• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canadian Salt Spill - Tool Link+

zaf

Smash Lord
You can't actually speed up the prop itself (boomerang).

Speeding up boomerang animations simply means you can trail behind them even faster. The boomerang has nearly zero priority, so a lot of people can just whack it. A lot of TLs trail behind the boomerang, someone like Marth can INTENTIONALLY abuse hitlag frames and let...say fair last a few frames longer as it hits the boomerang, then goes out to hit you at the tip.

I like optional slowfall but originally was just gonna make it stronger to offset its risk.

Because the stall-then-fall is useful for breaking faux-juggle combos. Unfortunately dair's lag to hitstun ratio is not in his favor. I wanted to fix that, and it seems it's something the other WBR members could potentially agree on also.

Zaf you seem to change your mind a lot. =P

Actually I noticed a lot of TL players seem really dynamic personality-wise...kinda like TL himself.

TL:
"This way!"
"Err...no, this way."
"Why didn't I go that way before?"

King of Red Lions:

"...Link, we were to set sail that way but you reconsidered."

<___<

I'll let you guys ramble about boomerang, I shouldn't consider myself part of that debate for fairness sake.

*leaves and plays GG: AC*

I'll have to look at GnW's dair and see how it works. *shrug*
if anything speed up the start up animations of the boomerang i don't care. I just don't want it's travel speed and physics to change, but it looks like that can't even happen. So i am happy lol

I lean towards one thing, then hate it, but then like it again because i think up almost anything with a projectile. I just found a new love for boomerang.

I did a combo on my friend tonight, that included like every projectile then brought him to like 100% then killed him. It was so smexy, but like, i got to much into what i did and not the match so it costed me a win lol. Ill try and get that one uploaded for its pure sexy ness

IMO, make boomerang like 64 boomerang, but with the same Brawl throwing angles.
That means equal hit-stun and damage on the boomerangs RETURN.
I've brought this up before but no one seems to be listening to me.
>_>
You can't edit props/projectiles. <_<
this.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
* Has all changes from the last test build except for Uthrow speed-up (which I forgot to add in last time to begin with rofl, faux buffs; sorry).

Dair:

Meteor Hitboxes Base knockback increased:

HB A: BKB: 60 from 40, darkness effect for sweetspot (cuz fire ***** Fushigisou, and TL is obv evil) =V
HB B: BKB: 50 from 30

All Dair Landing Windboxes increased by 1.3x

IDs:

0-1: orig. size 6, now 7.8
2-3: orig. size 8, now 10.4
4: orig. size 5, now 6.5

Throws:
Fthrow (Both Throwboxes): BKB 60, KBG 40, Angle 30, frame speed-up on 25 1.3x, IASA moved to 33 from 40
Bthrow (Both Throwboxes): BKB 55, KBG 80, Angle 135, frame speed-up on 25 1.2x, IASA moved to 35 from 40

Specials:

UpB: (thanks to Shadic) vertical height set to 2.23, should put TL's recovery around its former glory

Boomerang Start-up (sending Boomerang, and fail to send): Both aerial and grounded animations sped up by 1.2x

* Should have a semi-strict timing to SH boomerang -> arrow cancel

--------------------------------------

Please use the previous test codeset I gave you guys so these can be tested with the correct physics.

* Please test extensively...let's just say this TL might be the last one you guys get for tournament use...for a while. =V

Extensively meaning, is anything too good? Please tell, don't be selfish. <.<

And is anything still too worthless (ignoring "Ftilt" and "Uthrow" -_-) ?

Link to new .PAC: Look in double post below soon.
Link to old test codeset (in case you replaced it or whatever): http://www.mediafire.com/?ywgjzymnmyk

Please test as much as you can by Monday!

Because I have a tournament today and rushed to get this out. =<

VietGeek

Smash Hero
http://www.mediafire.com/?yimchlybwnw

^ New TL .pac

Please try out the new SDI changes and stuff. People complain that hitlag is too low in B+, so Magus is trying out individual SDI tweaks.

See if some moves are too easy to SDI out now (the UpB's), and see if jab is better to use now (since SDIing it is harder now)

Also dsmash 1 and fsmash 2 hits have 1 sdi so you can theoretically ledgetech them and whatnot under the right circumstances (before you could not SDI them).

Jab 1-2:
-SDI Capacity Multiplier: 1.50x->1.20x
F-Smash 2:
-SDI Capacity Multiplier: 0.00x->1.00x
D-Smash (Front Hit):
-SDI Capacity Multiplier: 0.00x->1.00x
Up-B (Ground):
-Hitlag Multiplier: 0.50x->0.75x (1 dmg hitboxes)
-SDI Capacity Multiplier: 0.00x->1.00x (Final Hit)
Up-B (Air):
-SDI Capacity Multiplier: 0.50x->0.70x (Linking Hits)

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
* Has all changes from the last test build except for Uthrow speed-up (which I forgot to add in last time to begin with rofl, faux buffs; sorry).

Dair:

Meteor Hitboxes Base knockback increased:

HB A: BKB: 60 from 40, darkness effect for sweetspot (cuz fire ***** Fushigisou, and TL is obv evil) =V
HB B: BKB: 50 from 30

All Dair Landing Windboxes increased by 1.3x

IDs:

0-1: orig. size 6, now 7.8
2-3: orig. size 8, now 10.4
4: orig. size 5, now 6.5

Throws:
Fthrow (Both Throwboxes): BKB 60, KBG 40, Angle 30, frame speed-up on 25 1.3x, IASA moved to 33 from 40
Bthrow (Both Throwboxes): BKB 55, KBG 80, Angle 135, frame speed-up on 25 1.2x, IASA moved to 35 from 40

Specials:

UpB: (thanks to Shadic) vertical height set to 2.23, should put TL's recovery around its former glory

Boomerang Start-up (sending Boomerang, and fail to send): Both aerial and grounded animations sped up by 1.2x

* Should have a semi-strict timing to SH boomerang -> arrow cancel

--------------------------------------

Please use the previous test codeset I gave you guys so these can be tested with the correct physics.

* Please test extensively...let's just say this TL might be the last one you guys get for tournament use...for a while. =V

Extensively meaning, is anything too good? Please tell, don't be selfish. <.<

And is anything still too worthless (ignoring "Ftilt" and "Uthrow" -_-) ?

Link to new .PAC: Look in double post below soon.
Link to old test codeset (in case you replaced it or whatever): http://www.mediafire.com/?ywgjzymnmyk

Please test as much as you can by Monday!

Because I have a tournament today and rushed to get this out. =<
Dont ignore ftilt :(. And btw, did u make the dair spike throughout the whole duration of the move? Like make the first half of frames spike harder and the other spike but a little weaker.

zaf

Smash Lord
Dont ignore ftilt :(. And btw, did u make the dair spike throughout the whole duration of the move? Like make the first half of frames spike harder and the other spike but a little weaker.
toon link isnt about having every move link into eachother. Ftilt is good
toon link is about projectiles , in and outs and causing confusion.
If we ask to much for our characters, nothing will ever be done.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
That would be editing projectiles now wouldn't it? =V

Anyway, no, only the initial hit of dair spike. I think the bouncing hitboxes are fine. I even made the windboxes bigger if for some reason you bounce into the ground. Basically I made dair safer to use without vastly changing the move.

Anyway I've encountered a problem with the UpB fix. If I get hit with a momentum-canceling move (like TL's own bombs), the UpB will gain no distance and basically go down. =V

I think I know the cause and can get a fix on that rather soon. Everything else please test thoroughly. =V

zaf

Smash Lord
I was just going to say, i found a problem with my UPB. Whenever i get spiked ( which happened to be by a yoshi player), i would upb and it wouldn't go anywhere.

Besides that it seems like a stable, not-broken pac.

I like the winddown on dair. It's really good to be able to get the **** out of a situation if the dair misses. ( nice color added to the dair hit, can you make it like fiery instead?)

The Boomerang animation doesn't seem that much faster but it is enough. Too fast and people would complain.

Can something be done about grounded upb? It sucks, it really does. There is never a situation when it can be used. Even if you were to hit someone with it, it links to nothing. If it were just changed to the same type of UPB that Link has, then it would be fine. Just add knockback to it, instead of it being a multi hit move.

Can someone make a scorpion ( mortal kombat) texture for toon link =[ ?

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't that make him clonish? You could always just reduce knockback on up b final hit and make it send up or something so he can follow with an aerial.

Or...
Make it mobile lol. It would be true to his games.

zaf

Smash Lord
Wouldn't that make him clonish? You could always just reduce knockback on up b final hit and make it send up or something so he can follow with an aerial.

Or...
Make it mobile lol. It would be true to his games.
I don't think it would make him "clonish", but i don't think that is a problem anyways. So he has an identical upb, it doesn't take away from the character. I don't think you understand what i am trying to say either. Upb just sucks, there is never an instance where that move should be used. Messing around with its knockback and hitstun still doesn't change the fact that the move is garbage. I was just proposing a new use for it. If you tell me that making it a knockback move( tw link) , and giving toon link the option to clear some space when being pressured is a situation that it can be used for now, then you are crazy.

I don't know why some of you cling to the idea of toon link having a mobile Upb. It won't change anything.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I think we forget that a mobile UpB would only make the move suck more cuz "dragging" moves seriously suck. =V

Self Distructo

Smash Apprentice
Wow guys, you're buffing Toon Link like crazy. He's already good enough, I like him in 8/13.

I don't know why he's getting a lot of buffs. Seriously, compare him with link. He's already five times better than him...

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
^ Not really. TL isnt so good compared to the rest of the cast in +. But I agree hes better than Link :p. And about upB...why dont we just give it a 0.0 SDI? So that it actually links >_> and a better angle and less windown after the last hit to allow for follow ups. Just an idea, Im not very fond of a moving upb...

zaf

Smash Lord
^ Not really. TL isnt so good compared to the rest of the cast in +. But I agree hes better than Link :p. And about upB...why dont we just give it a 0.0 SDI? So that it actually links >_> and a better angle and less windown after the last hit to allow for follow ups. Just an idea, Im not very fond of a moving upb...
this.

that is basically all it needs, but i don't think we are buffing him. Viet's pac makes the boomerang animation slightly faster when it comes out. Dair ends quicker and he has better physics. A weakened d-smash(not a buff btw). That isn't a huge buff imo. Some character's have had much better buffs.

edit:distructo, you must of missed viets posts about how toon link is a mediocre character.

matt4300

Smash Ace
this.

that is basically all it needs, but i don't think we are buffing him. Viet's pac makes the boomerang animation slightly faster when it comes out. Dair ends quicker and he has better physics. A weakened d-smash(not a buff btw). That isn't a huge buff imo. Some character's have had much better buffs.

edit:distructo, you must of missed viets posts about how toon link is a mediocre character.
ok so if tlink is mediocre... whats that say about link? or the more than half the cast he pwns hard... The chars that you speak of with much better buffs ... acutally ya know needed them... makeing his rang faster makes his stage control that much better... and its already a great projectile and flows with him very well... that Dair **** is just pointless.. its already hard to punish, and now its gonna be wtf gay as an edge gaurd with that big wind box... and little landing lag... not only that but you can easiy get 24 damage with the **** thing on anyone above mario size. Please tell me why his throws need buffs? seriously...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
little landing lag? it has the same landing lag that we've had since we still had NO standardized codesets. wtf. placebo effect less plz (goes to you too zaf =P).

and everyone knows links were meant to be mediocre. i dont know why ppl have a problem with chibi link being better than normal link other than the whole "same person" sorta thing. it still doesn't detract from the fact that links have, and very likely will continue to suck in comparison to the ENTIRE cast.

because unless this game was ONLY about link, id say no one gives a **** about toon link - link comparison in overall game balance.

his throws suck, links throws suck. ryoko taught me something amazing. if you want buffs feel free to push forward new ideas and allow people to test them out. if its good itll get in, if not then it wont. but the first step is to try.

just because i have a purple name doesnt mean my test builds are absolute. hence test, mirite?

both links dairs are relatively hard to punish ON shield, but are both still very punishable on whiff. Windboxes are WIP, if you think they're OP, show me why. its a test build. I'm not afraid of being called out on messing something up.

atm, you sound butthurt like a stereotypical link main. i liked link and all since he made me play smash to begin with, but really. your post needs to show less "why is my char mediocre but still worst than some deformed doppelganger that is also quote unquote mediocre, rage."

basically i can't take this complaint seriously because it sounds like its just typical link rivalry. if toon link was named anything else i swear i could make him recover to the moon and you wouldn't give a ****.

matt4300

Smash Ace
little landing lag? it has the same landing lag that we've had since we still had NO standardized codesets. wtf. placebo effect less plz (goes to you too zaf =P).

and everyone knows links were meant to be mediocre. i dont know why ppl have a problem with chibi link being better than normal link other than the whole "same person" sorta thing. it still doesn't detract from the fact that links have, and very likely will continue to suck in comparison to the ENTIRE cast.

because unless this game was ONLY about link, id say no one gives a **** about toon link - link comparison in overall game balance.

his throws suck, links throws suck. ryoko taught me something amazing. if you want buffs feel free to push forward new ideas and allow people to test them out. if its good itll get in, if not then it wont. but the first step is to try.

just because i have a purple name doesnt mean my test builds are absolute. hence test, mirite?

both links dairs are relatively hard to punish ON shield, but are both still very punishable on whiff. Windboxes are WIP, if you think they're OP, show me why. its a test build. I'm not afraid of being called out on messing something up.

atm, you sound butthurt like a stereotypical link main. i liked link and all since he made me play smash to begin with, but really. your post needs to show less "why is my char mediocre but still worst than some deformed doppelganger that is also quote unquote mediocre, rage."

basically i can't take this complaint seriously because it sounds like its just typical link rivalry. if toon link was named anything else i swear i could make him recover to the moon and you wouldn't give a ****.

Naw this was a legit post... not a butthurt link main one... Ive already done one of those... I was telling him that tlink is NOT mediocre... Link is a mediocre char... I applaud your makeing of test builds and getting poeple to test... We link mains have also started doing this...
That post was just saying that I dont think tlink needs any more buffs... I was using link as an easily identifiable mediocre char to say... TL could be much worse off. I can see how from my post on the last page you would think it was a butt hurt link main rant... But If i wanted to rant about TL vs Link i would do it on the link boards with poeple who agree lol. This is a general balance rant.

On the subject of the recovery boost... Its not that its TL getting a boost its that its a char with an already good recovery getting a better one.... Recovery buffs are and should be reserved for chars with TERRIBLE recoverys... (Ike, Link, ness ect) not chars with good to really good ones (tlink, zelda, falcon range wise) Tlink is floaty, has a way to protect himself from the edge guarders, and has good up-b height and distance with a hitbox you cant just jump into.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
i think you only saw a part of the entire conversation if you really think im purely buffing tl's recovery.

i changed his physics to make him feel less overly floaty, since his initial B+ physics (which were never revised until now) left him feeling as floaty as Jiggs, which you know, is somewhat awkward. I revised his physics, however you know UpB length is affected by these physics change, and thus I had to manually configure its length to be around the distance it was before, or if I'm lucky, I aimed and shot at the precise length.

its not better compared to its current official iteration, or rather shouldn't be when all is done to work out as I want it to. Unless you wanna count pixels with me. :\

As for the boomerang, like you probably know, you can't edit props. I only sped-up the start-up animation to lessen winddown since whether or not you're in idle state is dependent upon whether or not the animation ended. Boomerang still comes out in 26 frames and is still obnoxiously slow (for better or for worst, it's situational in that regard lol).

also mediocre means average. idk about anyone else but for the longest time i thought mediocre meant terrible, garb, due to its connotation (and the fact that if you're not the best in a comp. game it might as well be the same thing). TL is indeed middle of the road in this game. With all the work done to Link, I'd believe he is indeed mediocre by definition now.

The dair buff may need tweaking. If you need justification please do tell. Also IIRC from like 5000 years ago you somewhat fiddle around with TL. If you could you know, test some stuff too it'd be cool. Only getting input from OTHER TL mains is somewhat...

err rigged. <.<

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
Well, the new test build is pretty sweet. Up-B feels just like the old one and that's a plus. Sped up throw of boomerang is also a plus since now it feels more useful than before without the whole 'slow throw' animation. And D-Air feels more wicked! Though I gotta ask, why dark magic burn? Why couldn't it be fire based like Young Link's back in Melee?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
the fire would **** ivysaur so hard and make dair even worse on squirtle which is already a super loss for the two links since they suck at hitting short people (funny how tl is short yet somehow still fails in this regard).

besides we all know you joined the dark side when you played B+. Might as well not hide that fact at all. =V

since ur already testing Demacrez, use the dair windboxes to try to edgeguard. See how...**** it is.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
B+ being the dark side? As if!

Brawl+ is like the Golden Age of Smash! Smash 64 was the Dark Ages, Melee was the Iron Ages, and vBrawl was the Stone Age! They took 2 steps forward with Melee than took 5 millions steps back with Brawl.

And I'll test out the windboxes... later. After sleep.

5ive

Smash Champion
**** you guys for trying to buff TL even more. :p Toronto+ already has trouble with Distructo's camping.

I can't imagine his camping with buffs x_x

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Dashdance camp back and then just hit him and keep him off the stage. Dashdance > Links

GOD DAMMIT YOU USE MARF >___>

I THOUGHT U SAID U WERE GUD

ALSO STOP LYING U SAID DISTRUCTO SUXS

I MEAN HE THINKS ARROWS ARE LEIK GUD

AND LEIK GUD GUD

LOL

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Guise more testing on what is and isn't ridiculously overpowered/sucks still or whatever.

You have until Friday. =V

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Nothing is overpowered in this test build imo. Not even the dair. Im not biased...lol. Needs fire spike without thinking of fujigisou. And I was thinking about a little trade off...maybe make fair faster but have a lot less knockback? So that TL can have something else to hit with against short characters? (Fair covers a lot of TL's body but its start up has always made it bad this would give him a better option against characters like squirtle which are very hard to hit with as TL and ganon). I heard Ganon received a "buff" to be able to hit squirtle with his back air so I dont see why not.

zaf

Smash Lord
Nothing is overpowered. I asked eleftarios after playing him for like 12 hours straight with the pac what he thought of the new toon link. He didn't complain about a thing, even the dair.

toon links movement is much better and it helps out when DI-ing aswell. Toon link didn't feel right as a floaty char.

I don't know about the fair idea though. It's still a great move, and if it changed we would need to find a new use for it. It's like i'm way to used to the timing of fair right now, that i can send it out after a combo to hit someone's airdodge or tech chase with it. It would be a whole new move. We'd have to learn it again. Just like we did with his new movement.

I don't think anything needs to be added either(besides a change to grounded upb), it's really solid and it's hard to changes things without breaking them.

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
He feels solid now. Changing F-Air would be, in my opinion, a bad idea. It's a great tech chaser and a KO aerial for those floaty *******s. Even though it does well as a normal gimp for others.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Could you guys try out the throws next time you play (if you can land the grab lol =P)?

Fthrow should be usable for tech chasing, let me know if it isn't. Bthrow should be weak early in enemy %'s, but should be good for simply throwing them off the stage at later %s.

Experiment with enemy DI possibilities and stuff.

As for the dair, well, it feels a little weird imo. A lot of meteors in this game actually all have same KBG and BKB stats, only different damage (which only affects how much faster it grows). It may need to be tweaked a bit in how much overall knockback is popping out. Just slightly though.

Unlike Ganon/Falcon/Wolf, etc. who combo with dairs early on, Toon Link's is too laggy to do ANYTHING other than reset the situation. This means it's rather inefficient most of the time to spam dairs since even though this test dair hits like Ness's, his winddown is too much to capitalize (you can't combo off the meteor hit even if it bounces them up). Which is too sad, but apparently changing how dair works/its risk/reward ratio is a no-no.

As for anyone concerned about windboxes, don't be. Unlike Pit's OMG HUGE windbox, Toon Link's:

1. Is still relatively small
2. Has a "flat" on the ground hitbox (it'll only touch people directly on the sides and slightly below the sword stab).
3. Does set weak KB.

You'll only edgeguard with this...if for some reason your opponent is dumb and doesn't sweetspot (then they'd also need to be 'on' your X axis. Otherwise TL depends on on-ground edgeguards like Link.

So yeah...test Fthrow and Bthrow. I'm looking into finalizing that recovery, and tweaking dair meteor hitboxes a bit.

And no I can't ignore Fushigisou Sheikant. <_< I'm not that bias.

Trade secret: If everyone is bias, everyone's bias cancels each other out! Never let one man do the balancing act! =X

shanus

Smash Hero
I know I'm not the only one in the WBR who feels like TL changes are getting excessive at this point.

I just don't see him as nearly as flawed as a select few of you seem to feel. In fact, I didn't think he was flawed to begin with. Maybe take a step back and summarize what you've changed entirely Viet and decide if it is all truly necessary, because right now its fairly O_o

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yes its been necessary. TL is a mediocre character with bad killing moves, mediocre close combat (ground) and mediocre everything and a one trick pony lol. Why not give him more versatility in his strengths to combat his (still there) weaknesses. Viet has done a good job imo.

shanus

Smash Hero
Yes its been necessary. TL is a mediocre character with bad killing moves, mediocre close combat (ground) and mediocre everything and a one trick pony lol. Why not give him more versatility in his strengths to combat his (still there) weaknesses. Viet has done a good job imo.
That post says a whole lot of nothing. It gives no justification for why he needs such a large overhaul. Does he need faster projectiles when he can already demand great stage control? Does he need to be faster in the air while still having a ridiculous recovery? Does he need more grounded or combo options when he has many which afford significant quantities of hitstun?

Quit underselling TL as a mediocre character when its clear that he has a ton of potential. Of course you think he did a good job, he is buffing your main.

Go through the entire changelist and provide justification for every single one of them, and then maybe we'll be talking. That was the point of my first post. Its easy to say it preserves the character weaknesses, but gives no reason why the changes were wanted, let alone needed, to be instated.

I'm not just asking this for my own personal opinion, either. Several individuals in the WBR feel like TL changes are becoming excessive, and its easy to overdo a character. Look at Ness, for example. He went through a lot of adjustments and during the process I sure as hell overdid him, but finally have what I feel is a very solid build (in the BR, not the current release).

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Half the changes have been more like "fixing" his moves than straight buffing anyway. Helping moves actually 'connect' (fsmash and dsmash). UpB still doesnt link properly. His throws have been buffed so that when he gets a grab he can actually "do" something. His upB was "buffed" because his new physics (he didnt feel right being floaty in this game) nerfed his recovery in the process. The down air might be the only thing that isnt justified, but with such risk involved I say its only fair it spikes better. :/

Swordplay

Smash Lord
your right we should fix everything about toon link...

His throws should do something because not a single one of TL's moves should be bad Same for Dair, His physics should be reworked to benifit his onstage game. But instead of making this a tradeoff that would hurt his recovery, Lets buf the recovery to its original state. He should kill decently and have projectiles to rack damage. Toon Link should also have a disjointed sword.........

Don't give me any crap about how TL is light or he can't kill well. TL combo's into his racks damage really fast to and can combo into a select few **** kill moves. Fixing how some moves link together completely negates this idea leaving a character who can rack damage, kill, survive, and spam.

1st Honestly, I have trouble defining what toon links weaknesses will be when this is said and done.

2nd Since when was it decided being "okay/average" needed buffs. I thought buffs were reserved for "bad characters" and in my opinion TL is no where near bad......

I really think TL is fine the way he is. You can wreck people with him. I wreck people with him. I get beaten by him...............Let's buff him. /sarcasm

/continues rant and wants prop code.

Self Distructo

Smash Apprentice
I agree with shanus. And the "he didn't feel right being floaty" is based on opinion. People might have really liked the floatiness when they first played Toon Link, I know i did. I felt more free in the air.

Another thing, if fair's killing power is removed, that's one less killing move that toon link would have. He already doesn't have many.

zaf

Smash Lord
physics: was changed to make toon link feel less floaty.

Fsmash and dsmash : were changed to actually make them hit. I didn't notice a difference with the pacs, except for viet's pac the dsmash was weakened.

dair: i honestly dont care what happens to the move, i can still use it

rang: shooting the boomerang animation was sped up, not much tbh. it kinda feels the same.

grabs were to changed to give toon links more options after a grab. But i still prefer to downsmash over the new forward and back throw.

i never really suggested anything other then a grounded upb fix and the boomerang animation. I've come to just love the boomerang and i dont care anymore about its animations. I wouldn't care if toon link was touched anymore. He is still very solid. I just think grounded upb is total ***.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hmm.

Here's a few "buffs/tweaks" that I've put in test sets that aren't in an official set yet, but probably have a very high chance of getting in:

- no reversible KB on fsmash 1. The fsmash itself is still easier to escape then that auto-Sheik fsmash if you hit at the tip (believably escapable anyway, and Sheik is you know...a better character already). This will just insure nothing wonky will happen. More of a polish than a buff.

- Dsmash. Considering I've nerfed it from 8-13, and the original dsmash was still glitchy despite your work Shanus, I guess you can agree to this staying?

- Dair: Shanus I think we agreed a while ago that this move was vastly flawed by design and needed to be worth using offstage to offset the risk it presented. While the current form needs to be tweaked, this is the direction we all agreed on if this move were to be changed, right? Just make it stronger?

Now the other stuff:

- Physics. Well...I can't really say this is a buff if it doesn't allow him to do anything but "feel better." Most people say he feels "better" this way, but gravity affects his recovery. Hence why I need to compensate that so it can go back to its original Brawl+ state. A physics change will only buff/nerf if it affects what kind of strategies are employed, which this one doesn't quite do that. If anything it makes certain tactics harder to do (arrow cancels) but patches up the huge contrast between normal fall and fastfall.

TL;DR: It's only a "feel" thing. It doesn't promote new tactics, but "patches up the huge contrast between normal fall and fastfall." It's not a buff but a revision. I've read the WBR archives and it was said in the old Plussery thread too, most of those physic changes were WiP. We've had a WiP physics change forever. The deadline for physics never existed to my knowledge. Maybe it was understood? o_o

- Boomerang start-up animation speed-up (wow what a mouthful): This doesn't change how fast the boomerang comes out, it only let's him trail it slightly sooner. I thought buffing strengths was fine to an extent. This gives him another combo option which is fine considering his 26 frames of commitment prior to the boomerang appearing. The return animation is unchanged. Boomerang has a lot of promise but in a faster space game it feels too restraining. Toon Link is a hit-and-run character. Mobility is something he needs. It was fine in vB due to its pace, but a 1.2x PURE animation speed-up doesn't seem like too much.

The boomerang *DOES NOT* go faster or come out faster for anyone who just skims this thread. <_<

- As for the dair windboxes, they're not too reliable and don't really do much. Now if the windboxes had Pit's Icarus Wing's power...=V. So this can be removed, because it's doubtful it has any utility due to its hitbox offsets.

- Fthrow/Bthrow: Seems no one cares about these although some people wanted to try making them more useful. I'm fine with removing them.

- UpB: I've never buffed this move (at least not in a test set or in a build) and it sucks. It will also suck more because of the larger SDI windows. Eh?

- Fair: I was gonna comment that I would not support this change and wouldn't try it unless enough people wanted it. Although it seems the World's Fair has ended boys.

1st Honestly, I have trouble defining what toon links weaknesses will be when this is said and done.
I think it's time you actually look closer to some of these changes if you think they really...get rid of weaknesses. Last I checked I don't remember making Toon Link's sword longer, or letting him have hard-to-escape death combos. The fact that you're the second Link main in this thread to complain totally makes feel like you're not exaggerating some claims out of an old grudge.

Because it seems like you know what his weaknesses are. You seem to sarcastically list them but apparently that was only done to make yourself look more coherent.

Aside from dair nothing has been made to kill better. In fact I've made Dsmash worse from its 8-13 incarnation. And Link DOES kill better than TL now, so this "he should be a decent killer" sarcasm isn't getting through, sorry. Again, I laid out a changelist for each test .pac. Feel free to...you know, read through them. Or better yet, play them?

- Also Toon Link doesn't have a lot of high damage guaranteed combos. None of TL's combo moves send into tumble until 10%, and early percent combos are his own true forte. Anyone telling me he can reliably combo into things at kill percent: bull****. Please practice with someone who at least knows the match-up and edgeguard.

DIing TL's moves is really easy. Here's something I learned to do: pre-DI. Toon Link is not a very deep character. He's gonna switch to the offensive come kill time (assuming he's not chalk full of "Fun Speed Activate!" and rushing at you idiotically to begin with). All his kill moves that aren't Usmash/Uair are horizontal, just hold up. Options isn't his forte, he's relatively bread and butter to the very end, for almost every situation. Is he in facing backwards? Always bair. Always. forward? Nair or he's gonna run away or pivot back...to face backwards. lol

2nd Since when was it decided being "okay/average" needed buffs. I thought buffs were reserved for "bad characters" and in my opinion TL is no where near bad......
I think this is what makes me think you are DEFINITELY bias AGAINST Toon Link. Let me ask you the same thing: When was it decided that "bad characters" could only get buffs? Is Sheik bad? Is Falcon bad? Is Game & Watch bad? Is Lucario bad? And sir, I'm sure you and everyone else knows Marth isn't bad. Guess how many "buffs" Marth has had compared to Toon Link? A good number more. I don't see you running out to the Marth thread and pretending like everyone is pushing for Marth to have no weaknesses.

Why do you complain now, on Toon Link of all characters? Don't you think that's very...oh I don't know, convenient of you?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just had to pop in to say that the effectiveness of "pre-DI" to survive works great against the great majority of the cast's moves. It's not a problem. >.>

Top Bottom