• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cancel Shield Breaker

SNRLX

Smash Rookie
@everyone confused

pierce shield breakered niko at cot4 where it SHOULD have broken the shield but niko brought his leet canada hacks with him and it didn't do anything.
Perhaps NikoK's shield broke while he was holding it and the animation launching him into the air was stopped by a hit from the Shieldbreaker? This would get him out of the helpless shield-broken state. I'm not sure what is meant by "didn't do anything". Do you mean it hit Niko and sent him a little ways (to say that it didn't put Niko into the shield-broken state) or do you mean that the shieldbreaker did not affect Niko at all?

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
This is probably too simple to be what's going on, but my friends let go of the shield button as soon as they hear the "WHOOSH" - even if they're too late, a lot of the time they have juuuust enough shield left to drop it without breaking.

In other words, I've found that a lot of my shield breaks come from people getting hit with it, and forgetting to let go of the shield button before their shield breaks itself.

10noobs

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
When you get your shield broken near an edge of something you can actually land sliding off that way when you fall off the edge your brokensheildstun goes away.

Kinda looks like wavelanding.... I'd have to find the vid again... but I think it was recorded by Dphanna

[edit]
I can't find the video =(

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Can you control your movement after your shield breaks? It seems that I always land in the same spot my shield was broken. Even near the edge, I've been unable to move myself to grab the edge to cancel the stunned animation afterwards.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
god **** it NIKO

YOU ARENT COOL BY KEEPING IT A SECRET UR GONNA GET IN SMASH LAB OK JUST TELL ME WTF UR CANADIAN

Niko_K

Smash Master
Basically you let the shield breaker hit your shield during the last frames of your shield drop, so that your shield doesn't stay out for the entire hit's duration. So you anticipate when the shield breaker is going to happen, and you press shield so that you get hit during its drop, therefore you minimize the amount of time your shield stays out for,and as soon as the drop finishes your shield is regenerating.

All it means is Marth's are going to have to lower your shield even lower to shield break it.

Pretty hard to time but I'll make a video when I can. You can have your shield "Shield Breakerd" with your shield past the halfway mark and still survive. It's pretty sex.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Haha, awesome. Thanks for finally telling. You should change the topic title and OP so people can know that it's been revealed.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
OH, that makes sense. But how practical of a strategy is this? Do you think with practice this is something we can do 9 out of 10 times? Or will we just get lucky when we pull it off? Thanks for telling us!

AzNsAnTaGiN

Smash Cadet
If you have the reflexes to perfectly drop your shield, why not simply PS or roll away? O_o What advantage does this have besides the omgwut factor? (And if I'm not mistaken, it comes at the expense of a weakened shield)

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Well. I was excited to hear this until I heard that you have to have reflexes similar to those of Chuck Norris to perform it. Sad face.

Villi

Smash Lord
I don't get it... basically you're saying that if you see Marth going for a shield breaker and you're shielding... let go of the shield button?

I swear, one time Marth broke my shield after I initiated a sidestep.

shadowofchaos725

Smash Apprentice
Powershielding when the shield is lower still breaks from shield breaker btw,
Say wut? I thought powershielding eliminates basically any shield degredation for that one hit?

I don't get it... basically you're saying that if you see Marth going for a shield breaker and you're shielding... let go of the shield button?

I swear, one time Marth broke my shield after I initiated a sidestep.
Wouldn't that make it a bigger risk? It has the chance of seriously sending you flying if you miss those frames that Niko says...

@Steel: LOL @ "leet Canada hax" accusations... XD

Villi

Smash Lord
I don't think it has much knockback unless it's tippered and/or fully charged? Anyway, now I think I understand. You let him hit your shield, and then let go at some specific frame?

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
When you see shield breaker there's a reason to that.
1. You could be getting predictable with shielding or heavily relying on it. Your opponent has also conditioned you into the situation and then your shield has an orgasm and poof! children!!!!
2. It was just random.
Real fact though....100% of what I just said is truth!
I iz smarter naw! lol.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
People, when using the shieldbreaker, you should anticipate when the opponent will shield, and SB at the best moment. PS'ing it when you already have your shield up is not an option unless the attack is charged. Shielding it means death, while dropping your shield gives you only a little bit of percent, or it cancels out the effect altogether. So letting go of the shield button IS the best option.

Top Bottom