• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Shield grab the jab. If she does double jab then shield grab the second jab.
I don't think that's a complete answer. If you wait for a second jab that never comes you lose, there is no indicator that will tell you whether or not sheik will jab again. Sounds like a good way to make jab->grab safe for the sheik player since you are waiting to react to a possible second jab. It works fine if you call it every time though, but that's not a strategy.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Text convo with my training partner DJ (not DJ Nintendo):

DJ: "3-0s M2K in Marth dittos. Apparently PP just has godmode dash dancing."

Bones: "I haven't even rewatched Apex GFs yet. Time management fail."

DJ: "It doesn't matter. It's impossible to understand what PP does anyways."

MT_

Smash Ace
I don't think that's a complete answer. If you wait for a second jab that never comes you lose, there is no indicator that will tell you whether or not sheik will jab again. Sounds like a good way to make jab->grab safe for the sheik player since you are waiting to react to a possible second jab. It works fine if you call it every time though, but that's not a strategy.
You're right that it isn't a complete answer. But it's something that works against jab pressure on shield after fair and it's important to recognize shieldgrab as an option against Sheik (and characters that aren't Fox/Falco; the same concept applies to any character that tries to shield pressure with jab like Falcon/sometimes Peach). Of course shieldgrabbing the jab can be beaten by a large number of mixups (most good Sheiks probably won't even opt to fair->jab your shield anyway; they'd probably prefer to fair->short hop or fair->dash away/fox trot away or something) but it's incredibly important to make Sheik wary of it.

Buffer rolling after fair seems like a good way to get grabbed. I'm pretty sure Sheik can fair->jab and reactively boost grab your roll if you roll in. If you roll away then goodbye stage control. But yeah, I think we both agree that you don't want to be in the situation in the first place but ignoring shieldgrab just because it isn't a perfect answer to getting your shield fair'd is silly. You have to at least keep her honest.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I think it just comes down to understanding what is possible and when to do either. :)
But here is a find @person who asked the original question, you can always beat second jab with marth's (or not samus') shield grab if sheik ever goes for it. Assuming it's not followed by rapid jabs lol. If you ever get double jabbed, you can always shield grab before she can do anything else so make sure to abuse that and stop her from having that mix up.

Sheik comes close to peach in terms of comparative safeness of her aerials on shield. The best way to deal with peach's turnip->fair combo really is to just avoid it all together. Same thing for when sheik hits your shield as marth. It's best to try and avoid that situation but if you get put into it, we gave you some options and possibilities for you to explore.

side note:
And fair-> single jab came up since it is a common and "fair"ly [lol] safe tool for sheik to use. I use it personally against peach a lot to stop nair's OoS (if you throw in a jab, you're likely to hit her before she can get a nair out, if you hit her shield you can fair->jab->dash or whatever)
and peach is much better OoS than Marth, so I imagine it works the same if not better vs him.
I think I have a solid understanding of how that sequence works after literally watching the same Amsah vs Armada set about 10 times. And from maining her.

Kadano

Magical Express
Someone is going to have to link me to these videos.
i'd like to see these videos too.
Yeah seriously would like a link to the videos! After watching PP face Armada I want to see where his Marth will go

Smash @ Xanadu (2013/02/23) – Dr. Peepee (Marth) vs Mew2King (Marth, Sheik)
http://twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/370682558

0:47:17: WF Dr. Peepee (Marth) vs Mew2King (Marth)
0:55:25: LF Mew2King (Sheik, Marth) vs ESAM (Samus)
1:08:12: GF Dr. Peepee (Marth) vs Mew2King (Sheik)
PPU just beat Shroomed's doc with Marth....Marth is on the rise? O.o
Can you give us a link to the set?

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
so i ran some calculations just now, and apparently up to around 115-120% tipper dsmash is more poweful than fox's upsmash, although the angle is less vertical. and we all know the first hit is 2 frames faster. its kinda comparably punishable on whiff to fsmash (14 frame difference), in that both are extremely punishable. non tipper is safe on hit at any percent you should consider using it, and often combos into fair/nair/uair. if not, they are still above you. it doesnt have godlike range like marths other attacks, but its got enough to out-space alot of other characters attacks. obviously the practical application of these things is more important, but im gonna start experimenting with it. i think dsmash could be used as an effective high risk, high reward move

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Downsmash is definitely not safe on hit, you can just CC it and punish and even then at lower percentage you'll still get hit without CC as long as the character doesnt fall down. Also i'm not sure how you would set this up in the first place when there are better tools to use instead of that.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Downsmash is definitely not safe on hit, you can just CC it and punish and even then at lower percentage you'll still get hit without CC as long as the character doesnt fall down. Also i'm not sure how you would set this up in the first place when there are better tools to use instead of that.
I don't even think you need to CC it lol it's so laggy and bad a low percent. And the best set up I can think of is off tech chases. The way I see it, if jiggs can metagame a move with like 5 seconds of lag and only hits a small area for 1 frame we can metagame a tipper dsmash.

Kadano

Magical Express
There is no realistic setup for tipper-dsmash that doesn't allow tipper-fsmash too. Fsmash has a larger sweetspot and also slightly larger range. The only viable applcation where it might be better than fsmash is for techchasing certain characters whose techroll length and invincibility duration allow for both the first hit to cover neutral tech and for the second hit to cover a tech roll behind you. I don't know if there is a character that would get tippered in both cases, has anyone here run tests for this yet?

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
There is no realistic setup for tipper-dsmash that doesn't allow tipper-fsmash too. Fsmash has a larger sweetspot and also slightly larger range. The only viable applcation where it might be better than fsmash is for techchasing certain characters whose techroll length and invincibility duration allow for both the first hit to cover neutral tech and for the second hit to cover a tech roll behind you. I don't know if there is a character that would get tippered in both cases, has anyone here run tests for this yet?
Well I'll tell you it is much easier to chase a tech with tipper dmash than it is tipper fsmash. Mango/Scorp got a lot of those when he went Marth. Dsmash is just about interchangeable with grabbing after a tech read. It's just much more laggy if you miss or don't use it correctly.

Edit:
@PP

I just rewatched your games against M2K at Xanadu and I have to say, what the hell man?? Why are you so bold lol? You played so well and to the tee, it's like M2K said something about your Mother and your Marth.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
How would you suggest going about getting better at this? I seem to get stuck a lot at the "throwing them up then wrecking them" part. There just seem like there are so many variables... when/if they fastfall, when/if they airdodge, if they'll come down with an aerial and when and which kind, if they'll go for a platform or ledgecancel... I find it frustrating to just get u-throw->u-air->nothing because I swing too early, or just get hit because I wait too long baiting things out. Might just be scrub problems though.

With regards to the last part of this,I feel like the soft reverse hit on top of fair is underutilized too, it's really cool for manipulating people onto/off of platforms or off stage, and has a nice amount of hitstun that links well into another fair or u-air.

This made me laugh. Hahaha... yeah.

Can you expand on point 1 a bit? Whenever I get faired, Sheik usually does some jab/tilt witchcraft and all of the sudden I've been grabbed or tic-grabbed, or they'll jab once or twice and call a roll/wd/jump/whatever.

I feel more comfortable with points two and three. My mixups are alright, and my proudest moment in tournament so far was 0-170-deathing a Sheik who's a much better player than I am by u-air u-air u-air u-airing off the top of FD :laugh: Marth's movement and juggle games really are a blessing against Sheik.

Thanks for the post and congratulations on your victory!
The cool part is that you recognize what they could do. See, back in the day, people didn't know what they could do, but they went to manipulate people instead to do what they wanted them to do. Now we swung too far the other way, and know more options but don't try to act on them.

If you know pretty much everything they will do, then you need to simplify the process. Obviously no one, not even myself, M2K, or anyone else, can get a perfect read just standing still and HOPING the opponent chooses what we think they will. You have to have a way to lower the amount of options your opponent can do or is likely to do based on YOUR actions. When you think of a situation, think not only of their options but of yours and the interaction between the two sets of options, and try to find what leaves you with the easiest/strongest reads or punishes.

Example: I throw a Sheik up from the middle of FD at 100%. I get an upair and they DI the throw in and the Uair out so they're straight above me. Taking conditioning out of the equation for now, I know that if I walk left or right then the opponent will(at least initially) move to the opposite side as they fall. This is important! I have already controlled what they will do from far away and reduced their options considerably(they can no longer mix up which full side they want to go to and if they want to take middle they will have to change abruptly or early on and I can account for either.) You can figure out the rest working like this I'm sure. =)

I'd also like to point out for #1 that you don't have to get your shield Fair'd as often as you think. If they jump kinda far away from you then you can Fair/Ftilt them, and if they do it close to you then you can Nair them. So don't ever just accept bad situations, learn to beat them but also learn to avoid them!

