• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
how the **** can you get excited by this peach lmao, lookin like dabuz sr even
I don't mind watching Dabuz either seeing as how he's one of the best Smash 4 players ATM and the only major Rosalina player :)

Plus his customs Rosa is entertaining as hell

Last edited:

ramskick

Smash Rookie
So what topic are we on peach or what attribute is most important for an attack I don't want to hear the latter because that's impossible to figure out because every attribute has something over another attribute.

I don't main peach but is there any high level players in tournaments using her floats a lot because I'm sure that's her strategy
I'd be down to talk about Peach. I'm not sure I see her as anywhere higher than mid tier due to having no awesome skill but I think she's solid all around and her floats make her one of the better edge guarders in the game.

Pyr

Smash Lord
I'd be down to talk about Peach. I'm not sure I see her as anywhere higher than mid tier due to having no awesome skill but I think she's solid all around and her floats make her one of the better edge guarders in the game.
I don't agree. I see her as better then mid. She has decent auto-cancels and good kill power. Her customs aren't too bad, either. Plus, if she ever gets a jab reset on you, you're taking a lot of damage/dying from it. And let's not forget the power turnips offer. Her biggest shortcomings are her weight and her shortish range.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'd say her combo /pressure game are her best points. She's definitely not midtier.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I'm not sure really where Ness goes now. He's not top 5, I think an argument could still be made for top 10/15. He doesn't have very many bad MUs - even in MUs where some characters beat out his neutral, he beats them out anyway in other areas usually
This is the key for Ness this time around- he has very few truly bad matchups. And even then, none of them are death sentences like half his matchups in Brawl. The problem I suppose is that the few that he does have (I'd say Sonic and Rosalina are bad, Diddy and Sheik are unfavorable. Maybe throw Mario in there as unfavorable, but I feel there are enough tradeoffs and things Ness can do that Mario's FLUDD/Cape don't push the matchup over the edge for him.) are the best, and in effect the most common, characters in the game.

In terms of customs, while I prefer the regular PKT as a juggling tool, Lucas' PKT custom is still a good move for gimping and completely negates most of the cast's ability to gimp him by hitting the head of PKT or suiciding into him to cut PKT2, because a) PKT doesn't go away unless absorbed/reflected b) PKT2 goes right through people so no more suicide>tech to stop him getting back. So at that point, Villager, Rosalina, Fox, and Falco (idk, maybe I'm missing somebody else) are the only real gimp threats, with Rosalina being the only really bad one. PK Flash is still terrible. I can see PK Fire Burst being helpful in matchups like DeDeDe who can just float out of regular PKF very easily or Zelda with Nayru's Love (I think that's what that's called?). Might as well use the pull-in PSI Magnet against characters who don't have anything Ness can absorb.

When you get down to it, PK Fire is honestly not a very good move. It's easily shielded, easily DId out of, and has terrible cooldown. It's not very safe and you'll likely end up grabbed/dash attacked if it doesn't hit. At high levels, it's basically only useful for a punish. Watch FOW and how rarely (if ever) he uses PK Fire (at least from what I've seen).

PK Thunder on the other hand, is fantastic. Makes offstage hell for most characters, or even if your just far enough from Ness that you can't punish him after it ends. I love it and would really miss it if I had to change to Lucas' to prevent gimping.

I think he's top 10, not top 5 (in direct contradiction of my title atm), though. I'd say: Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, Rosalina, and Pikachu are all definitely better than him. Then Zero Suit, Luigi, Fox, and Yoshi in the same relatively-fluid "A/A-" tier as him. He's (finally) a good character, no doubt.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Peach's range isn't nearly as bad as it looks, she has inane disjoints on a lot of her attacks, most notably Dash Attack (which also kills quite early if you keep it fresh). Her float is a crazy ability, too (incidentally, I'd be interested to see how a raccoon suit special smash metagame would look).

Quick question: a grab reset is where you throw someone then wait for them to act before reacting, right? I've heard the term thrown around recently and I am unsure what it means.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think people view defensive gameplay way too unfairly, especially when certain matchups require you to be defensive.

Yesterday on For Glory (yes, yes, I know, but this is setting up a greater point) I fought a Luigi as Mega Man. During the match, I kept my distance and repeatedly assaulted him with lemons, occasionally running in to get a grab, get a few hits, and then go back to neutral. After I did about 85% and he barely touched me, the player jumped off and committed suicide twice.

Though there's no real way to communicate with online opponents, I've seen sentiment on places like Reddit that spammers are a problem on FG, and the best solution is to just give up in matches against them and find "real opponents." What was I supposed to do, though? As Mega Man, it is my primary goal to keep Luigi from getting in, because down throw into chopchopchop is unpleasant. Mega Man's best bet is to zone all day long, shutting down ground approaches with lemons and using superior air speed to get away from aerial approaches.

Getting to Peach, a light character that can hit hard but is mostly known for a float that lets her weave away from danger, escape juggles, and punish, I think that criticizing the player for being defensive when Peach's opponents included 1) Luigi 2) Lucario 3) Diddy Kong 4) Sonic is kind of asking a bit much.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I think people view defensive gameplay way too unfairly, especially when certain matchups require you to be defensive.

Yesterday on For Glory (yes, yes, I know, but this is setting up a greater point) I fought a Luigi as Mega Man. During the match, I kept my distance and repeatedly assaulted him with lemons, occasionally running in to get a grab, get a few hits, and then go back to neutral. After I did about 85% and he barely touched me, the player jumped off and committed suicide twice.

Though there's no real way to communicate with online opponents, I've seen sentiment on places like Reddit that spammers are a problem on FG, and the best solution is to just give up in matches against them and find "real opponents." What was I supposed to do, though? As Mega Man, it is my primary goal to keep Luigi from getting in, because down throw into chopchopchop is unpleasant Mega Man's best bet is to zone all day long, shutting down ground approaches with lemons and using superior air speed to get away from aerial approaches.

Getting to Peach, a light character that can hit hard but is mostly known for a float that lets her weave away from danger, escape juggles, and punish, I think that criticizing the player for being defensive when Peach's opponents included 1) Luigi 2) Lucario 3) Diddy Kong 4) Sonic is kind of asking a bit much.
I know that feeling. I honestly enjoy defensive play when there is that dynamic of an aggressor vs a zoner or keepaway type of character. The only time it gets boring for me is when both players are camping, 1 of them is losing and refuses to adjust.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Quick question: a grab reset is where you throw someone then wait for them to act before reacting, right? I've heard the term thrown around recently and I am unsure what it means.
As far as I know, a grab reset is grabbing > throwing > hitting with another move > grabbing.

Ex, if someone DI's incorrectly, Sheik Dthrow > Fair > Regrab works.

Unless I have the term's meaning wrong.

ramskick

Smash Rookie
Okay I may have been wrong in assessing Peach as mid-tier. Can anybody show me some examples of strong Peach play?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wifi comes down to a battle of multi-input (i.e. dash, timing a jump, timing an aerial or dash timing a shield, getting the confirm then acting out a punish) counters losing to single input repetitions (A, A, Jump A holding backwards or back roll dash grabbing). It's worse in this regard than Brawl due to losing multi-input buffering.

This game is platformer-esque, just about everything is 'universally' beatable by just timing/smart movement. But when there are strategies which require half the amount of inputs to win (or less, lol) without any semblance of timing required (when you aren't getting punished for it, why would you need to?), I at least go "well it's not worth trying; you aren't respecting my character/the player at all because delay allows you not to" *dip*.
I always play G&W first though, nothing with more single inputs winning than UP SMASH (or full hop fair). If I really dislike you I'll just be dash, shield, side-b only & watch, win or lose, it's fun for me to gamble and make the opponent fear for their lives.

Moral of the story, don't expect people to want to play a game they have absolutely no control in. If they're scrubbing out then take the win at heart, or just respect that they dislike playing with this amount of delay (and so should yourself). I only get salty when they leave after a single Sheik combo (SO SO SO SO SO MANY PEOPLE) or if I hard-read punish something "spammy" X times in a row (e.g. Mario players and their roll into grab).

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Though there's no real way to communicate with online opponents, I've seen sentiment on places like Reddit that spammers are a problem on FG, and the best solution is to just give up in matches against them and find "real opponents." What was I supposed to do, though? As Mega Man, it is my primary goal to keep Luigi from getting in, because down throw into chopchopchop is unpleasant. Mega Man's best bet is to zone all day long, shutting down ground approaches with lemons and using superior air speed to get away from aerial approaches.
Falcon only, no camping, Final Destination. Anyone who dares to play a different character or playstyle is a cheap, unskilled, campy, spammy, cowardly scrub who refuses to play this game like a real man. (This is entirely sarcastic BTW)
On a more serious note...
Wifi comes down to a battle of multi-input (i.e. dash, timing a jump, timing an aerial or dash timing a shield, getting the confirm then acting out a punish) counters losing to single input repetitions (A, A, Jump A holding backwards or back roll dash grabbing). It's worse in this regard than Brawl due to losing multi-input buffering.
This is so annoying, especially the lack of multi-input buffering, which really needs to be patched into the game especially due to the nature of wifi. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing your perfect Fsmash read come out as a puny little jab just because of a lag spike.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Falcon only, no camping, Final Destination. Anyone who dares to play a different character or playstyle is a cheap, unskilled, campy, spammy, cowardly scrub who refuses to play this game like a real man. (This is entirely sarcastic BTW)
I guess considering the characters i use im screwed for finding a real match.

Last edited:

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
On a more serious note...

This is so annoying, especially the lack of multi-input buffering, which really needs to be patched into the game especially due to the nature of wifi. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing your perfect Fsmash read come out as a puny little jab just because of a lag spike.
Final destination, fox only, no items, 4 stock, 8 min

But reddit with that attitude of suicide if the opponent zones makes gamefaqs look like the hight of competitive play, if its someone spamming across the map with link, mega or samus with their furthest flying attacks I understand if they suicide I've fought links who used arrows most of the match and I lost I was using tink during those matches, a samus who only did rockets and charge shots, and mega who only used sticky bomb and razor blade

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I find high-level defensive play really fun to watch when it's projectile camping and then just punishing commitments. People say it's degenerative gameplay but it would be incredibly hard to maintain at a high level for a whole match. Characters like Tink, Pac, Mega etc. have to do much work for little reward and it all gets undone if they make one mistake.

I get camped often when I play (I don't just mean spammers, I mean people who will zone you with projectiles, punish your shield and then evade you with things like ledge cancels and air camping). Whilst it can be frustrating I never complain because I respect it's the optimal playstyle for that character.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
What people often don't realize is "defensive play" is heavily based on understanding fundamentals, and often leads to a dynamic set between two players whom understand this.

Seagull Joe vs Lloid (I think that's how you spell it) is a strong example of this. Both are what people would call "extremely defensive" players, but when they were pit against each other it was perhaps the most back 'n forth set of that tournament, because what judges who switches to defense and who switches to offensive depends on who has the percent lead. Similarly, whenever those two do not have the percent lead in any matchup, they both change tempo and go offensive to get it back.

This is basic fundamentals that spectators unfortunately do not have an appreciation for. It's even worse when players who don't understand this will continue to camp even when they're behind, and that leads to time-outs.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What people often don't realize is "defensive play" is heavily based on understanding fundamentals, and often leads to a dynamic set between two players whom understand this.

Seagull Joe vs Lloid (I think that's how you spell it) is a strong example of this. Both are what people would call "extremely defensive" players, but when they were pit against each other it was perhaps the most back 'n forth set of that tournament, because what judges who switches to defense and who switches to offensive depends on who has the percent lead. Similarly, whenever those two do not have the percent lead in any matchup, they both change tempo and go offensive to get it back.

This is basic fundamentals that spectators unfortunately do not have an appreciation for. It's even worse when players who don't understand this will continue to camp even when they're behind, and that leads to time-outs.
It's why players who get the homeruns in baseball, or the ones in soccer that score goals,
or touchdowns in american football get more of the attention; in the mind of a common spectator (ie one
who does not play or deeply understand the game), all that matters is who wins, and as far as they're
concerned, the ones who win the game are the ones that score points.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Seems like when people boo extended grappling in an MMA match. On some level you need a basic understanding of grappling to appreciate the subtleties that separate stalling from a battle for position. Meanwhile, everyone understands someone getting punched in the face.

Twin Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
I also prefer to see high-level defensive-based characters in action. It's always disheartening when I see people bash the characters that are meant to be played as such, or who simply excel at that style of gameplay.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I also prefer to see high-level defensive-based characters in action. It's always disheartening when I see people bash the characters that are meant to be played as such, or who simply excel at that style of gameplay.
There is no character thats specifically built to be defensive. Depending on situation and mu character are gunna have to crawl out from behind there wall.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
peach doesnt have "shortish" range wtf are you guys talking about

i get that float is her gimmick but do people even know that she has moves that arent fair/dair

I'd say her combo /pressure game are her best points. She's definitely not midtier.
tbh no main bias but at a 20xx level peach is top 10

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Warning Received
Seems like Kirby has been needed overall from brawl to sm4sh, but the new mechanics to this game slightly compensate IMO.
I mean, He is kinda like brawl, plain old average that beginners can learn, and even then he still has some potential.
I seriously think he is underrated slightly, and that if more people tried him,more would realize how effective he can be, I just wish I can go to local tournaments or SOMETHING,
there's like nothing here in Wisconsin :/
And I'm somewhat young and can't drive.

The best thing I do(FG perspective) is to mostly play somewhat aggressive, but still space your moves.

It's just torture to see all the smash rose videos with commentators, people playing each other, and a bunch of people having fun, while you can only play online, and it's not the same

peach doesnt have "shortish" range wtf are you guys talking about

i get that float is her gimmick but do people even know that she has moves that arent fair/dair

tbh no main bias but at a 20xx level peach is top 10
I agree, I d main Peach and it would be cool if people understand peach is still good on the ground.
Idk if she's top 10, but definitely close,
And who the heck thinks peach has shortish range???
The only things that are, are her jabs Bair and Grab

Last edited by a moderator:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I agree, I d main Peach and it would be cool if people understand peach is still good on the ground.
Idk if she's top 10, but definitely close,
And who the heck thinks peach has shortish range???
The only things that are, are her jabs Bair and Grab
It's not that her attacks are short range (in reality, she has medium-short range attacks aside from her specials), but her gimmick, her floating, is predictable, and can be punished (not easily, however).

However, her grab range is just awful, yet dash grab compensates for it.

And in other things, here's a list of characters (as far as I know and have tested) Ganondorf can true combo with D-Throw > D-Spec with his standard Down Special, if he's quick enough and with very low damage to start:

Ganondorf
Bowser
King Dedede
Charizard
Greninja
Fox
Falco
Link
Little Mac
Doctor Mario
Ike
Dark Pit
Shulk (any Monado Art)

It's either the characters who are big enough or fall fast enough. This might not be as effective as his Wizard's Dropkick, but still overall decent to use.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Peach's float isn't that predictable. Even Sonic's Spin Dash/Charge isn't predictable when used right. Check out @Dark.Pch's video on quick float release: https://youtu.be/OTYgTxnK8z0.
It may be just me, but I when I see Peach Float or Sonic use his Spin Dash/Charge, I always want to block until I get the opportunity to attack. It's become such a habit that I become good with the characters' OoS options against them.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Peach and Sonic have options to escape OoS punishes out of their approaches though. Peach's Dair segues right into Nair if its shielded and the shielder is complacent, and a perfectly spaced Fair can't be punished out of shield, save for very few moves like Robin's SH Levin Fair off the top of my head, and even then that's assuming Fair isn't being retreated. And Sonic can simply Spin Dash right through your shield, Spin Dash Jump behind, and go back to neutral from there.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Sonic can also just cancel his spin dash and grab you if you're sitting in shield. He has plenty of mix-ups to make you second-guess yourself. Peach is one of the few characters that actually has true blockstrings.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Float can be used in so many ways making her movement ambiguous whenever and where ever she wants. I am confused on why people think she has such a short range. Dtilt has great range and can be spaced easily, fair has nice range (slow but nice range, nair, ftilt is okay, then she can use floated nairs and bairs to move in and out with. Then of course turnips to help make them safe.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I also said that I think they both beat Diddy 1v1 because they can camp him and force him to approach.
I actually don't think camping Diddy is a strong strategy. You're just giving him time to take out a banana, and he's a very mobile character anyway. For a character like Sheik or Pika I would actually prefer to stay on him at all times and try to take advantage of his slightly weak offstage game.

This is the key for Ness this time around- he has very few truly bad matchups. And even then, none of them are death sentences like half his matchups in Brawl. The problem I suppose is that the few that he does have (I'd say Sonic and Rosalina are bad, Diddy and Sheik are unfavorable. Maybe throw Mario in there as unfavorable, but I feel there are enough tradeoffs and things Ness can do that Mario's FLUDD/Cape don't push the matchup over the edge for him.) are the best, and in effect the most common, characters in the game.
I feel that Yoshi vs Ness is also +1 Yoshi in customs off, probably even in customs on. You definitely want Lucas's PK Thunder vs Yoshi.

In terms of customs, while I prefer the regular PKT as a juggling tool, Lucas' PKT custom is still a good move for gimping and completely negates most of the cast's ability to gimp him by hitting the head of PKT or suiciding into him to cut PKT2, because a) PKT doesn't go away unless absorbed/reflected b) PKT2 goes right through people so no more suicide>tech to stop him getting back
It also means you can't clank the ball with an aerial, which is useful for juggling vs some characters.

A reset is a sequence of attacks that is not a true combo. At some point, the opponent has a chance to escape, but if they fail to do so they get stuck in a further sequence of attacks. This is generally more relevant to other fighting games that have damage scaling, as resetting the combo in this way also resets the scaling, and thus doing a reset may be much more damaging than an extended combo.

In Smash, a grab reset is likely just a situation where if you fail to escape, you get grabbed. Possibly originating from a grab, making it a pseudo-chaingrab.

Though there's no real way to communicate with online opponents, I've seen sentiment on places like Reddit that spammers are a problem on FG, and the best solution is to just give up in matches against them and find "real opponents." What was I supposed to do, though? As Mega Man, it is my primary goal to keep Luigi from getting in
Those people are scrubs, you can feel free to ignore their opinions. Zoning is and always has been an essential part of fighting games, and intelligent zoning requires no less skill than getting in and doing combos (in fact, in many games it actually requires much more). They're just whining because they're bad and can't figure out how to get in against competent zoners.

There is no character thats specifically built to be defensive. Depending on situation and mu character are gunna have to crawl out from behind there wall.
I would argue that both DHD and Villager are designed to zone as much as possible.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I actually don't think camping Diddy is a strong strategy. You're just giving him time to take out a banana, and he's a very mobile character anyway. For a character like Sheik or Pika I would actually prefer to stay on him at all times and try to take advantage of his slightly weak offstage game.

I feel that Yoshi vs Ness is also +1 Yoshi in customs off, probably even in customs on. You definitely want Lucas's PK Thunder vs Yoshi.

It also means you can't clank the ball with an aerial, which is useful for juggling vs some characters.

A reset is a sequence of attacks that is not a true combo. At some point, the opponent has a chance to escape, but if they fail to do so they get stuck in a further sequence of attacks. This is generally more relevant to other fighting games that have damage scaling, as resetting the combo in this way also resets the scaling, and thus doing a reset may be much more damaging than an extended combo.

In Smash, a grab reset is likely just a situation where if you fail to escape, you get grabbed. Possibly originating from a grab, making it a pseudo-chaingrab.

Those people are scrubs, you can feel free to ignore their opinions. Zoning is and always has been an essential part of fighting games, and intelligent zoning requires no less skill than getting in and doing combos (in fact, in many games it actually requires much more). They're just whining because they're bad and can't figure out how to get in against competent zoners.

I would argue that both DHD and Villager are designed to zone as much as possible.

Far as DHD, the zoning is really A means to set up his combos and cover his laggy normals. I feel he wasn't built for zoning, but a hybrid style.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Far as DHD, the zoning is really A means to set up his combos and cover his laggy normals. I feel he wasn't built for zoning, but a hybrid style.
I suppose you can argue that due to the way kill moves work in Smash, virtually every character has to come in and land an attack eventually since very few zoning moves can kill at any reasonable percentage. Bearing this in mind, I would consider a character a dedicated zoner if their plan in neutral is virtually always to try to create space and zone (whereas a hybrid character is a character who sometimes zones and sometimes goes in, depending on the situation).

Many zoning characters will want to try to land a kill move when in an advantaged state (ie, after their zoning moves hit), but in Smash it's really your neutral game that defines you as a character, not your advantaged or disadvantaged states.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Would just like to say that Llod's Peach, at least early on, got away with float stalling because of Kirby's poor air speed and THE CONSTANT NEED TO GO TO SMASHVILLE which helped Peach WAY more than it did her opponent.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)

I think the job of any commentator would be to allow spectators to understand and appreciate these aspects of the game. Some Starcraft casts frame the macro economic aspect of the game very well, or the slower aspects of the game. It's great, but it's definitely not as easy to do. I think Smash commentary really needs to not be focused on "waiting for the hype stuff to happen" and, instead, focused on appreciating the intricate things that players are doing in defensive scenarios.

They shouldn't be written off as boring and hype-less, as it's a fundamental part of Smash's fighting system and spectators DEFINITELY need to appreciate it, or else people will complain and not be entertained when a slower and more methodical set comes around.

We saw this at Apex - people complaining about very awesome, though defensive, sets just because they didn't appreciate defensive play, and it wasn't being commentated in a way that made it interesting to watch - you had to apply your own understanding of the game to find pleasure in those sets, and therefore only a limited audience could find pleasure and entertainment in watching them. Commentators should bring everyone up to speed if need be to properly tell the unfolding story of a set.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I don't like defensive gameplay, but it is a function/result of power discrepancies.

Look at Little Mac. He's super strong and fast on the ground, has super armor on all of his smashes, has a frame 1 jab that can kill, has amazing rolls and ground speed, and has an instant-death-punch above 30% that ignores shields. How do you fight that? Answer is that you don't. You have to play defensively, poking and trying to get a grab so that you can throw Mac into the air where you have a chance to win. If I run in and try to f-air Mac as Pikachu I'm going to get wrecked. So I'll definitely be defensive in this MU, spacing careful d-tilts, up-tilts, and pivot grabs. It will be boring, but if I want to win? That's what I have to do. Don't blame the player for using defensive tactics when those tactics are the best way to win in the matchup.

It doesn't mean that you have to enjoy watching it or playing it. I certainly don't--I hate fighting against Little Mac because it means that I can't be aggressive in neutral (well, unless I'm Sheik; that MU is fun).

Also, on a different but related note, yes, if I'm Luigi and I'm being accosted by a Megaman online who is just spacing A, then I'll likely quit out. Because there are no stakes on For Glory. It's not a tournament where I'm eliminated if I lose. Who cares about win record? I would rather have fun. If fun means not playing against Megaman as Luigi, then cool. Maybe I'll switch to Pikachu, or just find another opponent if I feel like using Luigi. Agree with @ Shaya Shaya on this one. To make the most of WiFi, sometimes you just have to drop out of games. Maybe the other guy isn't a good player. Maybe the other guy is too good, and you want someone of your own skill level.

There's nothing obligating you to finish games against strangers. Respect your opponent's strategy, concede the win, and bow out, if that's what works for you.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I think Smash commentary really needs to not be focused on "waiting for the hype stuff to happen" and, instead, focused on appreciating the intricate things that players are doing in defensive scenarios.
These things only matter if you actually give a damn about the game you play or the genre its in.
Half the people ******** are content with level 5 CPU's for a challenge, they just want the name of a person attached to it. Why would you care about the intricacies, when you're a passive observer and a uninterested participant.

That being said though For Glory is some bull****.
Delay out the whazoo on the majority of games, and while the minority still has delay they're at least serviceable.
Zone breaking can be ******** when the game won't respond to your inputs.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
There's nothing obligating you to finish games against strangers.
Nor is there anything obligating them to finish games against you. In order to make For Glory a decent experience for everyone, it's kind of the honour system that you should play each match to the best of your ability and not sandbag or DC. Worst case, it's only 5 minutes of your life until the next match.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
There's a reason why people leave after a mega man ditto on for glory.

I can't put my finger on it... But I'm sure there's a reason...

Edit: as a very defensive player myself, I know how frustrating and annoying it can be to play against me. In serious games, I thrive on it. But less serious games where it doesn't matter, who wants to deal with that frustration unless you want the experience? I usually give my friends the option of making me switch characters, because I'm willing to time them out during friendlies, and can. If you don't want to deal with it, don't. Doesn't mean it's not valid, but most people want to have fun playing the game, and they shouldn't be faulted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom