• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I honestly see Cloud settling around the spot Ike is now, possibly better. Can get top 8 but requires work. Without the rep fromt he big Ike mains, he may not be seen in top 8s unless someone big like Komorikiri starts really using him, which I doubt. Bayonetta's the wrench in everything. Who knows how that'll go.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's going to be funny and a little bit sad if tournaments end up being dominated by guest characters. Bow to your new third party masters!
:snake: at least for the first three years or so.

For this game, I've kind of noticed that too. :4ryu::4sonic: are unquestionably high tier, most people agree that :4cloud::4megaman::4pacman: are on the high end of mid tier at worst with plenty of room to grow and develop, and that :4bayonetta:has a 90% of being on the high end of high tier.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I've been away for some time and missed out on most of Cloud's development, but from this discussion it seems like he must be doing pretty well! That's nice.

Also, I think his up-smash is wacky. It's nice near the ledge and also makes landing difficult but I've had situations where the hitbox seems way off. The damage and knockback is good, but it is peculiar that his up-air is quite similar in power considering its ridiculous frame data.

Despite that, I still rely on up-smash a lot, but that could be just bad habits from playing Dr. Mario so much. Like seriously, if you're not careful with that guy his up-smash will consume you Peach down-smash style. It's way too useful and I can't stop abusing it. Help.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Fox, Ryu, Yoshi, Peach, and Wario all have below average grab/throw games. It's an issue but as long as the character can still hit shields safely or punish them like all these characters, then it's not a huge detriment.

Cloud has an approach forcer in LB so you can't be too defensive, and extremely safe aerials/dtilt. Lack of a grab/throw game isn't a big deal at all.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Cloud is a pain in the ***. Like Wario, he gets reward for running away, but unlike Wario, he gets that reward REALLY fast.

Cloud is also one of the characters who benefits massively from the brokenness of auto-cancel aerials which are stupidly abundant in this game. Every time the guy comes at you with a nAir, he also gets the free option of a 50/50 jab/grab.

I'm not yet convinced that he is competitively overpowered (especially while Super Shiek and the like are still around), but I expect some kind of nerf just because he falls into the "chore to fight" category with ZSS, Sonic, Pika, and a few others.
I find it hilarious Nintendo keeps giving decent autocancels to characters like Cloud, but for everyone else they horde them like they want them to be subpar characters.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Yeahhh...It's hard to be safe when the move goes literally into the other person. 24 frames of endlag is pretty high too.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It can but it's still -27 on block.

It's -17 if you hit with the last hitbox frame but then you're literally right in front of them.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
At least Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive so she's kind of a character in Nintendo's camp (it also makes tons of sense from a marketing perspective).

They're missing a golden opportunity by not releasing the FF7 remake on the WiiU, but I'm pretty sure Sony is to that project what Nintendo was to Bayonetta 2:

The game's Wii U exclusivity was met with complaints by fans of the original game; PlatinumGames producer Atsushi Inaba responded that Bayonetta 2 would not exist if Nintendo had not partnered with the developer to make the game.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
I don't want to sound like a douchebag. But are you guys seriously thinking that Cloud is broken? Recovery is really bad, doesn't have anything good against shields (not even Limit Cross Slash can make up for anything. Yeah it's not punisable but you won't deal any important shield damage with it). And also, he has to be one of the most gimpable characters in the entire cast. Everybody can spike him. EVEN SONIC (and Sonic has a really bad time spiking people). Hell, even Little Mac edgeguards Cloud amazingly and gimps him with Dair. Cloud has a really good on-stage game, but it isn't at any level of the top tiers. Sheik destroys Cloud and sends him back to midgar. Zero Suit Samus doesn't care about anything Cloud does because of Flip Jump and an even better air speed. Sonic runs circles around Cloud and can deal with him anyday (he has to work for the win though. It isn't an easy match-up). Rosalina walls out Cloud hard and absorbs Cloud's Blade Beams (Normal Blade Beam and Limit Blade Beam).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
At least Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive so she's kind of a character in Nintendo's camp (it also makes tons of sense from a marketing perspective).

They're missing a golden opportunity by not releasing the FF7 remake on the WiiU, but I'm pretty sure Sony is to that project what Nintendo was to Bayonetta 2:
As off topic as this is, from what I've heard about FF7R it's going to be a timed exclusive, and while the Wii U probably couldn't handle the game the NX seems to be coming pretty soon.

I don't want to sound like a douchebag. But are you guys seriously thinking that Cloud is broken? Recovery is really bad, doesn't have anything good against shields (not even Limit Cross Slash can make up for anything. Yeah it's not punisable but you won't deal any important shield damage with it). And also, he has to be one of the most gimpable characters in the entire cast. Everybody can spike him. EVEN SONIC (and Sonic has a really bad time spiking people). Hell, even Little Mac edgeguards Cloud amazingly and gimps him with Dair. Cloud has a really good on-stage game, but it isn't at any level of the top tiers. Sheik destroys Cloud and sends him back to midgar. Zero Suit Samus doesn't care about anything Cloud does because of Flip Jump and an even better air speed. Sonic runs circles around Cloud and can deal with him anyday (he has to work for the win though. It isn't an easy match-up). Rosalina walls out Cloud hard and absorbs Cloud's Blade Beams (Normal Blade Beam and Limit Blade Beam).
Seeing as I'm probably the one who started this... Braindead =/= broken. Cloud's very easy to use and play effectively, and he's got some very potent tools on top of this. As it's been said, Cloud vs. X is undeniably easier to learn then X vs. Cloud. In spite of all of this Cloud still has some glaring weaknesses and is by no means a free win against somebody who really understands the matchup or Shiek. Once we figure out a few more of his bad matchups he's going to end up like Ness who bodies a lot of worse characters but then is bodied by a bunch of characters higher then him.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Can we wait until Genesis 3 or even Dismantle 2 (this Saturday for Dismantle 2)? I mean Ryu gained notoriety months after release. So really just speaking of the potential Cloud has is potentially dragging this thread.

"But the Japanese play him like this"
With a response like,
"A far different meta, with Bo1 pools and restrictive stage choices."

Does this mean we are waiting for an American major then? If so, then we have one on the horizon. In the mean time, I hope no one is getting an aneurysm looking at this stuff.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The only change Cloud/LB needs is that manual charge ought to have somehow diminishing returns similar to WFT down-b, so as to slow the reward of hardcore runaway charge spam. You can also do what that one guy said, and just make it not able to complete charge manually.

Nerfs wouldn't surprise me. No nerfs wouldn't surprise me.

Complain all you want about your main's crap forward air but take solace in the fact that it isn't :4littlemac:'s.
If the opponent is conditioned to expect d-smash at the ledge, walk-off fair can totally blindside them.

Two nights ago, I got two low-% kills off a Cloud with walkoff Mac fair.

Im gonna stir the pot here a little because it needs to be stirred

Lucas' grab buff in 1.1.3 is almost meaningless and has no effect on his viability.

If you want proof, go and watch any set of a Lucas main pre-patch and count the instances where they were punished in the last few frames for whiffing a grab, the 5 frames that were cut down from the attack. You'll find there is two scenarios

A) The lucas player was punished well within 41/51 frames, meaning the buff to his grab would have had no impact
B) The lucas player wasnt punished at all within 46/56 frames, meaning the buff to his grab would have had no impact

I was watching matches it for about 15 mintues before I got bored of seeing grab punishes that were well within the new lower amount.

I'm not saying it isnt a buff, of course its a buff and it could be the difference between winning and losing a match. However the chance of the buff even having one impact in a match is so extremely rare, you could feasibly go an entire tournament as lucas and have the grab buff not affect a single interaction. People overhype that buff way too much.
Now count the number of times where the Lucas could have considered throwing out a grab, which would have hit and resulted in high reward, but they declined because the risk was too great.

Extrapolate to ZSS. If she got the same buff, she'd be our new Meta Knight.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This post is false.

Also Cloud ****s Rosalina so hard she be screamin her name is Mrs.Strife.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Haven't both Nairo and Choco lost to Clouds? not the the fights were super fair, but if the MU was far in ZSS's favor, then I don't think they would've lost.
Does Cloud's Dtilt break spindash?
This post is false.

Also Cloud ****s Rosalina so hard she be screamin her name is Mrs.Strife.
It seems to me that the main thing Rosa has in this MU is a disjointed Dair, allowing for easier gimps then usual. Other then that, Cloud has a pretty big advantage looking at it moveset and strategy wise.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
So, I hear a lot about Cloud, but not where he would be at in a tier list. Is he high, upper mid, mid, lower mid, or low?

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Now count the number of times where the Lucas could have considered throwing out a grab, which would have hit and resulted in high reward, but they declined because the risk was too great.

Extrapolate to ZSS. If she got the same buff, she'd be our new Meta Knight.
Agreed. Also, Lucas's Nair damage output was buffed to 12%, and considering how much he uses that move and how it strings into itself and pretty much all his other aerials, that's a pretty important one too.
So, I hear a lot about Cloud, but not where he would be at in a tier list. Is he high, upper mid, mid, lower mid, or low?
No one actually knows but everyone thinks they do.

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
So looking at Cloud frame data wouldn't be very easy to combo him?, I mean his fastest aerial I belive is Nair which is frame 5 (and the hitbox begins behind cloud) so that would mean that a character like mario could easily get like 30-40% from a single grab at low percents.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Haven't both Nairo and Choco lost to Clouds? not the the fights were super fair, but if the MU was far in ZSS's favor, then I don't think they would've lost.
Does Cloud's Dtilt break spindash?
Nairo wasn't playing on his best on that match. A lot of whiffed grabs. And D-tilt just clanks with Spin Dash. That doesn't mean Cloud is the perfect counter for Sonic. Because he doesn't have enough speed on his frame data to make Sonic suffer. Also Spring negates any recovering option that Cloud can have. Maybe Rosalina loses to Cloud. But i'm sure as hell Pikachu, Ness, Mario, Meta Knight and Captain Falcon defeat Cloud very easily.

Cloud is actually looking as a threat and I get it. But his weak points are just too important and his strengths can't cover up his awful recovery or poor grab game.You will see that with time people will defeat Cloud easily. He is still brand new. And as a other user said: Let's wait until Genesis 3. Then we will see if he really his deserving this hype and speculation, or like other DLC chacaters, will fall flat in our faces at top level play.

Rizen

Smash Legend
No one said Cloud's broken. His limit is a poorly balanced mechanic that needs to be tweaked. I can't see Cloud as the most gimpable character with his air speed, although his non-limit recovery is bad for sure.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Falco's double jump plus pretty much all of his aerials. It's massive height gain in a short span of time with high active aerials and/or fast aerials. I blame Dair for the and/or. His rising aerials can be used as traps and even edgeguarding which FOW's been doing with Nair close to the ledge.
Oh, so rising aerials are for smearing a hitbox all up & down where a recovering character wishes to recover high. I assumed they were for something OoS or pressuring someone else's shield, or something. I see Sheik sometimes nair OoS and think, why not jabs or f-tilts?

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
If they do nerf/tweak Cloud's limit break, I hope they give him something in return, like give him a slight buff to his recovery. Some sort of equal exchange should be made, if he gets nerfed at all

:150:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
If they do nerf/tweak Cloud's limit break, I hope they give him something in return, like give him a slight buff to his recovery. Some sort of equal exchange should be made, if he gets nerfed at all

So do we buff Sheik and Rosalina a ton as well next patch? :^)

MordhauDerk

Smash Cadet
Cloud suffers from Little Mac syndrome. If his 2nd jump is gone off-stage. He is probably going to lose that stock. Plus no ledge-snap is really bad in Smash 4. One well placed D-Smash on the ledge can KO Cloud.
Honestly, I think :4cloud: is maybe top 20, but maybe not any better than that. But who knows, I've seen some interesting early ko set-ups using finishing touch, but they don't seem super reliable.

But only time and tourney results will tell.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I really don't like how people are really, really jumping the gun on Cloud, mainly because they main him and think he's the wonder child of sword fighter characters (no, that's Meta Knight). It's funny honestly, because he has so many attacks that can be punished by almost every character in the game. N-Air can be punished by a shield and a grab, U-Air can be mixed up, F-Air is unsafe on shield and can be air dodged, D-Air can be beaten by any roll and counterattack or a longer-reaching attack or projectile, F-Smash is doomed on shield, D-Smash is unsafe if the opponent shields, D-Tilt is not safe against shield and can be grabbed or Cloud can get hit out of it by many different D-Smashes. When you see that he can be easily punished, it is evident. But Cloud zealots will refute this evidence as false of course, if not most of it, despite it being true.

Cloud can be one of the easiest characters to edge-guard in this game by far and it's all thanks to him having only one recovery method and a linear path that most players would opt to go with him. It's actually not that hard to predict and punish Cloud's recovery at all. Since he doesn't cling to the edge, a character like Ganondorf can just U-Air, B-Air, F-Air or D-Air Cloud, and Cloud is doomed without Limit. In fact, one F-Tilt from Ganondorf is enough to doom Cloud, even if Cloud has his second jump, but no Limit.

Even without tournament results, however, Ganondorf has a positive MU against Cloud. Ganondorf is actually able to mix-up with Cloud's U-Air and unlike Cloud, Ganondorf's D-Spec, Wizard's Foot, kills extremely early on the non-meteor hitbox. So Cloud just really can't afford going for a U-Air like that. Cloud may have a better jab attack, but that can just be punished by Ganondorf's regular grab. Some of Cloud's attacks are almost as slow as Ganondorf's, if not slower than his attacks, bar U-Tilt. However, Ganondorf's endlag on attacks such as F-Smash and U-Smash are significantly faster than Cloud's, thus allowing Ganondorf to act out an attack earlier than Cloud.

Going to the slower-than attacks, Cloud's F-Air will NOT be able to beat Ganondorf's due to having 18 frames compared to Ganondorf's 14. Cloud's B-Air is also slower than Ganondorf's and cannot autocancel like Ganondorf's does, but these are simple facts you can look up on Kuroganehammer's website. Cloud and Ganondorf's grab data are exactly the same as well, only with Dash Grab and Pivot Grab's frame datas being reversed for the two.

Now even with Cloud's high ground mobility, now, Ganondorf can easily punish Cloud with grabs or various attacks thanks to some of Cloud's attacks having the disadvantage of coming toward the opponent when used. Where Cloud does NOT have a combo grab, Ganondorf does, and he can use it hard on Cloud for some devastating damage. And remember, at medium to high damages starting past 70% damage, if you're on the edge of the stage as Cloud and get hit by Ganondorf's F-Tilt, it won't matter if you have the second jump, if you don't have Limit, you're dead. Ganondorf can either follow up or you just went too low to recover.

Oh, and I wouldn't advise using any of Cloud's attacks such as F-Smash, D-Tilt or Cross Slash against Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, especially reversed. Cloud is actually a character who Ganondorf CAN use Warlock Punch reliably on and it's all due to Cloud's poor options against Ganondorf's Punch outside of grab.

From my experience against Cloud players, 3 specific characters who people may think are bad against him are actually very good against him and that's Falco, Link and Ganondorf. When you know how to actually not praise Cloud for his average prowess (seriously, his attacks are just average, only his N-Air is spectacular) and instead know how to punish him, it's going to be clear that he's an upper middle tier or lower high tier.

His recovery and frame data are to blame here. He might have good Limit tools, but if you only look at how poor he is without it, Cloud can be taken down a notch or two. He's not going to be another top tier or upper high tier sword fighter like Meta Knight, and he's not going to beat Ike nor Link. If anything, he's going to be directly below Link, but still above Toon Link.

Then again, you might call me wrong and refute my facts as false, when I actually know what I'm talking about.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I really don't like how people are really, really jumping the gun on Cloud, mainly because they main him and think he's the wonder child of sword fighter characters (no, that's Meta Knight). It's funny honestly, because he has so many attacks that can be punished by almost every character in the game. N-Air can be punished by a shield and a grab, U-Air can be mixed up, F-Air is unsafe on shield and can be air dodged, D-Air can be beaten by any roll and counterattack or a longer-reaching attack or projectile, F-Smash is doomed on shield, D-Smash is unsafe if the opponent shields, D-Tilt is not safe against shield and can be grabbed or Cloud can get hit out of it by many different D-Smashes. When you see that he can be easily punished, it is evident. But Cloud zealots will refute this evidence as false of course, if not most of it, despite it being true.

Cloud can be one of the easiest characters to edge-guard in this game by far and it's all thanks to him having only one recovery method and a linear path that most players would opt to go with him. It's actually not that hard to predict and punish Cloud's recovery at all. Since he doesn't cling to the edge, a character like Ganondorf can just U-Air, B-Air, F-Air or D-Air Cloud, and Cloud is doomed without Limit. In fact, one F-Tilt from Ganondorf is enough to doom Cloud, even if Cloud has his second jump, but no Limit.

Even without tournament results, however, Ganondorf has a positive MU against Cloud. Ganondorf is actually able to mix-up with Cloud's U-Air and unlike Cloud, Ganondorf's D-Spec, Wizard's Foot, kills extremely early on the non-meteor hitbox. So Cloud just really can't afford going for a U-Air like that. Cloud may have a better jab attack, but that can just be punished by Ganondorf's regular grab. Some of Cloud's attacks are almost as slow as Ganondorf's, if not slower than his attacks, bar U-Tilt. However, Ganondorf's endlag on attacks such as F-Smash and U-Smash are significantly faster than Cloud's, thus allowing Ganondorf to act out an attack earlier than Cloud.

Going to the slower-than attacks, Cloud's F-Air will NOT be able to beat Ganondorf's due to having 18 frames compared to Ganondorf's 14. Cloud's B-Air is also slower than Ganondorf's and cannot autocancel like Ganondorf's does, but these are simple facts you can look up on Kuroganehammer's website. Cloud and Ganondorf's grab data are exactly the same as well, only with Dash Grab and Pivot Grab's frame datas being reversed for the two.

Now even with Cloud's high ground mobility, now, Ganondorf can easily punish Cloud with grabs or various attacks thanks to some of Cloud's attacks having the disadvantage of coming toward the opponent when used. Where Cloud does NOT have a combo grab, Ganondorf does, and he can use it hard on Cloud for some devastating damage. And remember, at medium to high damages starting past 70% damage, if you're on the edge of the stage as Cloud and get hit by Ganondorf's F-Tilt, it won't matter if you have the second jump, if you don't have Limit, you're dead. Ganondorf can either follow up or you just went too low to recover.

Oh, and I wouldn't advise using any of Cloud's attacks such as F-Smash, D-Tilt or Cross Slash against Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, especially reversed. Cloud is actually a character who Ganondorf CAN use Warlock Punch reliably on and it's all due to Cloud's poor options against Ganondorf's Punch outside of grab.

From my experience against Cloud players, 3 specific characters who people may think are bad against him are actually very good against him and that's Falco, Link and Ganondorf. When you know how to actually not praise Cloud for his average prowess (seriously, his attacks are just average, only his N-Air is spectacular) and instead know how to punish him, it's going to be clear that he's an upper middle tier or lower high tier.

His recovery and frame data are to blame here. He might have good Limit tools, but if you only look at how poor he is without it, Cloud can be taken down a notch or two. He's not going to be another top tier or upper high tier sword fighter like Meta Knight, and he's not going to beat Ike nor Link. If anything, he's going to be directly below Link, but still above Toon Link.

Then again, you might call me wrong and refute my facts as false, when I actually know what I'm talking about.
Hmm, where to I begin? This multiple choice is boggling my mind:

A. Use ad hominems

B. Argue ad nauseum

C. Try and excute a non fallacious ad boculum.

D. Hope that everyone but me ignores this post and we move on with life.

I think I'm going to go with D on this one. I hope I get an A on this test because it was really hard to do.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Friendly reminder that Cloud has one of, if not, the absolute worst grab game in the cast. Dude has a sub par grab, no kill throws, and no throw followups past like 10%. Does this make him bad? Probably not. But give it time. The dude hasn't been out that long.
I think the title of 'absolute worst grab game in the game' would go to Jigglypuff. Cloud can at the very least keep them away so he can get more limit.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
You think :4falco: beats Cloud? Interesting.

I've been meaning to ask about the bird because I'm heavily considering him as a secondary. Is he any good against :4villager:? Much like how Ginko has a pocket :4mewtwo: for his anti-zoning prowess, I see similarities in Falco. I also discovered how much I love to box with opponents, and Falco's normals seem very good. Big 2 frame jab? Check. Excellent autocancel aerials in bair and up air? Check.

What are peoples' opinions of Falco? I know FOW has a pocket Falco for :rosalina: for some reason.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Oh, so rising aerials are for smearing a hitbox all up & down where a recovering character wishes to recover high. I assumed they were for something OoS or pressuring someone else's shield, or something. I see Sheik sometimes nair OoS and think, why not jabs or f-tilts?
That's one way of using it; abusing active frames like how Fox and Mario use their Dairs. The other way is putting out an aerial while moving quickly. Falco's capable of doing this since his double jump is high, so if you some how lost track of which jump he used/wasted and think you can just drift out, he can immediately double jump and hit you with Bair. Hitting above can happen too like inputting a slower aerial like Captain Falcon and Falco's Dair or Mario's Fair to have the startup happen during the rise meaning all you've done is position yourself to catch an opponent for a spike. Some characters actually want to do this so they don't have landing lag like Cloud doing a rising Fair or Dair. That way, you can immediately act as you land.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
You think :4falco: beats Cloud? Interesting.

I've been meaning to ask about the bird because I'm heavily considering him as a secondary. Is he any good against :4villager:? Much like how Ginko has a pocket :4mewtwo: for his anti-zoning prowess, I see similarities in Falco. I also discovered how much I love to box with opponents, and Falco's normals seem very good. Big 2 frame jab? Check. Excellent autocancel aerials in bair and up air? Check.

What are peoples' opinions of Falco? I know FOW has a pocket Falco for :rosalina: for some reason.
Falco is ok but his mobility bites him a lot. Against villager is heavily debated that it's falco favor slightly or even until falco is offstage and that mu when played right is pretty ground based and boring. As for Rosa he has better tools to kill luma then Fox does but gets pooped on because of Luma. I'm not Ffamran Ffamran who can rant and rave on his faults but he's ok. But against high tier he obviously gets pooped on and his disadvantaged state is bad and his side b lacking a full hitbox is annoying.

Also his blaster is so unsafe bop him for it. Also as much as i love his jab it's commitment city in terms of delays and his jab Is iffy to the point of 3-5 frames aerials and up b can bop when going into the jab ender. Also his reflector Is treated as a projectile and has a hurtbox on it for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Falco having a better MU than Cloud can be summed up as Falco having better frame data, better projectile game, immensely superior throw and combo game and the ability to edge-guard Cloud. Falco does have worse mobility, which may be good for Cloud, but Falco also has mostly better frame data and power toward his attacks. Not only that, but Falco can actually combo Cloud really fast and rack up very amazing damage.

Falco can't go against Cloud's U-Air, but he's one of the few characters who can beat Cloud's D-Tilt via D-Smash or D-Tilt. Falco might have to bait and punish some of Cloud's longer ranged attacks, often to perfect shield, but if Falco gets a grab in on Cloud, it can be very volatile to Cloud since Falco has U-Throw follow ups into U-Air, F-Air, B-Air and N-Air, and SOMETIMES D-Air, but only on certain damages.

Falco basically forces Cloud to approach with attacks, and with Cloud having poor jumping height, Falco can wail on him with his follow up attacks all the way off the stage. Cloud's poor recovery needs to be saved with Limit, because Falco is a character who will punish Cloud without Limit. That D-Air is very dangerous against Cloud's Climhazzard when recovering back on stage. Even Falco's N-Air and F-Air will take Cloud out quick as edge guard tools. And let's just say it'll be hard to KO Falco since he has the superior recovery methods.

Falco's mobility might not be spectacular, but at least it won't let him just simply run into Cloud's F-Smash. Falco having the slower mobility might actually be beneficial on ground game since he won't run into Cloud's attacks as often as you'd think. If Falco does, he can predict and make a shield to wait out and punish with a dash attack or D-Tilt depending on range.

So in the end, Cloud will have a tough time against Falco.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
If I have learned anything from this thread Larry, it's that acting like your opinions are fact is how you get a bad reputation.

EDIT: I forgot you're criticizing us for doing what you're doing, making predictions on a brand new character.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I honestly don't know about the mu with falco vs cloud to put a solid ratio but in my experience it's both characters do nasty things to each other but falco gets lit up faster and if he's forced to up b that's a free spike via fair or dair or stage spike with bair, nair or LB blade beam or cross slash. Also despite falco having slightly faster buttons up close cloud disjoint hurts a lot also when falco go for juggles he had to be on point otherwise cloud sticks a dair and gets denied kinda like in the villager mu. Also fun fact cloud can slide under the reflector and obviously lasers and like I said before his reflector has a hurtbox on it. I don't know who wins it but I won't be surprised if he poops on falco super hard in the mu but more testing needs to be done.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I cannot fathom how anyone can conclude or predict a weeks-old character loses or wins any matchup. Radical or conservative, still not something anyone should do. Also, with Limit Break making Cross Slash invincible from frames 6-11 and Climhazzard invincible from frames 5-12, have fun punishing Falco's jab.

Granted, "traditional" problems like Falco (and Fox, (Dr.) Mario, Luigi, etc.) having problems with disjoints is a valid thing to note, but it's not like he's going to auto-lose because of that or say, because Cloud's a fast faller, he auto-loses to all combo characters who also happen to be top to high tier.

Edit: Diddy has the dumbest Ftilt in the game. Why on earth does it have a clean hit and a late hit? The clean hit only has 1 active frame and does 10%! It's frame 10! The rest of it, frames 11-14, does 7%! It should just be a frame 10-14 move that does 8% or 9%! Why? Is this some kind of mystical monkey punch that kills at 90% like Zelda's Fair and Bair? Oh wait! Falco's got 2 active frames on one of the dumbest Bairs in the game! WHY? Anyway, carry on, everyone.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I get that drawing conclusions on a weeks old character is dumb, but why not attempt to consider matchups from what we know? The impression of an MU is still a talking point. Are we just supposed to ignore Cloud until he's a year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom