• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Really? You expect me to believe that?

There are people who are waiting on someone to rise Link up. And you can't simply just imagine how well the person can do, because you do NOT know this player if they just suddenly pop up. And tweak your opinions? Yeah, I can tell you that this "tweaking" has always been like, "Ooh, Doctor Mario was whipped out in one match and won? Immediate middle tier!" While I exaggerate it, it's somewhat true.

If we did it like such--every character should be tested thoroughly, put in more tournaments and not left out the dust--then would we not see certain characters rise up or fall with better accuracy? As of now, we're still nowhere nowhere near knowing the meta like we should be, because we're still uncertain on some characters or we believe a character is bad because they don't show much, if any, results and have "poor frame data". If Link suddenly got whipped out in a major or national and either placed top 8 or won, I'm willing to bet you that people will say that he's secretly a high tier.

Waiting should NOT be an option in this meta. Instead, can we just not wait and actually attempt to do something? And don't say we don't wait, because we absolutely do wait.

I'm just waiting for that "low or mid-tier" character to prove my point truly.
People who want to succeed as players want to pick the safe choices and don't want to be the guy to risk trying something new, and most of the ones that do want to try advancing a character's metagame usually lack the skill required to break high enough at national tournaments. It's a bit of a catch 22.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Regarding Rosalina's average run/walk speeds:

Her fantastic ranged burst options + the way she zones in general + her top tier fox trot and pivot movement/attack options... these all diminish the relevance of her ground speed.

No character with this much range has the combination of an amazing dash attack (disjoint, hurtbox manipulation, quickness [frame 6], distance covered) amazing RAR'd bair range, 3-frame Luma upair, and 3-frame Luma nair that all work together to cover most angles. She easily has the best overall burst range:quickness ratio of any of what I'd consider true sword characters.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I'm surprised we've gone this long talking about the potential (or lack thereof) of characters in Smash, and no one mentioning Amsa.

Amsa almost singlehandedly moved Yoshi in Melee 6 places up the tier list to "12th best."

No, Yoshi has not turned out to be a secret high tier. No, Yoshi has not won any tournaments in the US (I think Amsa's won some in Japan?).

Do we think his efforts were useless or unfounded because he didn't push his character up to the top? At the very least, he has given us a clearer image of what Melee looks like and what Yoshi can do.

If a person is working towards not necessarily getting #1 but wanting to help paint a more accurate image of what Smash 4 looks like, are we accusing them of being non-competitive?

Before Scatt was making Top 8s with Mega Man, I remember everyone starting to really get down on Mega Man. Oh, all of the evidence is against him. He has too many critical bad matchups. If people listened to the naysayers then no one would push their characters. Heck, why are you even playing when most people realistically don't have a chance of beating ZeRo, whether or not they use a top tier? Is there perhaps some other motivation in addition to just the raw desire for a W next to your name?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Jerm's a good player, but I'd still give the title of "best Robin in NA" to Dath. Jerm ate way too much damage getting back on stage, and his on stage presence is definitely weaker than Dath's.

Here are better examples of that matchup being played at high level [1] [2]
No offense to those sheiks, but it seemed like they were just obviously worse (or played the matchup worse) than Karna. I was just handing the title to Jerm since he was the highest placing Robin at G3, but I'll settle for "arguably".

Yikarur

Smash Master
it's funny that people are claiming that Toon Link is far better than Link.
But for real. Like 200 pages ago (or even in the last thread) everyone was saying that Link is better and when I tried to convince people that Toon Link is better I got basically laughed at.

And now people have forgotten already as if Toon Link was always considered better than Link.

People in here forget fast.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, opinions, for :4falco:. Nair or bair for efficient spacing?
Please head over to the Falco boards for this: http://smashboards.com/forums/falco.496/. Specifically, ask here next time: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-king-of-the-birds-game-play-discussion.367184/. Also, read the stickied threads, please. They're stickied for a reason. :)

Short answer is Ftilt and Dtilt for ground, Bair for low aerial, and Nair for high aerial. NEVER use Fair. People are only getting away with it because people still don't understand that it has a landing hit and why should it? The animation does not show that. Falco's Fair landing hit is a disgusting hitbox that needs to be removed. Anyway, once people realize that it has 25 frames of landing lag and they should just shield it all the way, it's punishable even if you drift out since the most commonly used and well-placing characters have above-average ground speed against Falco's poor overall movement speed.

Falco is def nota zoner though he's the opposite lol. His boxing game is pretty solid. I honestly think he's super underdeveloped.
Yes, he's an anti-zoner by design - good close-range, a projectile to play at range, and a reflector to counter projectiles -, however, he fails at that when he's limited to being incapable of offensively challenging (Blaster) zoners and reliant on defensively challenging (Reflector) zoners. Both having high recovery compared to other offensive and defensive (anti-)zoning tools hurts. Also, moving slow hurts too when other anti-zoners tend to be fast like Fox and the Pits or have better projectiles to challenge at range like Dr. Mario, Lucas, Ness, and maybe even Luigi.

He has side b as a approach option that you should use sparingly. He's like a Luigi to me. Luigi does have a fireball which is vastly more useful than side b, side b is still an option. And his mobility problems are kinda overrate imo. And can't you shorten up his side b uses Ffamran Ffamran
Smash 4 removed the ability to shorten any of Falco and Fox's Side Specials. Why? I don't know. They should have just shortened Falco Phantasm if they weren't going to bother giving it a full hitbox and why should they when it's the longest spike in the game. It's weak, it's telegraphed, but it covers a huge amount of range which even with half its range, is really difficult to balance and stupid in modes like FFA and 2v2 and up. They should have just given him (a variant of) Wolf Flash if they wanted to kept the idea Falco spikes with his Side Special or just make a better-tuned Falco Charge or Phase the default. Hell, a horizontal Fast Fire Bird could work too. Also, Illusion should be doing more than 3%... It did 7% in Melee, 4% in Brawl, and now? 3%. I get it being "spammable" and 7% might be too "much", but what was wrong with 4%? Why you gotta bring a pilot down?

As Gamegenie222 said, Falco Phantasm is not an approach option. This isn't Fox and this isn't Brawl Falco. All you have to do is move back or stand back to hit him. There is absolutely no threat when Falco uses Falco Phantasm to recover or move forward when it only has a hitbox on half its distance. Approaching with Falco Phantasm is like approaching with an uncharged Quick Draw if Quick Draw didn't have a hitbox in front or a complete one. People need to understand which I still don't know why since both Illusion and Phantasm have the same travel distance, is that Falco's does not have a hitbox for the last half and everyone should know how the Star Fox characters' Side Specials work by now considering how prolific Fox is. If you know the distance, then you should never panic shield; you should also hard punish him.

Regarding Rosalina's average run/walk speeds:

Her fantastic ranged burst options + the way she zones in general + her top tier fox trot and pivot movement/attack options... these all diminish the relevance of her ground speed.

No character with this much range has the combination of an amazing dash attack (disjoint, hurtbox manipulation, quickness [frame 6], distance covered) amazing RAR'd bair range, 3-frame Luma upair, and 3-frame Luma nair that all work together to cover most angles. She easily has the best overall burst range:quickness ratio of any of what I'd consider true sword characters.
Adding, Rosalina in my opinion, along with Greninja, Sheik, Toon Link, Yoshi, and ZSS have the highest overall movement speed in the game. For Greninja, Sheik, and ZSS, it's the highest overall movement speed in the game as fast fallers. DK would be a runner-up for this since his air acceleration is slightly below-average. For Rosalina, Toon Link and Yoshi, it's the highest overall movement speed as floaties. The runner-up for that would be... Ehh... Wii Fit Trainer? She's kind of near the middle ground, though. I don't count Sonic since he's average fall speed which I'd rather have him, Mario, Marth?, Mewtwo, and Ryu in. Still iffy about Mewtwo since his air acceleration is really poor compared to say Yoshi's whose air acceleration, 0.068, is just slightly below-average. Cloud's also another one for fast fallers, but I don't know the exact numbers for his meter stats.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
You know, sometimes I'm not sure why I even bother with people here. If you have a differing opinion, you may as well go somewhere else on the site, because this thread is one giant circle jerk. Can't stand how everything has to be treated as "fact" here when the entire point of the thread is "theory".
If you have an opinion that goes against the grain, someone will contest you. Fire back, but do it properly. Don't complain about how this thread is a circle jerk because this is how this thread has operated from the very beginning.

If you're just going to make nebulous statements like "Regardless, I still think Link is a heavily underdeveloped character. I don't think he's a poor character in the slightest and needs more people playing him" people will call you out on it.

Don't be so lazy. Back up your arguments with actual tangible points. Tournament results, footage from high level players, etc... anything is better than "Well, I think Link's good."

And if you can't even commit to just that, then you'd be better off ditching this thread.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
it's funny that people are claiming that Toon Link is far better than Link.
But for real. Like 200 pages ago (or even in the last thread) everyone was saying that Link is better and when I tried to convince people that Toon Link is better I got basically laughed at.

And now people have forgotten already as if Toon Link was always considered better than Link.

People in here forget fast.
Really? Because, looking through this thread (before Genesis), everybody except for about three people agreed that TL > Link.

Eh...look at the previous viability threads we've had.
I did. General consensus was still TL > Link.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Speed does beat power, but by less in this game than previous games, and less than people on this thread think in general... Falcon's only way above Ganondorf because Ganondorf's jab, grab game, and Wizkick are defective while the first two of these for Falcon are excellent and make the character work.
  • How is Wizkick defective? It was in Brawl, where the hitbox didn't extend to his foot but as far as I know that was fixed. Aside from that Falcon's and Ganon's down specials exist to counter different things: Falcon's on the ground, Ganon's in the air.
  • I think Falcon being better than Ganon has less to do with his jab and grab game and more to do with his far superior mobility (third best dash speed, great air speed, higher jumps, two frames faster jumpsquat). All these things allow Falcon to convert off of his hits better, including DThrow (though there are probably a few mechanical differences with their DThrows too). Having a faster, better jab and a better grab/throw game (including greater reach on his grab, geez) would help but Falcon would still be significantly above him.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Really? Because, looking through this thread (before Genesis), everybody except for about three people agreed that TL > Link.
Besides, what can Toon Link do that "Link can't do" that I don't know about?
It's like the whole Pit vs Dark Pit thing, and it should only boil down to preference over anything.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
It's like the whole Pit vs Dark Pit thing, and it should only boil down to preference over anything.
.....Toon Link and Link are completely different characters lmao, every single move has different properties, range, damage, knockback angles, etc.
Comparing them to Pit and Dark Pit is ridiculous.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
What can Toon Link do that Link can't?

Follow-up off projectiles for kills a lot more effectively.
Juggle
Play a real mid-range game

I think you basically ignored Hyuga playing at G3, or you're playing your usual troll game.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
People in here talking about characters "being underdeveloped" or "having potential" as a reason for the character's tier placements being too low like that isnt obvious... problem is, you can literally say that about ANY character, so it isnt a valid argument to prove that character has the tools to be as high as they would like.

And its not like people arent trying to develop these characters and push their meta, its prob people jumping to conclusions and thinking "these characters' tools arent seen on big streams so they dont exist", or "these characters arent placing as high as they would have liked". Its likely why people get so hype over what an under-represented character can do when there are many players of that character that have known about these tools for a while.

And maybe characters cant show their "potential" because, hmm idk... the characters are booty-buttcheeks.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
  • How is Wizkick defective? It was in Brawl, where the hitbox didn't extend to his foot but as far as I know that was fixed. Aside from that Falcon's and Ganon's down specials exist to counter different things: Falcon's on the ground, Ganon's in the air.
  • I think Falcon being better than Ganon has less to do with his jab and grab game and more to do with his far superior mobility (third best dash speed, great air speed, higher jumps, two frames faster jumpsquat). All these things allow Falcon to convert off of his hits better, including DThrow (though there are probably a few mechanical differences with their DThrows too). Having a faster, better jab and a better grab/throw game (including greater reach on his grab, geez) would help but Falcon would still be significantly above him.
Wizkick is punishable on hit at low percents and almost never kills. Ganondorf needs it to be strong because it's his only way to cover back rolls. Of course mobility matters but Falcon would be trash with Ganondorf's jab and grab range. Even with his mobility it would be like grabbing with Little Mac. He would still be able to combo off of Dthrow at least, but his neutral would be trash even with his mobility, because otherwise his frame data isn't great and his hitboxes are worse than Ganondorf's. I'm not saying that mobility isn't more important than power, I'm saying that Ganondorf without certain crucial tools being glaringly underpowered would only be around one tier below Falcon, especially considering that Falcon's jab/grab are essential for the character to even be functional at a competitive level.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Besides, what can Toon Link do that "Link can't do" that I don't know about?
Comparing the two in my head, the only moves of Link's I would possibly want as Toon Link are NAir (maybe, I know TL's NAir works well into his combos), grab and DThrow, and DAir (again, only potentially, since a big reason Link's DAir works is because his fast fall speed is insane, and it's not like either ones' DAir is a critical part of their moveset).

Toon Link's kit is rather cohesive and it works well. Obviously Link's range is enticing, but it comes at a cost of commitment, something that hinders Link.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

Juggle

I think you basically ignored Hyuga playing at G3, or you're playing your usual troll game.
I watched Hyuga play at G3 when I was at a different tournament the same day, playing Link.

And hey, guess what, Link can follow up off Bombs into F-Air and U-Air.
Link can also juggle; do you not remember his D-Throw setups?
So what if Toon Link can play a mid-range game? Link plays an all-around range game. He sacrifices the longevity of duration for speed and range.

Comparing the two in my head, the only moves of Link's I would possibly want as Toon Link are NAir (maybe, I know TL's NAir works well into his combos), grab and DThrow, and DAir (again, only potentially, since a big reason Link's DAir works is because his fast fall speed is insane, and it's not like either ones' DAir is a critical part of their moveset).

Toon Link's kit is rather cohesive and it works well. Obviously Link's range is enticing, but it comes at a cost of commitment, something that hinders Link.
How is it that hard to commit with Link? I'd like to know that.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
I'm sorry, did you just call that...all-around range game?

For a character who is literally unthreatening out of sword range?

Next I'm gonna hear Ganon's threatening at mid-range. But I digress.

Link can follow-up off Bombs, but Toon Link 1-ups you by being able to set up traps with Boomerang, both hits, and bombs creating frame traps, his better mobility lets him cross-up and get throws which grant actual rewards.

Early percent bombs lead into up-smash, which works back into up-tilts which start juggles on fast fallers. In comparsion, Link gets...One aerial and has to reset to his...in your words 'All-Around Range game' Next I'm gonna hear down throw up-air at kill percents is a guaranteed combo, I swear.

Toon Link's bombs also lead into DI mix-ups, which lets him get either his extremely good up air, or if you DI away, he gets a guaranteed f-air, which you just DI'ed closer to the blast zone for, kinda like against Sheik when you're in range for a F-Air kill and they don't have to work for an up-air.

Also

Link

Speed

In the same sentence.

Excuse me, I can't take it anymore. I gotta laugh.

For the below post, because I don't want to make a new post.

Both things that I said are both unbelievably stupid so I made a workable comparsion.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
How is Wizkick defective? It was in Brawl, where the hitbox didn't extend to his foot but as far as I know that was fixed. Aside from that Falcon's and Ganon's down specials exist to counter different things: Falcon's on the ground, Ganon's in the air.
Defective isn't the word I would use to describe Wizkick. Defective implies the move doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Wizkick does do what it's supposed to do, it's just absolute turbotrash at it. Undertuned doesn't even begin to describe it, Wizkick is underunderunderunderunderunderUNDERtuned. It has more endlag than Ganon's F-smash and does half the damage at best with pitiful knockback.

Ganondorf can actually exert acceptable pressure on shields, and In rolls and Spot Dodges both risk eating an F-smash because lol active frames, but for Backrolls Ganon only has Wizkick, and it just isn't good enough at that niche.
Next I'm gonna hear Ganon's threatening at mid-range.
????????

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Next I'm gonna hear Ganon's threatening at mid-range. But I digress.
Ganon is threatening at mid-range. It's the only range he's threatening at. Inside of aerial/Dtilt range he gets outboxed, and obviously he's unthreatening at long range. Link for that matter is much more threatening at midrange than Tink because of better, safer sword moves and an actually threatening grab. All Tink has are projectiles.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Wizkick is punishable on hit at low percents and almost never kills. Ganondorf needs it to be strong because it's his only way to cover back rolls. Of course mobility matters but Falcon would be trash with Ganondorf's jab and grab range. Even with his mobility it would be like grabbing with Little Mac. He would still be able to combo off of Dthrow at least, but his neutral would be trash even with his mobility, because otherwise his frame data isn't great and his hitboxes are worse than Ganondorf's. I'm not saying that mobility isn't more important than power, I'm saying that Ganondorf without certain crucial tools being glaringly underpowered would only be around one tier below Falcon, especially considering that Falcon's jab/grab are essential for the character to even be functional at a competitive level.
I'd rather play Falcon competitively with Ganon's jab and grab than Ganon competitively with Falcon's jab and grab. I admit that the latter would be blessed to have that jab but I can't see the grab being a significantly bigger threat when Ganon's run speed is bottom 5. It'd help, sure, but it wouldn't be a game changer.

Falcon still has his BAir, dash attack, and the ability to run away to help maintain his lead. His current dash grab is cheesy but Ganon's dash grab range is at leas Lt better than Mac's and Falcon could still use his speed to nab landings with it. It would just take a little more precision.

I could be wrong and underestimating the value of his jab. But his mobility is such a big draw competitively that I'd rather take that than Ganon with a better jab if I was picking the better character. I usually use Ganon anyway though.

I don't think grounded Wizkick is meant to kill. I tried to explain it in my previous post but I think Falcon Kick killing on the ground and not the air, and Wizkick being the reverse is a deliberate design choice to differentiate the characters and moves. Being punishable on hit at low percents is unfortunate but hardly unique, it's a curse that any number of attacks with low base knockback and bad FAF have. Villager's FTilt and Game & Watch's FAir for two examples.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ganon is threatening at mid-range. It's the only range he's threatening at. Inside of aerial/Dtilt range he gets outboxed, and obviously he's unthreatening at long range. Link for that matter is much more threatening at midrange than Tink because of better, safer sword moves and an actually threatening grab. All Tink has are projectiles.
Mid-Range is when you're out of attack range, but you're in range to threaten with things like mix-ups and empty jumps.

Tell me, how does Ganon threaten you at mid-range.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382

Juggle

I mean, Link can do most of this stuff too. His Bomb and Boomerang Followups aren't as easy too perform, but they still exist and are very potent as kill setups (ie Boomerang to Fair, Bomb to Uair). His juggle game is pretty good too since he can trap landings with Utilt / usmash, as well as with his long last aerials such as Uair and Nair. Several of link's moves such as boomerang, bombs and espicially his grab are also good enough to allow him to "play a real Mid range game"

My real question here is why people are trying so hard to prove Link is worse than Toon Link. For the most part, it really isn't adding anything valuable to the discussion since this claim is commonly accepted by the community.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Meant to add this to my previous post but forgot, heh.

How is it that hard to commit with Link? I'd like to know that.
Get this into your head:

Link is not fast. Link is slow.

He's got a few relatively fast attacks (a DSmash that powerful that's Frame 9 is pretty nice). But for the most part his moves are slow to come out and have substantial recovery time. Jab is frame 7. Generally if a character has a jab slower than frame 4 it's considered slow (and even that's pushing it). His tilts are slow. His dash attack is horribly slow but it's essentially a mobile smash attack so it makes sense. His grab is slow. NAir and BAir are pretty quick but even his jump is slow at 7 frames. Link sacrifices speed (both startup and recovery) for damage and range. His movement speed doesn't really lend itself to running away to reset a situation; his kit is designed to get opponents away with big, arcing attacks. Unfortunately it's not enough to keep him in the game when the top tiers have dangerously fast attacks and can quickly bridge the space between his moves and his hurtbox.

Defective isn't the word I would use to describe Wizkick. Defective implies the move doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Wizkick does do what it's supposed to do, it's just absolute turbotrash at it. Undertuned doesn't even begin to describe it, Wizkick is underunderunderunderunderunderUNDERtuned. It has more endlag than Ganon's F-smash and does half the damage at best with pitiful knockback.

Ganondorf can actually exert acceptable pressure on shields, and In rolls and Spot Dodges both risk eating an F-smash because lol active frames, but for Backrolls Ganon only has Wizkick, and it just isn't good enough at that niche.
Sarcastic answer: that's why you ledge cancel it, to reduce endlag.

How would you recommend salvaging the move then? It sounds more like the issue is endlag rather than damage output/knockback. I could see reducing that a bit (I didn't realize there was such a gap between the hitbox ending and the FAF). I mean, I see the move as a burst option for Ganon to help catch retreating foes. It's not great at it but it does do it. With reads, can't dash attack (which is more rewarding on hit anyway) and Flame Choke also connect? Ganon's a pretty read-based character anyway.

I used Ganon a lot in Brawl but haven't as much in Smash 4, so I'm not as well-versed in how he plays as I'd like to be.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I'd rather play Falcon competitively with Ganon's jab and grab than Ganon competitively with Falcon's jab and grab. I admit that the latter would be blessed to have that jab but I can't see the grab being a significantly bigger threat when Ganon's run speed is bottom 5. It'd help, sure, but it wouldn't be a game changer.

Falcon still has his BAir, dash attack, and the ability to run away to help maintain his lead. His current dash grab is cheesy but Ganon's dash grab range is at leas Lt better than Mac's and Falcon could still use his speed to nab landings with it. It would just take a little more precision.

I could be wrong and underestimating the value of his jab. But his mobility is such a big draw competitively that I'd rather take that than Ganon with a better jab if I was picking the better character. I usually use Ganon anyway though.

I don't think grounded Wizkick is meant to kill. I tried to explain it in my previous post but I think Falcon Kick killing on the ground and not the air, and Wizkick being the reverse is a deliberate design choice to differentiate the characters and moves. Being punishable on hit at low percents is unfortunate but hardly unique, it's a curse that any number of attacks with low base knockback and bad FAF have. Villager's FTilt and Game & Watch's FAir for two examples.
Granted Falcon's grab in particular wouldn't help Ganondorf as much as it should since Ganondorf wants standing grab range more than dash grab range, but still under the circumstances you described Ganondorf would absolutely be the better character, mostly because Falcon's jab is his bread and butter. Even if some of his aerials are safe on shield, he no longer has the CQC to really follow up on it, and has to retreat instead of having the option to keep up the pressure, similar to Link. Falcon can't punish nearly as much with a worse grab range, and if his DA clashes with anything he gets bodied by anyone with decent frame data. Ganondorf on the other hand can now punish reasonably well out of shield, jab to stuff OOS options, cover ledge options better, and stuff approaches and clash with projectiles. Ganondorf now has a useful spotdodge thanks to his quick frame 3 option, while Falcon does not thanks to a slow frame 8 one. Falcon's aerials are still strong, but his aerial mobility isn't on the same level as his ground mobility, and his other grounded tools are much less safe, so not being able to do much on the ground limits the usefulness of his mobility.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Except that's a missconception. They aren't just harder to perform, they take strict circumstances and commit to make them happen. Committing with Link, with slow moves, low mobility and poor recovery, makes this very scary. Toon Link, instead, gets the freedom to decide when he wants to commit for a kill confirm, as he also has one of the best kill throws for back throws, has multiple options for killing that are real options to work with, so the opponent has way more things to worry about than against Link, and because TL's Boomerang is how it is, he can use it to set up traps or pressure shields with the backwards hit, which still set-ups into aerial kills. Bombs are exactly the same, but Toon Link can do Z drop aerial bomb pick-up mix-ups leading to pressure, something Link just can't do.

Link's Boomerang doesn't lead into a mid-range game. It's a simple power shield. A frame 14 dash grab won't threaten anyone either in the mid-game, even with how long it is even at frame 12, it's still slow. Even worse, it's a frame 12 standing grab with FOURTY-FIVE frames of lag.

45 frames is a very long time for a whiff punish.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Link's down-throw is interesting. A few weeks back I spent a few hours with a friend to test potential follow-ups.

It's weight dependant but still has unusually high cool down for a combo throw; the lightest fighter forces Link to suffer ~20 frames of cool down after launching. Heavier fighters such as Mario force ~28 frames. With a jump-squat of 7 frames, poor mobility and aerial start-up I've not been able to replicate his down throw KO confirms with DI away, especially since you can air-dodge before your hitstun is fully over.

From what I tested... if Link wants to down-throw, jump and up-air a mid-weight it'd take ~50 frames with use of buffering and a rising aerial. I'd like to know if Link really does have legitimate KO set-ups from this.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Definitely no kill setups from Link's dthrow, and in general many characters avoid Link's combos past maybe an utilt.

Lol Mario766 Mario766 frame 14 tether dash grabs don't threaten anyone? You are looking at a frame data dump and not actual experience.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Link's down-throw is interesting. A few weeks back I spent a few hours with a friend to test potential follow-ups.

It's weight dependant but still has unusually high cool down for a combo throw; the lightest fighter forces Link to suffer ~20 frames of cool down after launching. Heavier fighters such as Mario force ~28 frames. With a jump-squat of 7 frames, poor mobility and aerial start-up I've not been able to replicate his down throw KO confirms with DI away, especially since you can air-dodge before your hitstun is fully over.

From what I tested... if Link wants to down-throw, jump and up-air a mid-weight it'd take at the very least 46 frames with use of perfect buffering and a rising aerial. I'd like to know if Link really does have legitimate KO set-ups from this.
No.

We've looked into it here, there's your answer.

Frame 14 dash grab won't threaten anyone when you're in mid-range and they have to hard commit for a grab with a huge cooldown.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Definitely no kill setups from dthrow.

Lol Mario766 Mario766 frame 14 dash grabs don't threaten anyone? You are looking at a frame data dump and not actual experience.
:4zss:(also if Link actually did have a kill confirm from dthrow he would absolutely be better than Tink)

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Except that's a missconception. They aren't just harder to perform, they take strict circumstances and commit to make them happen. Committing with Link, with slow moves, low mobility and poor recovery, makes this very scary. Toon Link, instead, gets the freedom to decide when he wants to commit for a kill confirm, as he also has one of the best kill throws for back throws, has multiple options for killing that are real options to work with, so the opponent has way more things to worry about than against Link, and because TL's Boomerang is how it is, he can use it to set up traps or pressure shields with the backwards hit, which still set-ups into aerial kills. Bombs are exactly the same, but Toon Link can do Z drop aerial bomb pick-up mix-ups leading to pressure, something Link just can't do.

Link's Boomerang doesn't lead into a mid-range game. It's a simple power shield. A frame 14 dash grab won't threaten anyone either in the mid-game, even with how long it is even at frame 12, it's still slow. Even worse, it's a frame 12 standing grab with FOURTY-FIVE frames of lag.

45 frames is a very long time for a whiff punish.
Samus wishes it was only 45 frames lol ;)

Rizen

Smash Legend
There's so much misinformation about Link here :facepalm: You know we have an in-depth guide to all things Link.
http://smashboards.com/threads/link...rmative-quotes-can-be-found-in-the-op.379659/
Including an extensive guide to Dthrow on every character.

0% to 20%: U-tilt.
30%: U-smash.
40% to 70%: Dash U-smash.
80% to 100%: Aerial Up-B.
Beyond: FH Uair.
0%: ZSS can avoid U-tilt with DJ to airdodge, airdodge, or Flipkick.

10%: U-tilt is unavoidable regardless of DI. U-smash can only be avoided by DIing behind Link at which point it's a simple matter of DJing out.

20%: As above except U-smash can only be avoided by DIing behind Link then either DJing and immediately airdodging, or Flipkicking.

30%: As above except now U-smash is unavoidable regardless of DI as well.

40%: FH Nair is unavoidable and FH Bair is only unavoidable if ZSS DI's behind Link (and if you jump backwards Bair can combo into Aerial Up-B or DJ Bair). U-tilt and U-smash can be avoided by simply DIing away in front of Link, though U-smash will still easily work if Link dashes forwards briefly first.

50%: As above.

60%: As above.

70%: As above except now Aerial Up-B is unavoidable. FH Uair can only be avoided by DIing away from Link. Also U-tilt is out of range, and FH Bair is no longer a thing.

80%: As above except U-smash is now out of range too.

90%: As above except FH Nair can be airdodged.

100%: As above.

Beyond, Uair only. Both Up-B and Uair can be airdodged from 110% onward but Uair eats airdodges.

Here at the Link metagame thread we're not banging rocks together.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Sarcastic answer: that's why you ledge cancel it, to reduce endlag.

How would you recommend salvaging the move then? It sounds more like the issue is endlag rather than damage output/knockback. I could see reducing that a bit (I didn't realize there was such a gap between the hitbox ending and the FAF). I mean, I see the move as a burst option for Ganon to help catch retreating foes. It's not great at it but it does do it. With reads, can't dash attack (which is more rewarding on hit anyway) and Flame Choke also connect? Ganon's a pretty read-based character anyway.

I used Ganon a lot in Brawl but haven't as much in Smash 4, so I'm not as well-versed in how he plays as I'd like to be.
Ganon can't always ledge cancel in every situation where he reads back roll. Ganondorf actually can't catch many back rolls with DA/Choke unless they start it right next to you. Otherwise they're just barely out of range. Because he's a read based character he needs actual reward off his hits, and so Wizkick needs respectable reward so that opponents actually need to fear predictably rolling away, which they generally don't if they've got good recovery. It affects Flame Choke techchases as well as landing traps significantly, and specifically matters in the Sonic MU a lot for catching them after they use spring. Making it powerful to compensate for the risk makes the most sense given Ganondorf's character design.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Toon Link sacrifices pure power in his zoning tools, this is clear.

But, when his Boomerang is active in both release and return, his bomb explosion hitboxes are larger, and his jump and double jump heights and fall speed enable him to throw three of those projectiles at once in any order, Tink is capable of forcing you into a specific zone a lot easier. Link's arrows are faster and can score chip damage within that zone, but having the same endlag as Tink's arrows means Link can't capitalize on it further outside of pure mental dominance over the opponent. Meanwhile, Tink has mobility to sneak in, force gut reaction rolls or whatnot, and punish with Usmash, Nair, another Bomb, and so on, and threaten with Fair and more Usmashes and Uairs (a Uair that is aided moreso by Tink's aforementioned jump specs) as the opponent scrambles to get back into neutral.

Tink is capable of getting advantage, and keeping that advantage going, with his mobility and floaty nature. Hitting the opponent in the air, and pulling another Bomb to capitalize on their landing, is not an uncommon occurrence. Meanwhile, Link can score higher damage output with his zoning, but then he has to start at square one because he doesn't have the mobile speed, in air hangtime or otherwise, to keep it going from there.

Think of it as a roulette table. Every time Link makes a correct decision, the table is cleared completely and reset. Every time Tink makes a correct decision, that particular spot is eliminated, meaning the table now has less options for Tink to choose, and thus a greater chance to guess right again. If Link can keep choosing the correct choices, then yes, he'll get the KO easier than Tink can. But, Tink has the insurance in the form of his larger Bombs and mobility to rig the system in his favor and get the KO more decisively.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
It looks like we'll be here for a while, so we might as well bring out actual results to compare the two characters. Cross-examining the Sheik / ZSS matchups should be a good place to start.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vilD7l9xa5U

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tl7NR2kU6Dw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJGw98nLzg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zAF84YHllnI

From the footage, what I've gathered is that Tink's mobility allows him to dictate the pace into the match where the opponent is playing the cat chasing the mouse game through a maze of projectiles. This also allows him to utilize platforms better for traps due to his aerial mobility and throwing the bomb downwards. Speaking of bomb, run-with-bomb is a legitimate strategy that Link can't replicate very well; being able to maneuver around the stage can bait the opponent into throwing out hitboxes as opposed to power shielding his projectiles, making confirms into Fair, Uair, and Usmash even easier. The return on the boomerang also isn't as telegraphed when moving about the stage, and it can serve as a godsend hit confirm and a surprisingly good combo breaker and get-out-of-jail free card.

In comparison, Link is rather grounded in his zoning game, which is dangerous when facing characters who have the mobility to break through his zoning and beat out his CQC / midrange. He has a hard time keeping characters off of him once they get in, and it's easier to get in on him compared to Toon Link because of mobility.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Look, I just use Link for Link. If I'm not allowed to play the character I've enjoyed my life, then put me in a skewer and roast me until I'm dead. But at least I'll go somewhere in the pursuit of getting better with Link or actually giving a lot of what Link has and doing my best with him.

Is Toon Link better? Maybe so. Does that mean I'm changing to him? No, because he's just too weird of a character for me to effectively use; I'd use Link for familiarity and mastery instead of starting with Toon Link.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Look, I just use Link for Link. If I'm not allowed to play the character I've enjoyed my life, then put me in a skewer and roast me until I'm dead. But at least I'll go somewhere in the pursuit of getting better with Link or actually giving a lot of what Link has and doing my best with him.

Is Toon Link better? Maybe so. Does that mean I'm changing to him? No, because he's just too weird of a character for me to effectively use; I'd use Link for familiarity and mastery instead of starting with Toon Link.
But no one was asking you to switch...

Didn't we just have a few posts talking about how different people play smash for different reasons?

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Kofu Kofu Decreasing Wizkick's endlag doesn't really work though. Since it's hitbox starts so long before it ends, hitting a shield would still be very unsafe even if the move ended like, 10 frames after the hitbox, which would already be ridiculous in a bunch of other ways. Even then, it would still be totally nonthreatening to be hit by.

In the context of Ganon's moveset, which revolves around using the threat of powerful, but committal, moves to limit the opponents options, Wizkick's issue is that there's no threat to it whatsoever. As is, you can Back Roll all you want against Ganon, and he has to juggle chainsaws while riding a unicycle on a boat in a hurricane to make you stop. Boosting it's damage and knockback considerably would do a lot for it and for Ganon as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom