• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the best thing you can do is not to become predictable. you have some options that are safer than others such as tech in place/miss the tech -> stand up into a buffered roll or spotdodge, but don't do the same thing every time. never.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That's when you know you're really starting to get somewhere as Marth.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
honestly...

i think all of marth's MUs against viable characters are 6/4 within 4-6 and 6-4

his main strengths are have holes that are exploitable by good and bad characters.... but they're still strong enough and he has enough options to deal with the other good characters

and he gets punished relatively hard

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys do at low percents against fast people (Fox, Falcon?) since you can't really combo and they crouch cancel a lot (at least Fox does)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DD wd movement, low SH fairs, spaced dtilts. Oh, and grab. These days though I don't even CG, I just dthrow tech-chase... SAME OUTCOME

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
yeah all of what you can do against spacies at low percents starts from a grab. if theyre at 0% (especially falco) you should do forward throw regrab twice, then start wtih u throw chaingrabs. if there is a platform above you, you have to be reactive and watch whether they tech on it or not, just wait for them to get up then utilt or falling uair -> utilt combo.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
honestly...

i think all of marth's MUs against viable characters are 6/4 within 4-6 and 6-4

his main strengths are have holes that are exploitable by good and bad characters.... but they're still strong enough and he has enough options to deal with the other good characters

and he gets punished relatively hard
+1

My philosophy is that you should always focus on how to play the matchup and not which character wins or loses the matchup. All of Marth's relevant matchups are about even so for the most part you are facing an equally dangerous opponent. I think dwelling on Marth's slight deficiencies in certain matchups just leads to frustration and therefore some stagnation of creative solutions (see: counterpicking to a secondary character). Also, matchups where Marth wins slightly can lead to overconfidence and sloppy play. Either way, any of those habits are those that coincide with losing, and are mentalities competitive players should avoid like the plague.

Ultimately, its not so much about how Marth matches up with a character, but how you match up with a character.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
my mindset in punishing a fastfaller from a grab is like...

(what % are they? will they be thrown too high if i uthrow?)
if theyre at a lowish percent, ill combo with uair/utilts, other aerials, reactively punish DI, and finish with an edgeguard... but if i'm feeling lazy then ill just fthrow/dthrow tech chase to rack up damage (depending on how close i am to the ledge will determine if i want to tech chase or not)

a lot of the times its better to just tech chase at lower percents, especially if your chaingrabbing isnt up to par (i really feel like mine isnt). because chaingrabbing at lower percents, and comboing at lower percents can sometimes be very tricky to those who arent extremely technically proficient.

and if you're feeling like mew2king, just tech chase them to the ledge and then throw them off ->> gimp. but we're not mew2king

Niko45

Smash Master
a lot of the times its better to just tech chase at lower percents, especially if your chaingrabbing isnt up to par (i really feel like mine isnt). because chaingrabbing at lower percents, and comboing at lower percents can sometimes be very tricky to those who arent extremely technically proficient.
QFT.

Especially against Falco I'm finding that tech chasing ***** much more. He's not as fast as Fox so it's harder for him to escape being cornered and he also has better escapes than Fox from chain grabs.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
yeah all of what you can do against spacies at low percents starts from a grab. if theyre at 0% (especially falco) you should do forward throw regrab twice, then start wtih u throw chaingrabs. if there is a platform above you, you have to be reactive and watch whether they tech on it or not, just wait for them to get up then utilt or falling uair -> utilt combo.
The forward throw regrab isn't a true chain grab. If they tech then yes, but a non tech spot dodge with dodge the grab and get you *****. It all depends on the person you are playing against.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
chaingrab until mid 30s
if they DI left or right, keep chaingrabbing into the 50s-60s
if they don't DI or do slight DI, i think you can start juggling

after the 50s-60s and they still DI.... idk just hit them lol

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
chaingrab until mid 30s
if they DI left or right, keep chaingrabbing into the 50s-60s
if they don't DI or do slight DI, i think you can start juggling

after the 50s-60s and they still DI.... idk just hit them lol
Once they are in the 30s you can uptilt regrab (fox/falco). After that it's a matter of reading DI to either regrab or juggle as TAI said. Falco you can chaingrab a bit longer cause he falls faster, but juggling is definitely worth practicing. Uair a billion times until they are around 100 or so, then tipper fsmash if they are still on stage. Off stage? Edge guard like a boss.

Pi

Smash Hero
lemme get all your opinions on the marth samus matchup

imo it's 60/40 marths favor

also on neutrals:
FD goes to marth
yoshi's goes to marth
FoD goes to marth
BF is even
DL is even

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Once they are in the 30s you can uptilt regrab (fox/falco). After that it's a matter of reading DI to either regrab or juggle as TAI said. Falco you can chaingrab a bit longer cause he falls faster, but juggling is definitely worth practicing. Uair a billion times until they are around 100 or so, then tipper fsmash if they are still on stage. Off stage? Edge guard like a boss.
you can also u-throw tipper sometimes
i dont know the percents at all
but i usually do it when i feel like it
and i almost always land it

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
I heard from my buddy a pretty good Samus main (dark mike) that Marth is his worst matchup in the game. Idk how exaggerated this is, but watching old hugs Ken videos makes me kinda believe it lol.

On the spacies cg issue also remember if they di up or no di, at around 22-23% you gotta start pivot regrabbing otherwise they can shine you out or you will miss the grab, one of the two

:phone:

Niko45

Smash Master

also on neutrals:
FD goes to marth
yoshi's goes to marth
FoD goes to marth
BF is even
DL is even
Agree pretty much. I might say BF is adv Marth and DL is adv Samus. Same difference really.

A tipper from fsmash usually works below 60% I thought and to about as high as 70% if there is no great about of DI. If you do tipper, it should be an easy edgeguard on falco, unless you decided to tipper towards the center of the stage.

I feel like Marth should get most of his KOs from edgeguards, so the larger blast zones don't seem to bother him too much. I do not mind it as much.

Pi

Smash Hero
i still feel that on DL marth outclasses samus
samus can't really take advantage of the platforms for missile **** because they're too high
and while she does live longer, so does marth, most of samus' kill moves can be DI'd to the top corner so most likely the marth is going to make it back unless he gets gimped
and the platforms can be maneuvered by marth well enough to cover samus decent back to the stage i feel

stages like FoD & KJ64 offer a safer decent because of the platform shenanegins, compared to DL

i'd also like to add that while samus can get back to the edge, marth doesn't exactly have a hard time putting her back off the stage from there

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
I don't really agree that marth lives longer on dl the same as Samus does. Marths horizontal recovery sucks and unless he gets hit to one of the top corners WITH an unused over b and a jump, he's basically dead

:phone:

booshk

Smash Lord
i love dream land as a stage. i know it's bad for marth but dreamlands sick

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman

also on neutrals:
FD goes to marth
yoshi's goes to marth
FoD goes to marth
BF is even
DL is even
I agree with 60:40.

But I see FD are more of an equal stage, if not Samus's advantage. Sure its a great Marth stage, but Samus is just really, really campy.

Also, how come Battlefield is even? Overall, I really hate this stage but ironically, Marth is the only character that makes me happy to play on this stage.

The platforms are great (I can still F-Smash, U-Tilt, etc through them) and the fact that Samus can only grab the ledge with her Z-Air (I think?) opposed to other stages like Dreamland make it more difficult for her to recover.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
yeah the lack of grapple recovery really helps make BF my favorite neutral against samus for every character.

.... but shes also my worst MU so what do i know

....so what do i know
I felt like coming up with a snappy sentence to this cliche line.

At first I was going to say, "More than me!" However, I felt this was rather pointless line that someone reads then forgets.
I was turning over the idea of "you know nothing!" in my head, but that too is cliched and lacks originality.
The idea of a sexual reference came to mind too, but I dismissed.

Many other lines I contemplated and each throw out. I realize any sort of retort ends up being really cliched anyway and unamusing since you would have heard of it over and over again. I must confess, are all the amusing retorts and obnoxious responses used up? Is there anything these days that is new and original? I have my doubts.

Now, I have wasted 5 minutes of my life contemplating a useless notion. Oh look, "wasting X minutes of my life on some useless task" another cliche liner. *sigh*

What does one do against mewtwo? Mewtwo cannot approach or do much to marth. Although, I find myself trying to kill something that will not die and with enough mistakes, Mewtwo gets a gimp on marth.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
Dreamland is good for Marth vs. Ganon to answer a previous question.

As for Samus, I feel like it's more in Marth's favor than 60:40, he can easily deal with all of her projectiles with so much as a simple jab, and can juggle Samus FOREVER.

Top Bottom