But yeah if it happens, then work on shield DI or attack/grab after their ground move because that's when Sheik is most vulnerable. The point is that shield pressure should be interplay between both the one pressuring and the one being pressured. If they can always Fair to ground move to grab your shield then you're not adapting and letting them get away for free. WATCH WHAT THEY DO AND REMEMBER IT! WRITE IT DOWN IF NEEDED!

@dude talkin about marth vs the chain: yeah I mean on platformed stages maybe it can be handled? I dunno but the sheik player's hand gets tired holding down B so that's something nice lol.

so i ran some calculations just now, and apparently up to around 115-120% tipper dsmash is more poweful than fox's upsmash, although the angle is less vertical. and we all know the first hit is 2 frames faster. its kinda comparably punishable on whiff to fsmash (14 frame difference), in that both are extremely punishable. non tipper is safe on hit at any percent you should consider using it, and often combos into fair/nair/uair. if not, they are still above you. it doesnt have godlike range like marths other attacks, but its got enough to out-space alot of other characters attacks. obviously the practical application of these things is more important, but im gonna start experimenting with it. i think dsmash could be used as an effective high risk, high reward move
Considering Marth can have trouble killing in that range(not sure what matchup you tested this on though,) that's pretty cool!

I've heard talk of Dsmash off and on, and it may be time I began experimenting with it in some matchups....

Bones0

Smash Legend
You're completely overlooking the fact that it kills off the top and comes out like twice as fast. Not only is killing off the top going to be more useful vs. characters like Peach and Samus who are heavy and floaty, but if the opponent is DIing upwards for an fsmash then a dsmash will kill even earlier because they aren't DIing left or right.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Tipper down smash (hits frame 5) is way faster than tipper forward smash (hits frame 10 or later), especially for low hits (forward smash takes a couple extra frames to swing down). This makes a lot of things possible to do on reaction, whereas for forward smash you'd have to guess.

(oops, I had this in my composer without actually clicking "post reply" for quite some time, but yeah, I agree with Bones0)

Kadano

Magical Express
How often can you even techchase Peach or Samus at killing %? I don't know any setups for this.
Alright, I worded my last post too drastically. I'm still a bit frustrated, there was a time when I was trying really hard to incorporate tipper dsmash into my anti-floaty game, but I found that it's just not possible to get floaties into a position where they can be reliably killed with tipper dsmash.
There are realistic setups, like the one at the end of Mango vs Lucky 5 where Mango punishes a missed tech. Fsmash probably would have been too slow.

strawhats

Smash Master
yo pp...any insight as to why m2k was using green marth/instead of the usual black (Dark Knight) marth

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
^reasons why I don't post about Mango.

But yeah, I think M2k just wasn't very invested in the Marth ditto. I doubt he cares a lot about color at any rate.

Your guess could very well be as good as mine!

D

Deleted member

i saw the marth ditto.

there was some good stuff.

also a lot of sandbagging.

meh

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
He played pretty badly and was mad about it when he was playing Esam. It was visible on his face. Brawl and not practice will getcha.

I still think I could take him in the ditto now, but yeah that was far from his best in that matchup.

D

Deleted member

i mean i would have beat m2k with him playing like that. i didn't finish watching the 2nd set.

D

Deleted member

kevin you had one particularly brilliant part of the first set that i would like to praise you for. at one point in the first set, you had a free but mediocre aerial hit on jason available, and instead of taking it you deliberately moved like you were going to, then stopped, and grabbed him to downthrow him off the stage instead for a much more lethal positioning advantage. your ability to actively force yourself to make the correct decision that would have been automatic for many players speaks to your personal intelligence. i would have taken the free hit too, and i realized that your line of play was better than my projected line of play as i watched you do it. very smart.

strawhats

Smash Master
He played pretty badly and was mad about it when he was playing Esam. It was visible on his face. Brawl and not practice will getcha.

I still think I could take him in the ditto now, but yeah that was far from his best in that matchup.
Welp...on to the next. Time to figure out the Yellow rat in the Party hat. (love you Axe, but you're too broken vs marth <3)

But seriously I'd love to see your marth vs axe's Pikachu. PPU seems to have figured something out against Dajuan's doc.

Top Bottom