stocks.

Ike is between underrated to weak. Definitely doesn't feel as if he's stronger than Marth anymore with dancing blade working, but prior to that he was likely the most viable Fire Emblem character. Super weight, disjoints, safe-ish moves used correctly, good mobility specs, a better recovery / different game conditions (not being cg'd to death) all make out to me that he should be strong[er] in the metagame, but it doesn't really work out. I would put it down to having an abysmal mid range game (i.e. almost non existent) with a not-usable dash attack and dash forward aerials being generally telegraphed and punishable on whiff. I think what hurts him a lot from Brawl is his Jab not being god-tier anymore, the jab Fox has now is essentially what Ike lost, and without it being an adhesive that gives him dominant close range gameplay he falls apart in practice even with all the boons he received.

Last edited:

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
luigis bair is totally fine, considering how slow and wonky he is in the air he should have strong hitting aerials to compensate.

Is falcon really that much of a problem? i saw it listed a page or two back about his tournament success but any time i tune into streams i never see a falcon going supper deep in a tournament. he has considerably more exploitable weaknesses then any of the other top tiers, combo food and a bad recovery. and as rangy and strong as his kill options are they are pretty big commitments and punishable. i just dont see how he is such a problem considering so many more things that seem stronger like shiek luigi ness

TriTails

Smash Lord
One thing about Falcon is on how his falling speed hinders him. If he was a bit more floatier, his recovery, disadvantaged state, and juggling abiities all would be improved.

Having fast falling speed is fine. It's when when you fall 'too fast' when it becomes a problem.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Go in to training mode right now and test the range of rapid jab 3's horizontal hitbox. Also do that for up smash and Falcon Dive.
I was talking about jab1/infinite jab from holding the attack button. I was just recalling from memory when I was testing jab ranges a few weeks back. I didn't test the range on jab2 or gentleman, though.

Just about all flurry jabs have a very disjoint finisher, but if they trigger without hitting your opponent, you're going to get punished no matter how good the range is at the end. The range is needed so you can hit people who continue to vector away. I guess it looks dumb, but it's one of the more sensible hacks considering how easy it would be to DI or air dodge without it, and it would be broken if you could be stuck in it forever.

Also, Falcon Dive's change is easy. It's a command grab in a game where grabs lose all trades. Understandably, the designers probably buffed its range a bit to compensate. It still doesn't put Falcon in too great a spot, especially if you tech and wall jump off the stage.

I still have no solution for super uairs though, other than that many characters seem to have awesome uairs and terrible dairs.

Also, Ike is just a slower Falcon with a sword. The improved air speed helps a lot, but ground speed has increased by so much for many characters that it cancels out sometimes. Ike has more than enough combo starters and the like, but his walling game leaves a lot to be desired. Ike just doesn't do enough % on many moves, such as his jab, side B, uncharged neutral B, and uair, the moves that are easier to hit with and may provide mixup potential once the reward is better. He has a few high % death combo setups, too, but you won't be able to reach from a spaced hit. Death grabs only work with little to no rage on the fast-fallers (heavy fastfallers are always hit).

His moveset is centralized on dtilt, nair, fair, bair, and grabs with the occasional other move. It's definitely enough to get by since Ike could win most of his matches just by outlasting the opponent then getting a random bair, perhaps being a threat for regionals. He needs to rely on pivoting, perfect pivoting and any other extra movement action people find. He has quite a few unexplored quirks such as his offstage traps and can wreck linear recoveries for free with just his neutral B, too.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Falcon's rapid jab finisher also has lackuster vertical range. Good luck hitting floaty characters with it.

Most of the time, he better off genteman-ing rather than rapid jab-ing unless he is fighting a fast-faller. This is somewhat annoying. Same goes for Pit(too)'s rapid jab finisher. It rarely ever connect, and punish you for landing a hit.

This is why I prefer Luigi's jab. Very quick and has high base knockback to properly function as 'get the hell off me' tool. Definitely one of the better jabs out there (Probably even one of the best? It's that hella good).

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I don't see this question discussed often: Was Luigi suddenly turned to a top tier AFTER the first patch in the game? Or was he just underrated in the first few month when he was so called "worst" in game. I know vectoring removal ,the discovery of jumpless cyclones on Wii U, and Boss seem to be the 3 major factors. But only vectoring removal was from the patch and I think it helped Luigi's D throw combo more. I don't remember how well Luigi's D throw comboed pre first patch in the 3ds days. From day one I was adamant he was at least mid tier myself [I thought he was worse than Brawl Luigi due to weaker damage output and weakened recovery] and I was ridiculed/ignored for it...obviously that's changed now, definitely high tier or better.

And on another note, I really think buffing low tiers is a much better compensation then nerfing top tiers. No one is honestly that broken at all, everyone is perfectly manageable...the only single thing that makes me throw my remote at times though is Mii Brawler's helicopter kick killing at 40%...I think THAT move needs a nerf and Sheik's needles. Other than that, nothing else needs change. Imagine changing Luigi's D throw, if it could no longer combo out of it Luigi has nothing left but good frame data and a fireball which would stuff him in lower mid. And no one likes their mains nerfed in that fashion as it reduces their level of fun to play also. I'm sure the rumor is Greninja took a massive amount of unneeded nerfs and now he's hardly heard of outside of Amsa. Sakurai, just BUFF the low tiers, not NERF the tops. There's no Meta Knight esque problems running around in this game or game breaking infinites like the ICS or DDD in Brawl. Hoo Hah was a well balanced nerf though, Diddy is still regarded as top 5 now anyways. As a Luigi main, I don't mind nerfs to him like harder to kill with tornado off the top or something, but messing with the D throw will literally ruin his defining trait that makes him such a blast to play.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
One thing about Falcon is on how his falling speed hinders him. If he was a bit more floatier, his recovery, disadvantaged state, and juggling abiities all would be improved.

Having fast falling speed is fine. It's when when you fall 'too fast' when it becomes a problem.
I have a love/hate relationshp with Greninja's fall speed.

On one hand, the vertical mobility is great and it really helps when you really want to get back to the ground.

On the other hand... ****ING UP-TILT CHAINS.

That's my main woe of playing Greninja and why fighting Mario and Pikachu, among others, is way more irritating that it has any right to be.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
From day one I was adamant he was at least mid tier myself [I thought he was worse than Brawl Luigi due to weaker damage output and weakened recovery] and I was ridiculed/ignored for it...obviously that's changed now, definitely high tier or better.
Ditto. I kept telling people that 1.0 Mario is not that good and Luigi is criminally underrated.

Yet look at us now.

On one hand, the vertical mobility is great and it really helps when you really want to get back to the ground.

That's my main woe of playing Greninja and why fighting Mario and Pikachu, among others, is way more irritating that it has any right to be.
Greninja just fall too fast to my liking. I'm at 42/43th of (fast) falling speed and I feel that 'a little bit more faster' and I can get back to the ground rather reliably.

Fast-falling speed means combo food, and Luigi likes it.

(BTW, D-throw to U-tilt is a thing for Luigi for fast-fallers. If you act too slow you'll be grabbed again and now is entirely possible to F-air chaingrab).

Luigi's U-tilt surprisingly combos about as well as Mario's, and is definitely need to be warned to fast-fallers. He can combo the last U-tilt to reverse U-air + B-air for pain. Fox, D3, Falcon, Falco, Greninja, Sheik, etc mains, take note.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Falcon essentially can go in when he chooses (due to mobility) and due to his extreme amount of damage output wins the war of attrition (due to weight and kill power) against most when that isn't what that character is designed to do.
When he gets in, he kills/murders you. When he's out or in the lead, he's walling you with jab and back air and using his amazing dash specs to run away from you.

If his hitboxes got tuned down to "realistic" he'd likely suffer significantly more in his high tier match ups (his jab already loses to many other high tiers, his normals frame data isn't exceptional). With less damage he would be comboing for longer over the course of a stock but wouldn't be overbearing to characters who can only do half of what he does with the 50/50 instances in game play. He would still murder people given the opportunities, and players who are masterful with Falcon would still achieve just that.

Right now there's so much base strength in what Falcon can do he doesn't need to be masterful unless he's playing against some very few choice match ups. When a 'flubbed' down air kills horizontally at 60% I become sad, when a falcon dodges or throws out an attack and buffers jab and annihilates most of the cast's punishment options with this, I become sad. When Falcon is losing a majority of the game and kills with sweetspot back air at 70-80% which he's capable of walling characters with, I just get... very mad. Nothing about any of this makes me happy to see from Falcon whatsoever, meanwhile Fatality... neutral air... amazing dodge reads/punishes, tech chasing, his execution being mouthwatering... why can't this be what is required of Falcon players to succeed?

Falcon is a -very- popular character in tournament. Your grind to top 8 or grand finals is likely to include 2 or more of them, and it genuinely feels as if you're fighting overbearing mechanics rather than the opponent most of the time. If everyone just opting to play Sheik (ZeRo has it right) to deal with poor balance (irony, I know) is what you'd like to see, then that's what's going to happen.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
When he gets in, he kills/murders you.
"Oh. Is THAT all?" - :4luigi:

Real talk.
If his hitboxes got tuned down to "realistic" he'd likely suffer significantly more in his high tier match ups (his jab already loses to many other high tiers, his normals frame data isn't exceptional). With less damage he would be comboing for longer over the course of a stock but wouldn't be overbearing to characters who can only do half of what he does with the 50/50 instances in game play. He would still murder people given the opportunities, and players who are masterful with Falcon would still achieve just that.
How much 'invisible disjoints Falcon has actually? I can only count rapid jab finisher, F-smash, Falcon Dive... and that's it?

Right now there's so much base strength in what Falcon can do he doesn't need to be masterful unless he's playing against some very few choice match ups. When a 'flubbed' down air kills horizontally at 60% I become sad, when a falcon dodges or throws out an attack and buffers jab and annihilates most of the cast's punishment options with this, I become sad. When Falcon is losing a majority of the game and kills with sweetspot back air at 70-80% which he's capable of walling characters with, I just get... very mad.
Do sour D-air really kill that early? That seems REALLY unrealistic, unless you're miles from the ledge off-stage.
And B-air killing at 70-80%... also seem unrealistic. You sure about this? I'll need to test this later...

But in all honesty, is Falcon nerf-worthy to begin with? His MU spread with the top tiers seem 'meh' enough.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

if it makes you feel any better jab locks are a pain in the butt against the frog :/

Pyr

Smash Lord
"Oh. Is THAT all?" - :4luigi:

Real talk.

How much 'invisible disjoints Falcon has actually? I can only count rapid jab finisher, F-smash, Falcon Dive... and that's it?

Do sour D-air really kill that early? That seems REALLY unrealistic, unless you're miles from the ledge off-stage.
And B-air killing at 70-80%... also seem unrealistic. You sure about this? I'll need to test this later...

But in all honesty, is Falcon nerf-worthy to begin with? His MU spread with the top tiers seem 'meh' enough.

For disjoints, Bair, DAir (sides), FAir (arguable. I've hit knees I haven't earned), Up-Smash all have disjoints somewhere in them.

As for killing that early... They can. Very, very situational, though. Like off the stage situational. Aka It's not as black and white as it's made to look.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Real talk.

For disjoints, Bair, DAir (sides), FAir (arguable. I've hit knees I haven't earned), Up-Smash all have disjoints somewhere in them.
No dash attack mentions? That's the move that irritates me the most when fighting him and is what brought me to learn he had disjoints at all, because I was constantly losing to it challenging it as Rosalina due to not accounting for the hitbox being as far in front of him as it is when timing my attacks.

EDIT: Thanks Kofu :lick:

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Greninja just fall too fast to my liking. I'm at 42/43th of (fast) falling speed and I feel that 'a little bit more faster' and I can get back to the ground rather reliably.

Fast-falling speed means combo food, and Luigi likes it.

(BTW, D-throw to U-tilt is a thing for Luigi for fast-fallers. If you act too slow you'll be grabbed again and now is entirely possible to F-air chaingrab).

Luigi's U-tilt surprisingly combos about as well as Mario's, and is definitely need to be warned to fast-fallers. He can combo the last U-tilt to reverse U-air + B-air for pain. Fox, D3, Falcon, Falco, Greninja, Sheik, etc mains, take note.
I'm aware of Luigi's up-tilt and yeah it's just as much of a pain as any of the others.

I never really felt like I was being combo'd more than average when playing Greninja, not even against Luigi. Amusingly I have the opposite problem, when I play other characters I get turned off because their movement is just not as good (except ZSS).

Greninja made me dependant on fast movement to function, hopefully once Lucas comes out he'll make me adjust to slower characters.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
what about these dudes?

:4miigun:
:4robinm:
:4gaw:
:4olimar:
:4samus:
:4metaknight:

also shaya, your response helped a lot, gave me a good insight into those characters, especially since my brother is a doc main and I pretty much go even with him as my TL

Pyr

Smash Lord
No dash attack mentions? That's the move that irritates me the most when fighting him and is what brought me to learn he had disjoints at all, because I was constantly losing to it challenging it as Rosalina due to not accounting for the hitbox being as far in front of him as it is when timing my attacks.

EDIT: Thanks Kofu :lick:
Oh god. I never even realized. That's actually hilarious.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
what about these dudes?

also shaya, your response helped a lot, gave me a good insight into those characters, especially since my brother is a doc main and I pretty much go even with him as my TL
Gunner (I'm talking tiny Gunner btw because I an't enjoy any other sized Gunner nearly as much) is a super mobile zoner with some strong edge-guarding (he doesn't even have to leave the stage and his edge-guarding is still super good) whose most serious issue is killing (outside of edge-guarding). Has a lot of potential and is so much fun to play (probably a nightmare to play against though). Gunner would so be my main if I weren't so worried about how Miis will get put as the standard (all hinges on them being allowed all their moves and, at least, their tiny sizes in either metagame, customs or no customs). I want to play the character so bad but only in the way I want to play them (I'm picky as ****, ok).

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
what about these dudes?

gunner has one of the richest yet most starved metagames I have seen

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
gunner has one of the richest yet most starved metagames I have seen
Pretty much since gunner is a mii. Brawler is doing ok but all of them have unexplored meta games. Not being able to be used to FG is a huge hinderence.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Pretty much since gunner is a mii. Brawler is doing ok but all of them have unexplored meta games. Not being able to be used to FG is a huge hinderence.
which is a shame because she has some really neat tricks with F-air (and maybe jab cancels? I can't seem to get much out of them help me @ san. san. )

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I find it funny that with standard mii sizes/1111 in mind, Swordfighter actually may be the most viable out of the bunch.
I've really enjoyed using my swordfighter mii lately #_#

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Luigi nerfs seem inevitable. IMO, the only issue with him is just how much damage he gets off a throw (50% for one grab is stupid, and he can get you to 100% with just three). I main Mega Man, so he doesn't bother me that much, but I imagine he's a nightmare for other characters. Regardless of whether it's justified or not, because his skill ceiling is so low, and he is having so much success, I would be surprised if he gets away without at least a slap on the wrist...maybe something to make it so that he can't combo into every possible move except missile out of a dThrow.

Falcon deserves the nerf more. He hits like a heavyweight, but has the speed of a rushdown character. It's the best of both worlds, and his crazy hitboxes and stupid throw that drags you to the edge of the stage only make it worse. He's beatable, but you either have to gimp him reliably, or completely shut him down in neutral, which only a small handful of characters can do (shiek...anyone else?). Also, I find his character extremely obnoxious. Getting grabbed, sliding across half of FD in the grab, then getting uAir'd twice for ~40% makes my blood boil.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
what about these dudes?

Gunner is basically the character you'd imagine from combining Villager and Samus with a smattering of a few others but with a functional grab. Frame data isn't great but has good range and some quirky attacks (FSmash only does 9% uncharged, probably to compensate for its insane range/longevity). A lot of potential, and viable either with all options available and even default. The biggest loss from default is the lack of grenades IMO but there are still good trapping tools available. Default size makes FAir pressure close to the ground better because low jump height is shorter than tiny Gunner's and the move has a lot of lag unlike Villager's. UThrow can kill at high percents with rage although it's contingent upon the bullet hitting after the throw and I suspect it can be DIed. I think Brawler gets attention because of his absurd mobility and ability to kill quickly whereas Swordfighter is automatically a draw with his apparent bottom-tier status and Trela's recent successes.

Robin has some strong zoning/pressuring tools but is hindered by terrible mobility and endlag on attacks. Levin aerials are terrifying, however. They all do insane damage and knockback and are transcendent (?) to boot. Wind jab linking better now is scary and gives him a better close range game with a chance to kill. But he still loses to faster characters hard.

Game & Watch has been talked about some in recent pages. Strong grab game, good damage, disjointed attacks, excellent recovery and edgeguarding prowess, and a low crouch (niche though). Unfortunately he's also one of the lightest characters in the game and has an awful time securing kills outside of edgeguards so rage poops on him bad. No autocanceling aerials from a low jump also sucks as it makes his approaches fairly linear and easily stopped especially by the top tiers. I don't think he wins a lot of matchups at the moment but also feel that not a whole lot are terrible. It would probably only take a few tweaks to make him at least semi-viable (not sure if Shaya agrees here).

Olimar's obnoxious (this is fact :p). He's not the fortress he was in Brawl but he can still wall characters out pretty well. He has an okay grab game (with killing throws from Blues), smashes with some of the best frame data, and the ability to rack of damage quickly. He can struggle to kill if people don't fall into his smashes though. His smashes being projectiles/reflectable gives them a clear counter but also a weakness involving clanking that, IIRC, most of his Pikmin attacks share, and one that I don't fully understand at the moment. I think he's strong but not overwhelming and will do better mixing in some aggression here and there. He would be easier to deal with on a general level if his model was bigger IMO. Also his new recovery is pretty bad.

Samus wants to be strong but lacks punch. Not being able to charge Charge Shot in midair is a huge inconvenience for her and makes it easy to pressure her out of readying her best intimidation tactic. Normals come out fast but typically have a lot of ending lag. Still lacks kill power but is good at edgeguarding. Strong throw combos... if she can get them. I could see potential from her but using her feels like walking a tightrope between demolishing and getting demolished. Why does ZSS have better damage output than her again?

MK is alright, he players very much a punishing/midrange game from what I can tell. Strong combos but poor damage output without specials (though they bump it up significantly). Not a lot of huge weaknesses when played right except his bad range but he doesn't want to be approaching anyway. Also has excellent edgeguarding and recovery abilities. Has true kill combos off the top so don't get above him if you can help it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
MK doesn't really have "poor range", it's just not good despite having a sword. He can't really poke anyone and all of his aerials are unsafe at neutral, but has the speed and mobility to bait and punish opponents nicely.
Also, his combos are a bit overrated, they kill certain characters at certain setups, but all of it is quite unsafe, and missing anything means you won't deal a lot of damage (due to his VERY low damage output) and probably will get punished, which is bad news for a light character like him.
All in all, he has a very bad neutral game, but he has tools to punish well. High-tier potential, but that's about it.

Also, anything he can do Falcon does better, except for recovering, but his punish game is a lot harder, safer, deals more damage with less hits, has a better edgeguard game, and mas more viable killing options (MK is not bad at killing himself, but Falcon is ridiculous in that regard).

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
which is a shame because she has some really neat tricks with F-air (and maybe jab cancels? I can't seem to get much out of them help me @ san. san. )
Similar to Link, both Swordfighter and Gunner have base knockback and knockback growth on their jabs. Combine this with Swordfighter's good jab cancels and Gunner's decent ones, you can jab confirm into kill moves. The % is a lot less strict for swordfighter, but Gunner barely has followups on fastfallers like Sheik until very high % (~130+). It's a lot better against floaties and mid-gravity opponents. The options also very depending on the hitbox location, jab 1 or 2, DI, and rage.

Gunner is mentally taxing since he has to think about multiple options with combining projectile choice and coverage, normals, positioning, etc. Gunner has some easy traps, but it's a bit stressful since you will be punished for whiffs.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
what about these dudes?

Catch up~
I can't say much about gunner, I really can't. From something I saw frequently in the 3DS era and was awkward to fight for visual reasons just doesn't seem to exist now. :S

Robin had some great high/top level players representing them early on and pushed that character far, but it become very obvious mobility or better ranged tools were exceedingly difficult to compete with and players moved on. Trela was like the last high level Robin in the US, but has obtained more consistent and better results with other characters. Now with a few buffs in mind, but no one to represent them, they're in a tough spot to evaluate. Nairo's convinced this character is mid tier or high tier and is better "going in". Offense is the best defense sounds corny for a tactician, but considering the range/priority/power of their attacks, being reactive and aggressive in mid range kinda negates their aforementioned issues to some extent, if they can be successful at it that is. Anywho with jab being more consistent and the likelihood of getting tome drops to use (which are kinda like Brawl ZSS armor pieces in power) increasing a lot [item game play being more relevant], their opportunities to succeed is definitely better and generally underdeveloped. What I said about this character from the beginning was "overloaded with options", and while having some of the worst mobility specs in history attested to that is a bit jarring, an option-rich character succeeds when used by very smart players, even at national level (e.g. Sonic in Brawl with X / Espy, Reflex with Pokemon Trainer).

G&W is an amazing character suffering with dying at 60% syndrome. It's pretty unfortunate, save a moment in your prayers tonight for Poor Sad & Watch. Grab game (high damaging nair, opportunities, up air at kill %), ground game (one of the best dash attacks in the game), traps (everything, that invincible up smash), amazing off stage and nigh ungimpable doesn't mean anything if you die at 1/3rd the percent you get your opponent to every stock. I think he's super glass cannon in terms of neutral/footsies vs not losing the stock first. However, at this point I don't know if there's much more we'll see from G&W in singles than what we already see in GimR; very few things haven't been implemented by him, to his credit [full hop stuff maybe and sh ad], so with the amount of success he has now, it could get worse as the tap of meta dries, and others characters continue flowing.

Olimar probably gives Diddy tons of trouble now. But I just haven't seen this since. With such a terrible match up with Sheik though it's hard for him to look solid although he probably goes even at worse with ZSS, Pikachu, Rosalina and I'm sure many other characters. That Fsmash buff that came with WiiU was essentially all he needed to cover up the heavily nerfed grab/pivot grab in most situations (i.e. exemplify his keep away/camping game). The buffed recovery/ledge mechanics also help one of his big weaknesses from Brawl. Better non-pikmin normals are appreciated. Essentially I feel as if all the character 'styles' he did well against in Brawl has persisted (so a majority of the cast, withstanding their buffed states) while the things he doesn't like have gotten worse (although MK/Marth/Falco's tools that allowed that have been nerfed, it now all exists in Sheik), which overall makes him fairer than before but still a top contender. However, Sheik. Did I mention Sheik? Hey Sheik. INVALIDATION. Like holy moly, I don't think after the Diddy nerfs there are any top characters who are shut down like this. Definitely one of the most potent pocket characters. But as he is such a different playstyle to the rest of the cast it's hard to maintain him / his mindset while also having a strong alternative character that you won't feel more rewarded for advancing. Meh, ramblings of ramblings of an Olimar main. But Sheik......... Also Falco is pretty good in this match up still, lol smash attacks that can be reflected.

Samus is just too hard. I think she can do great things but not really any better than others. Is kinda a wifi god (imo, japanese samus' are like, impossible to hit), so the likelihood of helpful fixes is low. I think someone mentioned within the last few pages their thoughts on Samus, so you should go look for that I'd say. Single fix though? Make up-b kill off the top at SOME point. She's actually -almost- scary on Halberd, even if 90% at the top of the screen is sometimes not good enough. Has room to develop, will probably look good in low tier tournaments at some point.

Meta Knight has top tier things on a middle-tierish disposition. Range, frame data, damage and safety seem kinda on the low side, but then dash attack and dash grab exist, and those auto-combo into so so so so so many things that can kill, coupled with 5 lovely mid air jumps, nearly untouchable recovery, extensively dangerous at gimping/offstage and "victory is my destiny" is essentially still the greatest Smash truth ever. I compare him to Falcon a lot, so if you want a Falcon who can recover at the price of no jab, no walling, little range, then phone in now and get a tiny hurtbox free of charge! I like playing MK though, if I was to recommend someone a character who wants to learn/focus on their mid range game play, Meta Knight is perfect (followed by Pit). Due to some of his deficiencies he may have polarizing match ups with all sorts of characters, while being able to go toe to toe with many top contenders even at this early stage where he still has room to grow. If I could trade something in his dash game for a buff to his forward tilt (or just buff ftilt anyway) he'd likely be a no-brainer top tier.
Itoi beating 6WX is really cool to hear about~ I hope future sets get recorded.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
What do people here think about custom Samus?
At least in theory she has potential but barely anyone's playing her.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Me "cries about how bad MK is in customs, he isnt viable"

Fye beats custom palutina with default and got 5th
Ito beat some custom sonic and barely lost to 6wx (on youtube) with default
Beats 6wx via rage stairway to heaven (not recorded) and wins with default

Why live.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Catch up~
That Fsmash buff that came with WiiU was essentially all he needed to cover up the heavily nerfed grab/pivot grab in most situations (i.e. exemplify his keep away/camping game).
Was there a buff to his Fsmash in the Wii U version? As far as I know, the range and damage of Fsmash is identical in both versions.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I still can't get over the F-air/Ftilt nerf that Gunner took from 3DS to Wii U. Honestly he used to be in everyone's high tier because of how incredible Fair as a walling tool was (like, seriously I think it was better than :4villager: 's Fair) but oh my goodness Wii U's landing lag sucks.

Thankfully he still has grenades and other stuff, but I'm still very salty over Fair. :p

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
I don't know the ins and outs, but Luigi is widely considered Pikachu's worst MU and possibly his only disadvantageous one.

Nairo is in the minority if he thinks Pikachu is a good choice to fight Luigi but as I said, I don't know the ins and outs, so I can't say if he's right or wrong.
Yeah one of my friend used Custom off Palutena against J.Miller because Pikachu can't do a lot

Edit:
Wii Fit Trainer may have tough top tier match ups, but has arguably abusive abilities in her for frustrating everyone else. Likely the best character off stage by a noticeable margin (if she could spend the entire time out there, she would, and she does against nearly everyone). Generally underrated, she likely has polarising match ups against many characters. If you don't see Sheiks, Diddys, Zero Suits, Pikas (etc) in your region, you probably are capable of winning tournaments with her.
Eww no. If there is sheik, diddy and ZSS you can win. If there is Pika nothing is lost but you will need some work. If there is Olimar, kirby, GaW then you won't have a chance.
Seriously you play ZSS, how can you think WFT loses to her

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom