• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriTails

Smash Lord
What is 'Hoo Hah'?

Diddy?
SSF2 Mario's Star Spin? (How Mario recovers in SSF2: HOO HAH! YAHOO! *Capes* *Jump Punch sound*)
SSB4 Mario's victory quotes?

Anyway, hoping Luigi does well. Though, the Top 10 might be Diddys and Sheiks all over the place.

Hopefully, Nintendo can spot some funny things in Diddy and patch him. Sheik too, those needles are one of the best projectiles in the game, and they can be spammed. Hopefully, they'll buff the low tier characters too! (Do it Nintendo... Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doc... Don't repeat the same mistake where the universal buffs on Shulk could've gone to Lucina...)

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
"Hoo hah" is a rubbish nickname for Diddy's down-throw ("Hooo!") and up-air ("Haa!") that apparently materialised ex nihilo over the past week.

Anyway, Nintendo has confirmed the February amiibo-for-3DS patch will have gameplay... "bugfixes".

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Lucina needs more buffs than the other two. Dark Pit is already ok and Doc gets buffed with Fast Capsule/Breezy Cape customs. Like ALL her MU's are worse than Marths.

I thought Hoo Ha! was a nod to MK kill combo. Since he says hoo during down throw then shouts haa when using shuttle loop.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
"Hoo hah" is a rubbish nickname for Diddy's down-throw ("Hooo!") and up-air ("Haa!") that apparently materialised ex nihilo over the past week.

Anyway, Nintendo has confirmed the February amiibo-for-3DS patch will have gameplay... "bugfixes".
Ooooo. What if he fixed the infinite for glory trick with pacman, by making it so that whenever someone jumps on the trampoline, they go into special fall...pac for top tier.

Anyway, all we need is a diddy uair nerf (and maybe fix the disjoint on his fair)
Makes our matchup even better

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese

They might be actual bugfixes tho. You never know, Sakurai is like Brawl Meta Knight's recovery: completely unpredictable.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I doubt we'll be getting balancing in that Amiibo patch, but oh well.

Might as well accept it if it were the case. But hey, I think small balance won't cut it. Lots of the cast still needs buffing (And Diddy, maybe Sheik?, needs nerfs). There is almost no reason playing Lucina over Marth, gameplay-wise save for PP and 'I don't want to tip my attacks'.

I think the next balance patch needs to... be an 'offcial' balance patch. Though, maybe it's just me.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I had a thought last night: Jigglypuff is to Mega Man what Sonic is to everyone else.

Sonic I don't feel is a problem for Mega Man, because Mega Man can prevent him from playing his typical game. Pellets and other projectiles stop approaches pretty handily when used intelligently, and so Sonic has to play Mega Man's game just as much as Mega Man has to play Sonic's.

Jigglypuff though, gives that sense of "what am I supposed to do." It can short hop over a single pellet and kick you before you have a chance to retreat. If you actually manage to land the pellets, often times Jigglypuff's hitboxes are so large and linger for so long that a single neutral air will eat all three pellets without stopping Jiggly's momentum. Mega Man's major kill moves that best take advantage of Jiggly's light weight both require reads and are easily punished by a character that can weave in and out so easily and then punish with a Rest.

At least Mega Man has a few saving graces, such as his heavy weight, and a decent back throw that's especially useful for KOs against a character like Jigglypuff. Bair can also challenge Jigglypuff in the air, but you can only really use it when Jigglypuff has committed to an attack and thus can't air dodge out of the way. It's not an impossible matchup, but just as Sonic can weasel out of situations and force you to play a guessing game where his reward is higher than yours against the majority of the cast, that's what Jigglypuff is for Mega Man.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
The venue took structural damage from the recent snowstorm apparently.

:(

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Geez, this is what happens when you snub the Ice Climbers. #thankssakurai

Seriously though I hope everything turns out okay over there.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
This is definitely what happens when your venue fails to report structural damage and lets you run the event anyways. Can you imagine if the area had actually collapsed or hurt any players during it?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
No this is what happens when you limit Mii's to 1111 movesets.
Mii Gunner drops the grenade launcher on the structure since he can't do it in the match.

Could of ended in tragedy.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Snake used his D-Smash in various parts of the hotel in a hostile response to Smash 4 not having him in it.

In all honesty best wishes to everyone at Apex I REALLY hope you guys can get this sorted out!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Untitled.png

At this point they'll more than likely have to relocate. With that many people though they may just have to cancel entirely. There's no way the authorities will allow that many people in the area if the hotel has that many screw-ups.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Ice Climber release date: January 30th, 1985.

Clearly planned 30 years ahead of time, roster cut and all.

Makes you wonder if Nintendo would have been looking at the results for this tournament to gauge potential balance adjustments though. Guess we'll never know now, at least until EVO.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Tweets state everything on Floor 1 is off-limits due to investigations. To note, everything was on Floor 1.

Last resort seems to be running the tournaments in the hotel rooms themselves.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
They're calling Prog up I think, they might run it in his apartment or something IDK.

I'm just going to say the foundation predicted the Diddy Kong vs. Sonic MU that was bound to happen and it just gave up.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
They're calling Prog up I think, they might run it in his apartment or something IDK.

I'm just going to say the foundation predicted the Diddy Kong vs. Sonic MU that was bound to happen and it just gave up.
Prog is currently making phone calls to see if they could bum rush to another venue.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I still think the character who deserves way more work and is just not getting it right now is Peach. That character oozes potential, but she's really hard to play and isn't immediately obvious as a top character (though she could be one really; she's good enough and our knowledge about her is imperfect enough that it's definitely feasible). That is discouraging exploration of her, but in the long run, quality will trump those kinds of concerns and I expect some dedicated Peach mains will "surprise" us all. This will, of course, not include me in any way; I couldn't play Peach well to save my life.
I'm inclined to agree. Her Light Veggie custom in particular looks to be quite good, they move slowly enough in the air that Peach can use them to cover her approach, and if they hit something (including on shield I think), they rebound and can be caught in midair again with an aerial. I'm sure someone more skilled than myself can figure out some good pressure strings from this.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
ah ****, will apex still go on or will we have to wait?
We'll have to see. VGBC will have an PSA in about two hours and they'll let us know what's going on.

The best case scenario is if the Fire Marshall deems the ballrooms safe enough to play under, but that's not going to likely happen.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
We'll have to see. VGBC will have an PSA in about two hours and they'll let us know what's going on.

The best case scenario is if the Fire Marshall deems the ballrooms safe enough to play under, but that's not going to likely happen.
can you type up the PSA in a pastebin for the folks that have school

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I likely won't be able to listen to it since I'll be at work. If I can catch it on my break I'll see what I can do.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
If you want news, just check here:

https://twitter.com/SmashCapps

I'm sure someone will tweet out the details when the announcement happens, and Capps is retweeting everything.

EDIT: Apex has a new venue. Tournament is still happening.

Last edited:

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
Disappointing, but understandable. Impressive stuff by Apex staff and the community to stay strong and find a new venue within a few hours.

Smashtastic956

Smash Rookie
R.O.B is a pretty awesome character. That Spinning Top thing is great for getting separation from fast fighters like Little Mac, Zero Suit etc. His laser can strike fast which makes foes get knocked back, preventing Fox/Falco players from spamming their blasters. When it comes to close combat, R.O.B. can hit hard and he can also reflect back projectiles with his B-side attack which is useful against projectile spammers. I don't spam the Laser nor the Spinning Top because he can handle himself well in close situations. As for recovery, the freaking robot can very hard to edge guard against. He can fly, which is superb.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
R.O.B is a pretty awesome character. That Spinning Top thing is great for getting separation from fast fighters like Little Mac, Zero Suit etc. His laser can strike fast which makes foes get knocked back, preventing Fox/Falco players from spamming their blasters. When it comes to close combat, R.O.B. can hit hard and he can also reflect back projectiles with his B-side attack which is useful against projectile spammers. I don't spam the Laser nor the Spinning Top because he can handle himself well in close situations. As for recovery, the freaking robot can very hard to edge guard against. He can fly, which is superb.
Nobody ever said ROB was bad but.... thanks?

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Haha people actually believed Tantalus when he said Smash 4 players had to use 3DS's instead

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Well. People flipped when 4 was announced before Melee for Evo. People sent death threats over Project M. With the Alex Strife stuff and the roof collapsing it's been a pretty rough couple of months for the community as a whole. So if that DID happen I actually wouldn't even bat an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom