• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
hey i main falco and i cant recover after math down throws me and idk what to do. what some things i can do to survive besides not getting grabbed?
Sup james!

There is always an escape for the immediate gimp, though if they mix up a lot it can be really oppressive to know which option to choose. If they are standing on stage waiting for you, sweetspot the edge with your jump. If they are coming out after you, you can try jumping away from the stage and doing a high sideb. Alternatively you can try wall jumping and airdodging on stage. With all of these you can gain reaction time and increase mixups by shine stalling before making your choice.

IGiveUp

Smash Cadet
Any tips for Marth Dittos?
I'm pretty new at this game, so you guys feel free to correct anything I say that's dumb.

If you can grab them at 0%, fthrow, regrab> fthrow, regrab works I think. It may be DI dependent. After that, uthrow or fthrow depending on stage placement. I usually just try to get myself into a position that I can throw my opponent off the stage. You can push them a long way with this (like 1/4 or 1/3 of FD I think), so fthrow off the ledge is definitely a good option.

After the second regrab, if you're near the edge, fthrow again and Dtilt or tipper fsmash if they're dumb and DI wrong.

If not, uthrow>utilt or uair/ fair strings work pretty well.

Basically the idea is what Jun said - dashdance/space so that you're weaving in and out of their range (the most important range to be aware of IMO is the dash forward to JC grab range) and try to bait a laggy move, then just get in and **** em up.

Ultimately you want to push them to the edge, regardless of what tactics you use to achieve this. Marth is ridiculously good at edgeguarding, and also has a pretty predictable recovery, so obviously edgeguarding/gimps is the way to go. If I had to guess, I'd say most of my kills in dittos come from ledgehopped aerials (bair/dair) while the opponent is recovering

Edit: I seem to remember M2K telling me that the second regrab isn't guaranteed, so I guess keep that in mind.

Vaccine

Smash Journeyman
Sup james!

There is always an escape for the immediate gimp, though if they mix up a lot it can be really oppressive to know which option to choose. If they are standing on stage waiting for you, sweetspot the edge with your jump. If they are coming out after you, you can try jumping away from the stage and doing a high sideb. Alternatively you can try wall jumping and airdodging on stage. With all of these you can gain reaction time and increase mixups by shine stalling before making your choice.
Yo thanks a lot of the advice dude! The guidance you gave me at GSS has been a huge help. Its always in the back of my head when im recovering form the ledge. Im sure these tips will also prove handy. Looking forward to the next time you come to MI!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Glad to know you're still going at it.

Idk when i'll be back in MI, at least right now the gas prices are too high to get a trip organized.

mexicanmax227

Smash Apprentice
Yoshis island 64
10:34 pm
5/12/2011

SSBM MLG NEW YORK FINALS 2006 Ken vs PC 1
Alot of put your self in these situations thought it was a good vid to learn from i never have the balls to do the whole game, these are just rough drafts though, plz answer question like anything with a question mark
It really teaches you watch and read at same time here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FycI-BCmpuY&feature=related

--3rd player slot can fall through
--midplat. Ken uses this to fall
--bottom mid and fair as a start off.
GUYS COME ON THIS IS BASIC HOMO, MEMORIZE IT!!! HE PRACTICALLY GETS UNDER THE BIRD QUICKLY, SO UNFAIR, BUT LEGAL;) I DON'T KNOW IF THE LEFT OR RIGHT PLAT SPAWNS LET U FALL THROUGH OFF OF SPAWN THOUGH

--The fair hits pc and pc is stunned --on left plat. Ken attempts a grab
--while bottom mid under left plat
--cuz FALCO is airborne and might --be in grab range but FALCO air
--dodges on left plat.
SICK NASTY APPROACH, FAIR GRAB ESPECIALLY IF ITS UN EXPECXTED, LIKE RANDOMLY FALLING THROUGH MID PLAT OFF OF SPAWN, PLUS IF IT DOESN'T HIT LCANCEL THEN DO.....LETS SEE ANYTHING, TRY SPOTDODGING AFTER THAT CANCEL, OR GRABING, SH NAIR FOR MORE PRESSURE THEN GUESS WHAT LCANCEL AGAIN, SWORD DANCE, TRY DASHING IN AND OUT OF YOUR OPPONENT,TRY DASHING AWAT FROM YOUR OPPONENT FOR ANOTHER SET UP, ONCE U HAVE AN ADVANTAGE TRY TO SHAKE THEY BRAIN UP!!!!! PRESSURE ON UR OPPONENT THAT'S GOOD AND THIS START OFF IS CHEAP!, THE WAY THIS GUYS BRAIN WORKED WAS AGROMO, AGROMO means agressivly HOMO!!!!! HES PRESSURING U AS SOON AS THE MATCH STARTS, THEN HE'S DASHING UNDER LIKE A LOOSE ROCKET BAIRING U INTO SET UP INTO SET UP. HES SETING U UP INTO SET UP INTO SET UP, JUST SO HE CAN GRAB U, OR LET U SNUCK UP AND TILT U OR DASH U OR SOMETHING U. REMEMBER KIDS TOUCHING ANIMALS IS GUUD, WANNA TOUCH THE SPACEYS IT SCRWS DEM

-- Ken then dashes left and fh Bairs --through left plat from bottom
--under left plat then lands a fair
--bottom mid.
HI FALCO HOW R U, uve JUST BEEN SET UP PLUS IM COVERING YOUR OPTIONS OR AM I JUST GUUD HMMMMBY AGRESSING U IN A CHEAP SET UP FORM (HOW I LOVE THIS STYLE PLAY)

Pc blocks. Ken cancels bottom mid then dashes to the right
IN AND OUT OF THE FRAY, SO MY FAIR DIDN'T HIT THIS BLOCK ***** GUESS I'LL JUST LCANCEL AND DASH TOWARDS MIDMAP AND TRY ANOTHER SET UP,HOW CONSISTENT I AM. THINGS AREN'T GONNA ALWAYS GO YOUR WAY UR GONNA LEARN THAT FAST, SO STAY FOCUSES AND THINK AHEAD HE STILL ON THIS BIRD LIKE FEATHERS EVEN THOUGH HE NOT EXACTLY PHYSICALLY BREAKING HIM, BUT MENTALLY THIS BIRDS GETTING A RUN FOR HIS MONEY.

-- then dashes back left double hop
I THINK SINCE NUTTINS BREAKING THE BIRD AT THIS BOINT HR TRIED A DIFFERENT APPROACH WHICH WAS BACK AWAY FROM THE BIRD,AFTER THAT LCANCEL, GET SOME SPACE, THEN MEET HALFWAY BOUT BOTTOM MID FH FAIR MIX UP WHICH WAS FAILURE BUT HE HAD A PLAN AND QUITE A SMART ONE INDEED

--and try's landing fair-mixup
FH FAIR CANCELS, THIS GUY REALLY LOVES FAIR GRAB ANYWAYS I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND STARTING OFF WITH THIS TRYING AND MIX IT INTO YOUR CHAINED SET UP PLAY OR WHEN YOUR AT AN ADVANTAGE. I UNDERSTAND MOST THINGS IN SMASH ARE USED AS BAIT BUT THIS GUY USES EVERYTHING AS BAIT FALLING THROUGH PLATS, DASHING, FAIR CANCELING,I SEE IT AS AGRESSING OPPONENT,, SAFELY SETTING UP WHILE BAITING, WHICH IS REAL TALK,

--but is jabbed out of it by pc. Pc
--jabs and ken attemts an Upair
CALL IT HIT ME!!!! CAPITALIZING OFF OF AN OPPONENT HITTING UP, RHIS SITUATION IS MORE OF A REACTION, BUT PLAYERS LIKE TO JAB AND BOXING THAT A BUTTON HOPING U'LL AIREAL ATTACK THEM CAN VE USED STRATEGICALLY WITH DECENT INSTINCT AND DIRECTIONAL INPUT AND INFLUENCE, LABE THIS AS ONE PF YOUR OPPONENTS OPTIONS JABING.
UPAIRING OR FAIRING OUT OF A JUST GOT JABED ***** SO ATTEMPT IT , QUICK THOSE FINGERS UP!!!

--slightly above ground but is
--grabed. Ken breaks grab. Pc jabs. --Ken attempts a fair but the jab
--keeps him leveled. Ken then
--blocks

KEN BLOCKS WUHHHHH DO Y'ALL SEE HOW THERE TRADING MOMENTUM LOGICALLY ATTACKING IN AND OUT OF SET UP OR SITUATIONALITY, I WONDER IF THAT'S A WORD

-- and is charged with a
--neutral air shine by FALCO but
----ken rolls towards midmap.

KEN WOULD ROLL OUT OF SHINE COMBOS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL Y'ALL I GUESS HE'S TRYING TO SET UP BOTTOM MID HE RARELY PUTS HIMSELF IN THESE SITUATIONS THAT PLAYERS FEEL LIKE THERE ALWAYS IN AND HE'S RARELY GIVING OPPONENT CHANCE TO THINK, LEARN, REACT, WATCH HOW THIS GUY PLAYS!!!! HE CAN GET AWAY WITH SO MUCH, JUST BY BEING......HMMMMM REALLY GAY BEING PRESSURED BY FALCOS WEAKNESS, GRAB ATTEMPTS, STAYING CLOSE ON THIS BIRD, SETTING UP C A M P ALL OVER THIS BIRD , SO WHEN HE DOES GET IN THOSE SITUATIONS WHERE PLAYERS FEEL LIKE THERE ALWAYS IN I DOUBT IT'S EARLY IN THE GAME, HOW DO I PUT THIS. YALL AREN'T PUTTING ENOUGH LAYERED THOUGHT Y'ALL ARE PULLING THE TRUMP CARD TOO EARLY, Y'ALL ARE PROLLY APPROACHING THE WRONG WAY LIKE STAYING LEVEL WITH FALCO THE WHOLE GAME WHEN THERE'S PLATS USE THESE GAMES AS EXAMPLES TO SEX UP YO STYLE;)
--FALCO is under right plat. Ken fh --fairs aiming first for the right plat
MAN U COULD STAY ON THIS SUBJECT FOR DAYS SOOOOO GAYYYYY UR BOTTOM MID, MAP CONTROL, YOUR SWORD TAKES UP THIS WHOLE STAGE DUHHH EVEN IF YOU RANDOMLY FAIR WHILE YOUR OPPONENTS IN PLATS IF HE HITS U DI KINDA UP OR TOWARDS HIM, TAKE THAT LIKE , WHILE STAYING AGRESSIVE AND THROW YOUR OPPONENT OFF GUARD!!!
KEN KNEW HOW IMPORTANT THIS WAS TO ONLY BE ABLE TO TRADE HITS EARLY STOCK, I SWEAR IT'S DESPERETE SOME TIMES BUT IT'S BAIT AND IT'S RABDOM TRY FH ANY AIREAL OUT OF SHIELD WHILE AT DISADVANTAGE IT'S RANDOM
BUT THIS IS A TACTIC THAT WILL SKY ROCKET YOUR GAME TRADING HITS IT *****

--then is kicked but his animations
--reset and while airborne he fairs
--again on FALCO.
SKYROCKET AND IF THEY DINT TRADE REACT ACCORDINGLY TO UR OPPONENTS ACTIONS KENS ALWAYD IN A I WANNA FAIR U SITUATION SO YEAH

-- Pc lands on
--right plat. Ken lands bottom mid
--under right plat.
UNLESS THERE OFF THE MAP THEN U DON'T NEED TO BE ANYWHERE PAST THIS POINT, ONLY TIME U GO UNDER PLATS ARE WHEN U ARE FORCED THERE AND WHEN YOUR TILTING WHILE THERE ALREADY ON PLAT OR IF OPPONENTS OFF STAGE ESPECIALLY ON SUCH A SMALL MAP THIS MAP HAS TOO MUCH POTENTIAL FOR THROW DOWN GAMES STAY IN THE MID AS MUCH AS U CAN

Ken fh doulbe
--fairs and hits both, the second

PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN THROW OFF AN OPPONENT AFTER TRADING HITS, THIS IS EHAT U WANTED UR OPPONENT SCREWED TO EITHER LAND OFF THE MAP OR BACK ON THE PLANK
BASE UR SET UPS LIKE THESE THERE CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE
--fair sends pc flying at 50%. Pc --recovers on right edge.
--- Ken then
WHYD HE STAY ON PLAT???

OH YEAH PRESSURE SET UP
---falls through right plat and fairs
--into an lcancel and dashes back left towards mid map,

AH YES THE FAIR RETREAT MIX UP BEATIFUL Y'ALL EXPERIMENT A BIT
--then sword dances twice.
OWWWW I CAN'T SHOOT LASERS!!! PREVENTING THE APPROACH, SOMETHING??MAKING THE BIRD PLAY BY YOUR RULLLEES STAY CHEAP AND AGRO!, OR MAYBE THIS IS A CONSISTENT WAY TO PROLONG YOUR STOCK FROM SOMETHING THE BIRD WOULD'VE DONE INSTEAD OF ROLLING MAYBE THOSE TWO SWORD DANCE WERE A WALL TO PREVENT MORE COMMON HIGH LEVEL APPROACHS FROM EDGE OR MAYBE SOMEONE CAN FILL ME IN, CUZ I THINK KEN WAS PREDICTING SOMETHING IN THAT SITUATION BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BIRD COULD'VE DONE, ????

--But the FALCO rolled off of
--edge and came behind Marth
--bottom mid. Pc lands out
--of roll in shield then bairs out of
--shield. Hits Ken. Pc
--then up tilts fairly quickly after
--that but I can't tell if its
--an lcancel. Hits Ken he lands
--right PLAT. Pc stands
--still. Ken gets up with sword out(
---A- WHILE ON
--GROUND). Pc sh upairs fast fall --lcancel THEN FH through
--right plat attempts to meteor Ken --with a spike. But
--Ken DI from the upair let him air
--jump towards bottom mid
then bars right before hitting ground.
EVEN TO THE END OF THE JUMP HE STAYS THINKING THAT BACK AIR COULD'VE CLUTCHED IT IF FALCO WOULD'VE RUSHED TOO MUCh, COVERING OPTIONS WHILE RETREATING WAITING FOR A SET UP

Pc dashes off --right plat and spikes but whiffs. After Ken lcancels he --dashes right then left for a grab on FALCO.
HE WAS ****ING WIT U SINCE U CAME BACK FROM THE EDGE, JUST WAITING FOR U TO SNUCK UP, AND FINALLY GOT THAT GRAB OFF, AND HE GOT IT BOTTOM MID V E R Y I M P O R T A N T GRABBING WHILE BOTTOM MID AWESOME SET UP CONTROL.... HM IF HE ROLLS AWAY FROM ME I'LL SMASH HIM OFF THE MAP HM IF HE ROLLS TOWARDS ME THEN, WHICH HE SHOULD CUZ ROLLING TOWARDS THE EDGE U BETTER BE UP A STOCK OR RANDOM, OR SUMTHIN CRAZI, ILL JUST REGRAB HIM;)

-- Throws
--pc down, pc techs bottom mid.
--Ken reads then grabs
--again, and throws bottom mid. Pc --techs right, Ken
--reads and regrab throws left

ALRIGHT DO U REGRAB WHEN HE FINALLY GOES TECHS LEFT, GRAB THE BIRD WHILE AT EDGE.... GUYS THROW HIM OFF THE EDGE,PLUS THIS GUY DOWN TILTS HIM TO CAN U SAY GAUYYYYYYUU UNFAIR BUT LEGAL($))$
--dtilts. Hits pc and pc
--jumps back to prevent rush off.
--Ken dashes off and
AS A I MIGHT GIMP U OR SCARE U BUT THIS HAS SOME LOGIC TO IT AND DECENT REASON BEHIND IT SO I'LL DO I???PROLLY TRYING TO GIMP IT UP SAW THAT IT WASN'T GOING TO HAPPEN SO HE RETREATED
--see this, so Ken jumps back on
--bottom under left plat.
--Pc forward b's back onstage but
--is Dtilted by Ken.
DOWNTILT FRIEND ON PREVENTION OF OTHER PEOPLE ON MY YOSHI ISLAND

--trying to hold edge and cancel
--grab air jump dair
--FALCO during his recovery but
--fails. FALCO cancel
--grab edge air jump air dodges on
--map. Making Ken
--whiff his sword dance.

SOMEONE SHOW ME WHY HE SWORD DANCES

-- Ken attempts another sword
--dance but is shined by FALCO
--and then baired.
WHY MIST HE SWORD DANCE??? I DON'T GET IT!!!

-- Ken
--grabs left edge, while falcos spaced right under
--rightside of leftplat. Ken cancel
--grabs air jump fair and
FAIRING IT UP KEEP THE AGRO FOING BUT IT DIDINT WORK OUT THIS TIME EVEN THOUGH TECHNICALLY IT STILL HIT

--matches pcs smash but even
--though they both
--registered, falcos smash sent Ken --off map. Ken loses
--first stock.

Sent from my iPhone

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Ken swords danced a lot. Its a fast starting, meaty, far range attack that is safe on hit. Its not a particularly good move, but IMO Ken was a more fundamental player who didn't/doesn't play with the idea that there is one answer for each situation. He liked to mix it up and keep people from figuring out his moves.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I wish, i have money johns.

I have been considering just blowing through my [measly] savings to attend because I know it would be worth it, but then I start thinking of the consequences and I change my mind. I really want to go to a national right now, but Genesis doesn't seem like the best option for me. I will probably wait for the next EC national.

There is a 3rd option, a MW national, but that plan has not been planned enough to release any details ;)

safehaven

Banned via Warnings
mix it up

a phrase used way too often by some players

really a bad phrase cause u arent just doing different things because they are different then what u have previously done

u are thinking about what your opponent cannot or will not react to

****ty terminology is bad just saying

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
Big problem XD

Against my Falco friend, when I grab the edge, he likes to crouch near the edge of the stage and basically if I attack, he CCs it, roll or jump in the air he counters it. Any tips?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Oh its so close :(

If theres a big tourney any time after the 2nd week in june I might be able to manage it. Anything fit that description?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well i suppose there is still a chance for zenith. I'll talk to some people around here and see if anyone wants to make the trip.

Walt

Smash Ace
Big problem XD

Against my Falco friend, when I grab the edge, he likes to crouch near the edge of the stage and basically if I attack, he CCs it, roll or jump in the air he counters it. Any tips?
Maybe try ledgehop dair? If it tips he can't CC it, so just dair and try to get away before he can do whatever. Ledgehop airdodge then buffer a roll may get you on to the stage, ledgehop>counter may also work a couple times.

Niko45

Smash Master
If you ledge hop and do a super late fair and shield immediately you should be able to get it up in time to block the cc dsmash or whatever. The fair needs to be really late though and he could catch on and start punishing you for being vulnerable before the fair comes out.

Really at the end of the day you don't want to be camping the ledge or ****ing around on the ledge. Get up asap and don't give him time to setup traps like that whenever possible.

Oh and GETUP ATTACK from the ledge. Someone call me out if I'm wrong but it seems like getup attack is not CCable whenever I hit someone with it it always knocks them down. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?

MT_

Smash Ace
I think get-up attacks ARE CC-able but only at really low percents. I remember reading some CC chart or something like that detailing max %s moves can be CC'd at at get-up attacks were significantly lower than all other moves.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Kels does CC shine, idk what that guy's friend does. From my experimentation against kels and with it myself, it is mostly a spacing thing. You press B when they are in range of the shine which normally hits them out of the air. If they happen to hit you before/around that time, you are crouching and shine them after -- usually before they hit the ground.

edit- i thought getup attacks were possible to CC for a long time. I'll check this out...

edit 2- Well fox can CC marth's getup attack until after 150%. I stopped testing then. Tip hitbox seems to have no added bonus (tested tip hitbox around 100-120%)

MT_

Smash Ace
The more I think about it the more I remember how pitiful Marth's ledge get-up attack is and makes me feel like that particular get-up attack (from the ledge) can be CC'd until like 500%. lol.

^ yea I'm pretty sure Marth's ledge get-up attack may be an exception to the "get-up attacks are really hard to CC" trend (or maybe I'm just crazy).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Idk, i find most getup attacks (from edge) to be weak and CCable. They do knock down pretty early if the opponent doesn't crouch, though.

MT_

Smash Ace
Ok yeah I think I'm just remembering wrong. Maybe I got confused with the fact that they knock down early w/o CC.

OverLord

Smash Ace
Well, I don't really care when people CCs my aerials on the ledge, I usually Nair them with the tip. If they still CC (it depends on percentage whether the tipped Nair sends them backwards enough to not hit with the DSmash/Shine) I just tech the DSmash/Shine on the ground.

You can also just get up and grab him, sometimes it works when is not expected.

From my experience it's not so smart or much reliable crouching Marth's ledge aerials.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Oh and GETUP ATTACK from the ledge. Someone call me out if I'm wrong but it seems like getup attack is not CCable whenever I hit someone with it it always knocks them down. Does anyone know what the deal is with this?
It has set knockback, i.e. its knockback ignores the opponent's percent. This is true for both ledge attacks as well as both get-up attacks (face up, face down) on all characters.

Top Bottom