• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
But...alot of them are scrubs. They simply wish to be impressed. They don't care about high level. They just want to see flashy ****.

Sorry, but if thats what you want then smash 4 probably isn't the game you need to watching.

And to continue watching a game that doesn't appeal to you and then bash that game is immature. No one is making these people watch the game. But they do so and bash it or complain that its boring.

What the **** kind of sense does that make?
Well have of them doesn't even know what is going on in the first place. If its not a lot of random crap happening its just slow and boring.

As for another topic for peach. If you want to know what she does join Dark.pch's stream. You'll learn a lot by either watching or playing against him.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I loathed Brawl's idea of "neutral" sometimes, but I'll be damned if I thought it didn't take an ENORMOUS amount of patience and skill. Playing Smash 4 has given me a little more perspective on that.

Smooth Criminal
When I got upset with Brawl I stopped playing it. That was it.
Didn't have time to go on a tirade of "esports" because I was doing other **** with my life.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't think Dedede is actually that terrible against Diddy or Sheik simply because neither can really kill him and he can play the rage game. Diddy in particular actually has trouble killing with Uair simply because D3's stupidly fat and hard to kill off the top, and Diddies tend to stale out their Uairs against him. Neither matchup is good by any means, but 40:60 actually seems like a reasonable MU ratio for them. Mega Man, on the other hand... *shudder* Why'd Sakurai have to change Gordos so that they could be reflected by lemons? Dedede definitely wins a few matchups, though, like G&W, and he's not completely terrible, it's just that he has no real answer against a strong camp game. He is worse than most of the rest of the cast, though, and the worst heavyweight.
D3 has no answer to nanas because he can't realistically threaten Diddy from the air. Diddy doesn't really need to approach because nanas and peanuts outcamp gordo tossing. He can punish a lot of what D3 does with nanas then just go ham with grabs and aerials. The slightest advantage can transition into 30%+ combos on D3. Yeah Diddy has trouble killing him (although JC toss in stutter step fsmash is not to e underestimated) but the percent disparity should be so high that Diddy can afford to wait until 180% to kill him with uair. D3 also has trouble killing Diddy. What kill move is he realistically killing Diddy with below 120%?

I'd say it's 7:3 Diddy's way

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
When I got upset with Brawl I stopped playing it. That was it.
Didn't have time to go on a tirade of "esports" because I was doing other **** with my life.
I...wasn't being melodramatic, though. I pretty much did that when I realized that I didn't enjoy what top level Brawl was becoming.

@ NairWizard NairWizard

Sheik mauls D3 off-stage with Bouncing Fish as long as she sets up into it. That's not my biggest fear against her off-stage, though. It's more the fact that she's one of the few characters in the game that can force D3 to burn through his jumps by just swinging surgically with her aerial normals.

Quick points for Dre, our resident Diddy "god":

- D3 is not supposed to outcamp anyone with his Gordos. He's supposed to use them in a way to trap, mixup, or otherwise assist in pressing the advantage. Chucking them out of neutral is just asking to get them dunked.

- You're underestimating D3's ftilt. Like, criminally. It's meaty, has great range, destroys peanuts, can catch Flips...this move is good. To a lesser extent, his jabs, too---slower end they may be, again, they're disjointed and last a while. Diddy is kind of forced to hang back, throw his ****, and then slide in with his superior speed. Not denying that he doesn't have the tools to do this (banana, b-reversed Monkey Flip, SHUDDER) but it's far from being a braindead charge.

- Killing moves: Uair, d-smash, bair, fair (offstage)...all these moves fresh can kill Diddy sub 120.

I'm not going to spout off a ratio though, because while I personally know in theory what I can or can't do, and I know Diddy beats my character for sure, I'm not 100% proof positive on it.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I...wasn't being melodramatic, though. I pretty much did that when I realized that I didn't enjoy what top level Brawl was becoming.

@ NairWizard NairWizard

Sheik mauls D3 off-stage with Bouncing Fish as long as she sets up into it. That's not my biggest fear against her off-stage, though. It's more the fact that she's one of the few characters in the game that can force D3 to burn through his jumps by just swinging surgically with her aerial normals.

Smooth Criminal
You can angle needles and force Dedede to airdodge, too.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Respect you alot for your work with the character but until results in big tournys start to appear shes not moving from there.
That's a pretty bad stance to take. Results shouldn't be your main focus at all. If you look at peaches tools and analyze the character you'll see a great chatacter. Who probably is top ten. To be like herp derp i needz some results is silly. You should be able to form an opinion on a character without needing results. It's sad for you to write off characters because of results.

Pyr

Smash Lord
That's a pretty bad stance to take. Results shouldn't be your main focus at all. If you look at peaches tools and analyze the character you'll see a great chatacter. Who probably is top ten. To be like herp derp i needz some results is silly. You should be able to form an opinion on a character without needing results. It's sad for you to write off characters because of results.
Well, it's one thing to have an opinion on a character. It's another to have factual evidence for that opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Top 10 is a really good place to be for a character, and that only comes from experience with a character. Honestly, from training alone, all we can say is that Peach does a lot of damage to Sheik with her early combos, and nothing else.

We need more visible success from Peach on tournaments in-order for us to say that she is one of the 10 best characters in the ENTIRE GAME. Dark. Pch has been doing well currently, but if none of this transitions to anywhere else in the future then well yeah, she'll be mid tier and under-represented forever.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Quick points for Dre, our resident Diddy "god":

- D3 is not supposed to outcamp anyone with his Gordos. He's supposed to use them in a way to trap, mixup, or otherwise assist in pressing the advantage. Chucking them out of neutral is just asking to get them dunked.

- You're underestimating D3's ftilt. Like, criminally. It's meaty, has great range, destroys peanuts, can catch Flips...this move is good. To a lesser extent, his jabs, too---slower end they may be, again, they're disjointed and last a while. Diddy is kind of forced to hang back, throw his ****, and then slide in with his superior speed. Not denying that he doesn't have the tools to do this (banana, b-reversed Monkey Flip, SHUDDER) but it's far from being a braindead charge.

- Killing moves: Uair, d-smash, bair, fair (offstage)...all these moves fresh can kill Diddy sub 120.

I'm not going to spout off a ratio though, because while I personally know in theory what I can or can't do, and I know Diddy beats my character for sure, I'm not 100% proof positive on it.

Smooth Criminal
Why would I be the Diddy god when everyone here thinks I underrate him lol

Diddy has to respect his ftilt and jab, but mentioning that his ftilt can catch flips is pointless because Diddy never needs to sideb a grounded D3. He doesn't have to approach D3, so a lot of D3's jab and ftilt game is nullified. And yeah, you're right, Diddy can just sit back and throw his **** at D3, but that's what makes the MU so good for Diddy.

I think Diddy shuts down a lot of characters with nanas, but I don't think they're all 7:3 MUs. The reason why I think D3 is 7:3 is because it's lot easier against D3 than most characters because he doesn't have the mobility to easily punish Diddy's nana game. It's different if you're versing someone like Falcon. Even though nanas shut him down, you have to be extremely careful because he's mobile enough to punish nana pluck-z catch from the other side of the stage. D3 does particularly bad against nanas because he can't punish nana plucks from neutral and he doesn't have the ground speed to punish landings from short hopped projectiles.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well, it's one thing to have an opinion on a character. It's another to have factual evidence for that opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The only thing results are factual evidence for is which character has been more successful in tournaments. They're not factual evidence for which character is better. They don't give you factual evidence that higher success is due to the character being better or having better players.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Since people were questioning Dedede's viability I'd really like to ask, does anyone think there's a character that simply isn't viable at all? It seems that every time I doubt a character, some random player shows up and fully demonstrates what they can do, so currently, I won't write anyone off.
(For the sake of argument, let's define "non-viable" as "will never win a set at a national tourney", customs on)

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Since people were questioning Dedede's viability I'd really like to ask, does anyone think there's a character that simply isn't viable at all? It seems that every time I doubt a character, some random player shows up and fully demonstrates what they can do, so currently, I won't write anyone off.
(For the sake of argument, let's define "non-viable" as "will never win a set at a national tourney")
Most characters could still take sets at this point in time. When the meta is more developed and becomes more defensive that will probably change, because poor options are exposed more in defensive environments. This only applies to top level play though. Anything will remain viable at any level lower than that.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
The only thing results are factual evidence for is which character has been more successful in tournaments. They're not factual evidence for which character is better. They don't give you factual evidence that higher success is due to the character being better or having better players.
Wait, are you saying that a character's success in tournaments does not directly correlate to that character's overall strength in the roster and that those results don't mean that a character is, in general, better?

According to long-term results from tournaments across the globe for all the other Smash games, character strength has had a direct indication of tourny results. You know... Like for every other fighting game in existence.

To say that tournament results over time =/= character strength overall is outright silly.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
(For the sake of argument, let's define "non-viable" as "will never win a set at a national tourney", customs on)
Your definition of non viable is absurd and makes all characters viable. Winning a set a national tourney isn't a big deal. Everyone in pools aren't killers.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
its not that i have any problem analizing a characters strenghts i think peach has potential but its like the same thing with yoshi, if hes so great seriously where are the results? All that makes me feel is that the character has some weakness that hindering them that our theory craft and frame data is not noticing thats all. I'll simply be looking at her critically like every other character until results prove otherwise. I think alot of characters are great but until i actually see somthing in top 8 at a regional, I wont be moving them above high-mid tier.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
In that case, what would you define non-viable as?
I would say a character is non viable depending on their MU. If you have like 30-40 losing MU's you're not viable. I'm just throwing that number out there. But your character should be able to compete with the top characters or most used characters in tournaments. If they don't then they're not viable .

its not that i have any problem analizing a characters strenghts i think peach has potential but its like the same thing with yoshi, if hes so great seriously where are the results? All that makes me feel is that the character has some weakness that hindering them that our theory craft and frame data is not noticing thats all. I'll simply be looking at her critically like every other character until results prove otherwise. I think alot of characters are great but until i actually see somthing in top 8 at a regional, I wont be moving them above high-mid tier.
My response is you either wait for the results or you put up the results you seek from others. Peach has more than potential IMO . If you feel as though she's a strong character why do you need results? There's a lot of factors as to why there's been no results for peach. A lot of people have reasons for running a certain character.

You only get a small sense of what's going on at tournaments when you watch streams.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
My response is you either wait for the results or you put up the results you seek from others. Peach has more than potential IMO . If you feel as though she's a strong character why do you need results? There's a lot of factors as to why there's been no results for peach. A lot of people have reasons for running a certain character.
We all need different things to convince us friend. I don't know what "more than potential" is to you or what that even means. (Super potential?)

And yes there are loads of reasons as to why characters don't preduce results but as long as we don't know the reasons, one of them could always very well be weaknesses Bad MU's ect ect. And for me i have no qualms putting a character lower than they actually may end up being. If there good they will get there one day. Look at melee jiggs.

Pyr

Smash Lord

You only get a small sense of what's going on at tournaments when you watch streams.
If your argument is that, if someone thinks a character is strong, a character should be played regardless, then I agree with you there. But results are results, and results don't lie. Took Gimpyfish years to accept that Bowser wasn't a good character, despite him thinking Bowser was strong. The tourny results allow us to see who's strong at the current point of the game WITHOUT bias. Again, If your argument is that, if someone thinks a character is strong, a character should be played regardless,then the discussion ends there. If you are asking that data be ignored, then I must say you don't have a good reasoning for that.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Nonviable means not being good enough to win a national, period. The purpose of competition is to win at the highest level. It would be a huge win for balance if there were around 10 or so such characters in the game, which isn't outlandish with customs on. I'm pretty sure that at least Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, Rosalina, and Palutena qualify, and other characters like Pika, Brawler, Zero Suit, and Luigi are contenders for being viable as well.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
We all need different things to convince us friend. I don't know what "more than potential" is to you or what that even means. (Super potential?)

And yes there are loads of reasons as to why characters don't preduce results but as long as we don't know the reasons, one of them could always very well be weaknesses Bad MU's ect ect. And for me i have no qualms putting a character lower than they actually may end up being. If there good they will get there one day. Look at melee jiggs.
She has the tools that make her a threat. It's not like we're doing super theory craft with peach.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I stand by what I said you guys are being silly.
Well, I am daffy. :p

So, she has potential then.
Like everyone else? This early in the game, unless it's clearly apparent that a character outright sucks and when I mean sucks, I mean this character's fastest move is frame 20, highest damage is 7%, kills at 301%, and dies at 30% to Luigi's Down Taunt. I'm talking about a character worse than Brawl Ganondorf. That's bad and nobody in their right mind has made a character like that even as a joke. Hell even then, joke characters are sometimes dangerous, viable, or even godplayer. Dan's all right in Street Fighter, right? Yoshimitsu is by all intents, a wacky and fun character, Pichu's okay in the right hands, Jigglypuff was technically a joke character, but is a (dragon-slaying) beast now, and Wii Fit Trainer isn't horrible.

We shouldn't write off anyone as horrible. They all have potential for now, but how much potential depends. So, someone like Peach has a lot of potential while someone like Dr. Mario might not, especially without customs, but since customs are legalized, then Dr. Mario has a better fighting chance and we've seen the monster that is Kong Cyclone DK or customs Pally.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Well, I am daffy. :p

Like everyone else? This early in the game, unless it's clearly apparent that a character outright sucks and when I mean sucks, I mean this character's fastest move is frame 20, highest damage is 7%, kills at 301%, and dies at 30% to Luigi's Down Taunt. I'm talking about a character worse than Brawl Ganondorf. That's bad and nobody in their right mind has made a character like that even as a joke. Hell even then, joke characters are sometimes dangerous, viable, or even godplayer. Dan's all right in Street Fighter, right? Yoshimitsu is by all intents, a wacky and fun character, Pichu's okay in the right hands, Jigglypuff was technically a joke character, but is a (dragon-slaying) beast now, and Wii Fit Trainer isn't horrible.

We shouldn't write off anyone as horrible. They all have potential for now, but how much potential depends. So, someone like Peach has a lot of potential while someone like Dr. Mario might not, especially without customs, but since customs are legalized, then Dr. Mario has a better fighting chance and we've seen the monster that is Kong Cyclone DK or customs Pally.
Not to come off rude but why did you feel the need to tell me this? Did i say somthing within this and the last page that made u feel otherwise? Please point it out im trying to work on my cyntax.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
In that case, what would you define non-viable as?
Can't top 8 at a regional/major consistently.

Right now I definitely feel there are chars that fit the bill.

Well in customs off anyway. Customs on I think alot of chars have the juice to hit that criteria.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Can't top 8 at a regional/major consistently.

Right now I definitely feel there are chars that fit the bill.

Well in customs off anyway. Customs on I think alot of chars have the juice to hit that criteria.
Trully curious if you feel marth is a character with customs that has enough, juice.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Wait, are you saying that a character's success in tournaments does not directly correlate to that character's overall strength in the roster and that those results don't mean that a character is, in general, better?

According to long-term results from tournaments across the globe for all the other Smash games, character strength has had a direct indication of tourny results. You know... Like for every other fighting game in existence.

To say that tournament results over time =/= character strength overall is outright silly.
Characters who get repped by the better players are going to get better results than other ones close to them tier wise. If all the top players decided to main Sheik, she'd be considered the best character in the game. If Zero decides to main ZSS, she'd probably be considered top 3. Zero could take any mid-low tier and push them above other mid tiers that aren't repped by elite level players.

For characters with similar kits or play styles like Link vs Tink, the two Marios, Mega vs Pac, DK vs Zard, it's just a matter of who gets the better players.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yes. Yes I do feel the Hero-King has the juice with customs. I am now devoting 100% of my energy into custom Marth. I have no plans to go to EVO but NJ has embraced (well, re-embraced really) customs and there are a few tournies lined up with customs on.

I don't even care if I get last place. I'm just hype that I will be having actual fun with my main.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Yes. Yes I do feel the Hero-King has the juice with customs. I am now devoting 100% of my energy into custom Marth. I have no plans to go to EVO but NJ has embraced (well, re-embraced really) customs and there are a few tournies lined up with customs on.

I don't even care if I get last place. I'm just hype that I will be having actual fun with my main.
****ing brothers in arms right here. I cannot agree with this sentiment more!

Pyr

Smash Lord
Characters who get repped by the better players are going to get better results than other ones close to them tier wise. If all the top players decided to main Sheik, she'd be considered the best character in the game. If Zero decides to main ZSS, she'd probably be considered top 3. Zero could take any mid-low tier and push them above other mid tiers that aren't repped by elite level players.

For characters with similar kits or play styles like Link vs Tink, the two Marios, Mega vs Pac, DK vs Zard, it's just a matter of who gets the better players.
Except that's not how it works long term. And if Zero can take a low/mid tier and find tourny success with them, then they aren't actually low/mid, are they? Elite players are more likely to play the best characters available because winning is their top goal.

And no, it's really not. All having a good player repping a character does is develop the character's metagame. M2K loved Mewtwo, but he's still sitting in bottom. Sure, in the short term this can have effects. But, long term, everything will settle. Long term, if a character finds success, they are viable and deserve a higher placement regardless of player. This is because the skill gap at the top levels really isn't that huge.

It's data. You make it sound like it can be manipulated by top players. If those players find success against other top players with a character, that character wasn't bad and the perception of them being lower tier was wrong. Because of the plays of the tops, we have data to prove it. If your character is low and you think them high, and they aren't placing, you have to ask yourself 2 things: Are they not actually good? Why am I not the one placing for them?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Not to come off rude but why did you feel the need to tell me this? Did i say somthing within this and the last page that made u feel otherwise? Please point it out im trying to work on my cyntax.
Nah, I just like adding onto statements. It wasn't directed to you, but pretty much everyone. :p

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Not to bring up the whole 40:60 thing again, but the only community I've seen consider matchups like that to be imbalanced enough to the point of calling characters non-viable would be the Starcraft 2 community, where match rates are often somewhere between 55:45 to 45:55 and people still complain. Not saying people here are whining though (at least I'm pretty sure no one is, really).

I'm not a fighting game expert like some posters here, but I recall that Super Turbo is considered a pretty well-balanced game, with very few non-viable characters. Looking up a recent match-up chart (which is less consensus across all players and more a poll for high-level players of specific characters asking what they think their chances are), there are a ton of 3.5:6.5, 4.0:6.0, and only a couple of truly, truly abysmal matchups (according to some players, E.Honda and Fei-Long vs. Dee Jay are both a frightening 1.5:8.5).

Though there are some oddities (E.Honda has extreeeemely skewed matchups) If the Super Turbo community sees its balance as strong, and still has dedicated players of each character, then I think what we're seeing from Smash 4 so far is not so bad either.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
See here is the thing about ST.

Monstrous damage output.

Make a mistake in that game and you will DIE. So even skewed match-ups the top tier character can't sleep on a low tier. So risk vs reward is actually pretty close. Plus set-play exist more so in that game then in this one. (Smash still has alot of set-play though. Trump guards anyone?)

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Philosophy corner: If a character has only taken 2nd place in every tournament, is he/she/it unviable?

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Philosophy corner: If a character has only taken 2nd place in every tournament, is he/she/it unviable?
Unviable? Hell no, the results deny that entirely. The character is CLEARLY viable, but the problem is, the character definitely has issues that would prevent the character from being the best character, and that the character clearly isn't jank and shouldn't be "omg pls nerf" if anyone complains about how the character always makes it to winner finals. The only exception is if the character has something stupid like a permanent chain grab that invalidates the majority of the cast and the person always winning #1 is one of the few characters that can ignore it.

Last edited:

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
That depends on how your local tourneys distribute prize money.:smash:

Seriously though, if you can consistently place top 8 with your character, they are viable w/o a doubt.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well, that character is the first loser... Better luck next time, Melee Falco. :p

Viable, but not viable against the best character, I suppose. This is in direct contrast to a character taking last place or losing in every tournament. There's that idea of perhaps there's potential or not a good player to play them. So, say hypothetically, Pikachu lost every tournament despite evidence Pikachu is a good character. It's going to be an investigation as to why Pikachu is losing and if there is someone out there that can handle the yellow lightning.

It's already happening to Falco who, as far as I know, lost every major tournament despite being considered viable, but less viable in comparison to other characters. This also leads to the question of is Falco even good, viable, or is there something wrong or something the players should be or shouldn't be doing?

Captain Falcon is used a lot and people know he's good. Maybe not among the best, but he has what it takes to win, but he hasn't won a lot and there's a ton of players who lose with him, so it probably skews that too. It's like the class average is a C because while over 2/3's of the class placed near or slightly above C such as B-, the other 1/3 placed severely below C like F- i.e. not showing up for the test at all or cheating, getting caught, and failing the test.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom