• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I'm going to start figuring some things out. What are some of the match ups currently you think Marth has the most trouble with? Don't tell me Jiggs I'm doing lab work on her right now! :D If you guys need me I'll be in the lab.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Yes, please jiggs!
While your in the lab, see what negates her when she's just putting up a wall of bairs.

Other stuff? What's your take on the dash dance game when both Marth and Fox and DD camping. Approaches? Appropriate responses to this option or that?

AustinRC

Smash Lord
MasterShake::

I trained a month specifically for that matchup and still BARELY won against my opponent after losing to him MANY times before. So basically what I do in this match up is hang out right outside of falcon's maximum distance he can hit me with nair and try and grab him after he nairs. When I get closer and we are dash dancing I try and wait for him to jump once he does I'll rush in with a dtilt, it will usually hit him as he is coming down with an aerial which sets up for tech chases and such. Here are the vids of my Marth vs Darkrain's Falcon. Also if you have more in depth questions my AIM is Gamewiz199.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVmHFj58_Ik
Match 1 of 5

AceDudeyeah::

I've come up with one safe option for Marth vs Jigglypuff to help him land grabs. However its only good to people who have great reaction time and it needs a bit more testing.

My take on the dash dance game with Marth and Fox is try and bait him to approach you. Honestly there isnt much you can do other than be patient. I dash dance a little strange. Okay for visual purposes the most common dash dance for players is something like this << >>. When I dash dance against a Fox player and am trying to gain stage control I dash dance forward just a little bit further than I do after I dash away from them. It looks more closely like this << >>>
Slowly you will get them to the edge of the stage and the will either have to commit to an approach OR they will try and jump over you. You really need good reaction time to either nair fox out of his nair or pivot grab/ jump and up air him when he tries to jump over you/ pivot grab if he tries to dash attack. Good fox players will be able to get around this by baiting you if your reaction time isnt that great.
So you need to start the mind games up as well, do late fairs in place and then dash away and immediately pivot grab. You will be surprised how many times you will get grabs with this. MAKE SURE YOU FAIR/ NAIR IN PLACE. If you have any momentum carrying you forward a fox can run up and grab you. The late aerials makes a small hitbox wall that the opponent cant get to before you run away.

Like I said if you have any other specific questions or you feel I didnt answer your question very well then message me at Gamewiz199.

Hope this helps you guys out!

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Hmmm, more info to put in. I gotta start playing with reactions. Thanks!

Also, my take on the Marth-Falcon matchup, for some reason, doing a surprise reverse uptilt with your back facing towards them when you were originally facing them throws them off. Marth leaning forward while doing the uptilt then covering where he was standing gets you COMBOS

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I find more success with that trick in the fox mu when they try to grab me after an aerial. Fox's range is pathetic, makes me sad he's so tough to beat.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm late to the up smash / grab waveshine follow party but to my understanding JC grabbing slides you further than JC u-smashing. Which makes the grab easier. When you toss in little stuff like grab beating the shield and frame gobbledygook on top of that, it's just easier to hit overall.

Up smash isn't really difficult to hit though. Unless Marth gets a good SDI on the Shine.

Niko45

Smash Master
Really not a fan of nair in place...

Good people really don't just run into hitboxes too often so by committing to something like that you're allowing them the opportunity to escape pressure where as if you were just standing there they'd feel the pressure to commit first and then you could be the one to respond accordingly.

Overshot nair is amazing tho, still a big advocate of that.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lmao ARC. For whatever reason, watching you play against Falcon... it looks like you have no ****ing idea what you are doing and figured "I'll just be a ****** and camp ftw." It looks more like you know how to play "Marth vs bad character" than play Marth vs Falcon. Especially considering some of the matchup specific things you mess up and your overall fear of being near him unless he jumps.

Don't mean any offense by that btw. There are many different ways to win.

Dart!

Smash Master
Lmao ARC. For whatever reason, watching you play against Falcon... it looks like you have no ****ing idea what you are doing and figured "I'll just be a ****** and camp ftw." It looks more like you know how to play "Marth vs bad character" than play Marth vs Falcon. Especially considering some of the matchup specific things you mess up and your overall fear of being near him unless he jumps.

Well darkrain does play a bad char. he also likes to throw himself into stupid moves (see his set vs broly)

AustinRC

Smash Lord
lmao arc. For whatever reason, watching you play against falcon... It looks like you have no ****ing idea what you are doing and figured "i'll just be a ****** and camp ftw." it looks more like you know how to play "marth vs bad character" than play marth vs falcon. Especially considering some of the matchup specific things you mess up and your overall fear of being near him unless he jumps.

hahahahaha <3 its true!!!!!!!!

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Do you guys know offhand if there are any characters for which you can time a dsmash so that it tippers if they tech in place, miss the tech, OR techroll towards you?

Im getting okay at getting the forward tipper spacing but I don't make use of the backwards one much yet

Niko45

Smash Master
Couldn't you just react and turn around and hit with the front part if they tech behind you? Just seems like it'd be too ridiculous to randomly have that timing and spacing just work out.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Pretty sure that doesn't work on anybody. I have had it happen but I didn't plan it or space it out or anything. Plus they have to be kinda close to you in order to tech roll that far away behind you.

Alright, here is a quick question. You make the mistake of running offstage near the ledge. How do you get back on? Do you risk going for an aerial or do you try taking the valuable time to get to the ledge? If the aerial, which might be preferred to use? Bair at low percents would hit too early and unless tipped wouldn't knock your opponent very far away. Thus giving your opponent plenty of time to do something back. Timing the last hit of Nair would give you the least lag upon reaching the stage again, but you have to make sure to not jump too early or else you won't space it right.

I usually go for Fsmash -> Fsmash. Sometimes Fsmash -> Fsmash -> Fsmash.
Depends on situation.
Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow -> Uthrow works just as well as fsmash -> fsmash -> fsmash -> fsmash

Why don't you try airdodging
Side-b doublejump sweetspot ledge maybe
I answered my own question. Don't run off in the first place.

Niko45

Smash Master
So lets talk about back throw a little bit. I think this move is kind of amazing. In what situations to people like to use it? At what % does it start to setup platform tech chases on fastfallers/floaties?

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
As Marth, which is more favorable: waiting around and fishing for openings, or directly putting pressure on the opponent and trying to force an opening?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
They're kind of the same thing for Marth imo. depends on your definition of "forcing an opening" I guess

the first thing is better if your opponent is willing to approach unwisely and you get free hits, so take advantage of that if you can. If your opponent is playing patiently though you have to put some pressure on them, but that doesn't necessarily mean doing attacks at them all the time. You can pressure them by DDing real good and presenting the threat of a potential attack such as dash attack/dtilt/wd fsmash/whatever. Of course, if they don't respect your threat you can actually pull the trigger and attack and **** them

If they keep retreating eventually you can get yourself into a good position (they're directly above you or you have them trapped at the edge) and that's when Marth is actually able to "directly" pressure them

Top Bottom