• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CGC @ SFSU XXV - SEP. 3rd!

onski?

Smash Ace
here is a list of people i want to interview in the immediate future for Smash : The Documentary

Melee
Sheridan
DBR (all of them)
Lucien
WWJD
HMW
Phil
Mango (Scorpion Master)
Lucky
HugS
Zhu
Silent Wolf
Eggz
SCARDUZIO!
Tafokints

Brawl
Mike Haze
Tyrant
Oats
Havok
Choice
Fiction
Neal (likes a ****ty baseball team)

Smash64
Isai
ballin4life
superboomfan (eh?)

Cross Cultural Appeal
DEHF
Mew2King
FTA
Lovage
Smoke2Joints

suggestions, additions?

DJMirror

Smash Master
Add DBR crew, HugS, Zhu, Champ or Neal, Eggz or Silent Wolf, Scar (For the East Coast Scene), Adam and Fiction (Brawl)

onski?

Smash Ace
Add DBR crew, HugS, Zhu, Champ or Neal, Eggz or Silent Wolf, Scar (For the East Coast Scene), Adam and Fiction (Brawl)
im so oblivious. Zelgadis is standing right behind me... LAWL

if champ spoke english i would consider him :)

Brian

Smash Journeyman
i dont know what angle you're going for with the doc, but sheridan has been around for 5 years and knows the ins and outs of running a tournament. he's also articulate, which is nice.

DJMirror

Smash Master
I added Champ and Neal because I feel like with JB, he can tell you about the Nor Cal scene from his view as TO and Champ/Neal can do the same for So Cal.

HugS/Zhu is perfect for a pro like interview.

Silent Wolf/Eggz for the Washington Scene.

S2J for N64 as well.

Sheridan is perfect as well.

onski?

Smash Ace
I added Champ and Neal because I feel like JB can tell you about the Nor Cal scene from his view as JB and Champ/Neal can do the same for So Cal.

HugS/Zhu is perfect for a pro like interview.

Silent Wolf/Eggz for the Washington Scene.

Sheridan is perfect as well.
oh beloved Sheridan. <3 <3 <3 the poor ******* has no choice but to participate, ive already got footage of him being a baller

i dont know what angle you're going for with the doc, but sheridan has been around for 5 years and knows the ins and outs of running a tournament. he's also articulate, which is nice.
Brian, the angle im going for is something like this

ACT I → Present the scene (tournaments and how they function)
ACT II → Present the conflict (melee vs brawl, drama, drama, drama)
ACT III → Present the resolution (what resolution?)

documentaries are dependent on talking heads and b-roll, so the conflict and resolution will develop through the interviews and the footage will tell the rest of the story

dont worry, i got my BA from SFSU, the most challenging institution in the nation

DJMirror

Smash Master
This will be a **** *** documentary. I look forward to watching it! Do you have any ideas of how long it's going to be? Like 45 minutes? A hour? Sorry for asking alot of questions

onski?

Smash Ace
This will be a **** *** documentary. I look forward to watching it! Do you have any ideas of how long it's going to be? Like 45 minutes? A hour? Sorry for asking alot of questions
i intern at the Mill Valley Film Festival, and if its taught me anything about which documentaries get shown at festivals, it would have to be a feature length film (i.e. over or around an hour). i have nearly an hour's worth of footage so far, and i've only shot at GSG and CGC XX.. so i'll say anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour

The King

Smash Ace
I was going to ask if this was going to end up being a gigantic word document documentary or a legit video, but I suppose the post above me insinuates the answer lol. Though considering the pool of competitors you have outlined above as potential interview candidates, I've got a feeling your documentary is going to be really polarized.

Assuming that your documentary will cover:

a.) Tournament / community history for each title (however brief the overview may be)
b.) Each player's opinion about their community at large for each title
c.) The structural foundation of each community's tournament scene for each title
c.1.)should an observable difference in opinion exist, complimentary questions regarding why each region believes their scene is dying / thriving

then the bulk of the controversy, drama and difference of opinion will all come from answers related to c.1, and if I were a betting man, I'd wager that most of the answers you'll receive from players in norcal who gave Brawl a legitimate chance will say they either didn't mesh with the predominantly-younger & privelaged brawl crowd, or that they simply loved the pace of melee more lol. I've also got it on good authority that BIO (I think it was this one) killed the spirit of brawl in at least a dozen notable norcal smashers lol.

DJMirror

Smash Master
I've also got it on good authority that BIO (I think it was this one) killed the spirit of brawl in at least a dozen notable norcal smashers lol.
I believe it was the one (BIO 2) where people's stuff got stolen correct?

onski?

Smash Ace
I was going to ask if this was going to end up being a gigantic word document documentary or a legit video, but I suppose the post above me insinuates the answer lol. Though considering the pool of competitors you have outlined above as potential interview candidates, I've got a feeling your documentary is going to be really polarized.

Assuming that your documentary will cover:

a.) Tournament / community history for each title (however brief the overview may be)
b.) Each player's opinion about their community at large for each title
c.) The structural foundation of each community's tournament scene for each title
c.1.)should an observable difference in opinion exist, complimentary questions regarding why each region believes their scene is dying / thriving

then the bulk of the controversy, drama and difference of opinion will all come from answers related to c.1, and if I were a betting man, I'd wager that most of the answers you'll receive from players in norcal who gave Brawl a legitimate chance will say they either didn't mesh with the predominantly-younger & privelaged brawl crowd, or that they simply loved the pace of melee more lol. I've also got it on good authority that BIO (I think it was this one) killed the spirit of brawl in at least a dozen notable norcal smashers lol.
Dan, i am the king (no pun intended) at creating objective documentaries. see Made in China SCREENING SEPTEMBER 10TH @ THE COPPOLA THEATER @ SFSU (FINE ARTS BUILDING FIRST FLOOR, BIG *** THEATER RIGHT WHEN YOU WALK IN YADIG?) which is a bilingual rockumentary about the Shanghai music scene. i spent the past summer in China discussing objectivity, subjectivity, censorship, and governmental repercussions for our subjects with my fellow filmmakers, class and Beijing Film Academy graduate Weimin Zhang (holla at cha gurl on facebook).

throw in film theory, a ****ton of doc watching, and four years of suffering at San Francisco State University and you have what is known as

Chase Azimi
Community Outreach Coordinator
33rd Mill Valley Film Festival
October 7th-17th, 2010

now, i will be making the film from the THE PARTICIPATORY MODE of documentaries, which my professor and home boy Bill Nichols defines as:

"The participatory mode welcomes direct engagement between filmmaker and subject(s) - the filmmaker becomes part of the events being recorded. The filmmakers impact on the events being recorded is acknowledged, indeed, it is often celebrated. "

- Bill Nichols
Modes of Documentary

i'm too invested in both communities to not acknowledge the fact that i run tournaments and have a part in the story i'm telling.

i think it'll be sassy. just like this fat wall of text

The King

Smash Ace
Yeah, from what I've heard you're the real deal when it comes to this kinda stuff lol. My post was more or less a hypothesis on what you'll find on the surface from smashers. Though if your response-post is indicatory at all of the level of professionalism you approach your work... I guess that it's only to be expected that your vid is chock-full of rich smash history, controversy and dramatic conclusions made from, and about, our own smash bretheren concerning the reasons our communities have been thriving or decaying over the last year?

tl;dr - Can't wait to see it lol.

[sarcasm]

I've made a couple respectable documentaries in my time as well. In this example, dating to sometime between the 3rd quarter of 2005 and stretching towards the end of 2nd quarter 2006, I document multiple cases of abuse and violation occurring amongst both my closest friends and most mysterious competitors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=razMAOKgmiY

Much further down the road, I created a follow-up documentary detailing the same subject material, albeit in a much more graphic manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJQfBB0aCYE

...And now that I think about it LOL, both of my productions were created by utilising the same "Participatory Mode" of filming as you yourself employ XD

[/Sarcasm]

onski?

Smash Ace
I've made a couple respectable documentaries in my time as well. In this example, dating to sometime between the 3rd quarter of 2005 and stretching towards the end of 2nd quarter 2006, I document multiple cases of abuse and violation occurring amongst both my closest friends and most mysterious competitors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=razMAOKgmiY

Much further down the road, I created a follow-up documentary detailing the same subject material, albeit in a much more graphic manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJQfBB0aCYE

...And now that I think about it LOL, both of my productions were created by utilising the same "Participatory Mode" of filming as you yourself employ XD
your documentaries are both exhilarating and sensational. you must give me permission and rights to show footage from both films in Smash: The Doc. i will have my people contact you

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
In Response to a Dead Topic:

I do love the community and the game(s) and that's why when I think something is up (like at R3) I'm going to call people out. It was defensive and hardheaded. I have no hard feelings or ill-will towards you Onski. I just wanted transparency is all, but now I realize I was in no place to be saying anything. Hope you'll forgives me.

@ Pocky: Wanna bet on who wins the next norcal tourney?

onski?

Smash Ace
In Response to a Dead Topic:

I do love the community and the game(s) and that's why when I think something is up (like at R3) I'm going to call people out. It was defensive and hardheaded. I have no hard feelings or ill-will towards you Onski. I just wanted transparency is all, but now I realize I was in no place to be saying anything. Hope you'll forgives me.

@ Pocky: Wanna bet on who wins the next norcal tourney?
Oats,

i've housed you a couple times and know that despite any attitude you may have projected, you are well intentioned and extremely dedicated to the community. i respect you and don't bear any grudge towards you. if i heard someone was trying to Manacloud a regional, i would probably have done the same thing. so-cal brawl is what it is thanks in large part to your efforts and professionalism.

<3

but fvck sky. he's still a mark in my book

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I can give insight onski if you need it. I have followed the scene since 2004 and have been playing in tourneys since 2005. Also, I have played the major champions at some point (Ken, PC, M2k, Mango).

WassupJB

Smash Lord
socal brawl players shiit on norcal brawlers in every way possible from attitudes, to kick it peoples, to being better players, it's just not close.

oats is cool peoples too. that r3 moment sucks though..

edit: i didn't catch up all the way before i made my post. gangsta.

anywhoo please call me jb, jason, gangsta, baus, don and anything of the like and not wwjd...i truly dislike being called wwjasond/wwjd.

WHO KNOWS HOW TO CHANGE MY SWF NAME?!

onski?

Smash Ace
I can give insight onski if you need it. I have followed the scene since 2004 and have been playing in tourneys since 2005. Also, I have played the major champions at some point (Ken, PC, M2k, Mango).
i put your name on DA LIST

anywhoo please call me jb, jason, gangsta, baus, don and anything of the like and not wwjd...i truly dislike being called wwjasond/wwjd.

WHO KNOWS HOW TO CHANGE MY SWF NAME?!
sure thing don jason jb the gangsta baus

WassupJB

Smash Lord
i approve.

is this cgc called smash the doc because of how bad dawayne got beat last cgc? (oh yes, i went there).

jp dr midnight. redeem yourself at fudds.

onski?

Smash Ace
i hereby command everyone to look at the front page for important rules updates, filmic legalities, and general refreshment

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
yay hopefully i get to finally meet axe, one of the coolest sounding guys in the smash community. i talked to you on the livestream at GSG with choknater during/after grand finals of doubles.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
lol dude, read my post. i said i was talking to him on the livestream, aka he was at home on his computer while me and choknater were commentating grand finals and talking to people.

Top Bottom