• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Falco's run accelerates faster than his walk as well (this is visually obvious). Although, I'm actually just going off memory here, and I don't play Falco, so I could be spreading misinformation.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
If you time up B right, you can use it as a legit shoryuken. Works on spacie nairs really, really well. You just have to know when they are low enough to get sweetspotted

up B as a replacement for grab at high % in general is really good. Mostly on whiff punishes.

beencake

Smash Apprentice
If you time up B right, you can use it as a legit shoryuken. Works on spacie nairs really, really well. You just have to know when they are low enough to get sweetspotted

up B as a replacement for grab at high % in general is really good. Mostly on whiff punishes.
Not if you time up B right, but you mean if the spacie ****s up i hope lol?

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so reverse Upb is no use and Falco walk speed is slower than his run speed.

Bones0, you taught me a lot of disappointing things today...

D

Deleted member

this thread is awful.

bones shorten your sig or i'm blocking you. that length is offensive.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah its definitely something worth learning. Its probably the most useful new thing to add to your game at this point.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i find it helps greatly to find which direction you're better at shield dropping in

i'm multiples better at shield dropping when i roll from left -> down-left

as opposed to rolling the control stick from right -> down right

or if you're a weirdo and like to meticulously regulate the speed of your control stick going straight down

Navn

Smash Apprentice
i find it helps greatly to find which direction you're better at shield dropping in

i'm multiples better at shield dropping when i roll from left -> down-left

as opposed to rolling the control stick from right -> down right

or if you're a weirdo and like to meticulously regulate the speed of your control stick going straight down
I'm also a weirdo. How do you get the control stick to the left position without rolling or exposing your self to shield-pokage?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well usually on a platform you dont have to worry about your head. To get your shield to the left/right without rolling, either keep it there after dashing or move it slowly enough that you wont roll (shield tilt). From there just roll your control stick down to 45° and you're golden.

MT_

Smash Ace
Axe said he puts his stick to the side during all sorts of different lags (l-cancels, techs, wave lands, dashing into shield, etc). I think he just always tries to put the stick to the side before the shield comes up one way or another which isn't do hard to do in most situations. It's not like you'll just plainly jump on a platform in the first place; most likely you'll be doing something and that something will have some sort of lag or buffer time to allow you to hold your stick to the side before you put up your shield.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
I read Bones0's post about tech chasing with marth, and how one should never shield pre-emptively because everything is possible to react to. I did some testing with Fox, and noticed that he has 2 different getup-attacks, depending on whether he lands on his back (hits front -> back) or his front (hits back -> front). It seems very hard to react to the getup-attacks that hit your direction first. How do you circumvent getting hit while still maintaining the "react to everything"-mindset?

C.J.

Smash Master
New to melee-
Fair vs nair usage? I'm starting to understand when to use which in specific situations, but as far as a general rule of thumb goes, I would appreciate some general advise.

C.J.

Smash Master
How come? Retreating nair seems safer due to the more-active-frames hitbox. It also, at least in my limited experience seems effective vs fox when he is at a range to jump in with nair alongside other situations.

I openly admit I know very little about the differences and am looking at them from a brawl-version of the move perspective. I will happily restructure how I play if given superior options/why though.

Aber

Smash Journeyman
non fast-falled aerials (specifically nair), just beginning to experiment with them....usefullness? opinions?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
CJ: Nair is cool in that very example vs Fox you described. Watch M2K as he DDs into Nair in place/retreating Nair to explore the potential further.

Generally, Marth doesn't want to be jumping so I hate telling you to pick one or the other when both could be bad LOL. As zoning tools, Fair will be useful faster than Nair I guess but Nair can be autocanceled so it's about your goals when zoning that matter when selecting the tool.

I like Beat's answer the most =D

Hmm.... You have falcon in shield. Do you continue to block his retreat options such as spacing nair on shield or just grab and risk a possible spot dodge?

As for short hopping within a neutral setting you are waiting for something. Instead of moving around and getting to a better spot you decide to make a stand here and hope the other person do something near your vicinity in a short hop as you forfeit nearly all options save a few.

So as for not fast falling aerials, it does show benefits when using an aerial is a good and you want to wait for something. For example, an edgeguard or underneath a platform. Other than this, I am not sure what more there is to say about it other than short hopping without fast falling perhaps other than you get to space moves on someone who is letting you space moves on them.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I read Bones0's post about tech chasing with marth, and how one should never shield pre-emptively because everything is possible to react to.
I pre-emptive all the time, man.

Find your own style imo.

Non ff aerials: Doing them late or fading back is too good.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Shielding is a form of reacting. Marth isn't fox; you can't just stand outside of getup attack range and also be able to cover roll away options on reaction. Its simply not possible. Hell, you'll probably have a lot of trouble covering standing up if you're waiting outside getup attack range. If you run into getup attack range and shield, you can cover 3 options (standup, getup attack, roll towards you) on reaction and take positional advantage on the last.

It has to be said, that how a person plays in tournament and how they play in every other game is very very different. When you are in that ultra focused mindset you can react to things faster than you ever have before. In this case, yes, feel free to react to the getup attack, it is possible even if they hit your direction first. When you're in friendlies, though, I recommend thinking about strategies, prediction and option coverage more than reaction.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
pretty sure i ran tests a long time ago with marth and found that you couldn't react and have guaranteed punish while staying out of getup attack range but you could cover everything but roll away, but i can't remember if you can run up and actually react to the get up attack and cover both rolls. I've heard you can, but i've never seen anything definite. I feel like doing it when they attack the wrong way with the get up attack first though is really easy

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
yeah, and i'm wondering if anyone ran tests on that. I only ran tests from staying outside get up attack range cause i never bothered to memorize the animations as would be needed to differentiate for shield on reaction for get up attack while still reacting with dashes to grab the rolls

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well all you really need to know is what the rolls look like, since you can cover stand up and getup attack the same way

Top Bottom