• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

DJRome

Smash Hero
so just now, i did 2 things i cannot replicate in training mode in about 10 seconds on ys.

1st, i walk off turn around as i slide off and fair -_-
2nd, i walk off bair and somehow still stay on the platform without hitting anyone. it's like how phanna does in those videos except i don't have to hit anyone and i still stay on.

anyone know if these could ever be useful/repeatable?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
1st one is probably a PC to aerial. I had invented something like that in my head once but never was able to do it consistently. PC, fast fall past edge double jump dair/bair.

2nd is probably just like u explained it, though i have no knowledge of bair working that way. if you walked off it may have to do with marth moving his body during the swing that placed you back onto the platform.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
top5 TO use: dtilt. fair. ftilt. fsmash. nair.
top5 to NOT use: dtilt. fair. ftilt. fsmash. nair.
best approach: dtilt.
what to look for in combos: dash attack

The match-up isn't so much about what moves to use but when to use them. Marth's match-ups aren't quite as simple as other characters', you cant just be like "X move beats everything they do". Peach has an answer to every move marth has, but marth really should destroy her in the match-up.
eh

i wasnt trying to reduce this to rps. more trying to create a foundation for the matchup. if there are particular situarions that tend to come up frequently in a particular matchup, then for beginners, limiting their options to ~moves might help to more easily think through what they should be doing/focusing on

i got the idea from the tekken boards. it really helped me when learning a particular character to have her main moves listed out to kind of start out learning what i should/should not be doing. with practice of course, u learn more situations along with creative/efficient ways to deal with them.

its a start, not an end all be all

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
So marth mains

How do we DESTROY zelda?

I know she has to get ***** by marth.

I might just play fox vs her. Fox ***** her like 70-30 pretty sure.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
So marth mains

How do we DESTROY zelda?

I know she has to get ***** by marth.

I might just play fox vs her. Fox ***** her like 70-30 pretty sure.
if ur talking about playing vs cosmo, he is really good against spacies. Unless u camp like hylian, then w/e.

Marth can outspace zelda pretty well. Last time I played marth against cosmo the game went to high percent last stock, but he took it. I'll get him next time :p

Dart!

Smash Master
Hopefully at the next tourney i play cosmo, if you space her out with the right moves and get her in her shield and then get inside (meaning inside her sweetspot so like her thigh/knee area) all you have to worry about is upsmash out of shield. Which you should be able to beat with a shield garb i believe.

JUST DONT DO **** ON HER SHIELD THAT ISNT SAFE.
Don't space dtilts, idt even your iasa can get away from a kick OoS
only fair iasa dash through her or vice versa if she expects the dash through

earla

Smash Lord
how does buffering work in melee? input 10 frames before the move like brawl?

is buffering ever used for marth effectively?

cheers

also

what are marths 'fair and nair' role in marths moveset? how do you use them both effectively?

Alright... so I have been seening a lot of marth v falco recently and I am thinking jab is probably a better defence than shielding falco's approaches. Shielding is a freaking frame trap.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
How do you start learning how to pick up Marth?
What do you need to know
I really know nothing about him, I find him a very hard character to control and I can never combo off grabs, Up-tilts, f-airs (etc)
Are there any specific Techs that only Marth knows (such as C.F's Gentleman)

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
start by learning marth's fundamentals:
learn how to tipper -> always. spacing is important for every character, but I dont think any character's spacing is as crucial as marth's; he practically has double the moveset because of how different his tippered moves are from the normal ones are. I started by learning to d-air tipper. on any standing opponent, I would just repeatedly d-air until li heard that gloriously familiar tipper sound every single time. Once i could do that, i would up throw and then dair to make sure i could space it on a moving opponent. while not as crucial as fair, I found that it was easier to grasp the concept of tipper distances with dair. Next of course, branch out to marth's other really good tippered moves: fair, f smash, and up ai. eventually, though, u want to be able to tipper everything on command. 9 times out of ten, u want ur moves to be tippered.

learn to combo off of grabs. while most situations in melee call for different responses, when ur learning fundamentals, always try to go for what works. That means u will have to learn what typically works. i would start by learning to cg fox. it will force u to get familiar with marth's amazing grab range, how to tipper (and time and space) his up tilt, and how to tipper the f-smash (especially after up throw which is a crucial setup against spacies). this relatively simple exercise should familiarize you with marth's overall movement and the general feel of his combos, even though its really not aerial heavy.

which is why u should then work on the fair. play against peach or marth and practice using fair over and over so that each time it is tippered. even though when u actually combo those characters each fair may not be tippered, it will help you get the feel of double fairing and controlling ur distance from the opponent while doing so.

im sure there are other things to practice fundamentally, but i think u get the overall jist of what im saying. u may even count the number of times i said "tipper" to get a feel of just how important spacing is while playing marth. I personally picked up marth because i knew he would be hard to play; he's still hard to play after ~3 years of maining him, but it mostly takes time and watching videos to get his feel down and to get used to what to use in most situations. after that, you really have to make marth ur own and figure out what works for urself and why. but then again, that pretty much how u learn to play any character in any game, right?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i think dair is my favorite move with marth

not best, but i love it more than any other move

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i actually called crystalnite a hater

and said "n***a, you hatin :)"

except i used a 1 instead of an i, so i guess haley edited it out for censor dodging

CUZ HE'S MAD GAY, YO

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
Is it better to be passive or aggressive as marth during a match, or is it dependent on the character/player? If so, when would it be better to be either.

Also for double Fair, SHFFL Aerials, and aerials in general is it better to use the c-stick or the A button?

stelzig

Smash Lord
The c-stick is better, but in some situations it's easier to use the A-button, and in many situations it doesn't matter. Just use the c-stick when you want to be able to control your character in a different direction or don't want to move in a direction... And when you otherwise feel like it. Oh and to avoid fastfalling Dair (doesn't work in brawl... lol)

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
I haven't played Melee in forever and I'm trying to get back into shape for a local tourney. Whenever I play against my training buddy's falco, I have no trouble getting kills early into stocks when I can combo into a finisher. However, whenever a stock get's ridiculous in percent (150%) damage or more, I have trouble killing and I tend to spam ftilt and fmash a lot hoping for a killer. Any advice?

Top Bottom