• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
I'm beginning to think Spain only has FD and Omega's legal, though...
Quite the opposite, in fact: look back in the VOD to see games on Pokémon Stadium 2 and the 'Loft.

While we're on the topic of this stream: this Fox is trying to shine (hit with Reflector) this Sonic in midair as he approaches for an up-air. Is that even a thing?

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Quite the opposite, in fact: look back in the VOD to see games on Pokémon Stadium 2 and the 'Loft.

While we're on the topic of this stream: this Fox is trying to shine (hit with Reflector) this Sonic in midair as he approaches for an up-air. Is that even a thing?
Was it the big reflector custom? If so, that has a windbox that could push Sonic away. If it was just standard shine... I'm pretty sure that's not a thing, its so difficult to hit anyone with it and you'd probably be better off d-airing or using Illusion to get away.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Who can reliably and consistently bust through Pac-Man's supply of Namco products?

Robin's the only one who can play the "Nope." Card and just blast everything with Thoron if Pac wants to pitch a tent, but is there anyone who can muscle through it with mobility alone?
Link and Toon Link would like to have a word with you. They're the walls of projectiles that can outmatch Pac's Namco products, as long as they're not a Key.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Link and Toon Link would like to have a word with you. They're the walls of projectiles that can outmatch Pac's Namco products, as long as they're not a Key.
More like match it because they can only clash with ours. Not to mention, if you shoot our hydrant, I get to ftilit it back at you. And that thing eats all of your projectiles for lunch

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hmm, can the Links block keys with their shield?

Aside from the hydrant, I think they could probably shrug off the 'Namco Tent', especially if they keep relatively mobile until the key is active?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If a Pac-Man is just sitting on the other side of the stage and throwing everything, just power shield through it lol. His fruit takes time to charge and his hydrant takes time to launch.

The only character we could probably sit behind a trampoline and camp all day is little mac. Pac-Man should be using his above average mobility to dance around in mid range and set up traps. There is a fruit to cover every approach, but they are also useful to help Pac-Man approach.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Hmm, can the Links block keys with their shield?

Aside from the hydrant, I think they could probably shrug off the 'Namco Tent', especially if they keep relatively mobile until the key is active?
Yes, the Links can use their shield to block Keys, but the Key goes through their projectiles while the others clank. Shield is the safest against Key and can allow for retaliation if you start walking toward Pac.

If anything can beat at least some of Pac's projectiles, it's Link's Quickfire Bow. The thing eats up weak projectiles and still goes through.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Rosalina can "lolnope" fruit and hydrants with Gravitational Pull. If Pac Man is feeling cheeky he can throw a power pellet at her while it's still in effect to heal...I don't actually know how much but I think it's like 2%? (But honestly if that's the worst he can do to punish it then I call that a win. That said I'm sure there's something worse he can do.) Luma Warp is a good long range "hi something's in your face" button.

Also GPull works on stationary hydrants unless that got changed in 1.0.6.
How is Pac-Man healing a win for Rosalina? It's only 2%, but it's 2% more than zero and Pac-Man can keep doing it.

GP resets hydrant cool down, so Pac-Man can throw another immediately. He heals, she gets nothing. I'm willing to sit back and take my 2%'s until i hit zero.

Customs, we get the On Fire Hydrant. Its flames knock Luma into tumble regardless of its damage, making warping him everywhere dangerous. Considering Luma can't block either, I'd imagine it'd be quite a nuisance in general.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
fire wall and speed thunder works wonders against rushdown. Gliding elwind also cover one of his major weakness, predictability and the slowness of his recovery.

This customs are his kit to fight against the meta.

@Noble fire wall covers the blind spot in front of robin.
Ehh, not really.

Fire Wall doesn't really get around the top tiers demolishing you at close range. It doesn't even have a lingering hitbox. peed Thunder helps, but only to a certain degree. It's still useless against Sheik for instance. Outside of Speed Thunder, you don't really see Robin's customs being used in high level play.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
Rosalina has Mega Man's ability to change directions, and she's also floaty while not being slow in the air like Luigi. Go check Toomai's posts if you don't believe me. That part of Rosalina's air mobilty + disjointed D-air make it really hard to chase her with U-smash.
does megaman's ability to change directions put his air mobility higher than most of the cast?

also, doesn't wario also have this?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
:4megaman: is top 3?(maybe 4/5) in all aspects regarding aerial mobility, except air speed(he's top 10 there). :4wario: has similar aerial "control", but his airspeed is 3rd.

BSP

Smash Legend
The term you're looking for is acceleration.

Sonic busts through Pac-Man's control tools the best, but we need to see how well he can respond to Pac-Man camping the ledge with trampoline. Pac-Man gives up all stage positioning, but Sonic's running game is neutralised, and so are spin dash / charge from the ground.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i'm referring to control as both deceleration and acceleration. :4megaman: and :4wario: are both top 5 in that department.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
How is Pac-Man healing a win for Rosalina? It's only 2%, but it's 2% more than zero and Pac-Man can keep doing it.

GP resets hydrant cool down, so Pac-Man can throw another immediately. He heals, she gets nothing. I'm willing to sit back and take my 2%'s until i hit zero.

Customs, we get the On Fire Hydrant. Its flames knock Luma into tumble regardless of its damage, making warping him everywhere dangerous. Considering Luma can't block either, I'd imagine it'd be quite a nuisance in general.
Because 2% is practically nothing and she can just hit Pac Man back with jab 1 to break even again. I mean, I'm not going to sit back and spam GP while you keep feeding yourself pellets, that's stupid, but as a one-time punish I'm not worried.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
One major difference between Mega Man and the rest of the high aerial mobility characters is that he has super fast fall speed. It's both a strength and a weakness, but in terms of the former it really lends itself to his overall ability to juke.

Aerial mobility in general is an odd combination of various factors. As mentioned, Mega Man is good to great in just about every aerial movement stat, but what makes his jumping distinctive is extremely high aerial friction (the highest in the game) and high acceleration. It's what allows him to instantly stop almost instantly in the air, and also what allows him to fade so well with the neutral air.

Megamang

Smash Lord
One major difference between Mega Man and the rest of the high aerial mobility characters is that he has super fast fall speed. It's both a strength and a weakness, but in terms of the former it really lends itself to his overall ability to juke.

Aerial mobility in general is an odd combination of various factors. As mentioned, Mega Man is good to great in just about every aerial movement stat, but what makes his jumping distinctive is extremely high aerial friction (the highest in the game) and high acceleration. It's what allows him to instantly stop almost instantly in the air, and also what allows him to fade so well with the neutral air.

And pellets really synch well with this. Nothing is more annoying than getting juked and then eating 3 pellets which totally disrupt what you were doing... all match... constantly...

BSP

Smash Legend
Because 2% is practically nothing and she can just hit Pac Man back with jab 1 to break even again. I mean, I'm not going to sit back and spam GP while you keep feeding yourself pellets, that's stupid, but as a one-time punish I'm not worried.
It's not one time unless Rosalina does something about it. Unless she approaches, Pac-Man can keep flinging hydrants. Her non-GP responses entail Luma dying, Rosalina going high airborne, or open to a punish from Pac-Man.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
i'm referring to control as both deceleration and acceleration. :4megaman: and :4wario: are both top 5 in that department.
They're the best two actually iirc. Great difference between normal fall speed and fast falling too.

Megamang

Smash Lord
In real life, there is no such thing as deceleration. Just acceleration against your current velocity. Does smash have different values for acceleration and deceleration? Because that seems complicated and silly.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
In real life, there is no such thing as deceleration. Just acceleration against your current velocity. Does smash have different values for acceleration and deceleration? Because that seems complicated and silly.
Think of it like brakes and acceleration in a car.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
the best way i can explain this is that when you jump forward with someone like :4mario:, he keeps going for a while before he stops. with :4megaman:, he stops moving the moment you lift your finger off the stick. the acceleration is how long it takes to reach top air speed, the "deceleration" is how long it takes to stop.

Megamang

Smash Lord
So deceleration is pretty much natural air friction? And these values are different than accel, and not necessarily proportional?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
pretty much. seems like :4megaman:s manufacturers forgot to lube him up. for the better, i guess!:grin:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mewtwo has so many unorthodox ways to alter his movement in the air it's kind of silly. The simplest one
is basically using his confusion jump to elude a landing trap and/or change direction to better challenge his opponent.
But he also has a semi-viable means of essentially double-jump cancelling with disable (confusion can work too,
but do you really want to waste the one hop?). A disciplined player could use it to control the height he gets from his second
jump or fool opponents on the ground, particularly with it's deceptive range. And then of course there's shadow ball recoil.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Mewtwo has so many unorthodox ways to alter his movement in the air it's kind of silly. The simplest one
is basically using his confusion jump to elude a landing trap and/or change direction to better challenge his opponent.
But he also has a semi-viable means of essentially double-jump cancelling with disable (confusion can work too,
but do you really want to waste the one hop?). A disciplined player could use it to control the height he gets from his second
jump or fool opponents on the ground, particularly with it's deceptive range. And then of course there's shadow ball recoil.
But Mewtwo's aerial movement is like Shulk's in his Jump stat, where he's too hard to move left or right. It's very poor sideways movement.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But Mewtwo's aerial movement is like Shulk's in his Jump stat, where he's too hard to move left or right. It's very poor sideways movement.
Pretty sure Shulk's aerial acceleration is always bad, not just in Jump.

Not quite sure about Mewtwo's air acceleration, but even if it's not very good, confusion and double-jump-cancelled
disable can do a good job of masking it. The rise of his second jump and falling speed are definitely slow, though, which
can contribute to making him feel sluggish and awkward in the air if you're not accustomed to his options.

Megamang

Smash Lord
He would feel more like the evasive character he was supposed to feel like (based on teleport, airdodge animations, and all the momentum stuff mentioned above) if his ****ing hurtbox wasn't so big. Honestly, I get that he can't be bizarrely small, but he should be heavier than pikachu...

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
:4ganondorf: is mentally unstable, has been unable to defeat a green clad elf, and is poorly represented in smash. I think he has plenty of reason to be sad, but his disposition means he is filled with rage.

Ulevo

Smash Master
:4ganondorf: is mentally unstable, has been unable to defeat a green clad elf, and is poorly represented in smash. I think he has plenty of reason to be sad, but his disposition means he is filled with rage.
That's dumb. Ganondorf should be thankful for what he has. Think of all the children without food in third world countries Zelda.

So I don't get infracted, what do people think of Mr. Game & Watch. GimR went off recently and he's shown he's got some solid stuff.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Believe me Ganondorf loves his rage.

It's very difficult to get an idea of where Mewtwo is competitively because, well he's barely had any time to develop. It hasn't even been a month.

Which actually makes me wonder: which character has the least-developed meta right now?

Besides Mewtwo!

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Which actually makes me wonder: which character has the least-developed meta right now?

Besides Mewtwo!
The Mii Fighters and er... Zelda? Oh, and we definitely can't forget this guy: :substitute:. I never seen this dude in action.

wm1026

Smash Cadet
So I've been experimenting with Bowser Jr.(Larry) and I think he has loads of potential. His Mecha Koopa is a strong zoning tool and while his cannon isn't the best projectile, it isn't useless by any means. His side B is just mind games waiting to happen and his edge guarding game is really good especially with his up B. His ariels are really good. His up air being a good juggling tool while his forward and back air have have good priority, and his forward air can be used for both comboing and killing. I personally can see him in high to high mid tier, but I would like to know what everyone else thinks of him?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
:4jigglypuff:/:4tlink:. the reps they do have(if any)are probably mediocre. but lets hope serynder(:4jigglypuff:) keeps getting better. he's literally the only rep i can name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom