• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ Ffamran Ffamran No, even if you can cover the space below you, it still only mitigates the inherent positional weakness of falling & landing.

I also don't think Melee spacies' shield pressure is quite analogous as air-to-ground is different than being "above" someone.
Kind of assumed so, but it would be interesting to have a character excel at pressuring below themselves or have strong, quick options below them. I can only think of Meta Knight and Peach who do this. Maybe Kirby, Yoshi, Fox, and Lucario, but they're not as safe. Starting to wonder and wished Falco kept his frame 5 Dair, but made much, much weaker as a spike - weaker than Phantasm's - and potentially trips on grounded opponents.

:4falcon: and :4ganondorf: are my best guesses cause of their D Airs but other than them, not too sure. In certain cases, other characters with strong D Air meteors would like it to, as :4diddy::4dk::4link:.
Still not what I was asking. I probably should have worded my question better.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I imagine that any character that loved to be above the opponent would be rather unbalanced. When we say that characters love others to be above them, that covers a huge range - not just the area directly above them, but in a wider area as well (depending on how high the opponent is). Reversing that implies that the character can (depending again, on how they are) cover the entire ground with ease. Anti-ground moves instead of anti-air. In the end, the most we can get in that arena are the characters that don't mind being in the air as much, like ParanoidDrone said.

Cassio

Smash Master
Even now i'm not sure if Pika can claim to be on the same level as Diddy in terms of grab game.
Admittedly part of my perception of pikachus throws were based on things Ive tested myself and have only told very few. Some of this is known or partially known, dthrow > fair is probably what most will be interested in. Anyways, this is a general comparison afaik. Feel free to correct anyone.

Pika:
+Dthrow > uair > (extended string) [over 16%]
--Occuring at low percent, the extended string depends on the player since their's no optimized path

+Dthrow > Fair > (Fair) [19-29%]
--This one works for quite awhile
**--After the Dthrow > Fair can be escaped with an airdodge, it still sets a frame trap to be hit by other aerials**
--This one starts working after the low %'s.
--Pikachu can attempt to fair spike to continue the combo with another grab. Needs more testing.

+Uthrow Kill
--Kills Diddy between 150-190 depending on rage

+Uthrow > thunder frame trap
--For high percents. Pikachu has time to react to the opponents DI (uthrow has a fair amount of endlag) but cannot thunder them before they airdodge if they DI. However the only option to escape thunder is airdodge, making this a 50/50.

*Pikas dthrow > fair Im pretty sure is new unless someone else figured it out too, but I dont see people use it. It can be a little tricky.
*Uthrow kills people knew about, but maybe not the percent. Versus diddy and other MU's having a trump card kill throw is good.
*People were awareish of the thunder frame trap. What I think was less certain is that pikachu does indeed have time to read the opponents DI during uthrow cooldown, and their only option to avoid thunder is airdodge.

Diddy:
+dthrow > upair > upair [18%]
+dthrow > fair [16%]
+uthrow > upair [14%]
+uthrow > fair [19%]

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
3/7 match-up means you will never win vs a competent opponent that knows what to do.

Doesn't matter what game we are talking about.
Disagree. What does 2/8 mean, then? 9/1? The point is that point is that most people take these matchup ratios to mean "x victories out of 100 matchups." That we're still stuck deciphering what these numbers mean to every person is yet more proof that we should just use words.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's faster then typing virtually unwinnable.

I never have these ridiculous arguments over semantics over on Shoryuken

It is a constant reminder of how young the smash community is

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The main thing I look for in a matchup is how seriously I need to consider using a different character. (Alternatively, how badly I'll get spanked if I don't switch.)

Also I think it's important to remember that matchups like we tend to discuss here don't really apply to small insular groups of friends.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
It's faster then typing virtually unwinnable.

I never have these ridiculous arguments over semantics over on Shoryuken

It is a constant reminder of how young the smash community is
You're not wrong. From what I understand, the way we construct tier lists is also different from the rest of the FGC at large. We need to either standardize these matchups with a description somewhere visible, or just stick with descriptions. People don't have the same ideas here when it comes to matchup numbers.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
SRK is the like..the twilight zone compared to here. On SRK everyone thinks their character sucks and tend to be humble when it comes to who beats who. One thing is trending though on both sites, and that is the practice of being scared to throw out ratios that seem very skewed. Throw out anything above 6/4 and people get all *GASP* and "BY THE BEARD OF THE ALL-FATHER!!!" It is very taboo.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
The +/- 1 to 4 system should be standardized now that there's still time for it when tier lists or MU charts haven't been made yet.

And to be honest, a matchup chart should come first, then a tier list based on that chart.

Also the FGC isn't much more mature; everyone's main always sucks unless they're top tier, in which case their character is average.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
The thing with games that are apart of the FGC, hell even Playstation-Allstars, is that system mechanics tend to be very readable and easily understood enough to be able to gauge a character's strength. It also helps that developers are more transparent when it comes to patch notes and that these games actually have REAL training modes.

Meanwhile with Smash we have alots of things that are hard to understand without looking into the game itself like, Sakurai Angles, how Rage interacts with BKB and KBG, or at the time, vectoring.

everyone's main always sucks unless they're top tier, in which case their character is average.
What lol.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The +/- 1 to 4 system should be standardized now that there's still time for it when tier lists or MU charts haven't been made yet.

And to be honest, a matchup chart should come first, then a tier list based on that chart.

Also the FGC isn't much more mature; everyone's main always sucks unless they're top tier, in which case their character is average.
I agree on the matchup chart -> tier list progression.

I also want to add that 3/7 shouldn't be considered "unwinnable" anyways. Depending on how precise we want the scale to be. On the hard side, hard (4:6), unwinnable (3:7), and the easy side (6:4 not hard), free (7:3). Then obvs even.

My suggestion (feel free to criticize harshly) is as follows:

0:100 - Loss is a necessary truth
10:90 - Unwinnable
20:80 - Virtually unwinnable
30:70 - Huge disadvantage
40:60 - Disadvantage
50:50 - Even
60:40 - Advantage
70:30 - Huge advantage
80:20 - Virtually unlosable
90:10 - Unlosable
100:0 - Victory is a necessary truth

Disclaimer: Everything here is based upon two equally skilled players playing at a high level.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Starting out, it will be really hard to differentiate 30:70 20:80 10:90 0:100 from each other. I suggest.

7:3 Won at Character Select
6:4 Advantage
5:5 Even
4:6 Disadvantage
3:7 Loss at Character Select

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't really see the difference between "huge advantage", "virtually unwinnable", "unwinnable", or "loss is a necessary truth" when they all speak the same thing to me. Also why MU ratios are completely arbitrary numbering when just great advantage > advantage > small advantage > even < small disadvantage < disadvantage < great disadvantage (or +3 > +2 > +1 > 0 < -1 < -2 < -3, and while still numbers it still isn't as arbitary as stupid as ratios) along with a description gets the idea across just fine and is more concise/accurate in what it means.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I don't really see the difference between "huge advantage", "virtually unwinnable", "unwinnable", or "loss is a necessary truth" when they all speak the same thing to me. Also why MU ratios are completely arbitrary numbering when just great advantage > advantage > small advantage > even < small disadvantage < disadvantage < great disadvantage (or +3 > +2 > +1 > 0 < -1 < -2 < -3, and while still numbers it still isn't as arbitary as stupid as ratios) along with a description gets the idea across just fine and is more concise/accurate in what it means.
Really it's for the sake of using the entire scale, as well as being more precise in wording. Huge disadvantage and virtually unwinnable are pretty different, though. In my eyes, it's the difference between, say... Kirby vs Yoshi, and Little Mac vs MK. As for the rest... yeah, they're there to fill up the rest of the numbers on the scale.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Fourth, even if you agree with my (definitely best) definition of "standard deviation of matchup ratios", an implication of that is that larger casts will tend to be more balanced. This is at odds with most people's intuitions regarding balance, since balance is a subtractive design element (so laymen evaluate it based on outlier anecdotes) and balance design work is indeed exponentially more difficult with more characters. (There is on average "less distance to go", but the difficulty of going that distance is exponentially higher.)
This applies to moves as well.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
SRK is the like..the twilight zone compared to here. On SRK everyone thinks their character sucks and tend to be humble when it comes to who beats who. One thing is trending though on both sites, and that is the practice of being scared to throw out ratios that seem very skewed. Throw out anything above 6/4 and people get all *GASP* and "BY THE BEARD OF THE ALL-FATHER!!!" It is very taboo.
There's a pretty big difference between SRK and SWF. I'd go into detail but I may get banned .

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
3/7 match-up means you will never win vs a competent opponent that knows what to do.

Doesn't matter what game we are talking about.
It really depends on your personal definition of what a matchup ratio represents. Some people believe that 3/7 means that out of 10 games between 2 similarly skilled high level players, on average one would win 3 games and the other 7 games. In this case, a 3/7 matchup is still winnable. As such, people with this definition of matchup ratios tend to give out more skewed matchup ratios.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
So Mewtwo is out for everyone who didn't buy both versions (or people like me who bought both versions but got cheated out by Nintendo's small print). He feels powerful, and very fun, but jesus christ does his weight hold him back. Like, you will die to the most random things. A sourspot Marth Fsmash killed me at around 70% and I was only sorta-kinda close to the edge of the stage.

Not impressed by his throws' ability to set up follow-up hits, but that could just be me being bad at punishing people with Mewtwo when they waste their double jump early. Fthrow seems to put them in a better position than Dthrow, I thought Mewtwo's Dthrow was a carbon copy of Greninja's (~65 degree angle, too much ending lag for true combos but a good setup throw) but I think it's worse... I don't think he sends them far enough away until really high percents.

I have plenty more observations but I don't wish to repeat things that everyone probably said two weeks ago. I'll just finish by saying I think his killing power and range are really good but plenty of things offset those benefits. Also is it me or does Mewtwo have a horrible time trying to land? Really tough to land safely without a ton of lag. At least Teleport into the ground has less landing lag than when Mewtwo lands from helpless.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm just disappointed he apparently has no custom moves.

Maybe he WILL someday, but of course Nintendo won't mention anything about it. At all. :/

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
With the nw patch things have most certainly changed. I no longer think Diddy is ban worthy but his nerfs didn't really change much. We're already seeing that in results with customs diddy still has the kill power for before. With that said here's my current top ten

Pikachu Diddy Sheik Luigi Fox Mii Brawler Sonic ZSS Falcon Rosalina.

Not much has changed and this is ordered with customs taken into account. It could just be me but I've soured on Rosalina quite a bit and I don't think she can handle the rushdown characters too well and the Luma nerf hurts(ccould be my own personal bias).

Pikachu is the best character in the game IMO and it's probably close but the reason I give him the edge is because of his MU's and the other characters got nerfed. He also excels in most aspects of the game. I think he benefits the most from this patch.

I didn't take into account non customs. I'm not sure what would change but Diddy and pikachu would probably be a bit lower.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
So Mewtwo is out for everyone who didn't buy both versions (or people like me who bought both versions but got cheated out by Nintendo's small print). He feels powerful, and very fun, but jesus christ does his weight hold him back. Like, you will die to the most random things. A sourspot Marth Fsmash killed me at around 70% and I was only sorta-kinda close to the edge of the stage.

Not impressed by his throws' ability to set up follow-up hits, but that could just be me being bad at punishing people with Mewtwo when they waste their double jump early. Fthrow seems to put them in a better position than Dthrow, I thought Mewtwo's Dthrow was a carbon copy of Greninja's (~65 degree angle, too much ending lag for true combos but a good setup throw) but I think it's worse... I don't think he sends them far enough away until really high percents.

I have plenty more observations but I don't wish to repeat things that everyone probably said two weeks ago. I'll just finish by saying I think his killing power and range are really good but plenty of things offset those benefits. Also is it me or does Mewtwo have a horrible time trying to land? Really tough to land safely without a ton of lag. At least Teleport into the ground has less landing lag than when Mewtwo lands from helpless.
Mewtwo's D-throw is a lot like Greninja's. Nothing's guaranteed from it, but it sets up into a lot. The biggest thing is probably running U-smash, which D-throw sets up into really well at kill percent, but is avoidable by jump. F-air is a great followup at nearly all percents, though it's not guaranteed either. N-air is a nice low lag followup. I don't find F-throw to be very good for followups, but the damage is nice and the positioning is decent.

The weight really does suck for him, but his damage per hit is great and he has one of the easiest times with killing in the game. Movement is great and will get better as teleport canceling is explored and implemented more. Really good airdodge as well. Definitely not a bad character, though the light weight + tall frame is obviously a glaring flaw. Trela has set the precedent for success already though. Hopefully we will see more good tournament placings for Mewtwo in the future.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Xanadu is on, and Poyo is going custom Kirby. How do people think Kirby does with customs on?
Upper Cutter is one of the better UpBs in the game, but while the move is "great" it's not "absurdly amazing holy crap" like some of the custom (or default) moves in this game, so it doesn't propel him into elder god tier. It has low-medium-high risk depending on how you use it, and low-medium-highish reward. It definitely makes his recovery go from "meh" (yes, default Kirby's recovery is bad, he's super easy to footstool, and final cutter is extremely slow and punishable) to "amazing" because Upper Cutter is simply too fast and disjointed to challenge, combined with the fact that it autosnaps, and he can choose when to use it. Other than that, it serves a similar function to ZSS Boost Kick, or Mii Brawler Helicopter Kick, but has even higher punishability on whiff (especially compared to Helicopter) and doesn't kill at absurdly low %, just reasonable %.

His other customs are all good/ok, but none of them seem to change his gameplan as drastically as Upper Cutter does, and thus don't really make him into an overwhelming character.

Esquire

Smash Cadet
NNID
DarkSlay
This post just bought up a question: is there any character that wants people to be below them most of the time? Most characters don't really have fast Dairs or moves that cover below options well and I'm not talking about Ganondorf wanting people to be below him off-stage, I'm talking about like being able to pressure even more heavily than Meta Knight with his Dair and more like Melee Fox's Dair to grab, or Melee Falco being able to pillar.
I may be stretching it here, but if you were to ask me, probably a character like Kirby is the closest to a character who you'd want characters below you for. Auto-cancelled aerials that lead into combo strings, a command grab with slow start-up time (a bit less so after the patch though), and multiple jumps. Aerial mobility isn't anything impressive, but Kirby can be pretty dangerous if he's a bit above opponents and no higher. Way more advantageous than in the ground, especially approaching.

Other than Kirby, might have to look at Yoshi with his monstrous DAir and mobility, or maybe some outside-of-the-box answers like characters who have safe NAir approaches.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I may be stretching it here, but if you were to ask me, probably a character like Kirby is the closest to a character who you'd want characters below you for. Auto-cancelled aerials that lead into combo strings, a command grab with slow start-up time (a bit less so after the patch though), and multiple jumps. Aerial mobility isn't anything impressive, but Kirby can be pretty dangerous if he's a bit above opponents and no higher. Way more advantageous than in the ground, especially approaching.
I actually wanted to say the same earlier, but I forgot. Being directly above opponents may not be Kirby's best gameplan, but it's definitely a "good" place to be, compared to just about any other character in the game. Landing with Dair leads to obvious combos, and Bair/Fair/Nair all come out faster (frame 10) and can lead into combos as well. Aside from that, he has the option to command grab to beat shields, and his multijumps lets him change the timing/bait out attacks.

There are problems though: His frame 18 Dair is outsped by literally every Upair in the game, with many of them coming out in about 1/3 of the time. Even if Kirby manages to start Dair before his opponent starts their Upair, trading usually won't happen, because Kirby's foot hitbox on all his aerials actually matches his hurtbox, unlike SOME kicking aerials (Diddy Kong Fair :puke:) so he'll just get outprioritized and lose the trade. Also, his Dair is unsafe on shield, as are his other aerials unless spaced amazingly, and if Kirby's above you, and you're afraid of him landing on you with an aerial and comboing you, literally all you have to do is roll or run away, because I'm pretty sure everyone in the game runs or rolls faster than he moves in the air, with possible exceptions for slow people like Ganondorf. If you're stuck near the ledge, then I guess you can't safely run/roll away, in which case your best bet is probably to sit in shield and wait.

tl;dr Kirby is possibly theoretically one of the strongest characters when above you, but even that has a ton of counterplay.

Speaking of outrunning Kirby when he's in the air above you, this weekend I confirmed that Yoshi's airspeed is roughly the same as Kirby's runspeed, so that's not fun!

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Welp, if Nintendo is going to continue with balance patches like they did in 1.0.6, they really need to focus on some of the dumber stuff before actually going for buffs/nerfs to see where characters stand in matchups. Specifically speaking, jab lock infinites and stuff like Thunder Wave infinites.

Like say for example Fox couldn't guarantee a kill from like 60% on some of the cast with a Frame 2 jab, how would the match-up play out?

Also really can't understand why anyone would ever condone such silly things like infinites.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Welp, if Nintendo is going to continue with balance patches like they did in 1.0.6, they really need to focus on some of the dumber stuff before actually going for buffs/nerfs to see where characters stand in matchups. Specifically speaking, jab lock infinites and stuff like Thunder Wave infinites.

Like say for example Fox couldn't guarantee a kill from like 60% on some of the cast with a Frame 2 jab, how would the match-up play out?

Also really can't understand why anyone would ever condone such silly things like infinites.
considering jab 1-2 is SO amazing and rapid jabs are so bad, they may have thought that having that the consequence of rapid jabs would make it so people didn't (or maybe couldn't) do 7 jab 1-2s in a row. Obviously that's not how it played out, but it seems like a pretty conscious design decision.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Serynder came through with the jigglypuff. He got a wall of pain on of the stocks and he rest canceled on delfino. (rest endlag canceled my going in water)
Xanadu has so much comedy right now. Poverty stream right now. Their using the player camera to use for the game loool the struggle. mvg's everywhere now in chat

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It really depends on your personal definition of what a matchup ratio represents. Some people believe that 3/7 means that out of 10 games between 2 similarly skilled high level players, on average one would win 3 games and the other 7 games. In this case, a 3/7 matchup is still winnable. As such, people with this definition of matchup ratios tend to give out more skewed matchup ratios.
A match-up ratio is what it is, a ratio. On a literal level, it's a percentage. A 30:70 match-up means the character should be winning the MU 30% of the time. Why is this? Because they have a heavy disadvantage.

I want to stay again that MUs are on a theoretical level, and therefore only accounts for the perfect scenario of highest skill level with perfect MU knowledge.

This is why people don't want to admit anything higher than 60:40 (I think Mario has plenty of 70:30's), because anything less than 50:50 makes their character look bad even though Johnny from next door beats Timmy from across the street.

BSP

Smash Legend
My suggestion (feel free to criticize harshly) is as follows:

0:100 - Loss is a necessary truth
10:90 - Unwinnable
20:80 - Virtually unwinnable
30:70 - Huge disadvantage
40:60 - Disadvantage
50:50 - Even
60:40 - Advantage
70:30 - Huge advantage
80:20 - Virtually unlosable
90:10 - Unlosable
100:0 - Victory is a necessary truth

Disclaimer: Everything here is based upon two equally skilled players playing at a high level.
I'm in the 30:70 means the X should win 3 out of 10 games group, which translates to a huge disadvantage. It's also where I would start calling that character unviable if said 30:70 is with a top/high tier character that will be consistently run into in bracket.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think the big reason why 30:70 seems to be the threshold is that, if you take it as winning every 30 matches out of 70, or 3 out of 7, that still leaves enough room for the stars to align in either a Best of 3 or a Best of 5. If your 3 matches happen to be the first 3, then that counts as a win. Once you get to 20:80/2:8, that idea starts to fade.

(I know that's not how ratios or statistics work, but it's a mindet thing).

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
A match-up ratio is what it is, a ratio. On a literal level, it's a percentage. A 30:70 match-up means the character should be winning the MU 30% of the time. Why is this? Because they have a heavy disadvantage.

I want to stay again that MUs are on a theoretical level, and therefore only accounts for the perfect scenario of highest skill level with perfect MU knowledge.

This is why people don't want to admit anything higher than 60:40 (I think Mario has plenty of 70:30's), because anything less than 50:50 makes their character look bad even though Johnny from next door beats Timmy from across the street.
Not everyone interprets matchup ratios in this way, even if that's the literal definition of a ratio. The other school of thought IIRC is for matchup ratios to be representative of the advantage one character holds over another. While these two ideas may be similar, I don't think they're exactly the same.

I'll use the 30:70 matchup as an example, since the 2 schools of thought usually diverge around this point. If I'm taking a matchup ratio as a literal ratio, then I have a 30% chance of winning a game against a similarly skilled player. This means I have a 21.6% chance of a winning a best of 3. While unlikely, this is still perfectly possible.

However, if I take 30:70 to mean "significant disadvantage," then my outlook about winning a best of 3 may be much more bleak. As @ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord put it, I would never win a set against a competent opponent. I'm going to assume that this means my chances of winning are much lower than 21.6%.

I think the matchup ratio format is a better representation of the "chance of winning" school of thought, while the other school of thought is better represented through a +/-4 system like the one the BBR used. However, many individuals do think of matchup ratios in that manner so it can't be neglected.

Of course, I could be totally off base with my arguments and not actually understand the general perception of matchup ratios. >.>

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Not everyone interprets matchup ratios in this way, even if that's the literal definition of a ratio. The other school of thought IIRC is for matchup ratios to be representative of the advantage one character holds over another. While these two ideas may be similar, I don't think they're exactly the same.

I'll use the 30:70 matchup as an example, since the 2 schools of thought usually diverge around this point. If I'm taking a matchup ratio as a literal ratio, then I have a 30% chance of winning a game against a similarly skilled player. This means I have a 21.6% chance of a winning a best of 3. While unlikely, this is still perfectly possible.

However, if I take 30:70 to mean "significant disadvantage," then my outlook about winning a best of 3 may be much more bleak. As @ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord put it, I would never win a set against a competent opponent. I'm going to assume that this means my chances of winning are much lower than 21.6%.

I think the matchup ratio format is a better representation of the "chance of winning" school of thought, while the other school of thought is better represented through a +/-4 system like the one the BBR used. However, many individuals do think of matchup ratios in that manner so it can't be neglected.

Of course, I could be totally off base with my arguments and not actually understand the general perception of matchup ratios. >.>
That's where that post from earlier comes in... when we use these ratios, are we talking about in a two stock game? Best of 3? Time? It all gets very complex. This is yet another reason I'm for the "words only" system. It's implications are clear in any situation. It seems that the way you and Emblem Lord look at it is symbolic of words anyways (rather than having anything to do with ratios). That's all good and well, but makes me wonder about the point of using ratios in the first place.

Kirby has a huge disadvantage against Yoshi is clear. Meta Knight versus Mac is virtually unwinnable is clear. I know the level of struggle that I will face when I play one character against another, regardless of the other circumstances.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I've thought a lot about how tier lists should be made and about how tier lists should be made from tier lists if you could make a good MU chart (impossible now but perhaps possible someday). This is going to be really long but I do think it's a thorough look at the whole concept and the best way we could proceed if we wanted to make a community MU chart. Here's my result:

We all know that's not how the ratios work. If we have two hypothetically equally skilled players (who don't exist), I don't think a ratio like 20-80 can exist in results. If one player has an advantage big enough to win 80% of the time, they will win 100% of the time. This is honestly probably true for even something like 30-70 as well. If we go super theory, the distribution of wins as the balance changes is probably along a bell curve that is very densely packed toward the center of the distribution (50-50) and at virtually all reasonable points outside of the 60-40 to 40-60 range approximates either 0-100 or 100-0 as appropriate. You could never simulate this with results; only the inspection of knowledgeable players can provide insight to the balance and even then it's an inexact science. We'll probably be able to put out something semi-rational after EVO; until then we're all still kinda spinning our wheels with some good ideas but also clearly incomplete pictures on a lot of fronts.

As per SRK, as far as I can tell their method for Street Fighter is to just treat the declarations of Japanese arcades as gospel and, since they have no idea how Japanese arcades make MU charts (does anyone?), there's no need to argue over where the numbers come from. It keeps it simple for them, but I'm pretty dubious of the results and even if I weren't don't think it's possible for us to emulate. We actually have to delve into this if we want to know things about how the game is balanced.

I think the numbers just confuse people; I prefer to use words to describe the situation and actively avoid meaningless numbers (even worse when you try to construct match-up charts averaging numbers from different people). I also think the way people usually use the numbers obfuscates a lot of granularity that should exist. I find there are the meaningful levels of advantage:

Hard Counter: The only way it's possible to win this match-up from the wrong side is with a large skill gap. Characters with any hard counters at all are almost never viable in the long term, but in a very poorly balanced game, they may be relevant since poorly balanced games will have a lot more of these than well balanced games. Many people like to academically try to argue the difference between nonsense like 2-8 vs 0-10, but once a match-up goes to the point of "impossible", the point of "how impossible" isn't really knowable so in reality those are all the same match-up.

Soft Counter: This character will realistically lose when our hypothetical perfectly balanced players compete, but since those players don't exist, this character can win games. It's a hard road but it can happen and will happen often enough that the character will work out if it has a small number of these. A large number of these is just damning though. I often seen this expressed as 6-4 but some people don't think 6-4 is as bad as this and use either 65-35 or 7-3 to mean this (part of why numbers are bad).

Disadvantage: This character has the harder end of the match-up to a great enough extent that we can perceive it, but even among players of very even skill, it's very realistic for either side to win. If we had perfect knowledge all match-ups that are not some form of a counter would be this way for one side, but we do not have perfect knowledge. I often see this expressed as 55-45; some people refuse to use 55-45 and use 6-4 to mean this but everyone has some level of numeric use that expresses this concept that they tend to use a ton on their personal MU charts.

Even: In theory no match-ups but dittos are even, but in reality, very close match-ups are often too close for our poor detection abilities to tell which side has the advantage. If we can't tell which side wins, we hand-wave it and call it even. You never know what will happen when these MUs are played though in a mature metagame we'll usually know enough to be able to figure out which side actually wins most MUs. At least here the number used is always consistent: 5-5.

This will also be non-linear with skill; we generally look to highly skilled players, but since the top crowd is such a tiny group (like you could easily argue Zero is on a level of his own, but if you accept that argument, 100% of match data is useless since Zero has yet to play against himself in tournament), we usually accept all forms of "good" as decent approximations since the variance in MUs between top players and generally good players is typically not all that high (though it does tend to have a few quirks...). Smash also makes it hard with stages that matter more than people tend to like to admit; if we were being honest with ourselves, we'd formulate independent MU charts for every stage, but that's an insane amount of work. I think if we wanted to do really good work we'd indicate what the median stage in a MU (out of an agreed upon stagelist) works out to in each MU with the implicit assumption that most non-median stages will have either the same result or shift you just one level and then separately indicate any stages that shift the MU by two or more levels to provide additional information for the handful of extremely stage polarized characters. You do have to be careful to consider that the median stage could be something like Delfino Plaza; just acting like it's Smashville all the time will significantly corrupt your results. Customs are also relevant in that the game is completely different with customs on or off, but if you just assume one or the other, they're not too tough since you can just assume optimum customs chosen by both sides. Since you're allowed to switch characters in-between games, we would naturally be looking at a single game.

If anyone is wondering how I'd make a non-numeric chart readable, I'd rely on mostly color and symbols. Yellow "=" for even, light green "a" for advantage or light red "d" for disadvantage, mid-green + for soft counter (winning side) and mid-red - for soft counter (losing side), dark green "$" for hard counter (winning side) and dark red "X" for hard counter (losing side). If you want a tier list, you don't do a straight average. It's a point based chart for your MUs:

Hard counter (winner): +3
Soft counter (winner): +2
Advantage: +1
Even: +0
Disadvantage: -1
Soft counter (loser): -7
Hard counter (loser): -1000

We could argue with precisely how much negative soft counter (loser) should be; -7 is an arbitrary value chosen based on intuition to be "a lot worse than the symmetric -2 but not so bad as to override the nature of the other MUs this character has". Hard counter (loser) can be any number that is so large that it dominates all other factors; -1000 is chosen merely for convenience but -100 would probably work if you wanted smaller numbers or -1000000000 if you wanted to be silly would have the same result. Note characters who are hard countered have a minor possible manual sort; if a character has hard counters but has the single best MU against any other character that character is put into a side tier we call "counterpick tier" that is not linearly related to the other tiers. If counterpick tier must be related linearly (like in an ordered list of character ranks), it will be above all of the non-viable tiers but below all of the otherwise viable ones (and we'll have to argue where that cut-off happens).

The biggest challenge is that MUs involving generally low tier characters are often poorly understood; there are likely zero relevant data points for the Mii Swordfighter vs Mr. Game & Watch match-up. A practical MU chart has to not assume perfect knowledge and include a purple "?" ranking that basically says "we have no idea on account of this MU not being competitively relevant". You'd treat it like an even MU mathematically, but it would be a big procedural help to be allowed to call super obscure match-ups between two low tiers unknown instead of having to make wild and often severely wrong guesses.

I don't think we can do this now; there's just so much we're still figuring out. I think if we want to make such a chart, right after EVO would be a good time to get to work. We'll have the significant data of summer majors as well as all of us having a few more critical months of exploration time.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Part of the problem we run into here is at what level do we call these hypothetical players? Everyone agrees "high level" but how high are we talking? This is important because if you go to the extreme and say ZeRo level, then any advantage or disadvatage is irrelevent because at his level there are so few mistakes being made that the disadvantaged side has nothing to capitalize on to even the score, so to speak.

However at lower levels of "high" play (say top15 percentile) there are enough sub-optimal decisions being made by both sides that even soft counters can be overcome, assuming one player still makes less mistakes.

And of course going further down the skill line makes even the most lopsided MUs seem winnable, and while we certainly dont care that far down, we still need to decide on where our arbitrary skill line is at, as it has those kinds of impications. Unless were all on the same page were going to keep arguing semantics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom