• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Why is there so much debate over how good x or y character would be without their best player? Every character would be worse in a world with their best player gone, even Sheik. This is a thread about character viability in our world, not alternate universes.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Of course we would still see Rosa as at least top 5-10 without Dabuz. Characters with less results than Dabuzless Rosa, such as Sonic, are still considered somewhere around top 5 because it's obvious that they are really good/have proven to be a top level threat. The only way Dabuzless Rosa would not be considered top 5 would be if people knocked top placements at Umebura, something we've already seen in regards to Rosa, and something we have consistently seen in regards to Villager.
Sonic is an interesting point since if you excised Dabuz's record the two characters have similar records iirc

But like I said, the Rosa stuff is an aside from my post that got out of hand. I agreed with the point Gheb initially made and expanded on it

How on earth are there people coming to the competitive impressions thread, saying, "Villager is not top 10," when all of the evidence is against them? The only way Villager wouldn't be considered top 10 would be pure theorycrafting and ignoring the fact that Smash 4 in Japan has been consistently in a Villager main's grasp for months. Of course Ranai is good, but he is a Villager main. He has gotten all of his results utilizing his skills through Villager, only because Villager is entirely capable of capitalizing on skill level and being able to be played optimally against the likes of optimal Sheik, Diddy, ZSS, etc. After months of dominance in a Smash hotbed and then 3rd at G3, still there is, "Villager is not top 10 because [theory]..." If such claims were suspect before, they are outright untrue now.
The only real way to argue that Villager is 11th/12th/etc at this point imo would be to say that 10 other characters have better records than Villager does which I don't really think is the case. Assuming Ranai doesn't crash and burn in the future he seems well into the top 10.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I could just imagine a translatator telling Ranai everything we're saying on here, and Ranai with a big grin on his face and saying (In japanease), "It worked. I got America to think Villager is top 10"

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In spite of Villager's grab game he has so many good spacing tools that imo make up for it in spades, + his stupid recovery and good edge guard options.
It really should be clear by this point that a lackluster grab game in any form (either from less-useful throws or the grabs themselves) is not a death knell for viability. Yes, it's a weakness, but as the likes of :4cloud:, :4fox: and :4ryu: have shown can be made up for if your other tools are good enough.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy here come the Ness comparisons.

More reliable kill options and (aerial) footsies, sure. But better zoning? Ness's PK Fire is very punishable and only really good for reads (and still isn't that hard to SDI out of unless you land right on top of it). PK Thunder, though generally better than Lucas's is still mainly used in advantage and edgeguarding and not neutral. Lucas has a zair, a much faster PK Fire that eats other projectiles due to having a hurtbox (and made much safer with wavebouncing) and PK Freeze allows him to bait airdodges (Din's Fire fumes with jealousy) thanks to it's really low endlag and speed. PK Flash by contrast is pretty much useless.
To clarify on this, PK Fire has this sort of auto-spacing property where Lucas looks like he gets recoil when shooting PK Fire from a wavebounce, making it that much more difficult to punish. The poke damage he receives might seem negligible compared to Ness' free grab (though Lucas has other grab confirms so this property would be rather broken on Lucas), but it still contributes to the approaching kill throw / is much safer due to firing horizontally from SH / will frustrate your opponent to hell and back.

Here's frame data to compare the two:

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Ness

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Lucas

Overall, Ness has arguably superior frame data with the crowning victory being his aerial autocancels, Fair in particular. Lucas has better tools to wall his opponents out and deal with projectile-based characters with the positioning / hitbox of Psi Magnet, Zair (snuffs projectiles), and PK Fire; I'd say that this gives him better matchups against :4tlink::4link::4villager::rosalina::4ryu: :4ganondorf::4charizard::4bowser::4dk::4mewtwo: but there isn't much top-level data to go by with these matchups (except HaKii vs Hyrule Hero; that looked like a convincing 60 / 40).

While Lucas' kill throws don't kill remotely as soon as Ness' Bthrow, they're all still contenders for some of the best in the game due to each and every one of them killing, and D-throw > Bair at the ledge is just... You feel bad. Like, downright ashamed of yourself.

On the subject of PKT, Ness' is better for kill confirms and as a combo tool, but Lucas' has the unique property of both invalidating airdodges with its lingering hitboxes and dragging the opponent with it; it can result in stage spikes or forcing a low recovery, which would be better if the endlag weren't god-awful, and at the very least is free safe damage against those with safe recoveries (you know who you are).

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Q for the Mario/doc players: which neutral B move is better, fireball or vites? And why?
Fireballs are like 2% better due to "followups" and because they fail less vs Sonic. They're both pretty horrible projectiles outside of edgeguards (which Doc capitalizes on better under any circumstance) and annoying people in midrange.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

To clarify on this, PK Fire has this sort of auto-spacing property where Lucas looks like he gets recoil when shooting PK Fire from a wavebounce, making it that much more difficult to punish. The poke damage he receives might seem negligible compared to Ness' free grab (though Lucas has other grab confirms so this property would be rather broken on Lucas), but it still contributes to the approaching kill throw / is much safer due to firing horizontally from SH / will frustrate your opponent to hell and back.

Overall, Ness has arguably superior frame data with the crowning victory being his aerial autocancels, Fair in particular. Lucas has better tools to wall his opponents out and deal with projectile-based characters and the positioning / hitbox of Psi Magnet, Zair (snuffs projectiles), and PK Fire; I'd say that this gives him better matchups against :4tlink::4link::4villager::rosalina: but there isn't much top-level data to go by with these matchups (except HaKii vs Hyrule Hero; that looked like a convincing 60 / 40).

While Lucas' kill throws don't kill remotely as soon as Ness' Bthrow, they're all still contenders for some of the best in the game due to each and every one of them killing, and D-throw > Bair at the ledge is just... You feel bad. Like, downright ashamed of yourself.

On the subject of PKT, Ness' is better for kill confirms and as a combo tool, but Lucas' has the unique property of both invalidating airdodges with its lingering hitboxes and dragging the opponent with it; it can result in stage spikes or forcing a low recovery, which would be better if the endlag weren't god-awful, and at the very least is free safe damage against those with safe recoveries (you know who you are).
Lucas is also stronger against :4ganondorf: due to his walling capabilities and being tougher to gimp.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I agree that Mario should be ranked above Pikachu but what is it that supposedly makes Mario better than Villager? I really don't see why that opinion is still so popular. If people are sceptical of Villager being top tier, top 5 or even top 8 and argue that he's carried too much by Ranai that's one thing.

But what has Mario done to still be considered better? Neither his results nor his matchups / theory really give much of a reason to think so.
:059:
I thought I rated Villager pretty high. Anyways..

Villager's close quarter's fighting takes quite a bit of effort to use effectively. I underrated the jab since I haven't seen it used on a post-shieldstun shield, but in general his moves have a fairly high FAF.

Villager can be pressured at diagonal angles. He's floaty, so he has to rely on getting down primarily with his aerials. Fair/bair are somewhat slow with poor landing lag and lloid rocket is easily punishable on startup, so there's nair and dair. Villager doesn't have the air speed to mess up opponents' spacing if they want to avoid those two moves.

Anti-projectiles characters and strategies keep Villager in line, even if he wins the MU. That could even be seen by the likes of G&W getting bucket and Rosalina. Even outside of specials, global options can deal with it well. Lloid rocket is vulnerable when it first comes out. If a villager meta comes about, there will be more advanced strategies against his projectiles for sure.

I was very impressed when I saw Ranai's edgeguards. To me, he seemed to be struggling until he could get those edgeguard situations. That made me see Villager in a better light.

I also may have some bias, since I play a character with disjoints and another character that's very similar to Villager and feel is somewhat close with Villager being a tier ahead. Even though not on the level of Ranai, I have also played MJG's Villager in singles/dubs and SS' Villager in dubs. I still think Villager has slightly better merits than Pikachu, who also had consistently stellar performances and seems to be getting better rep. Results are only a piece of everything. I have Ryu and MK pretty high even though they have less rep. Who knows how much they would have if their current forms were available on release.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.

Overall, Ness has arguably superior frame data with the crowning victory being his aerial autocancels, Fair in particular. Lucas has better tools to wall his opponents out and deal with projectile-based characters with the positioning / hitbox of Psi Magnet, Zair (snuffs projectiles), and PK Fire; I'd say that this gives him better matchups against :4tlink::4link::4villager::rosalina::4ryu: :4ganondorf::4charizard::4bowser::4dk::4mewtwo: but there isn't much top-level data to go by with these matchups (except HaKii vs Hyrule Hero; that looked like a convincing 60 / 40).

It would be really nice if Zair trued into Grab.

Until the official tier list comes out, I am pretty sure the current ones are formulated by placings.

Also, doesn't Villager invalidate most close range characters? I think he would destroy most low tiers, and characters like Ike, Cloud and Mario should, in theory, be counter picked by villager. Villager has the egde-guarding options against them, and since they are mainly close range with sub-par recoveries, villager should just completely wall them out.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace

Until the official tier list comes out, I am pretty sure the current ones are formulated by placings.

Also, doesn't Villager invalidate most close range characters? I think he would destroy most low tiers, and characters like Ike, Cloud and Mario should, in theory, be counter picked by villager. Villager has the egde-guarding options against them, and since they are mainly close range with sub-par recoveries, villager should just completely wall them out.
Villager gets destroyed by Megaman tho, Megaman destroys his Lloyd Rockets with pellets and deals a lot of pressure with them

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

Ike and Cloud's disjoints help them vs. Villager. I know that Ike can just dash attack Villager if he uses lloid rocket if he's in range on reaction, or just use an aerial if he uses it at a bad time in the air. Villager's fair and bair also get cancelled out by hitboxes, so Villager may get hit when giant swords are right in his face such as Ike's reverse nair or bair, even if the fair/bair came out. Close up, Villager hates jab and dtilt. Ike's recovery is good enough to get back vs. him, though he might take a hit if he has to mix up.

If Cloud's uair or nair beats Villager's dair, I have no doubt that Cloud wouldn't have significant problems vs Villager, even if he gets edgeguarded heavily. It's enough to avoid being countered by Villager at least, even if the MU is disadvantageous.

The MU may be tougher than I give it credit for at Ranai's level, but I think basic tool interactions suggest that the characters have answers to compete. No clue about Mario, not confident on going indepth with him.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Ike and Cloud's disjoints help them vs. Villager. I know that Ike can just dash attack Villager if he uses lloid rocket if he's in range on reaction, or just use an aerial if he uses it at a bad time in the air. Villager's fair and bair also get cancelled out by hitboxes, so Villager may get hit when giant swords are right in his face such as Ike's reverse nair or bair, even if the fair/bair came out. Close up, Villager hates jab and dtilt. Ike's recovery is good enough to get back vs. him, though he might take a hit if he has to mix up.

If Cloud's uair or nair beats Villager's dair, I have no doubt that Cloud wouldn't have significant problems vs Villager, even if he gets edgeguarded heavily. It's enough to avoid being countered by Villager at least, even if the MU is disadvantageous.

The MU may be tougher than I give it credit for at Ranai's level, but I think basic tool interactions suggest that the characters have answers to compete. No clue about Mario, not confident on going indepth with him.
I was surprised how much Ike's disjoints helped in that MU, particularly compared to the slog you have to go through vs him as Ganondorf. Ike can certainly get gimped, but it's not totally hopeless like Ganondorf, who should die if caught at any significant distance offstage. Ike probably loses, but I don't think he loses super hard to Villager or anything.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario and Doc explicitly have the advantage vs Villager imo, but I think Villager is better overall due to matchups vs Sonic, Diddy, and MK.

They can Cape or Nair slingshots, and have safer shield pressure and better damage racking (meaning they can force Villager to have to play from behind fairly consistently). Off stage Villager aerials are hard to deal with, but this matters less than him having trouble vs their strong frame data onstage.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Mario and Doc explicitly have the advantage vs Villager imo, but I think Villager is better overall due to matchups vs Sonic, Diddy, and MK.

They can Cape or Nair slingshots, and have safer shield pressure and better damage racking (meaning they can force Villager to have to play from behind fairly consistently). Off stage Villager aerials are hard to deal with, but this matters less than him having trouble vs their strong frame data onstage.
Being able to reflect slingshots with cape is huge theorycrafting. Sure cape is faster, but you would have to read a slingshot to actually land the cape, then they can just bait and punish because of the 34 FAF (34 frames to punish freely). Very situational.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Being able to reflect slingshots with cape is huge theorycrafting. Sure cape is faster, but you would have to read a slingshot to actually land the cape, then they can just bait and punish because of the 34 FAF (34 frames to punish freely). Very situational.
Note that Villager cannot actually rising slingshot the Mario Bros when they're on the ground, and his ground punishes are not that strong. It's not as hard as you're implying.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I was surprised how much Ike's disjoints helped in that MU, particularly compared to the slog you have to go through vs him as Ganondorf. Ike can certainly get gimped, but it's not totally hopeless like Ganondorf, who should die if caught at any significant distance offstage. Ike probably loses, but I don't think he loses super hard to Villager or anything.
To add onto this:

at the Ranai level Ike probably has a small disadvantage. When facing a villager below that level its pretty much an even MU. Villager really needs to be at the very top of his game to have a meaningful advantage against Ike. So many of his tools can just get shut down by Ike's sword. Lloid in particular Villager has to be super careful with.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really get why Lucas's PK Fire is any good. 9% is good, yeah, but 21 frames of startup, a faf of 53 and the projectile being outranged by most dash attacks (when used on the ground) severely holds it back. Beating other projectiles... Like, how many relevant projectiles does it beat? Loses to needles, Fox's lasers (IIRC), the Pits' arrows, the Mario's fireballs (most of the time due to the bouncing), Pikmin (IIRC) and a boatload of others I'm not aware of... Heck, let's include ZSS's side special, zair and grab because why not?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really get why Lucas's PK Fire is any good. 9% is good, yeah, but 21 frames of startup, a faf of 53 and the projectile being outranged by most dash attacks (when used on the ground) severely holds it back. Beating other projectiles... Like, how many relevant projectiles does it beat? Loses to needles, Fox's lasers (IIRC), the Pits' arrows, the Mario's fireballs (most of the time due to the bouncing), Pikmin (IIRC) and a boatload of others I'm not aware of... Heck, let's include ZSS's side special, zair and grab because why not?
It's a meh projectile but it forces people to not commit really hard when chasing him in midrange due to its safe retreat utility and that on hit, it gives Lucas stage control.

EDIT it directly beats attacks consistently due to the explosion.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's a meh projectile but it forces people to not commit really hard when chasing him in midrange due to its safe retreat utility and that on hit, it gives Lucas stage control.
You could just not commit... Nothing Lucas can do if you hover just outside of PK Fire range. If he keeps retreating he'll get backed into a corner, and his approach isn't any good either. Like, can't you just roll on reaction to him screeching PK Fire and punish?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You could just not commit... Nothing Lucas can do if you hover just outside of PK Fire range. If he keeps retreating he'll get backed into a corner, and his approach isn't any good either. Like, can't you just roll on reaction to him screeching PK Fire and punish?
That's why it's meh outside of the fact it's safe retreating.
Worth noting however it always beats attacks, unlike many non laser projectiles due to the explosion which still threatens to give Lucas stage control. This more makes Lucas annoying than scary when basically you can't completely disrespect his attacks in midrange.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
PK Fire also craps on Focus Attack, but other than that yeah, it's a tool used to frustrate the opponent and can't really convert from anything. Pretty lackluster. For the things it can't beat, there's usually Zair. When Lucas starts getting cornered, he has to choose carefully how to cross-up or engage in footsies.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
PK fire beats needles because it has a hurtbox

What makes it great against projectiles is that it explodes on contact. The opponent is essentially punished for throwing out a projectile in mid range

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
But now you're basically implying that I'm racist even though all I'm saying is that the 3rd best player in the world right now has a stellar tournament record (in comparison to almost anybody, American, Japanese, or otherwise) and it's definitely more impressive that the (good) tournament record of a guy in one region.
Sorry man, I didn't actually mean to accuse you of something like that. Was just messing with you and took it too far.

But yeah, I'm not sure why you're being stubborn about this. If I told you "there's a guy out there who at his last 3 tournaments placed 3rd / ~200, 4th / ~200 and 4th / ~400 [in Japan nonetheless], has such high-profile wins as Ranai and a top 4 Sheik player and has outplaced tons of international top level players ... you would eventually agree that we're talking about a top level threat here, right?

So uh, the claim that dabuz is the only one who is consistently bringing home top-notch results for Rosalina is wrong and so is the claim that she'd not be considered top 5 without him. That's all I really want to make clear.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
PK fire beats needles because it has a hurtbox

What makes it great against projectiles is that it explodes on contact. The opponent is essentially punished for throwing out a projectile in mid range
Unless the opponent is Link or Tink, who's Bombs just ignore the physics of projectiles one way or another and do random stuff on contact.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
At some point we need to make up are mind whether or not results matter. I'm personally frustrated with people trying to use personal skill as an excuse not to admit that they where wrong about what they thought of the character. People need to quit cherry picking which results matter or not.

:150:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Unless the opponent is Link or Tink, who's Bombs just ignore the physics of projectiles one way or another and do random stuff on contact.
Ness and Lucas don't want to PK Fire your bombs. They eat those. Nom nom nom.

At some point we need to make up are mind whether or not results matter. I'm personally frustrated with people trying to use personal skill as an excuse not to admit that they where wrong about what they thought of the character. People need to quit cherry picking which results matter or not.

:150:
Without results, all we have is theorycraft, so they do matter. But I feel like there's a hierarchy for competitive analysis where match analysis > placements > theory craft. It's why Cloud's early results aren't taken as seriously as they would be if they came from a character that's been here since the game's release. There are factors in competitive play that cause placements alone to be insufficient evidence for character viability beyond reasonable doubt.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
RE: :4mario:

This character actually has pretty good results spread across several players. Besides Ally getting top 8 or falling right outside of it, there's also Anti, who enters infrequently but has shown how terrifying this char can be.* Zenyou flopped hard at G3, but is frequently a threat to make top 8 in his own region. Then there's Ron, who's mostly WiFi** but managed to beat 9B in what is considered by many to be a rough MU.

I had him ranked 9th (IIRC), so it's not like I'm super enthusiastic about him, but he still does well enough that it's not obvious Villager & other characters frequently ranked in the low-A range should be above him based on results alone.

* I am referring to his BH performance, where he finished 4th and almost beat ZeRo in losers.
** Japanese WiFi is actually good though, and has produced numerous killers over the years. Also, KEN was ranked below him last I checked, and he has a tournament win and several top 8 finishes under his belt.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
RE: :4mario:

This character actually has pretty good results spread across several players. Besides Ally getting top 8 or falling right outside of it, there's also Anti, who enters infrequently but has shown how terrifying this char can be.* Zenyou flopped hard at G3, but is frequently a threat to make top 8 in his own region. Then there's Ron, who's mostly WiFi** but managed to beat 9B in what is considered by many to be a rough MU.

I had him ranked 9th (IIRC), so it's not like I'm super enthusiastic about him, but he still does well enough that it's not obvious Villager & other characters frequently ranked in the low-A range should be above him based on results alone.

* I am referring to his BH performance, where he finished 4th and almost beat ZeRo in losers.
** Japanese WiFi is actually good though, and has produced numerous killers over the years. Also, KEN was ranked below him last I checked, and he has a tournament win and several top 8 finishes under his belt.
Woo I get to talk about my Mario experience.

Mario is a nice character in this game. Sheik can become fodder to his combo game, he's got a good projectile that adds grounded pressure and is a key in low level play (Fireball to dash grab in FG.) Ally is very good with Mario (SEE: Ally vs ESAM @ SFW 9) and gets top 8 as you said.

However, he gets screwed in neutral by Rosaluma, and ZSS is pretty good with a better (?) projectile and more movement.

I think Mario is A tier, high A at least, but not S.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm pretty sure it's because I don't know the matchup as well as I should, but Mario's edgeguard game ****ed me over at yesterday's tourney and cost me GF. The guy I was fighting knows how to cover getup options to a tee, so I had to mix up my recovery so he didn't get a free hit while I recovered - unfortunately he saw through me and just kept up the FLUDD pressure and made me do some very stupid things. FLUDD on up-b shot me into the air and forced me to either try to make the landing on-stage (resulting in a u-smash kill) or go for the ledge (FLUDD and cape made that an impossibility). He knew I would be put into freefall if I risked up-b, so he forced me to try side-b. That worked for the most part, but he did get a cheeky Cape kill on me. Only once did he try a falling b-air, and I recovered from that no bother.*

Now I'm not saying Mario's edgeguarding is top-tier or anything, it's pretty underwhelming when you get right down to it, but it made me realise how you can't even take that for granted. Does anybody think this is an advantage he has over certain characters, or is it just my inexperience kicking me in the teeth?

* I should have recovered low instead of feeling the pressure, but I was frustrated by that stage. Hell, this guy is my brother, so he knows the best way to get into my head.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty sure it's because I don't know the matchup as well as I should, but Mario's edgeguard game ****ed me over at yesterday's tourney and cost me GF. The guy I was fighting knows how to cover getup options to a tee, so I had to mix up my recovery so he didn't get a free hit while I recovered - unfortunately he saw through me and just kept up the FLUDD pressure and made me do some very stupid things. FLUDD on up-b shot me into the air and forced me to either try to make the landing on-stage (resulting in a u-smash kill) or go for the ledge (FLUDD and cape made that an impossibility). He knew I would be put into freefall if I risked up-b, so he forced me to try side-b. That worked for the most part, but he did get a cheeky Cape kill on me. Only once did he try a falling b-air, and I recovered from that no bother.*

Now I'm not saying Mario's edgeguarding is top-tier or anything, it's pretty underwhelming when you get right down to it, but it made me realise how you can't even take that for granted. Does anybody think this is an advantage he has over certain characters, or is it just my inexperience kicking me in the teeth?

* I should have recovered low instead of feeling the pressure, but I was frustrated by that stage. Hell, this guy is my brother, so he knows the best way to get into my head.
If you're Pit I'm almost certain you can relatively safely shark the stage if he's overzealous with ledgetraps. Plus if there's platforms you can just...jump to them, and don't usually risk getting killed if he tries to go out of his way to punish this directly.

Getting to the ledge against Mario is easy. It's only really annoying to get back on if the stage is like FD imo.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
he's got a good projectile that adds grounded pressure and is a key in low level play (Fireball to dash grab in FG.)
Please don't say low level play when talking about a character's competitive viability. Also, can we really call Mario's fireballs good? They're slow to come out with a bad FAF, easy to powershield and punish, and overall puts Mario in a bad position onstage.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Ness and Lucas don't want to PK Fire your bombs. They eat those. Nom nom nom.
This. When I watched FOW VS Hyuga I saw a lot of bomb counterplay. He just catched the bomb, and ran away to use PSI Magnet or do flashy stuff like bomb into Uair. Many people don't do bomb counterplay.

Late to Link talk, but he just falls apart once he leaves Wi-Fi. Let's see what works in Wi-Fi and what will never work in real life.

1. Boomerang. Boomerang is opressive in Wi-Fi because it's harder to shield properly and punish. You feel it's a frame 3 move because of how much you get hit by it repeatedly. In real life it's a sluggish totally shieldable move that doesn't opress a fly.

2. Arrows. In Wi-Fi they go fast and really hard to shield and get through them with a boomerang around. In real life they are total garbage.

3. Recovery. In Wi-Fi Link recovers for free because most of the time you end getting hit by Spin Attack or an aerial returning due to the strict spacing and start-up timings of Wi-Fi. In real life Link I dare to say he is easier to gimp than Ness and Captain Falcon. His sluggish aerials, his brick falling speed and his sluggish air speed beg you for hitting him with aerials offstage until he dies. He will not come back, easy.

4. Dair. Dair in Wi-Fi is a combo breaker and it's really hard to react to. In real life it might as well be the easiest move to punish in the entire game. You can easily powershield it, wait for the bounce, and then dash grab when Link is suffering landing lag.

5. Jab/Tilts. In Wi-Fi Link getting jabs and tilts is free thanks to the atrocious shield and start up timings, feels like you are playing Ryu at times, and with his projectiles around it's hard to approach him and combat him close. in real life his jab is totally shieldable and totally easy to punish, it will never hit, period. His tilts are no good either. Link's projectiles don't protect him much, and with his sluggish mobility he won't run away anywhere.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Sorry man, I didn't actually mean to accuse you of something like that. Was just messing with you and took it too far.

But yeah, I'm not sure why you're being stubborn about this. If I told you "there's a guy out there who at his last 3 tournaments placed 3rd / ~200, 4th / ~200 and 4th / ~400 [in Japan nonetheless], has such high-profile wins as Ranai and a top 4 Sheik player and has outplaced tons of international top level players ... you would eventually agree that we're talking about a top level threat here, right?

So uh, the claim that dabuz is the only one who is consistently bringing home top-notch results for Rosalina is wrong and so is the claim that she'd not be considered top 5 without him. That's all I really want to make clear.

I took things a little bit too seriously and was out of line, sorry

But while I'm pretty sure her position would be more contested, regardless, I think it can be agreed that Dabuz has pushed her to pretty distant levels, right? Kirihara's done well, but Dabuz makes her look like 3rd best in the game and has a record that backs that idea up. Players can make characters look really stellar, even if it's a limited number. I was wrong that Dabuz was the "only" guy, but the point was that not a lot of people main Rosa yet she's considered to be really good.

So I think it's fair to elevate character positions based on how well one or two people do with that character if they consistently do really well.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One word: spacing. Short hop it and it pushes Lucas back some, making it harder to shield/side step/roll and punish. It a weird way, it works kind of similarly to a backwards zair if you get the timing down. It's one of his best defensive options.

I mostly agree with this. You have to be playing pretty predictably to get consistently hit by a cape slingshot. Long range, caping the slingshot is practically pointless because the distance it goes back gets cut but caping it point blank can reasonably kill but it pretty much needs a hard read if the other player isn't mindlessly spamming it.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So, opinions, for :4falco:. Nair or bair for efficient spacing?
Not the best thread for this, but I'd say space bair when they're at high percent, but not until. Bair is an amazing, threatening kill move and you don't want it stale. Nair isn't that great for spacing; it's best for low percent followups off of down-tilt or up-throw. Down-tilt is your best option for spacing btw, its hitbox is much bigger than its animation.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
So, what are the opinions on Bowser? Did the patch helped him at all, seeing his results on G3?
Bowser is obviously better than before, but many of his top level mains weren't present (and it's likely people didnt pick him up when Cloud was another option to pick up). Not only does Bowser now have a good throw, he has an amazing pivot grab and jab 1 into grab to go along with it.

He still gets tossed around as much in the air before, but now he's got easier punishes/killing/advantage. Not only does Uthrow -Uair kill, Uthrow -> whatever at low percents leaves Bowser in an advantageous state, ready to try to catch a landing.
On the subject of comboing him - while he's as big as any superheavy, he's the floatiest of them all and his airspeed is below average, but not bad.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Bowser is still pretty bad though. Everyone who puts him in high tier just because he got a throw combo doesn't know why Bowser is bad to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom