• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carolina Brawl Power Rankings [1/27] Breaking Bad PRs!! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
There are only a couple outliers in brawl, mostly just Ganon really. MK isn't good enough to be an outlier imo.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
the past comments state what i was going to say about the mvc2 brawl comparison.

if mk wasnt in the game, brawl would not have a clear better ( even though marth is widely expected as the best char if mk was not around)

so i see brawl as one of the most balance fighters right now.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i have to agree with pink and smith.

though i played mortal combat more when i was a kid, rather than sf, i never liked mortal combat that much.

wish i had more sf games.

anyways, back to things that matter

like brawl and mvc3.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I like LoL

and Mario sports mix when that game drops...I'm accepting all Money matches in Hockey and Prolly Dodgeball...lol

Dublio

Smash Ace
This is the current tier list right?

S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, Diddy Kong, Falco, Wario, Marth, Ice Climbers
B: Olimar, Pikachu, King Dedede, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucario, Zero Suit Samus
C: Toon Link, Kirby, Fox, R.O.B., Pit, Peach, Donkey Kong
D: Luigi, Wolf, (Zelda/Sheik), Sonic, Ike, Sheik, Ness, Pokémon Trainer
E: Yoshi, Lucas, Mario, Bowser
F: Captain Falcon, Samus, Jigglypuff, Link, Zelda
G: Ganondorf

-------------------------------------
When you say that tier lists only apply to high levels of play, are they referring to the current best players of each category and what their characters can do, or is it simply what the characters are capable of now? It seems that really good players are able to do magical things with their characters, despite being proclaimed low tier.

The question is, can these people overcome and eventually win a major tournament? Does being the best low tier main really matter if you can't even beat half of the cast or people that main higher tiered mains but aren't as well known? I know that skill > tiers but the question is "Where is the cut off point?" It seems that many people try with one character, find that they can't win with their character, and switch to MK instead. Now they have a new main instead of trying to work with their lower tiered main.

So why do so many players switch their mains? Is that because many people just want to win, they genuinely like playing MK, or some other orbitrary reason? And I know this just applies to singles. Once you try looking at doubles, many characters will end up switching spots. Which throws far more variables into the mix when you account for all of the character combinations which is also affected by player skill.

Examples: Certain players can do magic with considered "low tier" characters. Chu with Kirby, Anther with Pikachu, Reflex with Pokemon trainer, Boss with Luigi/Mario. Mekos with Lucas. Because of their character's flaws, is it simply impossible for them to overcome certain obstacles in tournament or is it simply much harder to do so? Does this mean that a really good player with a "bad" character cannot win a major tournament unless they extremely outplay their opponent?

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
The top to mid half of D tier is where it starts looking unviable after that point.

Edit: actually from that list after Lucas it starts becoming more unviable.

And this can't be compared to mvc2 Magento ***** everyone, at least MK has very close to or even mus with the higher tier characters

Also Pika is def. A Tier

Dublio

Smash Ace
Of course, you did mention earlier that there were only (3-4?) a few notable players for Brawl in NC. So it's kinda hard to tell over here since although there is a competitive spirit, we may be held back because we feel more like bros than actually competiting to win. So the tierlist doesn't really apply to us since our potential as a smash state is still unreached. Meaning that it would probably be easier to win with a lower tiered character in this state. What do you think?

Also, when I say notable, I mean that other people actually know your names outside of the state. Being the best in a state means nothing if you tried to go somewhere else and placed dead last. Perhaps when going from a nonexistantly competitive state to somewhere else.

Most of the time when you have a fighting game, many people pick the characters near the top of the tier list. That way, many people get the most practice fighting against said characters. However, what are the chances of someone coming along that plays a far less played character and yet can still win said tournament. Since a lot of the characters are considered unviable, even if someone was considered a beast, they would have to be a mindreader and significantly outguess their opponent every step of the way. Basically, if someone picked Ganondorf and was able to beat you in a tournament match, then you did something wrong, right? Even if that Ganondorf player was really good, unless the rest of his opponents were not sure how to fight him, he wouldn't win. Since there are so many anti tactics based towards screwing the lower players.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
^this guy is actually right

I fell like I could win with Kirby in NC while I feel like anywhere else (MD notably) it would never happen.

I mean even chu doesn't win anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom