• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's the actual box the stick is in (at least the ones that I've seen are because of that). It should be pretty obvious because the stick will move around when you move the controller around...

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
by the way, i have a controller question directed towards cactuar.

whenever a control stick has begun to "slide" (like, it'll hold left for a while after tapping left for only a little bit), is this a structural problem with the control stick box or is it an electrical problem with the PCB? do you know how to fix it?
I really want to answer this one but you asked cactuar, so I'll just wait for his reply and then confirm.
It's the actual box the stick is in (at least the ones that I've seen are because of that). It should be pretty obvious because the stick will move around when you move the controller around...
I'd assume there's too much friction for whatever reason in the control stick box, preventing the stick from snapping straight to middle. If the plastic bars aren't bent, cleaning it out (don't dismantle, just clean what you can see without putting pressure on anything), and applying a plastic safe lube to help reduce the friction might do the trick. Any repair effort that is more involved than a simple clean and lube has an extreme probability of either completely ruining the control stick box, or at the least, making it feel much different than it was before.

Without taking it apart and seeing it, its still a guess, however educated.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I'd assume there's too much friction for whatever reason in the control stick box, preventing the stick from snapping straight to middle. If the plastic bars aren't bent, cleaning it out (don't dismantle, just clean what you can see without putting pressure on anything), and applying a plastic safe lube to help reduce the friction might do the trick. Any repair effort that is more involved than a simple clean and lube has an extreme probability of either completely ruining the control stick box, or at the least, making it feel much different than it was before.

Without taking it apart and seeing it, its still a guess, however educated.
I ended up talking to him over AIM about this and that's almost word for word what I said.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
btw, cactuar's post was pretty useful..it gave me some new kill setups with marth..something marth drastically needs..didn't realize wavedash momentum carries over and affects the dash

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
So I've been punishing with Utilt, its kinda sex. But I've been trying to do some cool dair stuff. Any tips on when to land dairs? There are def better options, but it's so satisfying.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"You've never WD'd back then dashed forward and seen Marth go nowhere?"

if you just wait long enough then the effect wears off. I just always considered the time in which momentum was still persisting as "lag" time..so now I have the option to move a little faster out of wavedashes but only for super short distances

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
It was one of my primary juking tools back when I was a Marth main. It doesn't work as well with Fox due to higher friction.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Umm. I think I use it a bit in the matches vs Cort from Evo East.

Its kindof like an extension to the simple dash toward, wavedash back. You dash forward again, and the opponent will often try to punish/avoid your movement in, because your stance looks like you are moving toward them, even though you are actually just stuck in place. If they flinched and did something, you just do a quick DD movement out of it, away then toward, because it still counts as you being in the dash animation, and you get a free, very sudden looking grab. You can also dash attack straight from the stall. If you feel threatened for whatever reason, you can simply do another wavedash away from the stall.

The benefit of this over simple dash dancing is that you are always facing toward your opponent, and you are constantly checking your own spacing, beginning your juke by creating space to react with.

An alternate method of juking was during a dash dance, while dashing away, wavedash backwards toward the opponent, then dash away and stall, then straight dash toward them and grab. It looks like you teleport grab because of how quick it can be. The PA crowd is pretty familiar with me doing this from forward walking and from WDing back toward them.

I used to call it momentum stalling. I wrote a lot about it back in 2007. I am really tight with my dash timings out of wd because of how much I did this as Marth, which is, in part, why my movement is "smooth" rather than "technical".

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
You dash forward again, and the opponent will often try to punish/avoid your movement in, because your stance looks like you are moving toward them, even though you are actually just stuck in place. If they flinched and did something, you just do a quick DD movement out of it, away then toward, because it still counts as you being in the dash animation, and you get a free, very sudden looking grab. You can also dash attack straight from the stall. If you feel threatened for whatever reason, you can simply do another wavedash away from the stall.

The benefit of this over simple dash dancing is that you are always facing toward your opponent, and you are constantly checking your own spacing, beginning your juke by creating space to react with.
Interesting. An alternative to my usual wavedash back->react.

A little bit more proactive though (there's more depth to the bait; its not just a simple WD), so I wonder if it will throw off people's timings.

An alternate method of juking was during a dash dance, while dashing away, wavedash backwards toward the opponent, then dash away and stall, then straight dash toward them and grab. It looks like you teleport grab because of how quick it can be. The PA crowd is pretty familiar with me doing this from forward walking and from WDing back toward them. .
Yeah I do this one all the time. One day I just discovered it on accident and started spammin it lol.

It carries all the risks that wavedashing toward an opponent typically does, but it works super well when they are pressured/frozen. The best part is that you're in Marth's dash away animation (super low to the ground) during the juke so you'll randomly dodge a bunch of moves

Dashing behind them and pivot grabbing after this is really good too

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Random simple matchup question: Last night I was playing against a buddy who mains Yoshi. He's pretty fluent in his tech skill so he knows what he's doing and he also has had a good amount of Marth practice. We ran somewhat even in all our matches, but my ongoing struggle was that I was having a very difficult time taking his stocks. With proper DI, heavy weight, and super armor on his double jump, he would just keep coming back. Quite often he would be at 170% or more before I got a kill with most of them being random F-Smashes being thrown out when he wasn't expecting it.

I imagine there has to be a better way of getting around this? My buddy told me to catch him out of his double jump, but I couldn't find a good opportunity to do so. Tipssss?

Bones0

Smash Legend
My Yoshi is really awful, but when I play it vs. my partner's Marth, I always feel like I die SUPER early. Even with DJC armor, I think tipped fairs/bairs knock him out of it, so just jumping out further to edgeguard maybe. I also feel like dtilt gimped any low recoveries. I would ask on the Yoshi boards since they can probably give you better advice on how to deal with him since most people don't have Yoshi exp.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
how the heck does anyone not remember that set? you are obviously not a marth main...every marth main has probably watched those sets 5 times and has the entire thing memorized

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
every time i make a freaking post, i have to go back and correct my grammar later:(

does everyone proofread or posting or do some people just not make errors..but i swear I didn't have errors in my post all the time until i started studying korean regularly..it's like my subconscious just suddenly forgot things like subject verb agreement, what verb tense is proper, etc

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I've started to have random little grammatical errors in my posts, or moments where I will completely forget a word that was integral to the post, and I go back and read them, and I'm like, "How do people not notice these?" Or maybe they do, and it's the internet. I don't even have a foreign language excuse.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think Strong Bad was just kidding, lol. But yeah, no one knows just how GOOD this character is, ahhhhh. He's amazing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
umbreon you're clearly new to the marth boards

the idea is to watch a marth that ISN'T mew2king, copy him (badly), and then go complain about how bad marth is here.

:marthmelee:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
In the offchance I play Marth, I'd copy mew2king for spacies and cactuar for everything else
=)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Im not stupid enough to go any other character than Ganon vs him, it's probably my best chance to do it this way.. Its a different story vs the other 4. (I'll probably need something else for them)

If Marth is bad then I have no idea what to say to you guys! I'll show you how bad he is... if an unrelenting spirit is fitting for Marth then I will change the way everyone will look at him. The violent side of Marth.. ;)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
lol

marth is far and away the most misunderstood character in this game by a fat margin.
You believe you've solved him then?

I think the character has farther to go personally.

Im not stupid enough to go any other character than Ganon vs him, it's probably my best chance to do it this way.. Its a different story vs the other 4. (I'll probably need something else for them)

If Marth is bad then I have no idea what to say to you guys! I'll show you how bad he is... if an unrelenting spirit is fitting for Marth then I will change the way everyone will look at him. The violent side of Marth.. ;)
must....not...lazy....

Top Bottom