• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Captain Falcon FAQ and Training Guide

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
It's probably in this thread somewhere, but does someone mind telling me how / what doraki? is and scarjumping. Another thing which is think is different altogether when you're recovering looks like a ledge tech or something, when off the stage and someone tries to spike you do something to counter it. Im a real noob, just seems odd at least the first two dont appear to be covered anywhere in this forum.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
It's probably in this thread somewhere, but does someone mind telling me how / what doraki? is and scarjumping. Another thing which is think is different altogether when you're recovering looks like a ledge tech or something, when off the stage and someone tries to spike you do something to counter it. Im a real noob, just seems odd at least the first two dont appear to be covered anywhere in this forum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxr0xnaB7AM Heres a video for Scarjumping.
A doraki is when you let go of the ledge and you hold the control stick towards the wall and you wall jump off the wall, except that you will have your double jump when you walljump. You can only do this on certain stages like Yoshis island (melee)
I'm sure someone else has a better explanation of doraki.

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxr0xnaB7AM Heres a video for Scarjumping.
A doraki is when you let go of the ledge and you hold the control stick towards the wall and you wall jump off the wall, except that you will have your double jump when you walljump. You can only do this on certain stages like Yoshis island (melee)
I'm sure someone else has a better explanation of doraki.
Thanks. So whats this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PkECO2Zu3Vk#t=107s

taylosun

Smash Cadet
That was a walljump tech I think it's called. You hold up when you tech a wall and you do that jump.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
That was a walljump tech I think it's called. You hold up when you tech a wall and you do that jump.
What he said. Darkrain did a tech on the wall and it made him do a walljump tech.

This is a very important move to learn as you get better. But UP-B'ing the moment you walljump tech is better because it catches the opponent off guard and is the best option

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
But UP-B'ing the moment you walljump tech is better because it catches the opponent off guard and is the best option
Not always true, in some cases it's better to air dodge onstage after, as the up b leaves you vulnerable to gimps both before and after hitting

:phone:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Not always true, in some cases it's better to air dodge onstage after, as the up b leaves you vulnerable to gimps both before and after hitting

:phone:
I never thought of that. Although, I havent seen any high levels Falcon do it much

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't for the life of me pull off a doraki last night nevermind a scarjump, release ledge > cstick towards just knee's then fall to death. Really doesn't work.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Couldn't for the life of me pull off a doraki last night nevermind a scarjump, release ledge > cstick towards just knee's then fall to death. Really doesn't work.
You have to walljump then instantly use the c stick for aerials(be quick when pulling out aeriels ) to scarjump . What i do for doraki, is let go of ledge then the instant I do that I move control stick towards wall and walljump quick enough to be able to walljump. Then I'll still have my double jump.

Probably not the best explanation but i tried lol. Does anyone know a good way that he could learn this stuff?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
What characters are you having problems with <_<
If you just think about it for a bit most of the things you can do out of throw should be pretty obvious

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
Ok it's kind of pissing me off now 'cause I really want to learn each thing. Can someone who knows without doubt how to explain each one chime in here and tell me how to do each step by step? Or at least point out where each is explained. I am amazed at the lack of info regarding these moves like it's some taboo secret that people know but dont talk about :/

No offense Wizz/kayaputen.

1. Doraki
2. Scarjump
3. Walljump tech? The thing that is only used when you get hit.

TIA

S l o X

Smash Champion
Wenbo, what do you practice with Falcon?

I always find myself just switching to Falco and practicing bnb combos when I'm alone. I start up the GC, practice movement with Falcon, do some combos and stuff and then just decide to practice my spacies since I think I gain more from their tech skill practice.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Doraki is a beast I have never dealt with.

Scarjump is walljumping without using a double jump, so you can jump again after a walljump. Only neutral I've ever seen it work on is Yoshi's story.

How-to-do scarjump:
1. Hang from the ledge
2. Flick c-stick away from the ledge. Holding it might lead you to throw out an aerial, fall, and die. A little after doing this, it would be a good idea to hold the control stick to the stage.
3. Flick control stick away from the wall.
4. Success! Example of use for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndpzmWfG8Ws

Walljump tech is when like teching normally when you hit a wall, except you jump immediately after.

How-to-do walltech:
1. Be sent flying into a wall
2. Move your control stick up.
3. Right before you hit the wall, hit a shield button.
4. Success!

Doraki is not discussed often because it was discovered recently and its uses are not well-defined yet (i think).
Scarjump is not considered an incredibly important technique for a Falcon to use due to its incredibly situational nature. Hence, not too many people feel the need to explain it.
Wall-jump tech is probably under a guide for teching. Pretty much any character can do it, so info on it wouldn't really belong in the C. Falcon character specific boards.

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
Doraki is a beast I have never dealt with.

Scarjump is walljumping without using a double jump, so you can jump again after a walljump. Only neutral I've ever seen it work on is Yoshi's story.

How-to-do scarjump:
1. Hang from the ledge
2. Flick c-stick away from the ledge. Holding it might lead you to throw out an aerial, fall, and die. A little after doing this, it would be a good idea to hold the control stick to the stage.
3. Flick control stick away from the wall.
4. Success! Example of use for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndpzmWfG8Ws

Walljump tech is when like teching normally when you hit a wall, except you jump immediately after.

How-to-do walltech:
1. Be sent flying into a wall
2. Move your control stick up.
3. Right before you hit the wall, hit a shield button.
4. Success!

Doraki is not discussed often because it was discovered recently and its uses are not well-defined yet (i think).
Scarjump is not considered an incredibly important technique for a Falcon to use due to its incredibly situational nature. Hence, not too many people feel the need to explain it.
Wall-jump tech is probably under a guide for teching. Pretty much any character can do it, so info on it wouldn't really belong in the C. Falcon character specific boards.
Thanks. But in the cases ive seen 'wallteching' like the darkrain vid I posted they're not sent into the wall they're sent away from it (the edge of the stage that is) but im guessing it works the same if you press up > shield the moment you're hit.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Thanks. But in the cases ive seen 'wallteching' like the darkrain vid I posted they're not sent into the wall they're sent away from it (the edge of the stage that is) but im guessing it works the same if you press up > shield the moment you're hit.
yes
you may have to hold the control stick a little to the stage
so you get sent a little in the direction of the stage so you can tech off of it

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Ok it's kind of pissing me off now 'cause I really want to learn each thing. Can someone who knows without doubt how to explain each one chime in here and tell me how to do each step by step? Or at least point out where each is explained. I am amazed at the lack of info regarding these moves like it's some taboo secret that people know but dont talk about :/

No offense Wizz/kayaputen.

1. Doraki
2. Scarjump
3. Walljump tech? The thing that is only used when you get hit.

TIA
There's a lack of discussion on the first two because those techniques aren't very important towards getting better, period. Scar, S2J, and others are here to provide input that only top Falcons with tourney experience might have. They're not here to regurgitate technical information that anyone can find for you from the depths of the Melee Discussion board.

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
There's a lack of discussion on the first two because those techniques aren't very important towards getting better, period. Scar, S2J, and others are here to provide input that only top Falcons with tourney experience might have. They're not here to regurgitate technical information that anyone can find for you from the depths of the Melee Discussion board.
I think if I could perform them consistently, I would use them more than most for my own entertainment. But granted I should probably get the basics down smooth first.

Have I called those two out or something? No. My questions have been answered.. Sincere apologies to those regurgitators, I didnt realise I had put you through so much.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Oh****, i was about to make my "how to practice by yourself" thread for CF

Then I see this.

Would it be okay to steal your training regimen for my megaguide, when I get down to making it? I pretty much want to list a bunch of things people can practice by themselves to improve.

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
What do people use / recommend for instant upair? When ive been trying it I alternate between doing an upsmash or a not quite instant upair (about half way between instant and SH)

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
x/y -> control stick up + a/z
x/y -> c stick up
control stick up -> c stick up

These are the recommended ways to jump and then input an uair :)
Just practice whatever you're doing at the moment dude

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
What do people use / recommend for instant upair? When ive been trying it I alternate between doing an upsmash or a not quite instant upair (about half way between instant and SH)
I just use C stick the moment I jump. I use C stick for basically all Falcons ariels except Knee sometimes.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Hey All, back with a request this time.

So one of the most lack luster parts of my falcon atm is the inability to follow up on grabs/stomps/insert combo starter here due to not taking advantage of l-cancels. I preform them, but tend to wait to not follow it up. A fellow local falcon player gave me the suggestion of working on a particular combo against Marth in order to help ingrain that acting immediately reaction and mentality. I honestly think this has helped me out alot by giving my off time training more structure and a good way to measure results.

The combo goes like this, set Marth to 20% and then stomp->nair->uair->knee without marth ever touching the ground. The timing is fairly tight and if I miss an l-cancel or don't dash immediately for the uair->knee it ruins the combo. The timing can be made tighter ( my record as of currently is starting at 14% ). He also claims that marth can't DI from this, but it is unimportant for my purposes.

My request is does anyone have a combo like this for other characters or even different one for marth? To elaborate, I am looking for combos that give no chance to tech ( IE they never hit the ground ) and have very tight timing. The purpose of these combos is not to be practical ( thought that's cool too ), but to help master the tight timing needed for falcons combos. Thanks.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

So one of the most lack luster parts of my falcon atm is the inability to follow up on grabs/stomps/insert combo starter here due to not taking advantage of l-cancels. I preform them, but tend to wait to not follow it up. A fellow local falcon player gave me the suggestion of working on a particular combo against Marth in order to help ingrain that acting immediately reaction and mentality. I honestly think this has helped me out alot by giving my off time training more structure and a good way to measure results.

The combo goes like this, set Marth to 20% and then stomp->nair->uair->knee without marth ever touching the ground. The timing is fairly tight and if I miss an l-cancel or don't dash immediately for the uair->knee it ruins the combo. The timing can be made tighter ( my record as of currently is starting at 14% ). He also claims that marth can't DI from this, but it is unimportant for my purposes.

My request is does anyone have a combo like this for other characters or even different one for marth? To elaborate, I am looking for combos that give no chance to tech ( IE they never hit the ground ) and have very tight timing. The purpose of these combos is not to be practical ( thought that's cool too ), but to help master the tight timing needed for falcons combos. Thanks.
You should just try and master L-cancels so you never miss one. They are one of the most important aspects of playing Melee, and it is extremely important to master. It shouldn't be hard to master if you put in some good practice.

Zhea

Smash Ace
The problem isn't me hitting it, it's ingraining the instinct to take an action immediately after it. I do constantly practice the basics, but it is hard to get a measure of mastery without specific goals to reach. It's like knowing how to shine back air with falco and knowing how to shine back air at 500% with falco. It's about polish. Though that is good advice, there is no excuse to ever miss an l-cancel other that not having it down.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
The problem isn't me hitting it, it's ingraining the instinct to take an action immediately after it. I do constantly practice the basics, but it is hard to get a measure of mastery without specific goals to reach. It's like knowing how to shine back air with falco and knowing how to shine back air at 500% with falco. It's about polish. Though that is good advice, there is no excuse to ever miss an l-cancel other that not having it down.
I'm not sure what to say then. I have been L-cancelling so long that I barely think about it when I press the button.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman

How often do you practice?

Zhea

Smash Ace
During the week, 1-2 hours a day mixing it up between actual play and solo practice, Fridays being 2-4 hours of solid play and weekends about 8 hours of practice between Saturday and Sunday. This has been my usually schedule for about 4 months at this point. I practice prior to this but on a much lighter schedule.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
During the week, 1-2 hours a day mixing it up between actual play and solo practice, Fridays being 2-4 hours of solid play and weekends about 8 hours of practice between Saturday and Sunday. This has been my usually schedule for about 4 months at this point. I practice prior to this but on a much lighter schedule.
Thats pretty good, the best way i learned to increase my reaction speed was to play fox and (reaction time test) http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html
(I am assuming that you land 100% l-cancels)
Play a little more patiently and experiment with each move.
Learn how people DI the move and think about what would people do best to avoid getting hit again.

mers

Smash Ace
Y'all are so wrong about what a Doraki is.

A Doraki is when you sweetspot the ledge so perfectly that when you press the control stick away from the ledge, you automatically walljump and retain your double jump. Easiness varies by character and by stage. The simplest example is Fox on FD, because it's very easy to do.

Falcon essentially cannot do it on any legal stage. There are weird recorded instances of it happening (I believe on FD and Dreamland), but it's impossible to reproduce.

If you wanna see what it's like with Falcon, though, it works on just about all the ledges on Fourside, even when you don't sweetspot.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
you can doraki with falcon on FD for sure.
I've also done it on battlefield (although accidently).
I don't play falcon much though, so i don't know the timings as well as say Pichu or fox.

almost every character with a walljump can doraki on FD (I don't think that any of them can't)

there are also some stages (fourside and the rock on KJ, for example) where you don't need to sweetspot your jump in order to doraki. you just grab the ledge, then press away. I'm not sure what it is about these ledges that allows you to do this.

also, I read somewhere that the character needs to rub up against the stage before grabbing the ledge in order to doraki, but I'm not sure if this is true, because I never consciously do this whenever I doraki jump.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Y'all are so wrong about what a Doraki is.

A Doraki is when you sweetspot the ledge so perfectly that when you press the control stick away from the ledge, you automatically walljump and retain your double jump. Easiness varies by character and by stage. The simplest example is Fox on FD, because it's very easy to do.

Falcon essentially cannot do it on any legal stage. There are weird recorded instances of it happening (I believe on FD and Dreamland), but it's impossible to reproduce.

If you wanna see what it's like with Falcon, though, it works on just about all the ledges on Fourside, even when you don't sweetspot.
So its not considered a doraki, unless its an instant walljump?

Top Bottom