• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Competitive Impressions - Tourneys, Tiers, Theories, Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I just included him because he was projected to advance from this pool in losers bracket, so he is likely the second or third seed for this pool. My friend eliminated him at EVO, so I have no illusions about his skill level. I feel that The Wall and Raptor are the two best Yoshis in NA.

Some of the bracket projections are very strange. For instance, Stark (NorCal rank 17) got a seed while Sean (NorCal rank 9) didn't and got put into one of the most stacked round 1 pools (Sean seems to have slipped through the cracks as far as NorCal seeded players go). A player called FMAX from Oregon is projected to advance, whereas Oregon's second ranked player Justice wasn't given a seed. League of Legends live balance team member Scarizard also got a seed, which I found both amusing and bemusing.
Even though Sky doesn't have results I don't doubt that he's good. Genesis will be a good indicator of who's the best imo. iRJi will also be there who's another good Yoshi. With all this rep hopefully one of us can make a dent.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As far as I know, he picked up Rosalina to defeat Ness players easily when he played Pacman.

I have seen Shaky and Taranito beat some Rosalinas, but they weren't major ones and the matchup still looked as bad as any match with Dabuz in it. The bolded part:

How to gimp Ness 101:
Gravitational Gimp (a 1 button press that absorbs PKT then Ness dies): :4lucas::4gaw::4ness::rosalina::4villager::4miigun:(custom)
Reflected/Windboxed (can go out, use a reflector/windbox, Ness dies): :4darkpit::4drmario::4falco::4fox::4greninja::4mario::4mewtwo::4pit::4zelda:(I think, so far nobody has gimped me like this) :4link: (Gale Boomerang shenanigans) Every custom move in existence, they are to many to mention.

Countered (explains itself): :4corrin::4myfriends::4lucina::4palutena::4peach:(I think):4feroy::4shulk::4miisword::4marth:

Item/Projectile ( they throw things offstage until he dies): :4bowserjr::4diddy::4drmario::4duckhunt::4link::4mario::4megaman::4gaw::4olimar::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm:(I think) :rosalina:(Star Bits snipe bad jumps) :4samus::4sheik::4sonic::4tlink::4villager::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4miibrawl: (tight but it can work) :4dedede:.

Raw (They go out, throw out aerials, he dies): :4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4darkpit::4cloud::4dedede::4dk::4diddy::4drmario::4ganondorf::4greninja::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4lucas::4luigi::4marth::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4gaw::4olimar::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm::rosalina:(Doesn't need GP, just Dair) :4ryu::4samus::4sheik:(Just like she does to everyone else) :4shulk::4sonic::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss::4miisword:.
I'd say this is a gross exaggeration because Ness is not totally helpless coming back. His aerial mobility and second jump are pretty good, he has an air stall, and he has reliable aerials to protect himself while coming back. It should also be mentioned that he can purposely hit a wall, bounce off, and then do PKT2 again in this game to mix things up. A good number of these characters would be putting themselves at a huge risk trying to actually go out and hit him, especially if the Ness player sees it coming. I'd argue that there's only a handful of characters that have enough methods to reliably gimp Ness without risking a full blown PKT2 to the face or an aerial counter:

:4lucas::4mario::4megaman::4olimar::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4villager:

A lot of the characters you mentioned have to have precise aim with specific projectiles or practically throw their whole body at him to stop him. :4falcon::4charizard::4cloud::4drmario::4duckhunt::4ganondorf: :4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4marth::4robinm::4feroy::4shulk:are put in really bad positions if they botch the gimp thanks to their recoveries, :4bowserjr::4bowser::4dedede::4dk::4mewtwo::4rob: are big targets, :4diddy::4fox::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4metaknight::4gaw::4pikachu::4tlink: are likely to die from a point blank PKT2 as low as 50-60% offstage if they mess up, :4falco::4greninja::4lucario::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4ryu::4zelda::4zss:have much better options on stage against him, and :4darkpit::4luigi::4pit::4sonic::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi: have to practically throw their bodies at Ness to stop him with most of their options. As the saying goes: easier said than done.This isn't to say it isn't impossible to gimp Ness but it's far more risky for most of the cast than you let on. Ness ain't no Little Mac.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I'd argue that there's only a handful of characters that have enough methods to reliably gimp Ness without risking a full blown PKT2 to the face or an aerial counter:

Add :4ryu: to that, he can Focus through PKT and dash cancel double jump Shoryuken to recover, and if he misses he can armor through PKT2 and live.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
and :4darkpit::4luigi::4pit::4sonic::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi: have to practically throw their bodies at Ness to stop him with most of their options. As the saying goes: easier said than done.This isn't to say it isn't impossible to gimp Ness but it's far more risky for most of the cast than you let on. Ness ain't no Little Mac.
Wario can ledge crash the bike and throw it at him.

Not the most reliable, but if he has the time, it's a strong option.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
@Yonder You said Cloud is the best swordsman in the game? Um...nah, he's probably the in-between guy of Ike and Link, and even if he does go a bit above Ike, both Pit and Dark Pit, as well as Meta Knight, with the former two technically being swordsmen, are better than Cloud. Don't go off into a whim and forget about them. Cloud's still in the 20 range for me, and I still think he's a bit misunderstood; give us until around Bayonetta and Corrin's release and we'll see how he is.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Uh...Sonic and WFT have projectiles they can just drop into the path of PKT2 and chop the distance off.

Ness isn't easy to gimp unless you can reliably overpower his aerials and floatiness. If you can tackle his airdodge, ANYONE can easily gimp the Up B.

People look at Up B/Side B options in a vacuum and declare a recovery bad, but its not all about distance or ledge snaps. Having a good Uair/Fair/Bair and a good airspeed helps your recovery alot more than a good up B.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
I'd argue that there's only a handful of characters that have enough methods to reliably gimp Ness without risking a full blown PKT2 to the face or an aerial counter:

:4palutena: & :4peach: have a few reliable ways to gimp Ness. Palutena's reflect can move Ness out of the way of PK thunder thanks to the wind box on the move. I'm not sure if Bair clanks or beats Ness's up b but it will not loose if timed correctly meaning Ness's distance will either be halved or he'll be tossed back for another edge guard. I'm not sure about Palutena, but I do no Peach's counter can easily send Ness flying backwards and possibly kill if he hits peach. Also Peach could throw turnips at Ness from a safe distance to send him farther from the stage, but I'm uncertain on if the distance will be shortened by any turnip.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
If you can tech, throwing yourself into PK Thunder 2 actually is effective. It cuts its distance in half iirc.

:150:

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
I can certainly attest to that. In addition, it does a ton of damage and has electric effect so it's super easy to DI into the stage. I mean, I do play Link so I could probably just throw a bomb or something, but I just prefer the lazy man's Ness gimp.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I can certainly attest to that. In addition, it does a ton of damage and has electric effect so it's super easy to DI into the stage. I mean, I do play Link so I could probably just throw a bomb or something, but I just prefer the lazy man's Ness gimp.
I just like D-Tilting at the right moment.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Hydro Pump has enough range that Greninja never needs to place himself in the range of PKT II to gimp Ness so there's really no risk in doing it. Sounds pretty reliable to me.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Seconding that gimping Ness with Greninja's Hydro Pump isn't so risky. Once he's locked into PK Thunder he's usually gone. The harder part is knocking him out of his double jump/forcing him to commit to PK Thunder when recovering.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
assuming you are close to the ledge, if you take ness double jump, he should be dead in most cases really. the difficulty is in making him lose that doublejump (against competent ness players anyway) as it goes a good distance, along with a good airdodge and he has good aerials to punish you if you get too greedy :/ and it can also be dificult to react quickly enough to mixups of going for pk thunder without using the doublejump(thats where counters and just jumping into it help ;) )

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
fun fact about the PK Boys:

Apparently their airdodge dips into the Z-axis on a couple of stages. I know Duck Hunt is one of them, but I can't remember the other one atm.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Duck Hunt is a 2D stage and doesn't have a Z-axis.
Oh. Derp.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure it was @SiLeNtDo0m that confirmed this a while ago. I can't seem to find the Twitter thread of convo where I asked him about it. I know he said it happens on two stages, and I thought Duck Hunt was one of them. My bad.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Why does it matter what stage it's on (on stages other than DH)?

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
I haven't had too much trouble stopping PKT with :4pit: using Guardian Orbitars to screw around with the Upb.

It's more difficult stopping a full on PKT2 with him, though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd say this is a gross exaggeration because Ness is not totally helpless coming back. His aerial mobility and second jump are pretty good, he has an air stall, and he has reliable aerials to protect himself while coming back. It should also be mentioned that he can purposely hit a wall, bounce off, and then do PKT2 again in this game to mix things up. A good number of these characters would be putting themselves at a huge risk trying to actually go out and hit him, especially if the Ness player sees it coming. I'd argue that there's only a handful of characters that have enough methods to reliably gimp Ness without risking a full blown PKT2 to the face or an aerial counter:

A lot of the characters you mentioned have to have precise aim with specific projectiles or practically throw their whole body at him to stop him. :4falcon::4charizard::4cloud::4drmario::4duckhunt::4ganondorf: :4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4marth::4robinm::4feroy::4shulk:are put in really bad positions if they botch the gimp thanks to their recoveries, :4bowserjr::4bowser::4dedede::4dk::4mewtwo::4rob: are big targets, :4diddy::4fox::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4metaknight::4gaw::4pikachu::4tlink: are likely to die from a point blank PKT2 as low as 50-60% offstage if they mess up, :4falco::4greninja::4lucario::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4ryu::4zelda::4zss:have much better options on stage against him, and :4darkpit::4luigi::4pit::4sonic::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi: have to practically throw their bodies at Ness to stop him with most of their options. As the saying goes: easier said than done.This isn't to say it isn't impossible to gimp Ness but it's far more risky for most of the cast than you let on. Ness ain't no Little Mac.
If we're talking about gimping his PK Thunder, Dark Pit can do it for free with Electroshock. Even if Ness attempts to do some crazy thing like using PK Thunder as a barrier, Dark Pit will deflect (not reflect, the one time it's helpful too) it in a way Ness won't be able to even aim himself sideways back at the stage, if not right into him at the completely wrong angle.

Guardian Orbitars aren't terribly risky either, because if they break it nullifies the hitbox of PK Thunder's launch.

And of course, Pit's arrows can clash with PK Thunder's projectile and kill it. Harder then it sounds because the tail just kills the arrow, but probably the safest way to gimp him this side of Gravitational Pull.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You'd think Ness would be less prominent if his recovery got completely destroyed by over half the cast, as suggested above.

Using PKT2 from below the ledge can be risky, but few characters can challenge it at such a low angle.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
while in theory, Ness gets gimped by half the cast, only a few characters can reliably do it without either taking a PKT2 to the face or sacrificing their own recovery.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
If you can tech, throwing yourself into PK Thunder 2 actually is effective. It cuts its distance in half iirc.

:150:
That's why I exaggerated and made a full list of how to gimp Ness. The other player can just throw himself out, DI towards the wall, tech and Ness dies. Of course good Ness players don't burn their DJ, don't use PKt inmediately to recover, and do some PKT shenanigans, but they won't work forever. And the characters mentioned by Fatmanonice Fatmanonice just don't give a single damn about Ness offstage.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
That's why I exaggerated and made a full list of how to gimp Ness. The other player can just throw himself out, DI towards the wall, tech and Ness dies. Of course good Ness players don't burn their DJ, don't use PKt inmediately to recover, and do some PKT shenanigans, but they won't work forever. And the characters mentioned by Fatmanonice Fatmanonice just don't give a single damn about Ness offstage.
And then there was Ganondorf. Ganondorf would just want to wait for Ness to use PKT so he can either just Flame Choke, D-Air, brave the PKT2 or D-Spec.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
And then there was Ganondorf. Ganondorf would just want to wait for Ness to use PKT so he can either just Flame Choke, D-Air, brave the PKT2 or D-Spec.
Except if you even so much as think of braving the PKT2 you're risking your own stock due to Ganondorf's awful recovery.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Except if you even so much as think of braving the PKT2 you're risking your own stock due to Ganondorf's awful recovery.
What does recovery have to do with this? You're basically getting hit by Ness's body, and if you just don't get stage spiked, you will have no problem recovering back. Braving it would mean getting hit by it to just gimp Ness, no?

So instead of saying "due to Ganondorf's awful recovery" you should have instead said, "due to PKT2's KO ability."

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
What does recovery have to do with this? You're basically getting hit by Ness's body, and if you just don't get stage spiked, you will have no problem recovering back. Braving it would mean getting hit by it to just gimp Ness, no?

So instead of saying "due to Ganondorf's awful recovery" you should have instead said, "due to PKT2's KO ability."
Unless you manage to tech it [which, due to this being Smash 4, can be impossible depending on where you are], or you're hit at a good enough of an angle to launch you onto the stage again, you're getting Stage Spiked.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Unless you manage to tech it [which, due to this being Smash 4, can be impossible depending on where you are], or you're hit at a good enough of an angle to launch you onto the stage again, you're getting Stage Spiked.
It's not that hard to tech it. The untechable situation will almost never come into play with PKT2. Plus in most MUs Ganondorf can generally make it back fine after going offstage. There's only a few like Sheik and Villager where it's generally not worth trying.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
It's not that hard to tech it. The untechable situation will almost never come into play with PKT2. Plus in most MUs Ganondorf can generally make it back fine after going offstage. There's only a few like Sheik and Villager where it's generally not worth trying.
I'd say villager is still worth trying at times since his up B has no invincibility and Dorf can outright kill him offstage.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I'd say villager is still worth trying at times since his up B has no invincibility and Dorf can outright kill him offstage.
And with Sheik, it takes ONE mistake and Sheik will be sucked into the abyss with Flame Choke.
Same can potentially happen with Villager if he's stage spiked by Ganondorf's Up B and then grabbed by Choke.

Improbable but not impossible.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Yeah. You have to pick your spots carefully against Villager because he kills you very easily if you screw up, but you can realistically kill him if you do things right. Sheik is just really hard to tag with anything in addition to being able to kill you for screwing up.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
By the way, have people seen this video from Beefy Smash Doods? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yMG7QBs8GY

The key thing I'd like to talk about is how it turns out whether or not you snap the ledge after doing an aerial depends on how long the ANIMATION lasts, and NOT what the FAF/IASA frame is. In the video, they use the example of Sheik's fair, which you can attack out of pretty quickly, but cannot snap the ledge for a looong time because of its animation.

We talk about how FAF vs. length of animation doesn't matter, but it seems that it actually does for aerials.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
By the way, have people seen this video from Beefy Smash Doods? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yMG7QBs8GY

The key thing I'd like to talk about is how it turns out whether or not you snap the ledge after doing an aerial depends on how long the ANIMATION lasts, and NOT what the FAF/IASA frame is. In the video, they use the example of Sheik's fair, which you can attack out of pretty quickly, but cannot snap the ledge for a looong time because of its animation.

We talk about how FAF vs. length of animation doesn't matter, but it seems that it actually does for aerials.
Also, you cannot z-drop while in an animation, as it will trigger a normal item toss.

LightLV

Smash Ace

that explains some whacky deaths in this game. but i dont know what can be applied from it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom