• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Marth had his aerial mobility switched with Ike (actually it may be worse than Brawl Ike's this game).
Walking is worse in this than it was in brawl due to better mobility specs in general and the fact that his grounded options are all laggier than Brawl.
He has practically no auto cancels, and this means that he's generally looking at 40-60 frames of lag for using staple parts of his moveset that a character like sheik, diddy, ness, pika, mario, luigi [i.e. every good character I could go on verbatim] are at 20-25 and suffering 4 frame landing lag, while Marth is 20+ landing or waiting 40 frames for an auto cancel in that scenario and many other scenarios.

Good-ish dash speed, but less so than all the mobility high/top tiers. He still has the longest dash to shield length caste in the game from Brawl, so his 18 frame dash to shield in a game where mobility is faster and practically no one has anything that bad (10-14 frames mostly) [those short few frames make significant difference, don't even dare try to undermine this].

The numbers are as they are.
Marth could have auto cancels/brawl ending lag so he could actually have a safe move on shield (at top level, not even well spaced dtilt is safe due to the extra lag on it this game, you can 50/50 spot dodge a dash grab enemy punish if not perfect shielded).
Marth could have his mobility caste maintained and hence be stronger in the air in variation, even with the laggier aerials. When I play Ike I see how Marth could've been with his aerials... still laggy, but at least he wouldn't feel like a rock.
Marth's 'poor' numbers from previous games (dash length, ending lag, etc) weren't compensated when Marth's strong numbers were kinda neutered.

Sakurai/Bandai have chosen to curtail his "top caste" numbers into the average territory and it's why he's not a good/great character. It isn't a coincidence, it isn't our players being bad or not exploring him more (not to say he's capped or at the ceiling of his meta, but his weaknesses are as they are, stark contrasts to Melee/Brawl that were not compensated by anything else), his great moves from Brawl are now good moves and his bad/average moves in Brawl are the same or worse due to worse number specs associated with him.

inb4 "pessimism stance, stop being so negative". It's just the truth. All the numbers revealed are there to tell me this truth.
Now Shulk, Pit, Link. I remember your Toon Link talk.
My qualm is X in relation to Y and Z, when it comes to other characters who *can* play his spacing game whether it is their most dominant aspect or not (really Sword life).

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Marth had his aerial mobility switched with Ike (actually it may be worse than Brawl Ike's this game).
Walking is worse in this than it was in brawl due to better mobility specs in general and the fact that his grounded options are all laggier than Brawl.
He has practically no auto cancels, and this means that he's generally looking at 40-60 frames of lag for using staple parts of his moveset that a character like sheik, diddy, ness, pika, mario, luigi [i.e. every good character I could go on verbatim] are at 20-25 and suffering 4 frame landing lag, while Marth is 20+ landing or waiting 40 frames for an auto cancel in that scenario and many other scenarios.

Good-ish dash speed, but less so than all the mobility high/top tiers. He still has the longest dash to shield length caste in the game from Brawl, so his 18 frame dash to shield in a game where mobility is faster and practically no one has anything that bad (10-14 frames mostly) [those short few frames make significant difference, don't even dare try to undermine this].

Marth could have auto cancels/brawl ending lag so he could actually have a safe move on shield (at top level, not even well spaced dtilt is safe due to the extra lag on it this game, you can 50/50 spot dodge a dash grab enemy punish if not perfect shielded).
Marth could have his mobility caste maintained and hence be stronger in the air in variation, even with the laggier aerials. When I play Ike I see how Marth could've been with his aerials... still laggy, but at least he wouldn't feel like a rock.
Marth's 'poor' numbers from previous games (dash length, ending lag, etc) weren't compensated when Marth's strong numbers were kinda neutered.

Sakurai/Bandai have chosen to curtail his "top caste" numbers into the average territory and it's why he's not a good/great character. It isn't a coincidence, it isn't our players being bad or not exploring him more (not to say he's capped or at the ceiling of his meta, but his weaknesses are as they are, stark contrasts to Melee/Brawl that were not compensated by anything else), his great moves from Brawl are now good moves and his bad/average moves in Brawl are the same or worse due to worse number specs associated with him.

inb4 "pessimism stance, stop being so negative". It's just the truth. All the numbers revealed are there to tell me this truth.
I didn't know competitive brawl marth, but has Marth's trap game gotten better? With the nerf to air dodging into the ground and a stronger shield breaker/fsmash, the rewards on his traps have increased, at least.

You can ignore this post

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I didn't know competitive brawl marth, but has Marth's trap game gotten better? With the nerf to air dodging into the ground and a stronger shield breaker/fsmash, the rewards on his traps have increased, no?
I don't think you need to ask me that question, I feel I covered that implicitly enough ;)

Fsmash as a reward is buffed, but it's a punish tool against laggy options/anti-air hard reads. Shieldbreaker's usability has been buffed slightly due to its noticeably longer.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Marth could have auto cancels (aerials) and brawl ending lag (all of his ground moves) so he could actually have a safe move on shield (at top level, not even well spaced dtilt is safe due to the extra lag on it this game, you can 50/50 spot dodge a dash grab enemy punish if not perfect shielded).

Sakurai/Bandai have chosen to curtail his "top caste" numbers into the average territory and it's why he's not a good/great character. It isn't a coincidence, it isn't our players being bad or not exploring him more (not to say he's capped or at the ceiling of his meta, but his weaknesses are as they are, stark contrasts to Melee/Brawl that were not compensated by anything else), his great moves from Brawl are now good moves and his bad/average moves in Brawl are the same or worse due to worse number specs associated with him. The exceptions are Fsmash (nerfed in range, but the kill power is stupendous) and shield breaker (range and not nerfed frame data).

I still love him to death, but he isn't tournament viable by any stretch. The best thing about him in tournament sets is rage up throw killing most of the cast by around 130%.
While I see where you're coming from, I actually think the biggest problem I see with Marth (and Lucina, for that matter) is not having a strong DA to command respect in midrange, (frame nerfs to DB, while probably necessary, make this weakness actually a problem). Which is of course why Dash Assault is obviously amazingly useful as it's been pointed out before.

I don't really believe Marth or Lucina feel terrible in the air as long as you know how to space N-air, and pick your fullhop spacing opportunities well. The main thing I've found awkward about Marth is while he has good ground moves, just not having a good DA means outside of the range of those moves, you basically don't really have much you can do.

And honestly, this is still a big problem for someone like Mario (on top of having a crappy F-air), though his throw reward is decent, while Marth's is slightly below average until you reach pummel spam percents. Actually, considering Ike's massive throw reward, I might actually believe he's better than Marth just for that alone, though he also depends on customs to be amazing.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
While I see where you're coming from, I actually think the biggest problem I see with Marth (and Lucina, for that matter) is that they don't have a strong DA to command respect in midrange, (frame nerfs to DB, while probably necessary, make this weakness actually a problem). Which is of course why Dash Assault is obviously amazingly useful as it's been pointed out before.

I don't really believe Marth or Lucina feel terrible in the air as long as you know how to space N-air, and pick your fullhop spacing opportunities well. The main thing I've found awkward about Marth is while he has good ground moves, just not having a good DA means outside of the range of those moves, you basically don't really have much you can do.

And honestly, this is still a big problem for someone like Mario (on top of having a crappy F-air), though his throw reward is decent, while Marth's is slightly below average until you reach pummel spam percents. Actually, considering Ike's massive throw reward, I might actually believe he's better than Marth just for that alone, though he also depends on customs to be amazing.
We're forced to use dash attack too although it's an average move. Because other than fair we don't have any moves that actually hit close enough to the ground to hit grounded/flat opponents that miss techs. So when Marth fairs someone and they hit into the ground due to sakurai angle, not only does he have to wait about 40 frames first before he lands, lest he's waiting 60 frames, he only has dash attack as an option to follow it up close to the ground :(.

But yeah, spacing nair is my specialty, but no it isn't safe enough on shield. You cannot use it against grounded that are Fox height or shorter.

Ike has great aerial mobility, a 3 frame option (much better than marth's useless 5 frame jab, extremely high end lag 6 frame up tilt or dancing blade at 8), and a real grab game.

I think there's some match ups Marth still does better in due to some ground tools and more reactability with aerials (i.e. characters who throw **** through your huge moves reliably against Ike).

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think the Marth stuff is extremely overblown. Looking at his frame data it's still extremely impressive especially considering he still has a sword. I thinj an adjustment is going to have to be made but Marth will do work in the future. His gtound mobility missed with disjoints is glong to serve hom well. The only other sword characters with his type of speed on his moves are Lucina and MK.

The others don't come close and don't have the groubd speed to match them. It took Marth a long time to rise up in brawl I expect the same in this game.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I wanna come in here and share something that's gonna sound crazy silly but curious. Mii Swordfighter has some positive traits vs Diddy Kong. The slow chakram will beat out diddy's side b, his reflect can send thrown bananas back at him and make him trip and he has good gimping tools. I don't think he is like the instant counter for a Diddy or anything, but it's cool to think a character everyone is dismissing may have some traits against the one everyone is thinking about.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If you can find the time to finish either move. By the time the moves end (assuming Diddy gave you the moment to breathe), they could have already blocked/jumped/ran up to you and grab/punished.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
If you can find the time to finish either move. By the time the moves end (assuming Diddy gave you the moment to breathe), they could have already blocked/jumped/ran up to you and grab/punished.
I've yet to figure it out exactly yet, but using it from the air I have been able to land and instantly use a forward smash (the chakram). I think there may be some odd way to cancel out the end lag.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I wanna come in here and share something that's gonna sound crazy silly but curious. Mii Swordfighter has some positive traits vs Diddy Kong. The slow chakram will beat out diddy's side b, his reflect can send thrown bananas back at him and make him trip and he has good gimping tools. I don't think he is like the instant counter for a Diddy or anything, but it's cool to think a character everyone is dismissing may have some traits against the one everyone is thinking about.
This is a more theoretical MU than my other MU discussion but its been bugging me lately so I'll post it here hoping for some discussion:
:4diddy:Might just be an even matchup for us as surprising as it may be. While Diddy has his grabs and bananas, we have our disjoints and reflector to force him to approach and when he has to approach we can set him up for the offstage and thus set him up for the almighty D-air gimp. This is a battle of who gets momentum first and hold on to it as long as possible. I would definitely pick Short/Thin for this MU as the increased mobility allows us to better set-up gimps which is what we need most.
I actually posted this in the Swordfighter Forum. I might post some of the things here as a follow up to the Matchup Thread.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think the Marth stuff is extremely overblown. Looking at his frame data it's still extremely impressive especially considering he still has a sword. I thinj an adjustment is going to have to be made but Marth will do work in the future. His gtound mobility missed with disjoints is glong to serve hom well. The only other sword characters with his type of speed on his moves are Lucina and MK.

The others don't come close and don't have the groubd speed to match them. It took Marth a long time to rise up in brawl I expect the same in this game.

Are you insane? Marth started off as around 4th on the very first list and I predicted he wouldnt go below 8th place and I'm pretty sure he never did. This is despite MANY haters and naysayers trying to say he was not high tier. But his match-ups and tourney showings were too strong.

He was nerfed for a reason. A GOOD reason. The meta flourishes with him in mid tier BUT to say he took awhile to get going in brawl is false. Marth hit the ground running in Brawl and pretty much never lost a step.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Looking at his frame data it's still extremely impressive especially considering he still has a sword.
Startup-wise mostly (nothing below frame 5, according to... Shaya I believe), but we don't have real frame data on autocancels and the like, and from what I've played of him (and heard from others) his aren't good.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
His start-up frames are good, but his recovery is poor.

Do you people realize some of his moves got as much as 10 more frames of recovery or more?

The dev teams intention is crystal clear when it comes to the hero-king.

Also you can't be viable when you lost to more then 4 popular top tier characters.

Marth loses to 8.

I await your rebuttals my brethren.

Also Shaya is wrong about d-tilt. It's safe on block cept vs tether grabs. No one gets a free punish other then tether grabbers and not all tethers get the grab.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
There isn't much start-up. Its When you Hit on shield and they get an F-smash back on ya . Or down-air taking 6 years to end in air and on the ground.
If you Fastfall your aerials you suddenly are Smash bait. With the qualm that if you don't you linger in the air for a considerable amount of time.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
His start-up frames are good, but his recovery is poor.

Do you people realize some of his moves got as much as 10 more frames of recovery or more?

The dev teams intention is crystal clear when it comes to the hero-king.

Also you can't be viable when you lost to more then 4 popular top tier characters.

Marth loses to 8.

I await your rebuttals my brethren.

Also Shaya is wrong about d-tilt. It's safe on block cept vs tether grabs. No one gets a free punish other then tether grabbers and not all tethers get the grab.
Unlike in Brawl I felt I had a frame trap type advantage, but here I am forced to take defensive measures after hitting shields with it majority of the time (maybe dolphin slash due to invincibility from frame 4) against any character with competitive range. You really cannot react to the response to it as well as one could in Brawl.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You can react to aggressive responses. Not defensive back rolls. But i personally have no issue reacting in tourney to people rolling towards me or shield dropping and trying to attack me. Back roll is the only thing I have to predict.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
In theory, can Marth keep up with any of the perceived top tier/popular tournament picks, other than Mario and maybe Luigi?

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
In theory, can Marth keep up with any of the perceived top tier/popular tournament picks, other than Mario and maybe Luigi?
He can definitely go up to Wario he has very tiny limbs that are even shorter than half a Falchion

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Top ten should be synonymous with popular tourney picks and if its not then wow the competitive community got alot of growing to do.

But again, no he does not beat any of the strong tourney characters.

So how is he viable? Why would you pick him. I know why I pick him. And it has nothing to do with winning. If I wanted to win tournies I would play Sheik. I certainly have enough raw skill and plenty of training partners.

Unless you have a personal goal or love of the character, it's pointless.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You dont have to win match ups to be viable, you just have to not get bodied.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
Top ten should be synonymous with popular tourney picks and if its not then wow the competitive community got alot of growing to do.
Mario and recently Luigi are both quite popular tournament picks with decent results. That's factual. If they are top 10 or not is totally debatable. Pikachu is still lacking representation but I bet every high level player agrees he has the potential to be a solid top 10 or even top 5 character. While characters that have a meaningful power gap above the others obviously tends to be the most popular in a competitive environment, it's not an exact rule.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Are you insane? Marth started off as around 4th on the very first list and I predicted he wouldnt go below 8th place and I'm pretty sure he never did. This is despite MANY haters and naysayers trying to say he was not high tier. But his match-ups and tourney showings were too strong.

He was nerfed for a reason. A GOOD reason. The meta flourishes with him in mid tier BUT to say he took awhile to get going in brawl is false. Marth hit the ground running in Brawl and pretty much never lost a step.
I'm almost certain there where tierist without Marth top 10. Before Snake waz considered even. Marth had losing MU'S to two of the most played characters. Marth wsd invalidated by MK.

I'll point ykur argument about Marth's mu and ask the same for shulk. I don't see how shulk is considered top 10...whk does he beat,

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The metagame is far too young to start calling out a definitive top ten.

Yes, there are characters who are noticeably stronger than others, but we have yet to fully explore this game, and characters have yet to be fully defined and rightfully represented. It'd be a colossal mistake to settle on a top ten now.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ignore this if you guys still want to talk about Marth, but how's R.O.B. doing?

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Man Luigi's crouch/crawl is a legitimate projectile counter. At least some of them, definitely Fox's lasers. Seems like he can act out of it fast too. If you leave him idle he looks around and can get hit in the hat though.

I've only seen great things from Sm4sh ROB.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The metagame is far too young to start calling out a definitive top ten.

Yes, there are characters who are noticeably stronger than others, but we have yet to fully explore this game, and characters have yet to be fully defined and rightfully represented. It'd be a colossal mistake to settle on a top ten now.
No one said definitive nor stipulated things wouldn't change. I feel the need to call out posts like these because they (to me at least) are superfluous. Tournament picks vs 'theory list' right now are kinda congruent. We know Sheik, Diddy, Rosalina, Olimar, Ness, Luigi, Fox, Falcon and Sonic do well consistently (multiple people over periods of time still) in NA/Western tournaments, people/Japan have ZSS (obviously) and Yoshi inclinations as well, Ally on Mario but many respect Mario's capabilities (he's seen a bit but not really star-front on streams like Luigi is at least) and Pikachu with ESAM winning everything he goes to locally + other pikachus starting to crop up (plus metric ton of 'top players' thinking top 3).

I brought him up recently in passing, but he's obviously a solid character. Kill throws, dthrow uair combos, solid projectiles that cover many things. But at the same time he's somewhat slow mobility wise, large frame making him easy to hit and poke and he doesn't have the CQC to keep up with top threats (he isn't the worst equipped though). I don't think he's a bottom-half character, but not a high tier (in my current perception of high tier).

I would see the Diddy match up being his saving grace, seems pretty competitive against him at mid-range+. Sheik I feel will pan out much like the MK match up did in Brawl (edge guarded hard + poked/camped to death). Beyond that I see him being okay against several good characters in the long run.

'SHEIK DA BESS' Rant of the Day

I feel people really underestimate sheik's capabilities to edge guard in Smash 4 at a similar or maybe even better capability than Brawl MK. Although edge trumps aren't a guaranteed thing (buffering options seem to ensure it doesn't happen), from what I've seen Sheik is the only character who gets the guaranteed back air from it without any need to jump/fast fall, and beyond that horizontal shuttle loop that can be repeated if it 'bounces' off of something, but it also naturally turns you around so you can use back air to punish the air dodge/drift in still, b-reversing bouncing fish if you wish to use it again aggressively. She seems to be the best gimper/edge guarder in the game, stuff like pikachu with thunder jolts, thunder, nair and bair are great too, but I think Sheik has it easier/faster/stronger, albeit not with a projectile (not that needle is bad, but I haven't seen it in use like that yet; it's probably too slow).

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I would also like to know about R.O.B. I think he's all around solid. Not fantastic, but solid. Great projectiles, killing U throw, D throw to u air [u air kills at around 80% on Falcon near the top on the last hit I think...] recovery is decent, not amazing though, not much of a killer though sans u air, u throw at high %, and bair is alright. Tilts are super fast, dash comboes into itself, and his side B was buffed quite a bit [but still not great]. Gets comboed hard though and prone to gimps. Also struggles to kill at times, but not as bad as others. I think he's upper Mid about.

I actually replaced Game and Watch with R.O.B because Game and Watch really doesn't cut it here sadly [Top of the low tier I think]. Losing his kill power and bucket braking was horrible. Everything else is better though! Also if you bucket 3 aura balls from a high % Lucario you an instantly kill him at 0% from a D throw which is worth noting. You probably won't last that long against a smart Lucario with high % though...

At least Game and Watch is better than his Melee incarnation here.

Man Luigi's crouch/crawl is a legitimate projectile counter. At least some of them, definitely Fox's lasers. Seems like he can act out of it fast too. If you leave him idle he looks around and can get hit in the hat though..
Worth noting that Luigi can crawl under all ZSS lasers except a full charged one.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I brought him up recently in passing, but he's obviously a solid character. Kill throws, dthrow uair combos, solid projectiles that cover many things. But at the same time he's somewhat slow mobility wise, large frame making him easy to hit and poke and he doesn't have the CQC to keep up with top threats (he isn't the worst equipped though). I don't think he's a bottom-half character, but not a high tier (in my current perception of high tier).

I would see the Diddy match up being his saving grace, seems pretty competitive against him at mid-range+. Sheik I feel will pan out much like the MK match up did in Brawl (edge guarded hard + poked/camped to death). Beyond that I see him being okay against several good characters in the long run.
Yeah, I was watching it when I posted that, but I didn't want to come off as, "Oh! Duh... R.o...b beat Diddie, that means he high tier". It was a really interesting match since the thumbnail showed Olimar vs. R.O.B., so that was a "Yes" since it's not another ZZS, Luigi, Rosalina, Sheik, etc. match. R.O.B. seems like he has a lot of solid options which allows him to stand well against Diddy, but that said, it might have been another MU unfamiliarity so, hopefully, it doesn't become another "SNAKE BEATS META KNIGHT!" thing. Gyro is like "another" Banana Peel which forces people to approach, but instead of tripping, it deals damage and can cover ground by itself. It's like playing fire with fire.

For those that missed it or want to reference it again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3bkRxDvVLo.

Anyway, that's great and all, but with the videos being posting, I'm wondering about Olimar who people might be playing like he's Brawl Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer who TKbreezy has been representing, and R.O.B. who had a successful match against Diddy the "king", the "OP", and the "cheap" fighter.

Here's the WFT and Dr. Mario match against Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgXyWGA13kY.

Optional: Falco comments rant.
Also, when ROB - freaking periods are annoying - won, people probably are doing the whole "Snake beats MK" thing again... That or it's Youtube comments being Youtube comments. When Keitaro's Falco beat Crescent Monkey's Captain Falcon, people ragged on Falco still being trash and that Crescent Monkey was just a bad, terribad, Captain Falcon. I love this mentality... Falco can't catch a break can he? Granted, Keitaro's a good player, but I never seen Crescent Monkey, so I'm going to assume he's new or nervous and end it with that.

All the characters I see, Falco gets the worse comments compared to everyone else. Zelda wins, "Oh, she's all right 'cause it's Zelda", MK wins, "Oh, he's all right and not OP anymore", WFT loses, "Oh, her hit boxes are weird, so it takes skill to use her", Marth wins, "Yay! Marth!", Lucina wins, "WAIFU!!!", and Falco wins or loses, "****, Sakurai! Falco's such a piece of ****, ********** this game, ********** hate this ********, stupid ******** nerfs". Well, whatever I guess.

Edit: Forgot to spoiler rant.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: Incorrect spoiler placement.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
ROB is decent. At first I had trouble adjusting to his gameplan without FTilt to space but I'm getting used to it. A few of his moves got significant buffs. USmash now has a grounded hit to pop opponents up, FSmash has massive range (it's one of the best pivot FSmashes in the game IMO), UAir has more power, BAir and DAir have much more range (although BAir no longet hits from the front which sucks), and Arm Rotor isn't quite as punishable. His bread-and-butter normals are fairly fast which lets him apply decent pressure once he gets in. His awkward frame still lets him get comboed pretty hard and he's pretty easy to gimp since his recovery has less fuel. His issues aside from his frame are mainly poor range on his fast attacks and poor speed on his ranged attacks, ask he has to use his projectiles to get in. IMO a decent mid tier but with clear problems that will always hold him back.
l
I actually replaced Game and Watch with R.O.B because Game and Watch really doesn't cut it here sadly [Top of the low tier I think]. Losing his kill power and bucket braking was horrible. Everything else is better though! Also if you bucket 3 aura balls from a high % Lucario you an instantly kill him at 0% from a D throw which is worth noting. You probably won't last that long against a smart Lucario with high % though...

At least Game and Watch is better than his Melee incarnation here.
Eh, Game & Watch outranges and out-maneuvers Lucario pretty significantly. His light weight means he has to play carefully against a high percent Lucario but Lucario can't throw out Aura Spheres or Force Palms carelessly, either.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this here before, but Game & Watch feels more complete as a character this time to me, mainly because he has more good ground options this time around. In Brawl he really only had DTilt, smashes, and DThrow (I'd argue dash attack as well but I don't think it really caught on). Smash 4 made jab and FTilt much more effective options and dash attack got buffed, too. His UTilt and three of his throws are still pretty much useless, though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
'SHEIK DA BESS' Rant of the Day

I feel people really underestimate sheik's capabilities to edge guard in Smash 4 at a similar or maybe even better capability than Brawl MK. Although edge trumps aren't a guaranteed thing (buffering options seem to ensure it doesn't happen), from what I've seen Sheik is the only character who gets the guaranteed back air from it without any need to jump/fast fall, and beyond that horizontal shuttle loop that can be repeated if it 'bounces' off of something, but it also naturally turns you around so you can use back air to punish the air dodge/drift in still, b-reversing bouncing fish if you wish to use it again aggressively. She seems to be the best gimper/edge guarder in the game, stuff like pikachu with thunder jolts, thunder, nair and bair are great too, but I think Sheik has it easier/faster/stronger, albeit not with a projectile (not that needle is bad, but I haven't seen it in use like that yet; it's probably too slow).
Big deal. Like really. I can't see what makes her so terrifying with edgeguarding with that.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
No one said definitive nor stipulated things wouldn't change. I feel the need to call out posts like these because they (to me at least) are superfluous. Tournament picks vs 'theory list' right now are kinda congruent. We know Sheik, Diddy, Rosalina, Olimar, Ness, Luigi, Fox, Falcon and Sonic do well consistently (multiple people over periods of time still) in NA/Western tournaments, people/Japan have ZSS (obviously) and Yoshi inclinations as well, Ally on Mario but many respect Mario's capabilities (he's seen a bit but not really star-front on streams like Luigi is at least) and Pikachu with ESAM winning everything he goes to locally + other pikachus starting to crop up (plus metric ton of 'top players' thinking top 3).
You probably misunderstood the intention behind what I've said. I've never said making lists were bad.

The point of my post is in reply to Emblem Lord to say at this current point, there is no reason to say any character can't compete competitively, except maybe Lil'Mac who is at best a counterpick character, and this is mostly because we don't have enough solid evidence to state the contrary. Until this is shown consistently, there still exist reason to put time and effort into the non-top ten.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nah, Mac is fine. He just needs a different thought process for playing as and against.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Big deal. Like really. I can't see what makes her so terrifying with edgeguarding with that.
It's called feeling hopeless. It's that thing that happens to some who see a "high tier" and go "OH ****!" and lose despite how bad that opponent was with a "high tier". Choosing Sheik does not automatically mean a win button. She's safe and she has tools to rack up damage and kill you, but that never means you can't win. You prevent her from winning, you make sure she doesn't land a kill move, and you make sure she gets pressured.

Welp, pep talk aside, I don't really know aside from that her edge guard options are very safe compared to say, Lucina, Robin, and er... Kirby?

Nah, Mac is fine. He just needs a different thought process for playing as and against.
Like, I don't know, play like a freaking boxer, weave around on the ground, make damn good reads, pile on damage as much as possible, and overwhelm the opponent? Rushing in like a brawler is going to get you killed at higher levels of play, but since it's easy to do that on inexperienced players and lower levels of play, people say he's OP. He's not. He's probably at the most disadvantaged since everyone's fighting him and learning how to gimp him. A good Little Mac is going to make you feel confused and like a fool.

See, kids, (American) football shouldn't be what everyone's watching. It should be boxing! :p

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why are we determining every character's worth and role in the overall competitive top-of-the-line meta-game when everyone still sucks at the game=???

I mean c'mon guys, this isn't the Mii Swordfighter we're talking about. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom