• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon's MANLY Matchup Guide/Discussion Thread Week 16: Yoshi/Sonic

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
P3

diddy's dash attack can be out-prioritized with our dash attack but the thing is that Diddy's can combo into Utilt/Usmash/Nair......etc

plus his dash attack can be comboed INTO with banana's

property wise, Falcon's is better............but Diddy's is just more effective.

Player-3

Smash Hero
P3

diddy's dash attack can be out-prioritized with our dash attack but the thing is that Diddy's can combo into Utilt/Usmash/Nair......etc

plus his dash attack can be comboed INTO with banana's

property wise, Falcon's is better............but Diddy's is just more effective.
thats all i was saying... i was saying you could beat it out with it.. nothing else.......

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Theres a topic somewhere with all the stuff falcon kick and raptor boost clank with.

Anyways, the main problem against diddy is that he disrupts falcon's ground game to such a huge degree, which kills the fact that falcon has such great ground speed. That and diddy's dash attack is really annoying <_<
jab, not falcon kick, not raptor boost. jab.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Theres a topic somewhere with all the stuff falcon kick and raptor boost clank with.
Yep, that's my topic... and if there's one thing that I learned from testing that it's: Falcon Kick is a safer option against projectiles than Raptor Boost. That fact is widely misconcieved as the other way around so keep this in mind against projectile spammers.;)

EDIT: Yay! I'm a Smash Lord! 1,000+ man points!

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Yep, that's my topic... and if there's one thing that I learned from testing that it's: Falcon Kick is a safer option against projectiles than Raptor Boost. That fact is widely misconcieved as the other way around so keep this in mind against projectile spammers.;)

EDIT: Yay! I'm a Smash Lord! 1,000+ man points!
I only use Raptor Boost as a TC punish. Other than that, both moves are pretty unsafe to use.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Nothing's safe to use in a fighting game really. They both punish rolls fairly well, and Falcon Kick can be ledgecanceled into uair (true combo I think). Like a lot of Falcon's moves, they just aren't extremely useful :/

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
Nothing's safe to use in a fighting game really. They both punish rolls fairly well, and Falcon Kick can be ledgecanceled into uair (true combo I think). Like a lot of Falcon's moves, they just aren't extremely useful :/
Falcon Kick regularly does punish rolls, but I'm assuming the Diddy Kong you're playing has bananas set up in good places. Raptor Boost goes a shorter distance, which is why I prefer to use it, and if it hits (and you're fast enough), free aerial. Falcon Kick at somewhat lower percentages is great for interrupting attacks, but I hardly find it suitable to lead into other moves, simply because the ending lag is great, and the distance doesn't go very far, as desired for me.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Something I've tried on Link: Jab his bomb. Jabbing the bomb makes it go right through you, but if your back is not at the edge it will still explode on the ground behind you and hurt you (which means it's not too amazingly useful).

Might be able to do the same for Diddy's bananas (never tried it). I think it sort of gives you control of the bomb in the Link case (which would explain why it doesn't explode on you), so if it works with Diddy's bananas it would be a lot more useful since you could not only easily pick it up, but Diddy would (if I'm right) slip on the banana if he's not careful. Once again, just a theory.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Something I've tried on Link: Jab his bomb. Jabbing the bomb makes it go right through you, but if your back is not at the edge it will still explode on the ground behind you and hurt you (which means it's not too amazingly useful).

Might be able to do the same for Diddy's bananas (never tried it). I think it sort of gives you control of the bomb in the Link case (which would explain why it doesn't explode on you), so if it works with Diddy's bananas it would be a lot more useful since you could not only easily pick it up, but Diddy would (if I'm right) slip on the banana if he's not careful. Once again, just a theory.
Link's bombs are kinda like snake's nikita's, they have their own hurtbox. Which is why you can hit em. I don't think banana's have a hurtbox though, but jabbing them will be liek... CATCHING THEM. which is 29423944 times better.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Most Diddy Kongs I've played throw one up in the air, and use the other for throwing at you.
every diddy plays differently... dont judge them all by what one does, trust me...the only thing they will really do the same is banana>dash attack>follow up

thats really all you can count on since his naners give him such a wide variety of styles to play

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
every diddy plays differently... dont judge them all by what one does, trust me...the only thing they will really do the same is banana>dash attack>follow up

thats really all you can count on since his naners give him such a wide variety of styles to play
...Did I ever say that EVERY Diddy Kong does that? I said "most I've played." I was basically referring to the notion that not every Diddy Kong will throw his bananas at you full-on, so be careful about it.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
...Did I ever say that EVERY Diddy Kong does that? I said "most I've played." I was basically referring to the notion that not every Diddy Kong will throw his bananas at you full-on, so be careful about it.
I see alot of diddy's just slide back and forth by glidetossing them down, waiting for you to approach and trying to make you think too hard about approaching.

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
I see alot of diddy's just slide back and forth by glidetossing them down, waiting for you to approach and trying to make you think too hard about approaching.
It's just serious mindgaemz as far as I know. Other than that, just constantly keep moving and glide-tossing shouldn't be much of a problem, unless you're playing on a completely flat stage.

Player-3

Smash Hero
you did the same thing about my dash attack comment... just returning the favor bro, much love

sliding back and forth down tossing the banana is dribbling, and diddys use it to space and keep you from approaching them on the ground

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Sometimes instead of banana>dash attack, they'll do banana>hyphen smash, which is pretty much the only use for Diddy's upsmash, meaning it will be fresh and the movestring can do over 20 damage total if you don't DI out of the smash. It also sets Diddy up for juggling I guess, but that's not a strong suit of his. But Diddy's hyphen smash is basically a better dash attack with more end lag and the inability to pick up bananas.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
What can Falcon really do to approach Diddy?

Like, I'm pretty sure his bananas will out prioritize just about everything you've got. Even an air approach can be easily punished by Diddy's great aerials. :\

I'm pretty sure uair and nair do outrange him a bit. Outprioritizing is another thing altogether. ;o

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Diddy's aerials are decent, but Falcon's aren't bad comparatively. Bair will clank with the bananas I believe, and yeah you either have to go over the bananas or pick them up and either use them for an approach, or throw them behind you, up, or down, so that Diddy doesn't have control over them.

Roager

Smash Ace
Diddy's aerials are decent, but Falcon's aren't bad comparatively. Bair will clank with the bananas I believe, and yeah you either have to go over the bananas or pick them up and either use them for an approach, or throw them behind you, up, or down, so that Diddy doesn't have control over them.
i dont think anything clanks with nanners. They dont have a normal hitbox.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Aerial game.

Even though Diddy's aerials are fine, falcon has longer ranged aerials and it'll force diddy to stop messing around with banana's *seeing as there's no such thing as AIR TRIPPING!!!!!!!!!*, and fight in the sky. Which could free up falcon's jab game a bit.

Its still a hard matchup...

I'm not entirely sure on a ratio.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Aerial game.

Even though Diddy's aerials are fine, falcon has longer ranged aerials and it'll force diddy to stop messing around with banana's *seeing as there's no such thing as AIR TRIPPING!!!!!!!!!*, and fight in the sky. Which could free up falcon's jab game a bit.

Its still a hard matchup...

I'm not entirely sure on a ratio.
air tripping does exist

its just only for sonic

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thread all updated. Current matchups are Wario and Wolf. Due to the request of Falcion- and his apparent knowledge of the matchup, he has been set to run the discussion this week for these matchups. Anyways that is all. Discuss and the such.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Yeah..I have to sit this match-up out as well. :-\ I've played wario in a tourney set but it was so long ago. I remember winning, and didn't even know about grab release at the time. So he was probably really bad. My friend neon mains wolf but haven't played him in a while either. Do PT vs CF next please or lucario :D

Player-3

Smash Hero
Yeah..I have to sit this match-up out as well. :-\ I've played wario in a tourney set but it was so long ago. I remember winning, and didn't even know about grab release at the time. So he was probably really bad. My friend neon mains wolf but haven't played him in a while either. Do PT vs CF next please or lucario :D
lucario is fun to play agaisnt :D

my suggestion for next (i know its early..)
Weegee

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
I agree with Player, Luigi is ridiculous. Oh and for Wario, I played one just recently. I hate him. I had to play WAY better to win my matches. V_V I say....80-20 Warios favor.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Just to let you Capt Falcon mainers know, Wario is just impossible to grab. Bowser has an infinite, so does ZSS on Wario, and the matchups are 50:50 or 60:40 in Wario's Favor for Captain Falcon. Maybe 9:1, but that might be streching it a tiny bit. due to how hard he is to grab. 8:2 in Wario's Favor. he can Gimp you bad, he can kill you early, and your Uair is the only thing that might go through our Nair, but our Dair beats it I THINK. Anyway Uair is your best aerial to use against Wario I believe, that or nair. Don't fight Wario in the air though, trust me you will lose.

If you DO manage to grab him, Grab release and abuse it, its free damage. Good luck though. Also, Chomp can eat your Fair and Falcon Punch :p, I think if you aim just above wario's head the Fair can hit him.

Don't forget, Haft waft kills at around 60% with good DI if its perfect, if not, your off the stage and you lost a stock due to Wario's great offstage game. And Wario has a tire AT with the large tire that gets us a free Fsmash.

Good news, you guys have an Advantage over PT I've heard. so you beat Ganon for advantage matchups and should pass him.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
We can Bite you out of EVERY SINGLE MOVE YOU HAVE, and then there's our dairs and super early kills, lol. We have Link at 70:30 for Wario and he actually has spacing tools, so you guys are at least 25:75 against us.

I usually **** around in these matches and win without breaking a sweat, lol.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
We can Bite you out of EVERY SINGLE MOVE YOU HAVE, and then there's our dairs and super early kills, lol. We have Link at 70:30 for Wario and he actually has spacing tools, so you guys are at least 25:75 against us.

I usually **** around in these matches and win without breaking a sweat, lol.
This Warioman speaks the truth! Its such an easy matchup that its not even funny.

Seriously though, Uair is prob what you have going for ya, and thats it. we can Fsmash through your jab. And not even Uair is going to work too well vs Wario.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Graaa Phantom ya gotta play me. I've played Bassem, but never you!

Its definately tough with that stupid bite eating falcon out of every move. I'd say 25:75, cuz of da grab release KNEE :D

Also, I might do a text block for wolf, he was a past secondary and I play against sumer's really annoying wolf occasionally too. And Tapion's... but that was ages ago, and not with falcon. XD

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
I'll fight someone Online, I'm decent at it. (Better then Phantom is XD) Only thing I can't do online is punish as well, and I can't pivot bite as well either >.<

Top Bottom