• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Falco is very slow on the ground and has poor horizontal air speed. Lil Mac can't really compare to other characters in terms of traits, he is very extreme. Also idk about you but I think Falco is better than Link; in any case they're all in the "not viable" pool of characters so it doesn't matter who is possibly above the other.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Alright, then Little Mac should be in top tier right?
Your whole Speed > Power argument is mostly invalid when you bring in characters like Falco and Little Mac, who are faster than Link but still considered lower in ranks.
Doesn't matter, look at the top tiers. His argument is supported pretty well.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Alright, then Little Mac should be in top tier right?
Your whole Speed > Power argument is mostly invalid when you bring in characters like Falco and Little Mac, who are faster than Link but still considered lower in ranks.
Well, you're not considering the glaring design flaws that go with the characters. Falco is seemingly a zoner who can't zone (lasers are honestly the worst projectiles in the game imo...unless we're bringing up final cutter's shockwave) and little Mac is an intentionally polarized character. We all see where piss poor air game gets you in smash because of him. Toon link and link are the only two compared because they both want to play the same game, but Tink is just better at it because of his greater mobility along with, I believe, better projectiles...could be wrong on that one though. Obviously Link has his strengths over Tink, but Fox has strengths over Sheik. Does that make Fox a better character? The reason why mobility and speed is better than strength is because strength usually comes with bad frame data and isn't safe on shield or in neutral. Mobility and speed gives you safer options for pressure and more options in every situation.

Edit: Falco is NOT a zoner. That's just me being me. To think that I actually used the character at one point (at least I was using him correctly :p). Anyways, still a bad character with bad mobility and kind of limited

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Well, you're not considering the glaring design flaws that go with the characters. Falco is seemingly a zoner who can't zone (lasers are honestly the worst projectiles in the game imo...unless we're bringing up final cutter's shockwave) and little Mac is an intentionally polarized character. We all see where piss poor air game gets you in smash because of him. Toon link and link are the only two compared because they both want to play the same game, but Tink is just better at it because of his greater mobility along with, I believe, better projectiles...could be wrong on that one though. Obviously Link has his strengths over Tink, but Fox has strengths over Sheik. Does that make Fox a better character? The reason why mobility and speed is better than strength is because strength usually comes with bad frame data and isn't safe on shield or in neutral. Mobility and speed gives you safer options for pressure and more options in every situation.
Falco is def nota zoner though he's the opposite lol. His boxing game is pretty solid. I honestly think he's super underdeveloped.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I honestly don't think Link's frame data is that much worse than Toon Link's attack wise, at least not in this game. Toon Link just has movement attribute advantages over weight and fall speed advantages.

Regardless, I still think Link is a heavily underdeveloped character. I don't think he's a poor character in the slightest and needs more people playing him.

Last edited:

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Falco is def nota zoner though he's the opposite lol. His boxing game is pretty solid. I honestly think he's super underdeveloped.
With that mobility? I knew his boxing game was good back when I used him a bit, but he didn't seem to have any approach or mobility to actually use that boxing game, so I felt as if Nintendo was trying to make him some sort of zoner. Either way, he's horribly undertuned as a character.

Last edited:

FimPhym

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-2129-8093
Mobility is king, eh? Rosalina and villager both look great to me. Rosalina is actually my favourite counter example to the common line that mewtwo being light, tall and floaty holds him back from being good or that smash characters need to be super fast to be good.

It's very much the case that fast characters are often strong in smash games, but that's more due to their weaknesses being strictly a pleasant sounding myth rather than a fact. Players push the boundaries with combos and set ups such that "deals low damage" or "has trouble killing" can be completely reversed. Meanwhile, no amount of skill is going to stop dedede being fat, slow and perfect.

I mean it's true that speed is correlated with being strong in this game, but the idea that smash favours mobility so top tiers will always be mobile yadda yadda is my least favourite ad hoc game design insight. I'm sure if heavies had been massively overtuned in past games there'd be a lot of reasoning about why being hard to kill and dealing guaranteed damage on high priority moves is always the best in smash.

Gimme 10 minutes with the smash 4 dev team and I can make sure no one ever wins another tournament with an "inherently good" fast mobile character. Enjoy your pichu-sheik.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
With that mobility? I knew his boxing game was good back when I used him a bit, but he didn't seem to have any approach or mobility to actually use that boxing game, so I felt as if Nintendo was trying to make him some sort of zoner. Either way, he's horribly undertuned as a character.
He has side b as a approach option that you should use sparingly. He's like a Luigi to me. Luigi does have a fireball which is vastly more useful than side b, side b is still an option. And his mobility problems are kinda overrate imo. And can't you shorten up his side b uses @Ffamran

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I honestly don't think Link's frame data is that much worse than Toon Link's attack wise, at least not in this game. Toon Link just has movement attribute advantages over weight and fall speed advantages.

Regardless, I still think Link is a heavily underdeveloped character. I don't think he's a poor character in the slightest and needs more people playing him.
If more people started playing him, they would see that Link has some really great things to offer as a character. Sadly, people would choose Toon Link over Link only DUE to mobility without seeing the entire spectrum of what Link offers. I'd rather pick a character with a superior combo game and a larger disjoint, a throw combo and better kill moves than a character with faster (weaker) attacks that is horribly affected by Rage. I'm a Link main because I actually stick with the character, and he does get me results compared to some of the other characters I play.

I'd rather have a character who breaks shields faster than a character who doesn't.
Would you want a 14% damaging F-Air or 24% damaging F-Air when both have the same start-up, but the latter can link into potential shield breaks?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Exactly what do you know about Japan to make such claims?

:059:
There's no way Taranito is on the same level as FOW or Shaky. He might have some notable wins, but he has also had some bad losses recently and seems to be on a downward trend (too lazy to look up specifics so hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me). I am not aware of another relevant Japanese Ness.It feels like Earth and Komorikiri had a higher opinion of Ness post G3, which should speak for the skill of FOW and Shaky relative to Japan's Ness players.

I honestly don't know if you're attacking ZSS with that comparison or you're just using her as an example to show they're both not overtuned.
He's just saying that Sheik doesn't show any signs of absolute dominance at the top level based on G3 results. This was during a discussion period where a lot of people were freaking out about how good Sheik was and whether or not she would kill the competitive scene in the long run (please don't start that discussion again D=).

He has side b as a approach option that you should use sparingly. He's like a Luigi to me. Luigi does have a fireball which is vastly more useful than side b, side b is still an option. And his mobility problems are kinda overrate imo. And can't you shorten up his side b uses @Ffamran
Can Falco's sideb really be used as an approach? It doesn't have a hitbox for the last 1/3~ of its animation, and you're basically just resetting to neutral if you hit them with the first 2/3 of the move. In contrast, Luigi's tornado puts the opponent in a juggle situation.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
There's no way Taranito is on the same level as FOW or Shaky. He might have some notable wins, but he has also had some bad losses recently and seems to be on a downward trend (too lazy to look up specifics so hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me). I am not aware of another relevant Japanese Ness.It feels like Earth and Komorikiri had a higher opinion of Ness post G3, which should speak for the skill of FOW and Shaky relative to Japan's Ness players.

He's just saying that Sheik doesn't show any signs of absolute dominance at the top level based on G3 results. This was during a discussion period where a lot of people were freaking out about how good Sheik was and whether or not she would kill the competitive scene in the long run (please don't start that discussion again D=).

Can Falco's sideb really be used as an approach? It doesn't have a hitbox for the last 1/3~ of its animation, and you're basically just resetting to neutral if you hit them with the first 2/3 of the move. In contrast, Luigi's tornado puts the opponent in a juggle situation.
His endlag is actually workable unlike Luigi if the opponent shields. And Side B's use as a approach is situational of course, it's nothing to spam out a lot like a normal move. Falco's most consistent approach option is walking/dashing towards the opponent.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I see it more as a cartesian plane split into four, killpower, range/disjoint, mobility, and a fourth one im still thinking about..maybe safety?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If more people started playing him, they would see that Link has some really great things to offer as a character. Sadly, people would choose Toon Link over Link only DUE to mobility without seeing the entire spectrum of what Link offers. I'd rather pick a character with a superior combo game and a larger disjoint, a throw combo and better kill moves than a character with faster (weaker) attacks that is horribly affected by Rage. I'm a Link main because I actually stick with the character, and he does get me results compared to some of the other characters I play.

I'd rather have a character who breaks shields faster than a character who doesn't.
Would you want a 14% damaging F-Air or 24% damaging F-Air when both have the same start-up, but the latter can link into potential shield breaks?
Wait, superior combo game?

While toon link can convert a combo off of nearly every hit confirm he gets from his projectiles...what can link do to compete again?

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

"X character is just underdeveloped" is one of the biggest excuses in the Smash community. Sure, it applies in certain situations (ie: newly added or recently bufed characters), but Link? A character who's been here since launch? A character who received major buffs a while back? Sorry, but it won't wash.

The character simply isn't that good.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

While toon link can convert a combo off of nearly every hit confirm he gets from his projectiles...what can link do to compete again?
Link can convert a kill and some unique combos off Bomb hit confirms with F-Air or U-Air and N-Air respectively, Link's D-Throw can link into U-Air, U-Smash or U-Tilt, Link can string multiple U-Airs, has D-Tilt > U-Air, N-Air (dirty, late) > F-Smash off roll as a tech read at higher damages and heck, his Boomerang is also able to link into combo confirms.

And these things happen with me on a day-to-day basis; I can perform them with the use of pin-point accuracy. Some I need frame perfect accuracy, others I can get for free.

"X character is just underdeveloped" is one of the biggest excuses in the Smash community. Sure, it applies in certain situations (ie: newly added or recently bufed characters), but Link? A character who's been here since launch? A character who received major buffs a while back? Sorry, but it won't wash.

He's justifiably center mid to upper mid tier at his worst and best.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

Characters can be not developed, Sheik for example is way more developed than Zelda. Does that make zelda good? No, does it mean she could get better? Maybe.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

it just takes a certain player to push that character forward. Everybody on this thread has basically expressed that they've "opened their eyes" to the power of toon link thanks to hyruga. Before, we were striking Toon link down with low damage output, easily powershieldable projectiles and bad disadvantage. Now, we're talking about kill confirms, all the damage he does and his bombs.

Villager was just seen as "good." We saw a character that was destroyed by sheik and rushdowns earlier, but due to ranai's performance, NOW we're talking about him being possibly top 5 or at least top 10.

If I learned anything from G3, it's that every character is far from being optimized.

I feel like I'm making a post that has already been said before. This is insane.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Characters can be not developed, Sheik for example is way more developed than Zelda. Does that make zelda good? No, does it mean she could get better? Maybe.
I don't doubt it, but I've seen too many users rely on "potential" in place of an actual argument.

"No, Y character isn't Low tier. We just haven't fully developed them yet."

This isn't a valid argument for most characters. You aren't actually saying anything of note here.

it just takes a certain player to push that character forward. Everybody on this thread has basically expressed that they've "opened their eyes" to the power of toon link thanks to hyruga. Before, we were striking Toon link down with low damage output, easily powershieldable projectiles and bad disadvantage. Now, we're talking about kill confirms, all the damage he does and his bombs.

Villager was just seen as "good." We saw a character that was destroyed by sheik and rushdowns earlier, but due to ranai's performance, NOW we're talking about him being possibly top 5 or at least top 10.

If I learned anything from G3, it's that every character is far from being optimized and who really knows?
It's different in this case. Unlike Link, Toon Link actually has results to back up claims of him being solid. Not to mention Hyuga's been doing pretty solid with TL for a while now. Nobody was paying attention.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Exactly. It makes perfect sense. "Why waste my time trying to develop the meta of an unviable mess like Zelda when I can be practicing and learning Sheik so I can win big money and bragging rights?"

No one (exaggeration.) is going to waste their time with characters like that.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Speed (frame data/mobility)>power in every case. See: Falcon>Ganon, Reptile being high tier in MKX, a game where characters lack mobility.

Mid range pressure and Bomb safety/conversions are real on Toon Link. Not so much on Link.
Speed does beat power, but by less in this game than previous games, and less than people on this thread think in general. Toon Link's probably only one tier above Link, Mario's like a tier and a half above Doc, and Falcon's only way above Ganondorf because Ganondorf's jab, grab game, and Wizkick are defective while the first two of these for Falcon are excellent and make the character work.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

If I learned anything from G3, it's that every character is far from being optimized and who really knows?
One of these days a certain Link player will make his stand like Hyuga did with Toon Link. It's only a matter of time.
We've seen this happen with Villager, Doctor Mario, Samus, Donkey Kong, Meta Knight, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi and Olimar, and now we see it with Toon Link. The only one considered very low tier still is Samus. I'm sorry, but it seems like we always do this. We just WAIT instead of TESTING!

Maybe we shouldn't just wait around for a player but instead try testing a character? But that can never happen...right?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Link can convert a kill and some unique combos off Bomb hit confirms with F-Air or U-Air and N-Air respectively, Link's D-Throw can link into U-Air, U-Smash or U-Tilt, Link can string multiple U-Airs, has D-Tilt > U-Air, N-Air (dirty, late) > F-Smash off roll as a tech read at higher damages and heck, his Boomerang is also able to link into combo confirms.

And these things happen with me on a day-to-day basis.

He's justifiably center mid to upper mid tier at his worst and best.
I highly doubt you string together uairs with link on a daily basis, if ever. With an FAF of 60? Get outta here. And that tech read situation won't work once your opponent learns to simply tech roll away from you.

Meanwhile toon link has utilt strings -> usmash/dair/fsmash, footstool combos out of utilt, Nair -> Nair, bomb -> fair/nair/bair/uair, boomerang -> fair/nair/bair/uair...

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
LMAO if you using it to approach your asking to get a fist or a sword up in your grill or grabbed. Walking and empty jumps to help closing the distance are your best friend most of the time. You can kinda use it to kill a forward roll by sh phantasm and maybe create a landing trap which is iffy cause of the hitbox on it or run off a ledge and hit them with side b immediately so that you can combo off it with uair, nair or fair but honestly that's it and no you cannot shorten it.

Last edited:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
"Underdeveloped" isn't synonymous with, "This character is secretly Melee Jigglypuff tier". It simply means that not enough time or effort is put into spearheading the character's meta relative to the rest of the cast. With the biggest roster in Smash to date and barely a years' worth of data post-release, this isn't surprising; only so many top players will pick mid - high tier characters due to whatever mindset keeps them from picking a top tier, be it character loyalty or simply not enjoying the playstyles of those on top. This is why characters below high tier are so difficult to place. While the likelihood of another Jigglypuff being found amidst the wreckage that is low tier is slim to none at this point, the underdeveloped characters can still go farther than they are now, even if not by much.

That said, you'd be hard-pressed to convince me that Link is better than Tink. Boomerang is an infinitely better projectile.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Mobility is king, eh? Rosalina and villager both look great to me. Rosalina is actually my favourite counter example to the common line that mewtwo being light, tall and floaty holds him back from being good or that smash characters need to be super fast to be good.

It's very much the case that fast characters are often strong in smash games, but that's more due to their weaknesses being strictly a pleasant sounding myth rather than a fact. Players push the boundaries with combos and set ups such that "deals low damage" or "has trouble killing" can be completely reversed. Meanwhile, no amount of skill is going to stop dedede being fat, slow and perfect.

I mean it's true that speed is correlated with being strong in this game, but the idea that smash favours mobility so top tiers will always be mobile yadda yadda is my least favourite ad hoc game design insight. I'm sure if heavies had been massively overtuned in past games there'd be a lot of reasoning about why being hard to kill and dealing guaranteed damage on high priority moves is always the best in smash.

Gimme 10 minutes with the smash 4 dev team and I can make sure no one ever wins another tournament with an "inherently good" fast mobile character. Enjoy your pichu-sheik.
Rosalina slow? Not really... Kurogane has her tied for best air acceleration and then literally average airspeed. (Also acceleration is basically +X every frame and not a % of a character's max just so we're clear.) Rosa's walk is also average but running is above average. In raw movement specs she's probably better overall then Pit! (Who makes up for it with the jumps and dash attack/grab but that's why I said raw movement specs.) I mean, hyperbole much?

The Mewtwo comparison also falls flat because his disadvantage is much worse then Rosalina's. Tied for third worst air acceleration, giant tail hurtbox, and significantly less weight.

There's a pretty good reason the speedsters always come out on top in Smash...

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
One of these days a certain Link player will make his stand like Hyuga did with Toon Link. It's only a matter of time.
We've seen this happen with Villager, Doctor Mario, Samus, Donkey Kong, Meta Knight, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi and Olimar, and now we see it with Toon Link. The only one considered very low tier still is Samus. I'm sorry, but it seems like we always do this. We just WAIT instead of TESTING!

Maybe we shouldn't just wait around for a player but instead try testing a character? But that can never happen...right?
Most of those characters either were always considered high tier since the WiiU launch (Pikachu, Villager, Mario), or were buffed into mid/high tier (DK, MK, Luigi). Just because some characters have had players who showed us how good a character is doesn't mean every character that's considered low tier will suddenly get high level players because you think they're awesome. TL was always considered mid mid tier to low high tier. The only other ones who said otherwise were arguing that Link was better than TL.

And, uhh...we aren't waiting for a player. Players generally suddenly appear and either do about as well as we'd imagine their character doing or make us tweak our opinions of them.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
about lucas' pkfire... its actually a pretty good projectile, although a lot of lucas players need to wavebounce it more. its a spacing tool so ofc youre not going to approach with it(lucas has a problem with approching in general imo :/ ) although wavebounced it can be used to fake out their reaction of your jump in whilst still being safe, its not the best projectile in the game, needles take that place by a long shot imo, but its a projectile that beats a lot of other projectiles, pushes you back to make it safer, is one of the(if not THE) best wavebounces in the game, bursts so it beats out hitboxes instead of clanking with them etc. is it the best move in the game? no ofc not, but its definitely not "mediocre"

as for lucas viability, i think what holds him back the most is the fact that his neutral being spacing with zair and pkfire when they hit... he gains % and thats it...(aka his neutral leads into more neutral) i sort of see lucas with a similar playstyle as zss except he doesnt have tools as good as: nair, bair, up b(and the ladder combos), down b and utilt. they have amazing reward off of grab but grab is a commitment, can space well with multiple options and have good aerial combos. the problem is, zss has safe options to lead into her aerial combos, lucas doesnt, zss has great aerials for air to ground, lucas doesnt(fair being his best option, but thats not completely safe, just very hard to react to afaik(tbh i need to integrate this move into my play more :/ )), an amazing kill option outside of grab, an amazing move to get out of disadvantage and a good way to pressure shield. lucas is definitely not a bad character, but he has some issues that hold him back, hes definitely not on the same level as ness :(

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452

Who are you exactly to make that claim? What you pretty much said was "Sorry, X is not that good. You're wrong and I'm right. You must think exactly the same as everyone else here or you're a dumb outcast that makes outlandish opinions and cannot be part of the group or be taken seriously".

You know, sometimes I'm not sure why I even bother with people here. If you have a differing opinion, you may as well go somewhere else on the site, because this thread is one giant circle jerk. Can't stand how everything has to be treated as "fact" here when the entire point of the thread is "theory".

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Obviously Toon Link is better than Link, but tons of people are listing bad reasons.

Someone said Link is bad at midrange as opposed to Toon Link, Link is good midrange. I've also seen like 20 times that, "Tink's bombs are better," without listing any reasons. This just seems like a big misconception. Link gets bomb fair that kills at the same percent as Tink's, same bombslide stuff, same traps, recovery buffs, OOS options, and many other combos. You cannot claim Link gets anything less than amazing from his bombs, and I've already seen in this thread that he gets nothing from bombs... He gets fair followers from Boomerang as well.

It's not at all ridiculous to say Link's combo game is at least almost as good as Toon Link's. Jab 1-2-smash (which is important), great utilt combos even when compared to Toon Link's (and off a throw, whereas Toon Link lacks a combo throw), same fair follow ups off bombs, etc.

Toon Link is clearly the better character but it isn't high tier Tink vs low tier Link. Toon Link is probably around upper mid while Link is around lower mid to upper low. The difference is not huge, and comparisons between the two characters go past just mobility (despite mobility being the biggest difference competitively between the two), it extends to Link's better edge guarding, midrange, etc.

It's also kind of frustrating seeing, "this character is simply not good," following up a post that gives no reasons or gives bad reasons. Look at what the character has and it's clear it doesn't come down to him being, "simply not good," when he has legitimately good things going for him, Europeans who do well with him...

He has a sucky disadvantage state, which sets Toon Link apart. That, mobility, and Toon Link's kill throw are probably three of the biggest factors in Toon Link being clearly better.

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Rosalina slow? Not really... Kurogane has her tied for best air acceleration and then literally average airspeed. (Also acceleration is basically +X every frame and not a % of a character's max just so we're clear.) Rosa's walk is also average but running is above average. In raw movement specs she's probably better overall then Pit! (Who makes up for it with the jumps and dash attack/grab but that's why I said raw movement specs.) I mean, hyperbole much?

The Mewtwo comparison also falls flat because his disadvantage is much worse then Rosalina's. Tied for third worst air acceleration, giant tail hurtbox, and significantly less weight.

There's a pretty good reason the speedsters always come out on top in Smash...
What massive tail hurtbox are you talking about for Mewtwo? That's a huge myth that's been going around for a while. This isn't Melee.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
...up b(and the ladder combos)...
Can you elaborate on this? Everything else you said makes sense, but I'm wondering how this is relevant to Lucas.

Who are you exactly to make that claim? What you pretty much said was "Sorry, X is not that good. You're wrong and I'm right. You must think exactly the same as everyone else here or you're a dumb outcast that makes outlandish opinions and cannot be part of the group or be taken seriously".
I mean, he has a point. Saying "this character is bad because they're underdeveloped" isn't a good perspective, it's just denying that a character is unviable because they may potentially be better in future. And while it's true that some characters did get better over time or move up in people's estimation, most either achieved that through patches (DK, Bowser, MK, Ike) or were already pretty good to begin with and just needed somebody to make a statement at an important event (Villager, Tink, Pit, maaaaybe Doc as a counterpick).

Now I'm not saying anybody in this thread is suggesting that that's the case (I think most of us accept that some characters are just bad because they're bad), I'm just pointing out that PK isn't wrong in saying that there's more to a character's viability than how developed they are. Development can embellish a character's fundamental abilities and get people to take notice if the results are good, but it should never be taken as a "get out of jail free" card for characters that just don't have the capability to win big.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Not really relevant with regards to the point I was making.

:059:
Since you were responding to someone who claimed Ranai doesn't get top level Ness MU experience in Japan, I thought the point you were making was that Japan did have top level Ness players. What is the point you were trying to make?

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
Can you elaborate on this? Everything else you said makes sense, but I'm wondering how this is relevant to Lucas.

I mean, he has a point. Saying "this character is bad because they're underdeveloped" isn't a good perspective, it's just denying that a character is unviable because they may potentially be better in future. And while it's true that some characters did get better over time or move up in people's estimation, most either achieved that through patches (DK, Bowser, MK, Ike) or were already pretty good to begin with and just needed somebody to make a statement at an important event (Villager, Tink, Pit, maaaaybe Doc as a counterpick).

Now I'm not saying anybody in this thread is suggesting that that's the case (I think most of us accept that some characters are just bad because they're bad), I'm just pointing out that PK isn't wrong in saying that there's more to a character's viability than how developed they are. Development can embellish a character's fundamental abilities and get people to take notice if the results are good, but it should never be taken as a "get out of jail free" card for characters that just don't have the capability to win big.
sure, its a great oos option which can kill extremely early, i forgot to mention oos options in my post but its also something which lucas doesnt shine in, and is just a great killing move in general, especially with the ladder killing at ridiculously early %s. i didnt mean the recovery aspect of it if thats what it seemed like :/ just a good oos killing option, something which makes zss more threatening than lucas

Megamang

Smash Lord
Speaking of weaknesses, i wanna talk about fox's supposed weakness to shields. His grab game seems pretty above average to me. His really rapid pummel refreshes your moves at lightning speed. His throws get you in an awkward position and do decent damage. And his ledge option coverage is insane, so a quick toss offstage is pretty likely to result in a kill. Bair into utilt is totally safe shield pressure.

I could go on. He seems fine vs shield, am i missing something?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
And, uhh...we aren't waiting for a player. Players generally suddenly appear and either do about as well as we'd imagine their character doing or make us tweak our opinions of them.
Really? You expect me to believe that?

There are people who are waiting on someone to rise Link up. And you can't simply just imagine how well the person can do, because you do NOT know this player if they just suddenly pop up. And tweak your opinions? Yeah, I can tell you that this "tweaking" has always been like, "Ooh, Doctor Mario was whipped out in one match and won? Immediate middle tier!" While I exaggerate it, it's somewhat true.

If we did it like such--every character should be tested thoroughly, put in more tournaments and not left out the dust--then would we not see certain characters rise up or fall with better accuracy? As of now, we're still nowhere nowhere near knowing the meta like we should be, because we're still uncertain on some characters or we believe a character is bad because they don't show much, if any, results and have "poor frame data". If Link suddenly got whipped out in a major or national and either placed top 8 or won, I'm willing to bet you that people will say that he's secretly a high tier.

Waiting should NOT be an option in this meta. Instead, can we just not wait and actually attempt to do something? And don't say we don't wait, because we absolutely do wait.

I'm just waiting for that "low or mid-tier" character to prove my point truly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom