• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Heavies and hard hitters are legitimately hard and very scary for pikachu. I think this is just going to be a thing for pikachu. He might have harder MUs but early KO characters are by far his scariest.
I am so tired of Pika players complaining about how "scary" characters who get camped for free, juggled for free, and gimped for free are to deal with, especially when they can always just Up-B away if they do get hit. On the other hand, there was that one time I 0-deathed a (FG scrub) Pika player in 4 hits as Ganon...

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I am so tired of Pika players complaining about how "scary" characters who get camped for free, juggled for free, and gimped for free are to deal with, especially when they can always just Up-B away if they do get hit. On the other hand, there was that one time I 0-deathed a (FG scrub) Pika player in 4 hits as Ganon...
"I tried so hard, and got so far, and in the end it didnt even matter."

Thats pikachu's theme song vs early KOers and heavy hitters. Pikachu is pretty good at escaping combos and pressure so punishment isnt generally that bad against combo characters. Not so against powerhouses, sometimes it feels like you put in so much work only to get wafted or ganon backaired or little macs everything in the wrong place at the wrong time and die.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
"I tried so hard, and got so far, and in the end it didnt even matter."

Thats pikachu's theme song vs early KOers and heavy hitters. Pikachu is pretty good at escaping combos and pressure so punishment isnt generally that bad against combo characters. Not so against powerhouses, sometimes it feels like you put in so much work only to get wafted or ganon backaired or little macs everything in the wrong place at the wrong time and die.
Except Pika's still in control of the MU. Do you know what's scarier than being in control of the MU? Not being in control of the MU and wondering if you're ever going to stop getting zapped, juggled, and edgeguarded. Rat mains don't get to complain about "bad" MUs that are 65:35 in their favor.
Edit: Wow. 1,000 posts. And the 1,000th was me being salty about Pika players complaining about how tough they have it against heavies.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Ah yes the Grapplers dilemma. See against a grappler you have to play near perfectly or lose. As Pikachu you have to play arbitrarily close to perfect to do well.
Pika dominates the MU but if he messes up one (not unreasonable given his technical difficulty) but neing light really doesn't help against messing up against a heavy.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The music on this video is so perfect. Ganon really seems like he's working hard.

Megaman player is bad though. You're going to whiff a forward smash? Kay, I'll just get a metal blade instead of charging FSmash. You're offstage? I'm just going to ZDrop even though it hasn't hit once. Atrocious capitalization.

Should probably just skip that one and go straight to the Pika match, which is way better.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
How is Ike in this game? Is he strong enough to compete at high level?
ike can compete at a high level, but he's at a "just barely" level akin to brawl wolf/fox. once customs arrive, however, he's easily top of mid/bottom of high, if not better.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
How is Ike in this game? Is he strong enough to compete at high level?
Short answer yes.

Long answer, Ike may be the best sword fighter in the game. Beautiful AC aerials, long reach, massive kill power, heaviness a ridiculusly safe recovery in Aether.

This isn't even when you factor in customs where he gets an even Cyclone (i have no idea why its good) an even better recovery. a powerful zoning tool and a counter THAT PARALYZES.

Edit: I just did down throw to aether wave for 30% 0.0

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Short answer yes.

Long answer, Ike may be the best sword fighter in the game. Beautiful AC aerials, long reach, massive kill power, heaviness a ridiculusly safe recovery in Aether.

This isn't even when you factor in customs where he gets an even Cyclone (i have no idea why its good) an even better recovery. a powerful zoning tool and a counter THAT PARALYZES.

You want to know why Tempest is good? It's a massive windbox that can be charged to become even bigger that stalls him in the air. It's an amazing and safe edgeguarding tool.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
All of what you guys said plus most normal grabs' grabranges are so terrible that the range from tethers comes in handy as well.

And if they had as much cooldown as normal ones they'd be unbelievably broken..
how unbeliveably broken would it be? have you even seen the characters that get tethers? other than zzs all the others can definitly use a tool like it.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Kinda relevent is the fact that... as Tagsy was saying... One hit or two and you are dead... And its exactly what happened... The ganon won even though the Pikachu is probably the best showcase of pikachu power i've ever seen (and I've seen every Esam video)
Yeah that Pikachu was bananas. Honestly I feel like he massively outplayed the Ganon, he just had a bit of bad luck with his recoveries.

It also demonstrates that you really shouldn't gamble with skull bash near the edge. Just use double jump and air dodge if you don't want to die.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
How much of a problem is Ike's recovery? I've seen videos going around of people shield-grabbing Aether on the way up, and that seems like it could be crippling.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Yeah that Pikachu was bananas. Honestly I feel like he massively outplayed the Ganon, he just had a bit of bad luck with his recoveries.

It also demonstrates that you really shouldn't gamble with skull bash near the edge. Just use double jump and air dodge if you don't want to die.
Absolutely. As Ganon I'm licking my chops whenever I see a Pika charging Skull Bash offstage because even just trading with it is hugely favorable for Ganon and will likely end up killing Pika. It's much harder tracking down a Pika using QA as opposed to one that's locked into a predictable trajectory.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Absolutely. As Ganon I'm licking my chops whenever I see a Pika charging Skull Bash offstage because even just trading with it is hugely favorable for Ganon and will likely end up killing Pika. It's much harder tracking down a Pika using QA as opposed to one that's locked into a predictable trajectory.
Yeah, I think a lot of people in this game kind of just autopiloting their recoveries since right now most people aren't edgeguarding well. Then you get two boots in the face and lose the set and it should hopefully be a wakeup call.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Yeah, I think a lot of people in this game kind of just autopiloting their recoveries since right now most people aren't edgeguarding well. Then you get two boots in the face and lose the set and it should hopefully be a wakeup call.
well dat ganoncide at the end was the read of the century. xd

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I'm telling you guys right now, Ganondorf is quite the viable character, because he has some of the most powerful edge-guarding tools in the game, plus he can withstand a ton of damage with the right DI (no one should be surviving Marth or Diddy Kong at 200%+ damages), and can punish opponents severely with the rage effect.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't be so sure. Some characters are basically made by a single attack.
By some you mean none.

Also before you say "But you use Shulk you hypocrite!", you can't win by just simply activating an Art or using the neutral aerial, it's not that straight forward.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
By some you mean none.

Also before you say "But you use Shulk you hypocrite!", you can't win by just simply activating an Art or using the neutral aerial, it's not that straight forward.
Well I don't mean that a single attack is literally all you use, but rather than one attack is pretty much defines the way you play that character. For example, I would say Falco (in Melee and Brawl) is a character like this. Falco laser is such a powerful tool that it pretty much defines Falco as a character. If someone had a custom that was like Falco laser, it would completely change how they play.

One could also perhaps apply this to Yoshi with eggs. Sure, his neutrals are very solid, but eggs are what gives him the ability to control the pace of the match, and I feel this defines his playstyle. If he just had a generic bad projectile, you would have to play him totally differently.

Also, this is totally off topic, but if your name is going to be "Soul Blazer", I feel you at least need to use Strange Klug as your avatar. Regular Klug just doesn't blaze very much. Obviously it should be the Blazer though.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I mean, I think what he saying is that a single critical move can make or break a character, which is certainly true.

Pikachu without Quick Attack or Sonic without Spindash are not just worse, but crippled into being a completely different character.

That said, the only customs that really fit this description and change a character's core game plan and playstyle (imo) are Super Speed and Jumbo Hoops.

Edit: ninja'd

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
By some you mean none.

I think what he meant is not necessarily 1 attack but 1 combo out of 1 attack as well.
Lets say Diddy kong has a great game even without the Hoo-Haa.
Remove the downthrow to fair of Luigi though and I think he drop midtier at best...
Remove fair/bair of Jigglypuff and she's done...
Remove Pikachu Quick Attack and he drop 1-2 tiers
Remove Yoshi Eggs and he drop 1-2 tiers as well
Remove Sonic Spindash... he fall probably around bottom 15 :p

I think a lot of character are dependent on 1-2 moves or follow up that make them stand out from being good to super good...
Thats only a few exemples

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I'm telling you guys right now, Ganondorf is quite the viable character, because he has some of the most powerful edge-guarding tools in the game, plus he can withstand a ton of damage with the right DI (no one should be surviving Marth or Diddy Kong at 200%+ damages), and can punish opponents severely with the rage effect.
With customs yes, because he actually has the recovery tools to not get gimped by a good player before reaching those percents. Without them he dies fairly easily to the better gimp games out there.

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Even with that weight, his recovery sucks hard, so a lot of characters can edge guard him. At high percents, pretty much every character can camp him as well. He pretty much has an auto lose match up to some of the most common characters like Sheik Rosalina and ZSS. I don't see any Ganondorfs winning major tournaments any time soon

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Short answer yes.

Paralyzing counter is meh. It's slightly better than default in Ike's harder matchups, but other than that I hate it. Default Counter is a lot stronger for edgeguarding and punishing commitments to high damage attacks like Smashes. Now to be fair, several of Ike's harder matchups tend to be ones that do less than 9% a hit, which makes a combo from Paralyzing Counter a bit more rewarding. However in most of Ike's matchups, default Counter imo is more practical.

However, Tempest is silly on Ike because one of his main weaknesses is being unable to edgeguard very easily. Tempest especially combined with Aether Drive gives Ike a very SAFE way to edgeguard pretty deep.

I mean, I think what he saying is that a single critical move can make or break a character, which is certainly true.

Pikachu without Quick Attack or Sonic without Spindash are not just worse, but crippled into being a completely different character.

That said, the only customs that really fit this description and change a character's core game plan and playstyle (imo) are Super Speed and Jumbo Hoops.

Edit: ninja'd
Close Combat, Samus's missile customs, and Fast Pills/Fireballs imo are pretty close to that level of game changing.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Paralyzing counter is meh. It's slightly better than default in Ike's harder matchups, but other than that I hate it. Default Counter is a lot stronger for edgeguarding and punishing commitments to high damage attacks like Smashes. Now to be fair, several of Ike's harder matchups tend to be ones that do less than 9% a hit, which makes a combo from Paralyzing Counter a bit more rewarding. However in most of Ike's matchups, default Counter imo is more practical.
Well, no one is saying you have to use the same set of customs for every matchup. Remember, winner picks customs after loser picks character, so you can counterpick that way.

There's no question that there are a number of customs that basically just exist to deal with specific matchups rather than being a superior choice in all situations.

Close Combat, Samus's missile customs, and Fast Pills/Fireballs imo are pretty close to that level of game changing.
I think Upper Cutter might be too. It might even make Kirby viable (gasp!)

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I've seen this video before because somebody posted it in the Pikachu videos thread. I want to get people's take on Ganon. How amazing is he? Or not? Clearly he has the tools to win grossly disadvantaged match-ups, but perhaps he has a high learning curve or requires amazing reflexes?
Well, like I said, I feel Pikachu basically gave that match away by committing (unnecessarily) to skull bashes. If he had done QA or Air Dodge he should have made it back.

As people have always said, Ganon punishes your mistakes really, really hard. This video is just an example of how hard that can be.

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
A lot of people have been saying that customs arent that big of a deal except a few... I would love to have a list of game changing customs... Make a character a lot more viable or change his playstyle.

For now the list I have is:

Gamechanging
Upper cutter :4kirby:
Super Speed/Lightweight :4palutena:
Koopa Klaw (Wavedash) :4bowser:
Kong Cyclone :4dk:
Crescent Slash :4marth::4lucina:
Tempest/CloseCombat :4myfriends:
Counter Seed :4villager:
Jumbo Hoop :4wiifit:
Warlock Blade/Wizard's Dropkick :4ganondorf:

Noteworthy
Fastpills/Fireballs :4mario::4drmario:
Drifting Star Bits :rosalina:
QuickfireBow/PowerBow/Meteor Bomb/ Whirling Leap :4link:
Short-Fused Bomb :4tlink:
Slow Missile :4samus:

You guys have others to add to the list or disagree ?

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I've seen this video before because somebody posted it in the Pikachu videos thread. I want to get people's take on Ganon. How amazing is he? Or not? Clearly he has the tools to win grossly disadvantaged match-ups, but perhaps he has a high learning curve or requires amazing reflexes?
basically to be a good ganon you have to be really good at predictions.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Even with that weight, his recovery sucks hard, so a lot of characters can edge guard him. At high percents, pretty much every character can camp him as well. He pretty much has an auto lose match up to some of the most common characters like Sheik Rosalina and ZSS. I don't see any Ganondorfs winning major tournaments any time soon
My experience is contrary to that, since I've yet to actually lose to ZSS, Sheik or Rosalina with Ganondorf. He just needs to Perfect Shield and Spot Dodge, and he'll be the one on the upper hand before you know it.

He doesn't have much of a learning curve, people can pick him up and play him, but he does require good reflexes and timing. He's actually a really viable character, and his match ups aren't TOO disadvantaged; people are simply just sleeping on him once more. (Look at Japan's Ganondorf, for example.)

A lot of people have been saying that customs arent that big of a deal except a few... I would love to have a list of game changing customs... Make a character a lot more viable or change his playstyle.

Gamechanging
Upper cutter :Kirby:
Fastpills/Fireballs :DrMario: :Mario:
Super Speed/Lightweight :paluntena:
Koopa Klaw (Wavedash) :Bowser:
Kong Cyclone :donkeykong:
Crescent Slash :marth: :lucina:
Tempest/CloseCombat :ike:
Counter Seed :villager:
Jumbo Hoop :wiifittrainer:

Noteworthy
Drifting Star Bits :Rosalina:
Power Bow :link:
Short-Fused Bomb :toonlink:
Slow Missile :samus:

Don't forget the Meteor Bomb for Link as noteworthy, as well as Link's PK Thunder-killing Quickfire Bow. And as Game Changing, put in Ganondorf's Warlock Blade and Wizard's Dropkick, as well as Whirling Leap.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

Gamechanging
Upper cutter :4kirby:
Super Speed/Lightweight :4palutena:
Koopa Klaw (Wavedash) :4bowser:
Kong Cyclone :4dk:
Crescent Slash :4marth::4lucina:
Tempest/CloseCombat :4myfriends:
Counter Seed :4villager:
Jumbo Hoop :4wiifit:
Warlock Blade/Wizard's Dropkick :4ganondorf:

Noteworthy
Drifting Star Bits :rosalina:
QuickfireBow/PowerBow/Meteor Bomb :4link:
Short-Fused Bomb :4tlink:
Slow Missile :4samus:

im sure ganon has an oos option u b custom that not only has super armor but can kill as easy as zelda's elevator. Dark rise or somthing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You need a crapton of experience and character/player knowledge to play Ganon. Most characters have to in some way respect his options, but the catch is you have to be able to identify player patterns around this.

He's not amazing, but he's very well balanced imo. I would say at a low level, he's a very easy character to play in that his moves all have clear defined purposes that make up a coherent gameplan (one that is largely threat based). At a high level, even factoring that he does have clear limitations, I would argue he's one of the more difficult characters to really get down. You do need exceptionally good spacing and knowledge of footsies to play him at a high level, not unlike playing other sword users. And he can be very mentally taxing due to how heavily read based his best options can be. He can potentially end stocks in situations no other character can, but being able to calmly wait for and recognize those situations is a feat in itself.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I don't find Fast Fireball to be a game changer for Mario. While it does kill that massive recovery problem that default Fireball has, you lose the versatility as well. Fast Fireball only seems to be effective as a zoning tool, similar to Luigi's. I'd chalk it to just be different rather than better.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
How much of a problem is Ike's recovery? I've seen videos going around of people shield-grabbing Aether on the way up, and that seems like it could be crippling.
I can do that?

On the note of customs I with peach's other turnips didn't seem to cause an issue for her. Heavy veggie adds more start up and is harder to use in general. Then light veggie seems good because its slow but all the opponent has to do is catch it and throw it back allowing them to gain some coverage.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I don't find Fast Fireball to be a game changer for Mario. While it does kill that massive recovery problem that default Fireball has, you lose the versatility as well. Fast Fireball only seems to be effective as a zoning tool, similar to Luigi's. I'd chalk it to just be different rather than better.
if that giant fire ball custom had less lag i would opt for that move my self. just for the spacing options it so potentially had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom