• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon's MANLY Matchup Guide/Discussion Thread Week 16: Yoshi/Sonic

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Thats how its 8:2 or 9:1 in Wario's favor, since it eats any of your moves, only 1 or 2 can get through with absolute perfect spacing and hitting Wario's forehead.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Unit we bait a Bite and you eat a Knee or get grabbed or something.

Yes, head to head it beats most of Falcon's moves, but so do a lot of moves in the game (especially them sword users) and we don't have grab-release stuff on them. Because of that, we've gotten quite good at using our speed to help make us unpredictable, making Bite a very risky move. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it at all, but it isn't what wins you the matchup so please stop focusing on it.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I'm in SW Texas, PhantomX is a beast. Also wifi means nothing.
I know! I'm better at WIFI then him, for brawling, I don't know if hes better, I'm better, or we're even.

Wario also has an easy time doing a tire lock vs Captain Falcon, since hes such a big target, and thats usually 39-72 free damage, depending on how long the Wario can do the chain.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
LOL, Seriously though, I'm a better Wifi Wario then PX, but pretty sure he beats me Offline, need to test my tourny skills again when I can.

Captain Falcon is kinda like Sonic for Wario, just more easily gimped. (As in, Bite beats out all but one or 2 attacks.)

Still wanna know, Does your Uair cancel our Dair? Or does our Dair beat your Uair?

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Unit we bait a Bite and you eat a Knee or get grabbed or something.

Yes, head to head it beats most of Falcon's moves, but so do a lot of moves in the game (especially them sword users) and we don't have grab-release stuff on them. Because of that, we've gotten quite good at using our speed to help make us unpredictable, making Bite a very risky move. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it at all, but it isn't what wins you the matchup so please stop focusing on it.
Its not just that, bite can be used as a counter to our moves as well. Bite makes this matchup bigtime <_<

Phantom just has feer of getting grab released into FALCON PAUNCH, Tapion gave him nightmares about Ganon's unstoppable dtilt already.

I'll just go find Bassem GOSH

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I'll say one thing, Lag improves Falcon's game a little. Boy, match I had with one of you was laggy as all hell. Lag makes Falcon good, XD.

I did find out that your Uair clings with our Dair, and your Utilt beats our Nair.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
Now that I have played a few good Wario's....I still say the match is 80:20. Might be a little better for us though, do to the Grab Release.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Its not worse than 25:75. Bite grounds the wario, so he can get grabbed. You cannot argue wario will not get grabbed if you're also saying the wario is going to use bite.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The matchup is definitely not as bad as MK, but we could easily fit into the large group of "not as bad as MK but still a *****" matchups :p

Hiza <3 I wish I was as manly as you.

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
I've played against wolf a couple of times. The probably I had with him is his shield/reflector. Now most of use know it has invisibllity frames. The one I faced spammed the blaster. After I recover he kept shining. Now you may not think it's too much of a problem. It makes it harder to approach. This is my opinion because I went up against him with Fox. On top of that he has a spike. Now Im too sure on how often wolf players use it but it isn't as strong as the other spikes. I believe it does have that much hitstun to the oppenent getting spiked.

As for Wario, I have a hard time with him because the ones I play are usually floaties and tilts
So getting the grab in is a tad bit tough. More later. I know it's short x)

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Alright, all done. To be honest since Wolf got next to no talk about his matchup I had to delay his ratio being up. Wario however I saw to be something of a 75-25 by the things I read and my own personal experience against Warios.

But anyways... The current matchups to be discussed is now Yoshi and Sonic. So go.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Yoshi has a ground release psuedo-chaingrab on Falcon. And most people probably know this, but Yoshi has super armor frames during his second jump. I invited the Yoshi boards in here and I'm sure they'll know a lot more.

Metatitan

Smash Master
uhm IMO not a terrible matchup for falcon, mabey even neutral if the falcon is good enough. yoshi is fat and is a big target for teh knee and he has virtually no OoS options. 50:50-40:60 yoshi IMO theres more but im just lazy ;o

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
i barely have experience with any of these characters

yoshi
doesn't yoshi have a grab release infinite on falcon?

sonic
don't edgehog him, i believe he can fair stage spike you. something about sonic scares me.
*waits for tenki to enter thread*

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
My cousin almost beat me with Sonic by spamming down tilts, f-smashes and fairs...
Wait that's probably more of a comment on my skill (or lack thereof) rather than anything else...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Falcon can win the Yoshi matchup, but it's sooooo hard.

If the Yoshi you're playing isn't too experienced or smart or confident (you can usually tell these things with a few years of tournament experience under your belt), you can be really aggressive and as long as you're careful, you can build damage faster than Yoshi can, which can hopefully lead to more KOs for you than the other way around. I think Falcon's biggest problem in this matchup is gaining momentum and keeping it; Yoshi handles his momentum pretty well and can swing some bad situations around even in his worst matchups, but I find that the Captain has a hard time doing that even with some of his less bad matchups.

Use jabs. Lots of jabs. Grabbing is good as well; Falcon probably wants to stay on the ground a bit since the air leaves him infinitely more vulnerable and he has no approaches from the air that Yoshi cannot cover (unlike some other characters that can give Yoshi a hard time aerially).

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
:yoshi: Falcon can win the Yoshi matchup, but it's sooooo hard.

If the Yoshi you're playing isn't too experienced or smart or confident (you can usually tell these things with a few years of tournament experience under your belt), you can be really aggressive and as long as you're careful, you can build damage faster than Yoshi can, which can hopefully lead to more KOs for you than the other way around. I think Falcon's biggest problem in this matchup is gaining momentum and keeping it; Yoshi handles his momentum pretty well and can swing some bad situations around even in his worst matchups, but I find that the Captain has a hard time doing that even with some of his less bad matchups.

Use jabs. Lots of jabs. Grabbing is good as well; Falcon probably wants to stay on the ground a bit since the air leaves him infinitely more vulnerable and he has no approaches from the air that Yoshi cannot cover (unlike some other characters that can give Yoshi a hard time aerially).
you still beat me :(

oh well, Shiri is amazing

anyways, I agree with Shiri pretty much. If you abuse jabs and AC knee (it prioritizes Yoshi's Bair :)) in terms of an approach, your fine.

.Marik

is a social misfit
It's 7:3 Yoshi's favour I believe.

It's a really easy matchup. Falcon is horrible.

If the Yoshi isn't too experienced, it still may be a hard match to win. Unless you're a competent Falcon main yourself.

Falcon's will want to Uair/Dair and Grab a lot. Rack up damage. Side B is also useful, where you can set up an arsenal of Uair attacks.

Falcon Knee attacks are also very useful, due to the low percentage of damage it kills at. However, it has a very small hitbox, so you can't use it excessively and expect it to actually land.

What else... Downthrow and Jab.

And that's basically all Captain Falcon has.

Nothing on Sonic, sorry.

Player-3

Smash Hero
sonic... 60:40

thing to remember about the difference between sonic and falcon
As Tenki put it,
When you punish with falcon, the enemy knows it
when you punish with sonic for the 20th time, the enemy knows it

yoshi... not 7:3 but i would say 65:45 is a goodish ratio

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
60:40 yoshi

Sonic, no experience. I'd say... BLARGH

Anyways, for yoshi, his bair pisses me off, his jab is quite annoying, and he's hard to gimp.

But, other than that, he has a hard time KOing falcon, jab can really mess up yoshi, and sweetspot bair and knee both can rock yoshi out of his second jump's "armor" at higher percents.

Yoshi has nothing extra special on falcon *the CG isn't exactly cake, and is broken by uneven stages/platforms, AKA just about every stage in the game*, and falcon has nothing special on yoshi *falcon dive ripping yoshi's jump isn't THAT big of a worry for yoshi's they can usually see it coming a mile away*

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: AYAZZZZZZZZZ

I only beat you because I knew how to approach the matchup in general beforehand. You came in pretty fearlessly, though, which surprised me, so I knew I couldn't exactly get away with any BS on you just because you were playing as the Captain.

Top Bottom