• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Has nothing to do with Nairo. Nairo also wins with Dark Pit. Do you see anyone claiming that Dark Pit is good?

@PK Gaming, I understand where you're coming from, but killing Sheik isn't as difficult as you think it is; it gets easier with a slight mindset adjustment. In most matchups, when it comes to the kill move, you're probably in the "I shouldn't fish for it" mindset. But against Sheik you should take some risks, because the damage that Sheik is going to do to you is far less than the damage that you're going to do to Sheik. Get Sheik to 90, then go for that risky grab or d-smash read; at worst, you get hit, but you can reset after taking a bit of damage; Sheik needs to get you rather high to consistently kill (this might change with DACUS on the Wii U: who knows). Sheik won't be going for f-smash reads against you in general because risk is worse for Sheik than it is for Robin. I don't think you're forced to take Speed Thunder by the way; I just think that it's a better option in this match-up. Trading damage for damage with Sheik's needles is good for you, because Sheik is lighter.

Final thought on Robin: if Ganondorf had Thoron+ with Speed Thunder as a custom neutral-b, I would be shouting "top tier top tier, Triforce of Power too strong!!" from the rooftops. Robin is a lot like Ganon...but with disjoints, and a smaller frame, and fast projectile books/tomes, and a better recovery (and worse reward on smashes, and no flame choke....and a few other things, but something to think about).

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He's probably in my top 15 impressions for the game. But Marth is going to be good as long as his rewards are rewarding and he has safety in his kit used optimally. Look at Marth in Project M? He's the same as in Melee but horrendous, every character's rewards are better, every character's **** is safe on shield as well, and marth only gets rewards for tippering that are mildly comparable to what the mid tier characters or better get for free. I can't stand him in that game because I'm working significantly harder than my opponent to only have it all undone by getting grabbed once into everyone's free/easy cookie cutter ****.
Honestly, I'm glad I don't know much about Project M. I playtested an early beta of it, saw it going the wrong direction, and gave up on it before it became popular. Melee has enough dumb crap, and the decision to balance the game around the original broken top tier cast was most likely the wrong decision. Just so people can fight Fox and Falco, they have to make a lot of characters really stupid from what I last heard.

His forward, up and back air act much like his grounded tilts (or jab). Neutral air is somewhat like down tilt. ?
Your design/understanding scope of Marth is completely different to mine, someone who doesn't play Marth nor has the claim of beating him consistently (which hint: most top players in all three smash game he's appeared in thus far usually have strong tournament records against Marth / outright claim he's terrible on a consistent basis). Marth is a character of fundamentals, spacing and reacting; when you play as Marth or against Marth, the player who wins is going to be the guy who's "better" at Marth, his match ups are not skewed with anyone or anything that isn't inherently bad already.
Okay, so you believe I don't acknowledge Marth requires skill to be effective with. I pick MARIO against Marth players in Melee precisely because I don't mind making a fool out of his mistakes and because at a high level he can't offensively dominate like space animals. This doesn't mean I can't point towards dishonesty in his design.

Also, if we go back to Melee and you want to argue Marth is about fundamentals, you have to acknowledge this. Marth was not intentionally designed to be intelligently played. He was originally designed to CRAP ON YOU COMPLETELY in neutral unless you threw items at him. It's somewhat unfortunate for him that competitive players discovered wavedashing and crouch canceling though...sorta making his sword less important. So if Marth is "fair" in Melee, it's mostly by accident.

All of Marth's attacks are arcs, with specific horizontal strikes in a very small few moves. He has tippers to accentuate what arcing hitboxes achieve (differences in horizontal or vertical positioning 'guaranteeing' tippers).
I'm not sure why you're stating a simple fact. My argument is that especially in a 2D environment like Smash, arcing hitboxes are not just something you should give to anyone, ESPECIALLY fast characters that are disjointed.

Okay, fair comes out, no matter what, the next time he can do anything is 25-30+ frames later. I proclaim Marth's full hop fair is enough of a bread and butter option to base his neutral off of it. I have to hit with fair to be effective, on shield or on themselves proper, if my opponent is good enough to avoid forward air at all, I'm likely losing the match. If Marth's forward air was 2 frames start up with a cool down of 13 frames, I'd say that **** is counterplayless. But it's ONLY SAFE ON HITTING SOMETHING. In this game I can only rising forward air or landing/fast fall forward air to be safe/effective, that's about a 35 frame window in Marth's floaty jump where he doesn't have optimal usage of this "no counter play" move. Knowing those are the two scenarios which are most optimal, what can an opponent do? A hell of a lot, and I just don't think you understand that/smash enough to get it.
Okay, the frame data makes sense. I'll concede that.

This doesn't exist in Smash 4. Where is the dishonesty at a +1 frame advantage? Seriously. Ughhhhh.
Positional advantage. You are close to Marth's tipper range in grab release, and for the majority of characters, this forces a buffered defensive response. Objectively it's minor in the grand scheme of things. It's still a dishonest advantage that should be steered away from.

I didn't say he should or shouldn't be artificially safer. It does make him a bit of a stinker to Lucina, but considering there are ways to space with his attacks that are at really good ranges but are still untippered, I respect it (Up tilt/fair in this game mostly, Brawl this was more pronounced).

Marth's entire kit is mostly honest, there is rarely if ever anything that you see from him that's unexpected. You do not understand Marth at the same level as any tournament going Marth, and it's obvious by your complaints about him; his OPTIMAL USAGES ARE GOOD, his non-optimal usages are pretty mediocre in this game and the ability to use things optimally in Marth is in relation to how capable your opponent is at Smash.

Do you know how many hours I've spent only losing and getting 2-3 stocked playing as Marth against someone like Tyrant's anything (Captain Falcon in Brawl, over and over)? He's a significantly better Marth player than I am in Brawl, likely one of the best in the world yet he doesn't pull it out in tournament. He power shields reliably, rolls appropriately, and abuses his blind spots disgustingly. Him and Mew2King are known as Marth slayers, they haven't dropped sets to them in tournament for like, HALF A DECADE+. Do you think any of the other countless top level players I've played that cannot beat me without their main in comparison? Those top players I still lose to end up just bulldozing me, hard punishing me for habitually relying on going for 'only optimal usages' and do so primarily off of power shielding my forward air. Seems like a pretty consistent ticket to ****ing up Marth "oh he's in the air? He's either forward airing on the rise, so spot dodge, or fairing on the landing, so shield it!" Voila.
Okay, fair enough. I know my complaints are largely from a design perspective, and I was strictly avoiding getting detailed about his competitive effectiveness. You want me to admit that? There's that. You have to realize it's not my intention to overrate Marth, and that in my limited competitive experience, I traditionally have found him an easier matchup for all the terrible characters I end up maining in Smash. I was not trying to argue from any of those impressions.

Brawl Metaknight (and co) is bull****. I somewhat don't understand the point of your stories about how you couldn't beat top Metaknight players with Marth. Like...if you were trying to convince me that Marth is beatable and has weaknesses, I already knew that. But that ultimately was never what I was arguing about.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
A misunderstanding there, but I did better against Tyrant's MK than most of his secondaries, that match up is mostly fine; Marth gets free kills moves out of grab, of course that match up is easier than say, ROB to play out; most pocket MKs by high level American players don't win because MK has to fear and respect Marth in a looooooooot of situations, and of course those pocket MKs don't know how or why, haha.
My point was that two players who I've spent a lot of time playing against/practising with (probably is why I'm so disproportionally good against MK); Tyrant and M2K destroy Marth on a fundamental level, not a match up one. All I can logically deduce (and all they tell me) is that I need to be reacting better and not being baited (i.e. bad habits), because an opponent better at those things than I am and know how Marth works is capable of beating me with... almost the entire cast. Meanwhile, I can get away with liberally using full hop fairs against Ally's Snake and while still losing, at least not have every thing I do shut down by universal mechanics.

Mikeneko had a huge shock effect on the Brawl scene, and everyone just sat in awe at watching him because that ****** had the best reaction speed in the entire world (made Ally jealous). He power shielded everything, and timed forward airs impeccably to people's approaches; everything about theory-Marth came true in this player's hands. In his words "Marth is 90% reaction and 10% reads"; all an opponent needs to beat Marth is to be a better reactor than him, and that's the cold hard truth of it. And unfortunately I have physical limits, which I'll continually try to push because that's how I derive enjoyment from this game (and character), hopefully my react/read ratio will tip 1% extra in reactions favour on a frequent enough basis to make me capable of getting top 32 at Apex, but that's only so hopeful/wishful :)

Marth's capabilities are mostly the same in this game in comparison to Brawl, with the freedom/opportunities for optimal usages are less (fortunately rewards on larger-risk choices are better). Yet I still have the one defining ability that allows Marth to compete: my moves will beat yours if I time them or react better than you; and if I choose incorrectly I'm wide open to everything.

You're right that arcs shouldn't be given to just anybody, they're "WINNING" in a nutshell. This guy's gone through a lot to get to a point where his option-rich design isn't abusive at most levels of play; look at where Marth was in Melee 6 years ago (tied first) to now being high-tierish/bottom of top. Everyone knows this character because he's been the face of Competitive Smash for almost 13 years, camping him hard and waiting for commitment is flow-charty enough for most top players to swear by it [and hence call Marth bad]. Very few are breaking through that wall in any game he features in.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Palutena's f-air seems to have been boosted by 1% damage, unless I'm going crazy and it always did 7%.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I need to test roll cancel grab shenanigans NOW!!!

omg sakurai i hope you didnt remove my sexy tech plz plz

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Luma can still attack during Rosalina being grabbed in 1.0.4.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
IKE IS AMAZING. His Fair not only comes out faster, you can now SH auto cancel it. Dtilt recovers faster making it even better for footsies and the new angle allows for combos. Ftilt also recovers a bit faster. Nair reduced knockback to allow more followups at mid percents.

Seems like you have to crouch to deal with Ike's Fair now or just be really short (damn you Frog).
I don't think you can put this guy anywhere near bottom 5 right now.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
omg Sakurai can kick rocks. Roll cancel grab has been removed and that means the pivot variation of it is gone as well. wtf. So because its an exploit and he sees that as a blight on his "art" it has to get removed? I hate this mans design philosophy I truly do. wtf. Harada needs to sit down and have a serious talk with this man about how exploits arent always a bad thing.

Signia

Smash Lord
Test perfect pivot plz

Also many pages of discussion must be retreaded, now.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The pivot version was insane for marth Shaya. I feel it could single handidly turn sonic into an even match. it was THAT good at detering ground approaches.

Now its gone.

Marth didnt even have the best one. Palutena was OD with it. smh.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Also many pages of discussion must be retreaded, now.
Good. Incremental thinking/learning is the best.

The pivot version was insane for marth Shaya. I feel it could single handidly turn sonic into an even match. it was THAT good at detering ground approaches.

Now its gone.

Marth didnt even have the best one. Palutena was OD with it. smh.
I just need to see it used well I guess (can't really, now), because I can't see it somehow extending his grab range, and hence, if I'm pivot grabbing on the spot without sliding, then am I not achieving the same thing?

Seriously, try it with shield + a instead of the grab button, SERIOUSLY.

Last edited:

Spirst

Roll cancel grab is still in as is perfect pivot. I can do both just like I've done in 1.0.3. For the former, at least I think so anyway. Not seeing much of a difference from before.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
perfect pivot still in. Seems like if it was a glitch or exploit its probably gone. The true pivot is just turning around in one frame. They would be hard pressed to remove that.

ok so it seems like its still in been testing really hard. timing is like....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY stricter now. i think its probably one frame now. at least thats how it feels to me. before i was doing it mindlessly..im glad i was wrong though

Last edited by a moderator:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll say this.

IMO, Charizard is completely unchanged. I'll check Lucario tomorrow when I'm not working on a paper.

Edit: Unless Zards hitboxes changed but I doubt this.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
And now im just confused. With the pivot version it seems you dont stop in place anymore like 1.03. You could rall cancel pivot and you would get a running grab animation but you wouldnt move at all. now Marth keeps his momentum no different then a plain sliding pivot grab which kinda sucks imo. little mac who has little traction can still do this and he wont slide though.

Spirst

Duck Hunt is unchanged, it seems. I was really hoping the reliability of the fsmash and uair would be increased. For the former, one reticle other than the last one will sometimes connect at high percents and do pushback but no actual knockback. Basically, it doesn't reward you for landing the smash. For the uair, it doesn't have as strong a downwards knockback as other uairs and so the last hit isn't set. Both are troublesome since those are two of his KO moves and he's a character who already struggles with KOs.

But yeah, nothing changed for him.

SloMoJesus

Smash Rookie
IKE IS AMAZING. His Fair not only comes out faster, you can now SH auto cancel it. Dtilt recovers faster making it even better for footsies and the new angle allows for combos. Ftilt also recovers a bit faster. Nair reduced knockback to allow more followups at mid percents.

Seems like you have to crouch to deal with Ike's Fair now or just be really short (damn you Frog).
I don't think you can put this guy anywhere near bottom 5 right now.
YES. This makes me so happy. Gonna go test now.

otter

Smash Ace
Curious to see read peoples thoughts on marth.

If you had to buff him, how would you do it and why? Would you nerf him? How and why?
Lengthen the sword and better, more clearly disjointed hitboxes. It seems like you shouldn't bother challenging alot of moves because you're going to trade even if you have the blade perfectly placed.

Dancing blade seems really good now (I actually play Lucina so it may be different.) f tilt is very good, which is good in this engine.

up tilt is garbage, which really hurts his juggle potential imo. It doesn't cover anything horizontally despite the animation, and I can't get it to combo into anything at any percentage.

edit: yay short hop fair jab jab jab (xN) for ike!

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You make Marths sword longer and half the cast now has an unwinnable match-up vs him.

Good job otter. (sarcasm if i wasn't being clear.)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You're Smash 4 Yoshi. Nothing is special compared to him.

I'm still waiting for the patch that strips him of his ability to jump OoS. He already can't be shieldpoked, did he really need a feature that makes his shield objectively superior to all other shields in the game as a result? :p
History has shown that Yoshi is absolutely awful in games
where he cannot jump out of shield. I'm sure this would seriously
cripple any character, but Yoshi has it worse since he has both a slow
roll and grab.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
History has shown that Yoshi is absolutely awful in games
where he cannot jump out of shield. I'm sure this would seriously
cripple any character, but Yoshi has it worse since he has both a slow
roll and grab.
Yeah, the thing is...Yoshi can jump out of shield in Smash 4 like in the original SSB. Plus, he also received numerous buffs all around to his up smash, f-air, dash attack, Egg throw, and down smash and has a dangerous jab to up smash true combo.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
omg Sakurai can kick rocks. Roll cancel grab has been removed and that means the pivot variation of it is gone as well. wtf. So because its an exploit and he sees that as a blight on his "art" it has to get removed? I hate this mans design philosophy I truly do. wtf. Harada needs to sit down and have a serious talk with this man about how exploits arent always a bad thing.
Eh, I dunno. I recall grabbing people 1/4 the distance of battlefield, teleporting to my hand. Shut down quite a few approaches easily.

Edit: Huh? They didn't remove it, I see it just fine for me. Didn't stop my slide, though.
After a few minutes looking at this, they easily made :4myfriends: OP, especially if you mix in customs.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Fire Emblem characters are meant to all be top tier.
It's destiny.

Down Throw on Marth/Lucina seems heavily buffed. Like holy cow, grab game received, and I didn't even want one.

Ike needed a short hop auto cancel on fair tbh, although his frame advantage on fast falling ones was already pretty good. Not sure if this'll make him OP in and of itself, he now has a solid 'approaching' pressure tool, baiting people into nair just wasn't cutting it and relying on powershields for success can get a bit tedious.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Fire Emblem characters are meant to all be top tier.
It's destiny.

Down Throw on Marth/Lucina seems heavily buffed. Like holy cow, grab game received, and I didn't even want one.

Ike needed a short hop auto cancel on fair tbh, although his frame advantage on fast falling ones was already pretty good. Not sure if this'll make him OP in and of itself, he now has a solid 'approaching' pressure tool, baiting people into nair just wasn't cutting it and relying on powershields for success can get a bit tedious.
List of changes: (didn't notice on dsmash)

IKE GOT BUFFED.

Jab combo works on that stupid Frog without rage if its fairly close. Registers as 3 hits. Prob safe to assume its 3 hits on entire cast. FAIR IS FASTER HOLY ****.The upper hitbox however seems to be gone.

BRB TESTING MORE.

SH FAIR AUTO CANCELS WTF

Dtilt angle changed to vertical trajectory, does 8 damage now, less recovery however which means its safer on whiff so changed angle may not be that bad and possible combos/traps too.

Ftilt recovers slightly faster.

Bair deals 1% more.

Nair knockback reduced which is great because now we combo much more at mid percents.

Dsmash angle changed to be a bit more horizontal.

SH Auto canceled Fairs is gonna be so sick. You can't put new Ike anywhere near bottom 5 at this point lmao
Ike can now combo out of dtilt, his existing combos with dthrow, uthrow, and nair are easier and lasts until higher percent, dtilt has nearly half as much ending lag so you can spam it til kingdom come, and ftilt lag feels like Sonic Fsmash while starting out faster.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Dragon Rush's damage output has been nerfed from 15% with all hits connecting to just 11% now.

But yeah other than that Zard looks to be the same in just about every way. No complaints here.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Dragon Rush's damage output has been nerfed from 15% with all hits connecting to just 11% now.

But yeah other than that Zard looks to be the same in just about every way. No complaints here.
Oh wow so they are balancing custom moves too? Nice to hear.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I can't believe how massive this patch is. It's almost a whole new game.

Tierlist will be vastly different.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It really is an entirely new game now. Some characters seem to have gotten nerfed quite hard (Greninja/Sheik) while others seem to be better in almost every way (Marth/Lucina/Ike/Shulk).

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sheik and Greninja got gutted, Sonic and Rosalina got a couple of potshots here and there, Zero Suit Samus had her movekit completed, and Yoshi and Diddy didn't really get anything.

Top 8's gonna see some adjustments.

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
At the very least, rushdown characters are no longer defined in comparison to Shiek with her huge nerfs.

Not a huge shiek player- can she still kill? She did deserve nerfs, but losing her kill moves is significant. What is she even going to do, hit them until they're at 130% and then fish for fishes?

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
Why is it that whenever people talk about Bowser, they always bring up his size as if it's a completely gamechanging weakness, but that's never the case for characters like DK or D3, who are only a few pixels smaller?

I won't deny that it is a weakness, but it's definitely not as striking as people claim. It's not like you will become a punching bag for melee'esque strings and setups, specially when Bowser actually has very good buttoms to defend himself at mid and close range such as Ftilt, Dtilt, jab, OoS Whirling Fortress and the situational Fire Breath. His buffs to mobility (same run speed as Marth, faster than the other heavies not named Charizard), and his improved aerials also allows him to position himself better, since you now have to respect his options.

His big weakness is still getting lamed by projectiles, and while his size does contribute to that, it's mostly his lack of tools to deal with anything that comes farther than mid range, unlike Charizard's Flare Blitz/D3's Gordos/Ganon's Flame Choke (although Dash Slash custom alleviates this).

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
Why is it that whenever people talk about Bowser, they always bring up his size as if it's a completely gamechanging weakness, but that's never the case for characters like DK or D3, who are only a few pixels smaller?
Well, the difference is people don't talk about DK and D3 as top tier candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom