• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Captain Falcon FAQ and Training Guide

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
He was talking about on shield. Hax was saying that while talking to M2K, if Falcon hits the knee (on shiled) as low as possible to the ground, its a +2 frame advantage. Can be used to net grabs as it looks really easy to shieldgrab Falcon out of it

Edit: Thanks for finding that post ShrieK1295

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Like on a shield?
Yes. From the post:
kneegrabbing
a while ago M2K informed me that if you knee someone's shield as low to the ground as possible, Falcon has +2 frame advantage (with the L-cancel lag factored in). this means that your grab beats theirs if they try to shieldgrab you (which they will do a LOT given how shieldgrabable this looks). i haven't tested this much yet but i definitely will in the future

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I've actually had great success with it when I perform the late knee on shield correctly. The only problem is performing it correctly, lol. I usually don't hit it too often, but I'm experimenting with its uses, so I might try to implement it into my game a little more.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
Apparently this technique is really underrated. I find this difficult to execute sometimes and instead of going for the grab I runaway stomp (aggro spacie) and gentlemen (campy spacie and everyone else except Peach for obvious reason).Peach is the reason why I'm trying to implement this technique into my game.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Hmmm... I think I'll experiment with it more the next time I play and see how it goes. I know I've used it in places before, but I just can't remember exactly in what matchups and how I implemented it.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I also have been trying to implement the knee strike to shield grab. even if I don't time it good enough I usually grab anyway because lot's of times my opponent expects me to do something else.

legion598

Smash Ace
just to mention something cuz i noticed ur "how and when to sdi" was blank if it hasnt been mentioned already. When falco is pillaring with Dair and shine try SDIing his Dair down and away and shielding ASAP. It helps to also quarter circle this SDI. This is not a difficult SDI because u should be able to tell when falco is going to land Dair during the pillar. I believe this is also the correct DI for foxs Dair except u have a lot more hits u can DI on. I believe the correct SDI for foxs shine is to SDI down and away to help avoid an Usmash and SDI towards and up to help avoid getting shined off stage. Even with SDI fox can wreck u tho

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
Ive probably read it on here but whats this thing im doing on FD - grab ledge, try to backair > upB back to stage, but instead do some wierd walltech knee by getting the button timing slightly wrong > upB back. I had to pause and absorb what just happened when I first done it :awesome:

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
instant walljump after letting go of ledge.

you can do something similar if u dash attack the ledge, hold away from the stage to fall off then quickly hold into it and then flick the stick away again to walljump.

Hax

Smash Champion
really late response lol but kneegrab has been super useful

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
best way to kneegrab is to do a late knee then hold whatever block button you do for the l cancel and tap A
I get it pretty consistent with just random *** jump in knees but I try to mix it up with gentleman too, frame advantage should always be taken with a grain of salt and used oposite another option

dembawls

Smash Rookie
Yea ^ lmao

:phone:

But im serious now the kid is going to attend tournies a lot and go ham like I have recently at this local yesterday, ive been in the lab, need to.show people what the kid's really got ;)

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
can't find it anywhere so asking: wtf is "tomahawk" in reference to cf?
Tomahawk is a empty fastfalled shorthop often used for a quick mixup/mindgame. when you tomahawk you make your opponent think, "oh hes gonna nair/knee me so ill just shield," which is exactly what you want..

in that short window of time you must punish fast and swift with grab or wait for them to stop shielding and unload the knee

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
Tomahawk is a empty fastfalled shorthop often used for a quick mixup/mindgame. when you tomahawk you make your opponent think, "oh hes gonna nair/knee me so ill just shield," which is exactly what you want..

in that short window of time you must punish fast and swift with grab or wait for them to stop shielding and unload the knee
thanks dude. just heard it on the fc pm videos and had no idea

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
What should CF do against Dr. Mario DashAttack into SideSmash, and Jiggs Bair?
for doc either jump over it to punish or shield grab the dash attack

for puff bair, i try to do either a ganon esque backwards up air or just outspace them with a bair. remember that bair saves lives in this match up

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
In the words of a true scrubby falcon main "You just gotta **** him"
^ that

in more specific terms use nair to get over low lasers and just patiently move in on him until you can punish his jumps with nair to lead into grab > techchase > death

hold your horses and regrab at low percents then try for hard stomp/knee reads and **** his day up

Bu$

HoC
Hey guys. I have only been playing for 6 months or so and I want to know different ways to practise my tech skill. I can WD fine and SHFFL as well but I was wondering if there are any small specific techniques that could be helpful at all? And if you know any other ways to practise anything solo would be good as well. Also, how to do know you have done a JC grab? I know how to but I don't know if i'm doing them right. Is there anything in specific i can do to practise them as well?

Turnerfield77

Smash Cadet
I have never been so frustrated in my entire life than this weekend at a tournament. I lost to a falco who's entire strategy was short hop laser over and over again until i let my guard down and then he approached with the typical d-air, grab, etc. How the heck are you supposed to get past falco's bull****? I just don't see openings amongst the onslaught of lasers, down airs, and shines.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Get better at moving out of shield between lasers
Laser -> laser is never safe for Falco, wavedash in between lasers and force them to do something else instead of camp

Turnerfield77

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I have only been playing for 6 months or so and I want to know different ways to practise my tech skill. I can WD fine and SHFFL as well but I was wondering if there are any small specific techniques that could be helpful at all? And if you know any other ways to practise anything solo would be good as well. Also, how to do know you have done a JC grab? I know how to but I don't know if i'm doing them right. Is there anything in specific i can do to practise them as well?
JC grabs are the easiest thing to practice in the world. Just get a lvl 1 Marth on any stage and if you can chain grab him by down throwing over and over again, you're doing the JC grab correctly. Also, practice wave landing on platforms as well, it's quite a useful tool.

D

Deleted member

non jc-grab falcon swings the **** out of his arm compared to regular jc

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
First you knee
Then you runoff and knee
It's not very difficult, you just have to recognize it

Twinkles

Smash Lord
First you knee
Then you runoff and knee
It's not very difficult, you just have to recognize it
Scar's consistency with it is mindblowing imo, I've seen him do it on countless good players lol

I'm not too serious about this post though, I have a LOT of other stuff to work on for my Falcon :p

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I mean it's just not very hard technically
You just have to have good combo recognition
And balls

McFlyy

Smash Rookie
Have you tried working on what you can do from grabbing the ledge of the level? With Falcon there are all kinds of things you can do from a double jump from the ledge. Options like wavedashing and performing aerials from the ledge will increase your recovery options tenfold, AND will severely improve your edgeguard game when you can learn how to gimp someone who's trying to land back on the level with a nice, well placed Bair to the face. This is especially true for when you are edgehogging a spacie who's under the stage and trying to overshoot the ledge and get back on the level with their up B. If you have this down, they can't do anything BUT get hit in the face with your Bair and almost always lose their stock.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you practice double jumping from the ledge and test out your options from there.

Great guide btw. I'm anxiously waiting for the next update.
I like the part written out by Hax. Half of what he said kinda went in one ear and out the other at first, but after a couple days of practicing with some friends, I went back and read it again and it made so much sense after that. You should definitely update this soon!

Bu$

HoC
Have you tried working on what you can do from grabbing the ledge of the level? With Falcon there are all kinds of things you can do from a double jump from the ledge. Options like wavedashing and performing aerials from the ledge will increase your recovery options tenfold, AND will severely improve your edgeguard game when you can learn how to gimp someone who's trying to land back on the level with a nice, well placed Bair to the face. This is especially true for when you are edgehogging a spacie who's under the stage and trying to overshoot the ledge and get back on the level with their up B. If you have this down, they can't do anything BUT get hit in the face with your Bair and almost always lose their stock.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you practice double jumping from the ledge and test out your options from there.

Great guide btw. I'm anxiously waiting for the next update.
I like the part written out by Hax. Half of what he said kinda went in one ear and out the other at first, but after a couple days of practicing with some friends, I went back and read it again and it made so much sense after that. You should definitely update this soon!
Ah ok. Thanks man i can do pretty much everything from the edge now. Really comfortable playing off stage now but when you say double jump from the ledge what do you mean? Like already hanging from the ledge??

Top Bottom