• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carolina Brawl Power Rankings [1/27] Breaking Bad PRs!! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Bananas? How the **** is a banana a derogatory term?
I got Asian friends and all i know is that banana is a term used by Asians that means "an Asian that doesn't care anything about their asian culture or acts white". Haha kinda like an oreo for black people.

Man I've had the honor to meet so many people from different cultures and have learned we really are all the same. Sadly it's just my fellow blacks expose our bad stuff to the public and sometimes even glorify it while other races don't. Or if they do it's not in a language most of the world doesn't know lol.

@Orion - If u see this. I love yer quote!! haha. Put on blast!!

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
No an Oreo is someone is black but acts "white".

It is a stupid phrase created out of ignorance. For there is no such thing as acting "white". That phrase stems from ignorance and racism.

ShadowAzure

Smash Journeyman
So here's my cool story for the day. I'm starting to feel more like a doubles player than a singles player atm. I never thought I would say something like this at all. I'm going to start training hard on my doubles play.

ShadowAzure

Smash Journeyman
I got wrecked by Coney and 4God in singles much harder than I got wrecked by M2K and Anti in doubles. This among other sets I have played.

And I have put almost no work into my doubles play...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
is coney a DDD player?

at any rate teams is good for alleviating matchup related problems but your singles game should not be counted out because that is how you may have to execute strategies like 2 1v1s in teams(usually not the best strategy though sometimes it is).

at any rate, it is good you're working on your doubles game. lots of people neglect doubles and better teams strategy around here would be tight.

ShadowAzure

Smash Journeyman
is coney a DDD player?

at any rate teams is good for alleviating matchup related problems but your singles game should not be counted out because that is how you may have to execute strategies like 2 1v1s in teams(usually not the best strategy though sometimes it is).

at any rate, it is good you're working on your doubles game. lots of people neglect doubles and better teams strategy around here would be tight.
Yes he is. I won't be dropping singles though, it'll still be on the side and I'll still participate in singles events, but I'm just going to be much more dedicated to doubles for the time being.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
you should do that, but you should also consider that maybe you are also better vs Meta Knight than DDD.

either way I do hope you will share some doubles thoughts with us, scotty. =)

ShadowAzure

Smash Journeyman
There's no doubt I'm better at the MK matchup than the DDD one. DDD is my worst, while I feel MK was one of my best because I play Steve all the time. I have Pit as a secondary for DDD but the gap between my Wario and my Pit is just so huge that Wario remains my best shot at beating DDD.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
There's no doubt I'm better at the MK matchup than the DDD one. DDD is my worst, while I feel MK was one of my best because I play Steve all the time. I have Pit as a secondary for DDD but the gap between my Wario and my Pit is just so huge that Wario remains my best shot at beating DDD.
then I suggest finding some good DDD or someone's good secondary DDD and playing it a ton to fix that issue as much as possible. this would probably happen at a tournament but it's better to get it fixed at a local when you have time to hone that ability so you can solidly perform at majors.

ShadowAzure

Smash Journeyman
then I suggest finding some good DDD or someone's good secondary DDD and playing it a ton to fix that issue as much as possible. this would probably happen at a tournament but it's better to get it fixed at a local when you have time to hone that ability so you can solidly perform at majors.
Yeah usually I get my DDD practice from Steve and Brian. I do just fine against them and I occasionally ask them to go DDD so I can stay in practice. I simply just don't have the talent to beat an amazing player like Coney, and the bad match-up adds to that. Even so, it's not like I'm overly frustrated with the match-up.

I feel like I stand up to a lot of the better players while I'm playing doubles as well. At the very least it would be interesting to see where this step will take me.

EDIT: I used to main Falco, like before I even played tournaments. He's a bit technical for me but I guess it wouldn't be a terrible idea since he covers DDD better than Pit does. Originally I had a more personal reason for having picked up Pit, and DDD had nothing to do with it.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Just a fair warning to u. It's probably because most people play dubs terribly. Most people just go aggro without thought. Even top singles players do. I can only name about four smashers in the whole US community that play it correctly in my opinion. That is why Japan won apex brawl dubs. They do exactly how I try to explain it to people. If all 4 players have a certain level of individual skill the team with better teamwork will 90% of the time win.

The four players to try to learn from in America in my opinion is Dojo, Gnes, M2k, and Mekos (me).
Sadley that is the only players in all of smash is see that consistently utilize dubs smarts. Also, my dubs mentee (Esam) is up and coming but sadly no recent dubs vids of us ever get uploaded.

So again don't be fooled. Most people play dubs recklessly. If u decide to take on the path of a dubs pro it is a lonely one. my advice is not to judge yourself based on how u do against others but on how you and your team performs. Are u guys following up, getting punishes consistently, supporting each other instead of chasing, etc.

Most of the community doesn't understand and will judge just based on kills and simple stuff like that. But that is all irrelevant.
Right now our dubs metagame is very lacking and the majority of teams are winning based on individual skill in 1v1 battles. Some teams have a few team tactics and some people think that means they are good teams. But good dubs play is more than just a few team tactics.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
@Kadaj - I want u to come over for a smash week sleepover sometime :embarrass: :awesome:

lol but foreal. I'm kinda tired of getting grab infinite and stuff. I wanna train a secondary for super gay matchups.

Super gay matchups = grab grab grab grab to free smash against lucas

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
@Kadaj - Lol just cuz yer not in my little list doesn't mean I said u were garbage!!!

lolololol

U aight...could be alot better but u refuse to listen and grow. Like alot of smashers u claim to know it all ;/ when it comes to dubs and don't listen to my analysis of yer dubs gameplay. Same way Fow acted and it cost us apex. smh
Anyways that's why I love Esam so much. He is humble enuff to listen and does his best to utilize my tips/dubs smarts.

People do well in dubs and think that means they are good. We as players shouldn't compare ourselves to our competition or placings if basic teamwork isn't even present.
Brawl doubles is terrible overall. That is why M2k can win so many tourneys with none static teamates.

@Esam - Yea it is. I used to argue with kids who didn't understand dubs and said singles was more complicated/harder/more skill required lol. I think Stingers was one of them. Dubs is so awesome with so many variables. Did u know what nietono did!? He latched pikmin onto his own teammate when he thought they would get hit to lag the opponents attack. And it allowed him to safely get in and change the timing of the move! So much creativity that can happen in dubs! I love it! It's not just about who can be the most gay! (fino caught that by the way...didn't see it myself).

ShadowAzure

Smash Journeyman
Thanks again for the tips and videos Mekos. I feel like I have a decent understanding of what I'm getting myself into and I know I'm kind of starting from scratch. Like many others, my 1v1 skill often dictated how I would do in doubles. But I'm willing to put in the time and effort to study and work on whatever I would need to put work into.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I always wondered why people never had static teammates. Them being terrible at teams explains it.

Can you explain to me how throwing a Pikmin at the teammate lags the opponent's attack? I figure it's something useful to keep in mind if I'm going to play Olimar.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I understand but am not good at explaining with smash lingo. I'll bring Fino in hear to explain.

@Azure - No problem. I will actually write a doubles guide sometime. I was going to immediately after apex but am a little upset after apex. I blindly thought/wanted to believe my partner had dubs smarts but I was wrong. I wanted to win it or at least get top 3.

@Kadaj - It is my dream to have a static partner to train with in dubs and take over the world in dubs. So far Esam is my best potential partner...but MVD is having a hard time letting him go. U are definitely my second pick since we live so close but if only u would listen to me :(.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I always wondered why people never had static teammates. Them being terrible at teams explains it.

Can you explain to me how throwing a Pikmin at the teammate lags the opponent's attack? I figure it's something useful to keep in mind if I'm going to play Olimar.
When I teammed with mekos, I had a lot of trouble fully grasping the team spacing aspect part of what he was saying. Reguardless of where I was it seemed hard to get in on the opponent who just hit him, unless I was just at the right spot at the right time. Nietono would fix this issuse by throwing the pikmin on rain, so that if he got hit, there would be extra lag on the opponents attack (due to hitting rain + the pikmin) which would give nietono the extra time he needed to come in for the punish.

He essentially doubled the hitstun (freeze frames) of the opponent's attack because he would either hit Pikmin > Rain or Rain > pikmin. Most of the time, the pikmin would be hit off before it dealt latch damage.

*CT*

Smash Lord
I feel you there Mekos, I stopped playing dubs altogether, just because I couldn't find a static partner that I liked or couldn't , if I ever find one I'd play in dubs a whole lot more.

@Dnyce- I thought about it, not sure, but wouldn't that work both ways though, as in if Rain used any attacks he would get that lag after using attacks.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Thanks for explaining how that works, it's really cool. I'll try to use it next time I play teams.

EDIT: I just found the Olimar hitbox topic. Now I need to study that, and my Olimar should improve a lot.

BEHR

Smash Hero
I always found myself better at Brawl teams whether I was playing Jiggs or Kirby sometimes.

you just have to find a partner that you can click with.

CT lets team. ;]

*CT*

Smash Lord
I'm down for trying partners out whenever I'm at any tournament in friendlies and see how things work out. I used to play dubs with Charlie @ NCSU awhile back and he would use Kirby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom