• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Mewtwo is way better than in Melee, but is ultimately one of the worst characters in the game. That does't mean all that much in Smash 4 compared to many other games, but it is what it is.

He plays sort of like Ganondorf, with alternate focus on projectile/reflection and recovery.

I don't know of a single matchup Mewtwo wins.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I don't think Mewtwo is bottom 5 at all.

I think Mewtwo currently does suffer a lot against most matchups (which does put him at a very low position) but when I play Mewtwo or watch Mewtwo I can't help but just know that Mewtwo is so far off from being played anywhere nearly as good as he could be.

I am not claiming Mewtwo is high tier or anything, but it does feel like he needs to be explored much further and he does have a lot of solid stuff. High damage combos, good juggler, easy early kills, easy gimps. Not everyone can claim to have all 4 of those.

I do think Mewtwo has a hard time against rushdowns and he also has a hard time against characters with long and fast hitboxes (I would have said sword characters but Little Mac is also a problem because of how fast and far all of his moves reach).

I honestly don't think Mewtwo is bottom tier material, but I am also not a top level player so it's not like I am the most knowledgeable. What I can say though is that if you play Mewtwo enough you will notice how even watching the best Mewtwo's play (Trella or whomever you desire) you can tell that they still have a long way to go with the character. Something that isn't as noticeable on other top tier chars (not saying top tier chars won't advance in their own meta, just saying it isn't as blatantly obvious that the char isn't being played close to it's full potential).

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Mewtwo is way better than in Melee, but is ultimately one of the worst characters in the game. That does't mean all that much in Smash 4 compared to many other games, but it is what it is.

He plays sort of like Ganondorf, with alternate focus on projectile/reflection and recovery.

Guessing someone who lacks good approach options or any way of making Mewtwo commit. Kirby sort of comes to mind.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Mewtwo's matchups probably look similar to Ganondorf's tbqh.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy. Mewtwo might be bottom whatever, but that doesn't mean he's useless.

He's the only character will a deadly projectile AND a reflector, and he has a kill throw second only to Ness. Those are really non-trivial traits, and definitely sets him apparent from the floating lemur of Melee days.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
I believe buffered d-throw to knee true combos regardless of DI on Marcina at KO percents, but its pretty frame tight and the percent range it works at is pretty tiny.

I would have more reliable data on it, but im at work so I cant test to be sure

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Did you test it looking at the combo thing in training mode or did someone else mash air dodge? The training mode combo thing is a lie.
The training mode combo counter is one of those things that misbehaves in very specific scenarios like Mewtwo's side b, has since gotten brought up a few times and now some people think it doesn't work at all. It's very reliable with 99% of the moves in the game. Either way, dthrow results in the same amount of frames of hitstun at any given percent in both training mode and a real match, and the combo counter only registers a follow-up from Falcon's dthrow when the opponent is in hitstun. That and I've tried escaping it in 1/4 speed.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
So what are the best kill throws in the game?

A few that come to mind are Toon Links bthrow, Ness' bthrow, Mewtwo's uthrow, but what others are there?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
:4megaman:bthrow, :4mario:/:4luigi:/:4drmario: bthrow, :4olimar: uthrow, :4wario2: fthrow, and i *think* :4dk: bthrow are all good kill throws. :4sonic: bthrow is also still good as a "you lived too long you need to die" throw.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Also, I need to know more about the :4littlemac: vs :4mewtwo: MU.
I've heard @ Thinkaman Thinkaman say that Mac wins it, but how much I may never know...
Abridged, Mac wins convincingly.
Long version:All of Mac's followups from D-tilt work for rather long on M2, all of his kill moves work on him incredibly early, He's very easy to hit w/Mac's kill moves including Up-B, All of M2's options to edgeguard Mac are easily avoided especially with customs, ect. ect.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The training mode combo counter is one of those things that misbehaves in very specific scenarios like Mewtwo's side b, has since gotten brought up a few times and now some people think it doesn't work at all. It's very reliable with 99% of the moves in the game. Either way, dthrow results in the same amount of frames of hitstun at any given percent in both training mode and a real match, and the combo counter only registers a follow-up from Falcon's dthrow when the opponent is in hitstun. That and I've tried escaping it in 1/4 speed.
While I haven't tested it at all with a good player (or just outright trying to test it), I've only been D-Thrown to Knee once where I couldn't air dodge and I was DIng towards the stage by mistake. It might be that the Falcon's I've played against might just be too slow to do it or something. How tight is the timing I might give this a test with a Falcon friend of mine.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
While I haven't tested it at all with a good player (or just outright trying to test it), I've only been D-Thrown to Knee once where I couldn't air dodge and I was DIng towards the stage by mistake. It might be that the Falcon's I've played against might just be too slow to do it or something. How tight is the timing I might give this a test with a Falcon friend of mine.
I think rage increase KB without increasing hitstun. Vectoring too and in some way scaling can mess too with combo. Training mode is definitively the best option we have but it's not enough

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I think M2 just needs taj again or somebody like him to prove his worth, because all this talk about him having no good MUs is just baffling to me.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Bowser's bthrow and fthrow are stronger than Sonic's bthrow especially from the very edge. Sonic's bthrow is now Falcon / Diddy / Robin / Mega Man / everyone level. It's weaker from the edge than most but stronger if it gets to benefit from the full startup roll backwards.

Just tested and checked frame by frame. At 50% Mewtwo can act out of Falcon's dthrow on frame 41 starting from when damage registers. With up+away DI (optimal for avoiding the knee), the fastest I could connect with the knee was frame 37. There's 4, maybe 5 frames of leeway.

EDIT: Actually it was 42 and 37.

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Just tested and checked frame by frame. At 50% Mewtwo can act out of Falcon's dthrow on frame 41 starting from when damage registers. With up+away DI (optimal for avoiding the knee), the fastest I could connect with the knee was frame 37. There's 4, maybe 5 frames of leeway.
Damn, that's almost as easy as falling u-air to knee

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
From what I know, rage increases hitstun, but vectoring/DI doesn't.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
From what I know, rage increases hitstun, but vectoring/DI doesn't.
Yeah it's such a strange mechanic. Some combos which work at high percent but not at mid percent are messed but not like if rage was increasing hitstun as much at it was increasing KB. Some little percent combo don't work at all even with a 40% window and some (ROB Uthrow Uair for exemple) just don't work at all

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah it's such a strange mechanic. Some combos which work at high percent but not at mid percent are messed but not like if rage was increasing hitstun as much at it was increasing KB. Some little percent combo don't work at all even with a 40% window and some (ROB Uthrow Uair for exemple) just don't work at all
Yeah, that's what I'm kind of worried about, too, whether or not rage increases hitstun at the same rate as if it was a higher % with 0 rage instead.

The answer I got was here, by the way: http://smashboards.com/threads/mechanics-techniques-discussion.368206/page-28#post-19187897

Combos at the higher end seem to be easier right after I lose a stock, but that may not factually be the case.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
About kill throws, Greninja's up-throw is a pretty good kill throw too. It kills vertically so it doesn't depend on closeness to the ledge as much as other throws to kill reliably and Greninja also has an easier time landing grabs than most so it's very convenient kill move for when the opponent just isn't dying.

Smart play can also make it so that Up-Throw isn't too stale either and of course it's great in stages with low ceilings, I even managed to kill Mario at 80% with it on Halberd once lol.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
About kill throws, Greninja's up-throw is a pretty good kill throw too. It kills vertically so it doesn't depend on closeness to the ledge as much as other throws to kill reliably and Greninja also has an easier time landing grabs than most so it's very convenient kill move for when the opponent just isn't dying.

Smart play can also make it so that Up-Throw isn't too stale either and of course it's great in stages with low ceilings, I even managed to kill Mario at 80% with it on Halberd once lol.
Eh. That's halberd more than anything. I don't like keeping Uthrow fresh; that's my only problem with it. It's a reliable combo starter. On Halberd, yeah I'd leave it fresh. Everywhere else bar Delfino, I stale it. That's just me though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

It seems like Mewtwo is starting to get an inverse version of Ganondorf's asterisk in matchups.
Whereas Ganon is like "sure you may beat his neutral handily but he'll kill you if he reads you", Mewtwo is like (hypothetically)
"sure his neutral is better than yours but he dies easily if he screws up".

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Eh. That's halberd more than anything. I don't like keeping Uthrow fresh; that's my only problem with it. It's a reliable combo starter. On Halberd, yeah I'd leave it fresh. Everywhere else bar Delfino, I stale it. That's just me though.
Up-Throw isn't really that reliable of a combo starter past mid percentages so after that period I prefer to just save it for a kill. I like to use D-Throw a lot too since the angle it throws the opponent is pretty good for mixups even if there's nothing guaranteed out of it. Sometimes I also use B-Throw just because it deals the most damage out of Greninja's throws and so on.

I don't keep Up-Throw 100% fresh all the time though, but I do try to keep it as fresh as possible if I can and it works well for the most part.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Now that @ meleebrawler meleebrawler mentions it, Ganon and Mewtwo match-ups might have some heavy differences, such as the Rosalina one, for Mewtwo, while being disadvantaged, is probably one, if not his best among the top-tier ones, while Ganondorf's is flat out his worst match-up ever analyzed(though barring Luigi none of other top-tiers have been analized and his discussion was quite a while ago), for the first it's slightly disadvantaged, for the second it's an Brawlimar-like match-up, maybe not that much for the actual ratio but rather for how oppressive it is to deal with.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
:4mewtwo:gets wrecked by :4peach: basically because of dtilt. 60:40 :4peach: advantage
Whose dtilt, Peach's? While I can see it being a good combo starter against Mewtwo, it's kind of slow and it's
reach kind of pales in comparison to Mewtwo's. He also moves faster than her, has greater range on average and his
fair is a valuable, speedy tool against Peach in the air.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Bear in mind if you define a kill throw as a throw that kills at around 130% (or even 140%) then Ness and Mewtwo are literally the only characters in the game who have reliable kill throws. A few characters can kill below 130% with certain throws near the ledge e.g. Charizard's Dthrow, Toon Link's Bthrow, although a lot of those are badly affected by horizontal DI/vectoring.

So with that in mind I generally consider a good kill throw to be one that kills at 150-160%, I know that seems late but throws generally kill late in this game (and have done in every game in the series except 64 really). So you have Olimar's blue Pikmin Uthrow and ROB's Uthrow killing at about 150% (ROB's killed at 140% before the nerf), then Greninja and Link's Uthrows killing at about 160% with Marcina's Uthrow killing a tiny bit later. You also have a lot of Bthrows near the ledge and Wario's, the Pits' and Bowser's Fthrows.

Last edited:

Psyruby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyruby
3DS FC
3007-8155-8661
I'm confused at people who think Mewtwo has no good match ups. The only match ups that he has a clear disadvantage is very fast aggro. Falcon, Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Sonic, Fox, and I'm going to include Little Mac cause that match up is very relevant. I've found that Mewtwo beats out projectile dependent characters tho. Not cause of the reflector(tho that helps) but cause Shadow Ball goes straight through many projectiles and hits the user for massive damage and knockback.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm confused at people who think Mewtwo has no good match ups. The only match ups that he has a clear disadvantage is very fast aggro. Falcon, Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Sonic, Fox, and I'm going to include Little Mac cause that match up is very relevant. I've found that Mewtwo beats out projectile dependent characters tho. Not cause of the reflector(tho that helps) but cause Shadow Ball goes straight through many projectiles and hits the user for massive damage and knockback.
People seem to think Mewtwo's frailty cancels out any advantages he may have in any particular matchup.
It's part of that inverse Ganon asterisk I mentioned.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
Do command grabs also count as "kill thows"? Because then we have stuff like Lucarios(with aura) and Bowsers side-b.
well really what makes a kill throw distinct from other kill moves is that they beat shield, a very strong option in this game. so yes, i feel that killing command grabs are in the kill throw category.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
In response to Doc's B-Throw being a kill throw, it sort of is, however I think in terms of raw data it's weaker than Mario's (although this might change because Doc has a damage modifier applied to all of his things at a flat rate, it's weird). I'm convinced it kills slightly later regardless.

In relation to Mewtwo my feelings are mixed. Is he bottom, low, mid? I flip flop between them all consistently. He's a very interesting character for sure and I think the real concrete flaw is how frail he is (pretty obvious and been stated before but I'll chip in regardless). If the dude had Mario weight he'd probably be a lot more threatening than he already is.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
In response to Doc's B-Throw being a kill throw, it sort of is, however I think in terms of raw data it's weaker than Mario's (although this might change because Doc has a damage modifier applied to all of his things at a flat rate, it's weird). I'm convinced it kills slightly later regardless.
The difference is so negligible it's even.

Mario has slightly higher KBG on his B-throw, but Doc's has higher damage. Potentially, Doc's edges out of Mario once you get to 200%+, but the KBG makes it oh so slightly better at lower damages for Mario. But you should never see a difference in practice.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
keep in mind throws like sonic and toon link have high base knockback, which makes them strong killers at the edge, but truly good kill throws are the rare powerful upthrows like mewtwo and the bthrows with high knockback growth like Ness and Villager.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

:4miisword:?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Up-Throw isn't really that reliable of a combo starter past mid percentages so after that period I prefer to just save it for a kill. I like to use D-Throw a lot too since the angle it throws the opponent is pretty good for mixups even if there's nothing guaranteed out of it. Sometimes I also use B-Throw just because it deals the most damage out of Greninja's throws and so on.

I don't keep Up-Throw 100% fresh all the time though, but I do try to keep it as fresh as possible if I can and it works well for the most part.
Going off of this, I tend to use UThrow either before 75% or after 140%/whenever it's going to kill, factoring rage in.

It's the 75-140 zone where the move doesn't really do much other than add a bit of percent because it launches far enough so we can't really follow up, but it won't KO unless terrible DI.

DThrow and BThrow are pretty decent at most percentages, DThrow because of the odd angle, and BThrow is free damage.

FThrow, however, I don't find much use in. It throws at an angle where basically nothing is really guaranteed.

@Diddy Kong regarding Greninja vs Mewtwo:
I think it's likely a slight advantage on Greninja's part. The floatiness of Mewtwo allows for Greninja to get very early KOs (USmash & UThrow in particular) and such; Greninja's got the speed advantage on this matchup as well. There's some earlier posts that sum it up better, but that's my two cents.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Mewtwo vs characters with strong up throws is pretty funny.
Oh, you're at 100%ish.
Oh, I'm at 100%ish.

My name is Marth, your name is Mewtwo.
"You're going to die if I grab you at 110[+5-10]% Mewtwo" [pummels are gud]
"BUT BUT YOU'LL DIE IF I GRAB YOU AT LIKE 109%!"
"well I guess its a dash grab war, supplemented by swords and swords and swords"
*gets the up throw kill first*

Poor Mewtwo.
He's really fun in this game, but he's probably one of the safer characters to pick as low/bottom tier.
Very light weight and floaty just isn't viable in this game unless you have controllable puppets.

(:4jigglypuff::4gaw: feel for you)

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I don't think M2 really loses to sword characters, for example, because it has a lot of ground speed, tricky aerial setups, and enough disjointed range on certain normals to take advantage of holes, but if what you mainly remember are the times Mewtwo gets juggled, or the times Mewtwo dies at a low percent to a rogue F-Smash, then it's going to seem like Mewtwo is at a disadvantage when I don't think it really is.
FWIW I think Mewtwo beats Link. Unlike the other swordsmen Link relies on projectiles a lot, so reflectors put a kink in his major plan. Link's disjoints are also weaker from the sides in air-to-air, since bair and nair have no disjoint and fair's is lesser than Mewtwo's bair. Link would only air approach from vertical directions but since Link doesn't fly well, horizontal air approaches happen more often. On the ground Mewtwo's dtilt and Shadow Ball ensures Link's disjoints don't own the road. So, on-stage, I think the MU is evenish, but if the match gets sloppy Link of course pulls ahead. It's the off-stage game that's the dealbreaker. Mewtwo gimps Link easily, Link can't reply in kind. And Link's best anti-gimping tactic of tossing a boomerang at the ledge he's chasing works against him as well, since Mewtwo can reflect it en-route, giving Link 2 problems instead of one. I don't even see Link's customs improving the MU much if any. Mewtwo can't mess up obviously, but MU ratios presume no appreciable mistakes happen.

Not that having a winning MU against a Hyrule-tier hero means much... not even keeping you out of Hyrule tier yourself.

I can see Toon Link having similar issues, though with Mewtwo having a bit more leeway in messing up. But Toon Link's mobility make messing up a bit more likely, so that's a wash.

On the flip side, I can't see Marth having any problems with Mewtwo. Nothing to reflect, Disable has less range than the sword, and tipper even kills heavies at ridiculous percents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom