• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I'm curious whether or not the "Cloud will fall because he's easier to play than to play against" theory will hold true. I think the character's options aren't quite that shallow, and he still has lots of room to grow to counteract other characters refining their Cloud matchup.

I also think he'll make a pretty big splash at Genesis 3 regardless of how well he fares a few months down the road (which will likely lead to a kneejerk reaction from the casual-competitive community, like results at big tournaments always do). His recent results and use by top level players all but guarantee that.

Friendly reminder that Cloud has one of, if not, the absolute worst grab game in the cast. Dude has a sub par grab, no kill throws, and no throw followups past like 10%. Does this make him bad? Probably not. But give it time. The dude hasn't been out that long.
No character's grab + throw game is anywhere near as bad as :4yoshi:.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
You can use it out of cargo throw so at least it has some utility.
You could but I often find myself in the predicament of "yeah I got this percent, but it took them out of Ding Dong percents".

I want you guys to see that DK is in tragic state for generally bad play from the Dev team. There way of even addressing DK is kinda bizarre (not as bizarre how they are insistent on keeping certain characters out of the buff train, but let some have an EZ pass). To make DK a better character is to decrease the end lag of jab 1 from 25 to 19. Why I say this is it can't connect properly at low percents and jab is a pretty good way for DK to setup stuff. That is the only buff I wanted to see from inception. The setups he has from it already is good, but requires rage and decent-high percents minus any fast defensive options to work. That DK would be more respected and less looked at with a "gimmicky" playstyle and a more solid, less counterplay character he is.

His Ding Dong is all cool and all, but it feels a bit stupid to have especially when he has far more important issues to deal with. DK can kill fine with or without it.

DK has 4 meteors, but 3 of which meteor frame 18+. The second hit of down b is paltry, fair is just hurtful and a pain to see.

Headbutt has a tiny sweet spot, is weak, tons of endlag, and just makes me cry ever since the Nerf. Marcina's didn't need to be nerfed either, but at least there's is kinda hard to punish thanks to better range, startup, endlag and even recovery (albeit if you are high in the sky). With DK, he all in yo face and stays there along with his poor range from it. Plus it's telegraphed. Overall it lost it's useful niche ability.

TL;DR
Make jab 1 good, reset headbutt, and fair is absolute buttcheeks.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
On the subject of Cloud's Climhazzard not ledge sweet-spotting well... Anyone have ideas why it's like this other than "Cloud needs a weakness"? You have other characters that also include Little Mac with very predictable, linear, and exploitable recoveries, but they can all sweet-spot the ledge. Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Ike if forced to use Aether, Lucina, Luigi if forced to use Luigi Missile, Marth, Rosalina, Roy, Shulk, and more have what are considered exploitable or predictable recoveries. So, why add more insult to injury by making it so he can't ledge sweet-spot? Part of me feels like if Cloud could ledge sweet-spot more easily with Climhazzard, he'd still have a bad recovery ... I mean, imagine if Shulk needed to be in Jump Art to sweet-spot with Air Slash. You can only stay in Jump for so long and sometimes, it's not going to happen. FFA, singles, doubles, triples, whatever, it's just not fair in my opinion for one character to not be able to sweet-spot the ledge. If it was just one recovery move like say Cloud had his Dissidia Cross Slash that moved him forward and sweet-spotted the ledge while Climhazzard didn't, then that might be a bit better, but Cloud doesn't have that. He only has Climhazzard like how Roy and Shulk only have Blazer and Air Slash. Your air speed, air mobility, jump height, recovery move distane, whatever can be as good as it wants, but in a game where every character save for Cloud can naturally sweet-spot the ledge, it really stands out when you can't. Imagine if Roy couldn't sweet-spot with Blazer. Oh look, Roy's recovery is even more of a joke for the rest of the Counter Fire Emblem characters. For example, Ike didn't really need to exert himself to edgeguard Roy if Roy's forced to go low and when Ike's right next to the ledge ready for a Counter drop. Now? Ike could charge a Side Smash and kill him with the sour-spot for ***** and giggles. Hell, he could play punching bag with Roy if Roy decides to go a bit higher and... oh look, he can't sweet-spot, so he lingers in the air for a bit. PUNCHING TIME!

If there's one buff for the so-called OP, overtuned, weeks-old high tier, and pathetic off-stage Cloud, it would be to make his Climhazzard sweet-spot the ledge regardless unless you overshoot above the ledge. He'd still be pathetic off-stage when his jump's low, he commits hard with aerials, and Climhazzard's still not a flexible recovery move compared to even Aether.

Edit: Forgot about this one: what if no character could sweet-spot the ledge?
The way you've phrased it sounds as if you think that Shulk can sweet spot the ledge with air slash currently. Shulk isnt never able to sweet spot the ledge with airslash, and he'd probably love to be able to do it while in the Jump art. He and Cloud share that weakness.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I'm curious whether or not the "Cloud will fall because he's easier to play than to play against" theory will hold true. I think the character's options aren't quite that shallow, and he still has lots of room to grow to counteract other characters refining their Cloud matchup.

I also think he'll make a pretty big splash at Genesis 3 regardless of how well he fares a few months down the road (which will likely lead to a kneejerk reaction from the casual-competitive community, like results at big tournaments always do). His recent results and use by top level players all but guarantee that.

No character's grab + throw game is anywhere near as bad as :4yoshi:.
Bottom line: Cloud's grab game is bad.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Friendly reminder that Cloud has one of, if not, the absolute worst grab game in the cast. Dude has a sub par grab, no kill throws, and no throw followups past like 10%. Does this make him bad? Probably not. But give it time. The dude hasn't been out that long.
THANK YOU! Finally, someone said it. As you said, not an absolutely dooming thing but when it's a tool that a nearly all the top/high tiers have, you do realize it's something he utterly lacks. In this game, kill and set up throws are a huge deal. Cloud's grab reward is worse than Bowser Jr's (a character most people argue is low mid tier at best and mid low tier at worst) and that's saying a lot.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The way you've phrased it sounds as if you think that Shulk can sweet spot the ledge with air slash currently. Shulk isnt never able to sweet spot the ledge with airslash, and he'd probably love to be able to do it while in the Jump art. He and Cloud share that weakness.
Air Slash has better vertical? and horizontal coverage and doesn't cause Shulk to linger like Cloud does. Even Little Mac's Rising Uppercut lingering in the air is better since having his arm out is better than his entire body up. The second hit of Air Slash lets Shulk threaten people while Cloud's likely going to cause people to laugh as he SDs.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Well,

it looks cool.
Mario's F-air disagrees.

Complain all you want about your main's crap forward air but take solace in the fact that it isn't :4littlemac:'s.
At least Mac's F-air can be combo'd out of D-tilt and sets up for a D-air jab lock which can be followed up with F-smash, U-smash, or KO Uppercut.

It also sends people at shallow angle, but it's not like you'll want to go deep offstage as LM but if you want to suicide gimp, well...

Fresh Fthrow does 13%.

Dthrow barely combos, and that's only at very low percents.

Ganondorf's grab is still a joke.
3% pummel + F-throw = 16%
D-throw into Wizkick. D-throw into FlaChoke. D-throw into N-air. D-throw to DA (Which, if they do nothing or airdodge, can be followed up with U-smash)

That ain't too bad, especially considering how hard he hits. 16% is just 64% more to the percents where he can kill you.

His grab range tho...

But on the other hand, Yoshi's grab is kinda booty, and he gets no followups, I think? And his throws do no more than 7%. SEVEN percents. Ganon's do at least 7% and at most he gets 13%.

Contributing to Ganon vs Falcon in recovery class:
Both are screwed when they lose their double jumps. But Falcon generally have it better due to Falcon Dive being momentum based. If he is facing towards the stage with his max airspeed, he can cover TONS of horizontal distance. On the other hand, go as fast as you want, if you're facing backwards as Falcon then your Up-B gonna suck, and he has no usable B-reversing to flip himself.

Ganon's Up-B goes higher than Falcon's, but Falcon's high double jump make up for this. Dark Dive is definitely worse, much worse than Falcon Dive in horizontal distance (Due to the momentum Falcon has compared to Ganon's. Airspeed! But if Falcon's facing backwards... well, yeah...). Falcon Dive has... really long disjointed grabbox in front of him, but above him? Barely. Ganon's IIRC has coverage above him. HOWEVER, this can backfire, badly.

Thing is, both can be simply tanked by other characters. Since both of them will most likely be close to a wall, people can just take the hit, WALL JUMP tech the knockback, F-air/N-air/Whatever them away. In which case they're 95% dead. Falcon suffers worse from this simply because the strength of his move, being stronger means the percents range where this will work is also bigger. Angle is generally less of a factor because Ganon launches people at Sakurai angle (Read: 45 degrees on airbone opponents) while Falcon's at 50 degrees. Because of the time they... hug you, teching should be feasible.

On protection, Ganon actually has this better. F-air is huge*** and doesn't lag too bad, but the main light should be U-air here. Falcon's U-air is nothing at stopping edgeguards (Albeit, it does its job well), Ganon's U-air can both damage AND gimp people, because it can stage spike due to the shallow angle it sends people at. I killed a character at 110% when they were trying to gimp me, and that's with flat walls (Walled omegas). Got the imagination yet?

Side-B, Ganon has this better unless he is at a stock deficit, in which case you shouldn't be doing this. Raptor Boost can spike, nice, if it weren't for the fact the spike hitbox is lackuster. Falcon also go to helpless regardless if he hits people or not, and he bounces backwards. Accidentically hit a shielding opponent on the ledge and you're in for it.

In general, Falcon's goes farther, but Ganon's harder to hit out from. Both are exploitable tho, but I think Falcon has this better, because due to the momentum, he can recover high to fake out, while Ganon almost always forced to recover low, where his DD can be exploited due to tech wall jump.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
A reminder to separate grab from throws.

Cloud has incredible mobility and very good grabs. His grab game is good, like Ike's, due to the potency of his jab and cross Slash mixups. Also, late AC DAir can be quite hard to deal with.

At high %'s, his 3% pummel and decent knockback throws allow him to get limit. Also, positional advantage of limit Cloud juggling is a huge advantage. You're talking about top 5 runspeed, disjointed lingering uair, foxtrot>up tilt, landing trap usmash, with 2 aerial hard read options (one of which comes out f10). If you're giving me the grab, I'll gladly take it.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Cloud is a pain in the ass. Like Wario, he gets reward for running away, but unlike Wario, he gets that reward REALLY fast.

Cloud is also one of the characters who benefits massively from the brokenness of auto-cancel aerials which are stupidly abundant in this game. Every time the guy comes at you with a nAir, he also gets the free option of a 50/50 jab/grab.

I'm not yet convinced that he is competitively overpowered (especially while Super Shiek and the like are still around), but I expect some kind of nerf just because he falls into the "chore to fight" category with ZSS, Sonic, Pika, and a few others.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
People were talking about how Cloud is overrated because of his bad recovery, now complaining about him being braindead and stupid because of limit.

What next?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
People were talking about how Cloud is overrated because of his bad recovery, now complaining about him being braindead and stupid because of limit.

What next?
...I'm pretty sure people were saying he was overrated due to a bad recovery because that's his most obvious disadvantage and something we actually knew in the first week or so, but now that people have had had more time to play as/against him, they think limit makes him overrated.

Last edited:

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
I think if limit break had the same commitment that other charging mechanics did then it wouldn't be so silly *cough*exceptshiekneedlecancel*cough*. I.E. forced to shield/airdoge to cancel it.

That, or make them all able to be canceled. Only fair. Would layer some nice tech skill in if all charges could be interrupted with attacks in the first few frames.

Last edited:

FimPhym

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-2129-8093
There's a lot of cloud discussion going on, which is lucky for me since I fancied talking about the cloud vs dedede match up. A match up that most people and even most clouds probably haven't had a chance to explore.

From first impressions and from casually learning some cloud, I expected a pretty even match. Cloud doesn't have anything like an oppressive projectile, his recovery is garbage which dedede loves, he doesn't have much going off grab which lets dedede shield as much as he naturally desires. Seems pretty good! Cloud is clearly a better character overall but the way their tools interact looked like a 5-5.

Actually playing the match was a different experience.

First notable interaction: grabs and shield pressure. It turns out for as bad as clouds throw game may be, he is great at pressuring dedede without opening himself up to anything. Even if not specifically spacing against shield, cloud's general movement and space control with nair, bair, and uair really choke the ways dedede likes to move. This one is a little hard to quantify and "feely" but very obvious once you are in the matchup.

As a bonus, dedede is probably the easiest and safest target to falling uair against in the game, especially if you cross up!

Edge guarding and recovery: Here's where I expected to blow out cloud, but it turns out to not be so easy. Starting at the mid percents all the way up to death, a problem presents itself. Any time cloud gets a solid hit and knocks dedede off stage, he is forced to float back to stage with his worst in the game horizontal movement speed. He also has to dip below and stage and super armour his way up to the sweet spot with up b. This is all normal, fine, and very safe. The problem is going through these motions takes several seconds even when sent only a short distance. While it is possible to recover directly onto the stage with no up b, this usually means coming in at a height where cloud can reasonably edge guard you without even going off stage - not a great time.

This means cloud ends up with limit without the need to even run away and give up stage control. Now he can fairly reliably have limit break when knocked off stage, which makes his bad recovery a non issue. Cloud having limit so often at dedede's mid to high percents also means he gets plenty of time to fish for that finishing touch opening, or even just a cross slash kill. Ouch.

The match comes out feeling like a standard dedede match up - it's in clouds favour, but nothing like as bad as the fox or zss match up. Merely a standard disadvantage match up. It was an unexpected route to get there though. Never before has recovering slowly but safely been such an issue.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I saw someone say :4zelda: had the worst fair.

What if I told you there was a fair so horrendous it makes you cry just to look at it?

Frame 18 for hitbox to first appear, spikes from frame 21. Does 13-16% pending on timing. 29 frames of landing lag. Frame 56 FAF and frame 78 AC.:4dk:
Huh, I thought DK didn't have an autocancel on fair.. just went to training to test this and I can't move until the animation is finished. When it is I don't have landinglag anymore, when it isn't I do have landinglag. So either the autocancel is super useless because the animation doesn't even take that long, or the FAF doesn't work. :/

Big O said his fair is still bugged, so there probably are some weird things with the move. Even the Melee framedata notes "Auto-cancel: Donkey Kong's Forward-Air is the only aerial in the game that cannot be auto-canceled.", though of course it probably doesn't matter that much in Melee because of L-cancelling.
Just looked at Big Os DK frame data and this is what he has: total frames of fair is 55, and the note "Never AC's/still bugged lol". And of course in Brawl it was like that too.

Kinda sad but ah well. His fair is pretty bad and DK wishes he had a good aerial that hits in front of him or any 'not with a lot of landinglag' landing option that isn't "do nothing", but it does have a bit of uses. I definietly like it more than Marios fair because it covers much more range (starting above + behind DKs head). It also did get faster than it was in Brawl (where it was the slowest aerial in the game iirc).
Melee: Fair ...25-29 / 59 (landinglag: 30 (Lcancel: 15), no autocancel)
->
Brawl: Fair ...25-29 / 59...(landinglag: 30 frames, no auto cancel. Spikes on frames 27-29)
->
Smash 4: Fair ...18-22 / 55 (landinglag: 29; Never AC's; Spikes on frames 21-22)

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
imo Cloud is somewhat poorly designed. He's a swordfighter (with a huge sword at that) without classic sword user weaknesses in having kinda laggy moves and average mobility. He is easy to play because of this; usually classic swordies are not so because one has to learn to work around these weaknesses by utilising their awesome disjoint reach with good spacing. Instead we have a mobile character with powerful moves accompanied by good frame data and a ridiculous disjoint. Also how that Uair made it through development I have no idea, @san. makes a good point about the AC window coming 1 frame after the hitbox ends.

I don't want to call anything, but I can see him becoming the new Luigi, in that he may be dominating low- and mid-level tournaments within a couple of months due to his relative ease of play and frustration factor. His weaknesses (recovery and throw game) don't compensate well enough for his awesome strengths... although I suppose that is just a definition of a top tier character.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
A reminder to separate grab from throws.

Cloud has incredible mobility and very good grabs. His grab game is good, like Ike's, due to the potency of his jab and cross Slash mixups. Also, late AC DAir can be quite hard to deal with.

At high %'s, his 3% pummel and decent knockback throws allow him to get limit. Also, positional advantage of limit Cloud juggling is a huge advantage. You're talking about top 5 runspeed, disjointed lingering uair, foxtrot>up tilt, landing trap usmash, with 2 aerial hard read options (one of which comes out f10). If you're giving me the grab, I'll gladly take it.
Cloud's jab isn't very good, though. It's frame 4 but does less damage than Ike's and has an absurdly slow FAF at 30, which is 6 more than Ike's jab here in Smash 4. It makes it extremely hard to do anything out of jab 1 outside of jab 2.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I think his jab works very well in conjunction with some of his moves in his kit, such as Limit Side B and usmash personally.

Can we talk about how stupid usmash is for a moment? That move hurts my soul.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The fair isn't bugged, it's intentional design to have a really **** AC window.

Examples: Shulk
Intentional design to have an autocancel window that is impossible to even be reached by the animation? Why is it that specific number then? They could just not give the move an autocancel in the first place (Lucario seems to not have one on his fair, though it's not too big of a deal for him since the move ends pretty quickly). I mean "bugged" might be the wrong word but sloppily designed and probably an error is very likely.

And I'm not sure if it's with all of Shulks aerials, but some like fair, uair and dair can be cancelled into different stuff earlier than his animation suggests (so he has IASA) but if he lands in that time he still gets landinglag. That is a different thing by itself that also others have like Palutena with uair... but with DKs fair the animation ends at 55 and its done. There is no IASA, the animation doesn't last any longer... so nowhere near frame 78. It's just weird. Though Shulks autocancels are probably higher than his animations too, probably not with such a big difference than for DKs fair.

DK really is the most suffering from that though, since Shulk at least has IASA so it's possible to cancel earlier than the animationlength. He's also more protected by his long sword and his landinglag isn't too long now as well after the last patch.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Shulk nair FAF 71, Autocancel 80>
shulk fair FAF 42, autocancel 57>

compare to DK

DK fair FAF 56, autocancel 78>

we could go a step further:

Ganondorf fair FAF 45, autocancel 55>

All of these moves have been designed in a way that forces you to use a double jump or whatever to not incur landing lag. The fact that it's been through three games and various patches in smash 4... if it really was a bug it would have been fixed by now. Sakurai isn't ********, y'know.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
The only way I can see DK not getting landing lag off F-Air is to double jump or N-Air right at the end of a FH F-Air.

Doesn't make the move any better. It's a design choice to make DK's forward aerial options limited for ??? reasons besides design choices for the character, kinda like how Mario doesn't have amazing choices but is still better off because he has N-Air/D-Air.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Im not sure if this is relevant/allowed so, sorry if it isn't but in response to this thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/why-do-we-condone-secret-keeping-about-combos-and-frame-data.427122/

I've decided to compile a full list of MK dash attack to whatever combos here: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Meta Knight/DashAttack

I'm going to delete the rage column because that's too hard to test by myself; MK mains should know what rage does to their character. I've done the lightweights, midweights will be next and then the heavyweights.

I like transparency rather than secrecy. I hope these combo tables will help MK mains in the future.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
That would be considered under both competitive and tactics/theories...soo

I don't see why it isn't allowed. More information being out there makes for a more fleshed out metagame which pushes the game further.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Shulk nair FAF 71, Autocancel 80>
shulk fair FAF 42, autocancel 57>

compare to DK

DK fair FAF 56, autocancel 78>

we could go a step further:

Ganondorf fair FAF 45, autocancel 55>

All of these moves have been designed in a way that forces you to use a double jump or whatever to not incur landing lag. The fact that it's been through three games and various patches in smash 4... if it really was a bug it would have been fixed by now. Sakurai isn't ********, y'know.
But it's weird design, I really don't think it's intentional because why do something like that which is probably too complicated for casual players to notice and redundant to have since it can just be cancelled anyway. I mean it's not terrible and can seperate better players from others who don't know about it so it kinda feels "too competitive".. while also limiting the options of these characters a bit. Reminds me of Lcancelling which they just don't want anymore in the game, then why would they put something so similar in.

And with DK you don't need to do anything, the animation just ends. The autocancel window literally does nothing at all. You don't need to cancel anything, because the moment you can act out of fair the move is done and there is no landinglag anymore.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
So it's basically as if the auto cancel doesn't exist because you still only get the 2-4 frame landing lag from normal landing anyways.

That is strange.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Actually both Shulk and Cloud can sweetspot the ledge. Just not when it would be convenient. Air Slash's second hit will sweetspot if Shulk's head is right around the ledge I think while Climhazzard works like Aether and Final Cutter where he can only snap on the way down except he has to be a bit higher than those two moves for it to not SD. And as Ffamran's video showed, Cloud appears to share a property with Shulk where if he up-Bs right at the end of his double jump he ledge snaps immediately. I'm not sure if this applies to all characters, though I'd imagine not.

Browny

Smash Hater
Im gonna stir the pot here a little because it needs to be stirred

Lucas' grab buff in 1.1.3 is almost meaningless and has no effect on his viability.

If you want proof, go and watch any set of a Lucas main pre-patch and count the instances where they were punished in the last few frames for whiffing a grab, the 5 frames that were cut down from the attack. You'll find there is two scenarios

A) The lucas player was punished well within 41/51 frames, meaning the buff to his grab would have had no impact
B) The lucas player wasnt punished at all within 46/56 frames, meaning the buff to his grab would have had no impact

I was watching matches it for about 15 mintues before I got bored of seeing grab punishes that were well within the new lower amount.

I'm not saying it isnt a buff, of course its a buff and it could be the difference between winning and losing a match. However the chance of the buff even having one impact in a match is so extremely rare, you could feasibly go an entire tournament as lucas and have the grab buff not affect a single interaction. People overhype that buff way too much.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Im not sure if this is relevant/allowed so, sorry if it isn't but in response to this thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/why-do-we-condone-secret-keeping-about-combos-and-frame-data.427122/

I've decided to compile a full list of MK dash attack to whatever combos here: http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Meta Knight/DashAttack

I'm going to delete the rage column because that's too hard to test by myself; MK mains should know what rage does to their character. I've done the lightweights, midweights will be next and then the heavyweights.

I like transparency rather than secrecy. I hope these combo tables will help MK mains in the future.
training room combos with fresh dash attack and uair :dazwa:

MK mains beware, we are now unviable, the secret is out, never again will an MK win anything. It seems that we have lost. It's over brothers

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
It's almost the length that he can grab the ledge already.

It makes very little difference.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Regadless of how people feel about Cloud as a character in general ... I think it's pretty obvious that the whole limit mechanics are extremely broken. I mean look at the reward, then look at the risk.

That stuff is lopsided as ****.

:059:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Smells more like sarcasm. ;)

Regadless of how people feel about Cloud as a character in general ... I think it's pretty obvious that the whole limit mechanics are extremely broken. I mean look at the reward, then look at the risk.

That stuff is lopsided as ****.
Eh, I'm just not seeing it as being that bad.

The "risk" also needs to factor in Cloud having an awful, exploitable recovery WITHOUT LB, so it's a resource he needs to spend wisely or he's likely going to die as a result. If Cloud fires a LB and it gets shielded or evaded, he just made his chances of returning to the stage THAT much worse.

And yes, charging LB is very safe, but there are plenty of characters in the game that just aren't going to give Cloud much of a chance to do that.

If there's any complaint we should have about Cloud, it's that he's going to do well against slower characters who really, REALLY don't need yet another bad matchup, but without being a real threat to the likes of Sheik/ZSS in most cases.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
It's going to be funny and a little bit sad if tournaments end up being dominated by guest characters. Bow to your new third party masters!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom