• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
"Combo" was a poor choice in wording and I agree the MU is largely based around being patient and not making the match more complicated than it needs to be.

MT_

Smash Ace
How are you supposed to DI Samus's throws at mid to high percents? My experience is they even on down+away DI I get dthrown (I think) to nair. I am atrocious at this matchup and have little experience in it (there was a time that I was up in set count against a resident Sheik player who then counterpicked Samus against me essentially giving up on the set, but then I lost to his Samus anyway), so anyone that has anything to offer in this area will be greatly appreciated!

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Seems like you would continue to get stuck in that situation of poor execution when playing faster if you didn't try to play faster than you are accustom too.
disagree. once you learn what to observe you can speed it up. Trying to figure out what to look at while playing faster than you can is just asking to struggle

D

Deleted member

How are you supposed to DI Samus's throws at mid to high percents? My experience is they even on down+away DI I get dthrown (I think) to nair. I am atrocious at this matchup and have little experience in it (there was a time that I was up in set count against a resident Sheik player who then counterpicked Samus against me essentially giving up on the set, but then I lost to his Samus anyway), so anyone that has anything to offer in this area will be greatly appreciated!
i'm actually not sure. usually i just mash for counter because i'm a massive douche and if that doesn't work i DI the nair correctly for whatever the occasion is. but then again i generally don't respect samus as a character.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
You say you mash for counter? I used to do that during combo's but stopped as I seen it as a crutch for bad combo DI (which I still have). Is there a secret use here i'm not seeing or do you just mess with Samus players?

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Poor Samus getting no respect.

I usually DI the dthrow away like PP said but the Samus getting I play doesn't really go for the grab too often. Seems like when he does though it's rarely dthrow-->Nair, but usually dthrow-->fmash or dthrow-->dsmash. But it doesn't really come up that often. If he does go for a grab it's usually a uthrow at lower percents but that's just him more than anything. As always though my favorite DI is the "Not get grabbed in the first place" direction. (Hehe). It's not terribly difficult to not get grabbed since the grabbox (or whatever it is called) is only at the end of her grapple and the grab itself is horribly telegraphed. Spot dodge is wonderful in this situation imo.

strawhats

Smash Master
so I finally have a chance to play marth vs samus some, so i was wondering if anyone would recommend some sets. M2k vs plup maybe? i can't find it on youtube. I'm looking for some solid edgeguarding ideas/demonstration
Have they played? if so someone link to the set please. Need work on the MU myself.

clowsui

Smash Legend
man frank is definitely higher on the guru scale than me, the man even has a question mark for an avatar

every time he posts i just imagine some dude in the mystic mountains (of wisconsin?) dropping one liners packed with smash knowledge.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Kadano, those posts were really interesting. Thanks for that.

I'm curious to see how jab and WD back fair play into the 50/50 though. I try to mix those in but having read your posts I have a feeling I've just been taking advantage of other people's mistakes; I get the gimp off the dthrow like every time if they go low and try to sweetspot. Maybe the Falcos I play against are just terrible at sweetspot DJs idk

Kadano

Magical Express
Kadano, those posts were really interesting. Thanks for that.

I'm curious to see how jab and WD back fair play into the 50/50 though. I try to mix those in but having read your posts I have a feeling I've just been taking advantage of other people's mistakes; I get the gimp off the dthrow like every time if they go low and try to sweetspot. Maybe the Falcos I play against are just terrible at sweetspot DJs idk
I’m pleased to serve.

Jab can’t hit perfect ss djs. Its lowest hitbubble is always higher than Falco’s hurtbubble.

WD back fair is sort of viable. Falco has to guess unless he has a reaction time under 10 frames (166 ms).

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
This is the post in which I thank the Marth mains that inspire me to get better. There are many others like it, but this one is mine:

Mew2king
Taj
Ken
Tai
Azen
Ice
Pewpewu
I.B.
Dr. PP
and many more!

Thanks.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
*Nod* I agree. Kind of ironic how 3 of the best marths ever aren't marth mains, isn't it?

Edit: Then again, one could make the argument that m2k is a dual main between Shiek and Marth.

D

Deleted member

the best marth ever is indisputably ken. won nearly every national and international tournament he ever attended for many years at the peak of the game's competitive appeal. in terms of straight win ratio, ken, m2k, and armada are all completely ridiculous players in their respective time periods.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
going to agree with umbreon on this one. just upthrow and win, dashdance camp...don't actually approach with CCable stuff and make the samus work. Impatience loses the match for you. Even more so than fighting peach

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
There are lots of character who have trouble getting down and Marth is amazing at exploiting that. You don't really get that feeling until you experience it from the other side. Play samus (or peach/luigi etc) against Marth and you will feel for hard it is to get down, then exploit it yourself.

Edit: I was replying to umbreon, didn't see there was another page.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
wouldn't they PS at useless angles? or do they seek samus?

edit: not that any of it really matters, since samus has to jump to do useful missiles

D

Deleted member

i mean, she's in the air and missles, and you fair it. she's on the ground and you A tap it and clash. problem solved. frank is the realest homie.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Umbreon, have you no sense of STYLE? I mean come on man, I just want to style on everyone and power shield all the things.

D

Deleted member

nah, i just want to kill my opponents rather than play with them.

on a side note, when i was a good tournament player in like 2004 and 2005, i used to show up to Pennsylvania tournaments with a cowboy hat even though it's not my style at all. but then again i could beat everyone in my state on random chars, which goes adds a lot of swag to your tournament presence lol

i solo'd a full crew with kirby in a cowboy hat. huge testicles.

Bones0

Smash Legend
nah, i just want to kill my opponents rather than play with them.

on a side note, when i was a good tournament player in like 2004 and 2005, i used to show up to Pennsylvania tournaments with a cowboy hat even though it's not my style at all. but then again i could beat everyone in my state on random chars, which goes adds a lot of swag to your tournament presence lol

i solo'd a full crew with kirby in a cowboy hat. huge testicles.
I will 4-stock you in Marth dittos while wearing a tiara (like a real king).

D

Deleted member

lol.

i mean, i generally outgrew this kind of stuff, but just lol. no one in the world can 4 stock me in marth dittos, and i haven't played since apex and i don't play marth. but just no lol. 0% chance.

Bones0

Smash Legend
lol.

i mean, i generally outgrew this kind of stuff, but just lol. no one in the world can 4 stock me in marth dittos, and i haven't played since apex and i don't play marth. but just no lol. 0% chance.
You haven't seen how good I am with Dancing Blade!

D

Deleted member

i told you i don't money match you cause i know you'll still play me anyway lol

unless we're on a stream, then we should team instead and hurt feelings lol

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I demand the video of you in a music video with dancing blades.
Nice avatar ;)

@everyone else

How do you all feel about going for Ken combos onstage/center stage?

Most people have good enough combo DI to not let you fair them 3 times (i.e. at most you will get two fairs) so I believe that the positional and or marginal gain of a fair->dair which leads to either miss tech->huge opening or tech read grab so you can uthrow->uair forever is greater than the gain you get for fair->fair. (Hell maybe fair->uair is actually the best option)

/*
edit:
does dair actually lag cancel fast enough to chase the tech consistently? it's pretty disproportional as far as the lag goes
*/

This decision making and cause effect tree is affected by MU, stage and % though. I think there should pretty much be more fair->dairs and fair->uairs really at anytime.

Max?

Bones0

Smash Legend
PPU seems to favor SHDFing, and then running with a FH dair instead of doing traditional Ken Combos. It allows him to react to the DI, and unlike a traditional Ken Combo, if they DI away on the last fair, you're on the ground instead of the air so you can just WD into fsmash/dtilt/ftilt. Idk if he is doing something in particular to make sure his fair chains always end on the ground, or if he just happened to be spaced properly for that when I saw him. As far as fair dair instead of fair/uair, I like it, but only out of SH. If you're even a little higher off the ground than SH distance, they're virtually guaranteed to react with a tech in time, and even if they tech a SH fair dair, you are on the ground soon enough to tech chase anyway.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have advice in the Marth VS Zelda matchup? I know her physics are a lot like Peach.
1. Dash dance a lot, and wait for her to throw out a bad aerial > Grab > uthrow.
2. Juggle her with Uairs.
3. Pretty much always grab ledge and wait when Zelda is far offstage then punish her lag if she makes it to the stage.
Don't get hit with her dash attack, and don't get caught by her Up Smash/Bair OoS.

Profit.

Top Bottom