• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Icies do it alone?

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
After reading Sky's new blog, I wondered if its needed to have a secondary to succeed with Ice Climbers. I was pretty opposed to idea of secondaries, but now I came to realize I might need them if I was caught up fighting a Marth or MK.

Do we need secondaries to place pretty well? and what are some good seconds?

PS I was thinking GW or Ike...

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
IC's hardest matchups are MK, Snake, ROB, and probably missing more...

DDD is pretty good against Snake and ROB, but not so much against MK.
I'm not too good with DDD, so I try to just stick with ICs. =/

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Well, MK technically would be the best choice but since we obviously don't want to turn into a bunch of scrubs, I would say that truly no one falls under the category of being good against all three of those characters...

lain

Smash Master
I play DDD against Meta's and I typically do well. I know the matchup wayy too much.

Meta is obviously THE best secondary though. But I just can't go to the dark side. It's all about grabs babeh.

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
After reading Sky's new blog, I wondered if its needed to have a secondary to succeed with Ice Climbers. I was pretty opposed to idea of secondaries, but now I came to realize I might need them if I was caught up fighting a Marth or MK.

Do we need secondaries to place pretty well? and what are some good seconds?

PS I was thinking GW or Ike...
lol Ice Climbers is my secondary for Ike xD.
Anyway, Metaknight, Dedede, or Game and Watch. If you don't like Meta I highly recommend you try Game and Watch.

nasir123

Smash Ace
well king de de de G&W and meta knight are because in a way those are all simalar so if u r goin and entering into a tourny you will have a back up and u wont try to like consistantly grab although if u do it is not a bad thing because all those chars. have grabing common and important in there game. also do u go to tournements at all?

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised no1's mentioned Falco.

Good match-ups with ddd, snake, and mk. Plus, it feels good to get the easy chaingrab on snake and DDD whereas it's much harder to do it consistently with ic's. :)

Either that or G&W.

Also... don't second mk, you'll just end up maining him eventually. >.>

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I feel bad now, since I use Ice Climbers as my counter against Snake, MK, and R.O.B. xD. Even though I play a bunch of characters (Though I mostly play with the top of low and bottom of mid).

Only characters I ever counterpick against are... Falco (Who I use Fox for), Peach (Who I use Lucas for) Sonic, and Dedede (Who I use Sheik for).

Though I guess I'm just odd. I HATE fighting Falco with IC because it's boring :p

I love fighting MK with IC though.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I use ICs for every matchup, and only change off to DK for Brinstar, the "unwinnable" matchups are ROB/MK imo, and I can handle both of them pretty well.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I play pretty much everyone...But in tourneys I only use IC's i do belive that we can take everyone constantly if we try our hearts out. I personally don't have that big of a problem with Snake, but MK, ROB and Luigi really get to me. I've beaten pretty good ROBs before but they have always been close, but I think if I just get a little more matchup exp. I think it's very possible.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
i´m bad against characters who outcamp me with spams.... a grenade-only-snake on FD or a spammy tink.. or olimar are really bad matchups for me.. i have also some problems with zelda.

but i play every mu with ic´s. i also believe that we can take it all =)

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
well king de de de G&W and meta knight are because in a way those are all simalar so if u r goin and entering into a tourny you will have a back up and u wont try to like consistantly grab although if u do it is not a bad thing because all those chars. have grabing common and important in there game. also do u go to tournements at all?
Yea, I go to tournaments, going to one in two days ( Bio #2). I would like to use Icies in as many matches as possible, but if I have to go against unwinnables match-ups or bad stages, I want someone to fall back on.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
i´m bad against characters who outcamp me with spams.... a grenade-only-snake on FD or a spammy tink.. or olimar are really bad matchups for me.. i have also some problems with zelda.

but i play every mu with ic´s. i also believe that we can take it all =)
Spam Ice Shots and Blizzard, because Ice Shots beat TL's boomerangs, arrows (for bombs, dodge them and Blizzard might stop it from far away), Olimar's Pikmin camping, and can stop Snake's down smash and his nades.

Zelda, well, I'm not really sure.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I hate Zelda! I can't seem to get around her...
Blizzardssss.

Make her find a way around your blizzard. If she tries to use Naryu's Love, you should be able to get a grab. She's not very good in the air and she's very floaty, so you can juggle her with uairs all game.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Blizzardssss.

Make her find a way around your blizzard. If she tries to use Naryu's Love, you should be able to get a grab. She's not very good in the air and she's very floaty, so you can juggle her with uairs all game.
you're forgetting she can just run and spam dins. plus her aerials >>>>> our aerials.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Tournament results show that you will need a good secondary to even think about placing high with IC's. IC's are horrible on way to many stages and have too many bad match-ups to win a high level tournament by themselves.

If you are looking for a secondary for match-ups GW is actually bad. The only match-up he would take care of is Rob. MK/Snake are still two of his worst match-ups. DDD is a good secondary, MK is the best secondary, Falco is pretty good for IC's as well. Snake is another really good choice.

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Tournament results show that you will need a good secondary to even think about placing high with IC's. IC's are horrible on way to many stages and have too many bad match-ups to win a high level tournament by themselves.

If you are looking for a secondary for match-ups GW is actually bad. The only match-up he would take care of is Rob. MK/Snake are still two of his worst match-ups. DDD is a good secondary, MK is the best secondary, Falco is pretty good for IC's as well. Snake is another really good choice.

Ah and I thought Game and Watch would be a solid second. I need to pick up Dedede then.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I use Ness/Peach as my secondary, my Peach destroys MKs and my Ness is good against ROBs and Snakes, but I don't mind taking ROB on with the ICs anyway. It is good to have a secondary though, just choose who you like playing with and check who can put up a good fight on the meta/snake/ROB boards =)

swordgard

Smash Hero

They do. Il prove it, ambrose did already at quite a few tourneys in canada. But yeah, il prove its possible to play only ics.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
We know it's possible to, it's just quite a bit harder to. It's pretty hard to play just one character in a tourney and win (unless you main MK or Snake) Because you will always have those bad matchups that someone will pick and probably beat you with. But I mean, if you can play so smart, and learn how your opponent plays really quickly, you can go IC's all the way...But like I said, it's gonna be freggin hard

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
....Well, since I don't go to tournaments (I have a reason why, *coughcoughparentscoughcough*), I don't need to main a secondary like MK, Snake, R.O.B, or G&W. If I did I'd pick Falco, since I'm at least good with him. @_@

I main ICs with Peach, Kirby, Toon Link, Pikachu, and Ness. LOL. xD Anyways, yeah yeah, I'm doomed with those characters anyway if I had to go to a tournament. D:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Are there any good non-top tiers that go well with Ice Climbers though? Because uhh... I refuse to use top tiers ^^'

Even if it means using a huge ammount of low/mid tiers, it'd be better than using high tiers to me :p

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
....Well, since I don't go to tournaments (I have a reason why, *coughcoughparentscoughcough*), I don't need to main a secondary like MK, Snake, R.O.B, or G&W. If I did I'd pick Falco, since I'm at least good with him. @_@

I main ICs with Peach, Kirby, Toon Link, Pikachu, and Ness. LOL. xD Anyways, yeah yeah, I'm doomed with those characters anyway if I had to go to a tournament. D:
I wouldn't neccisarily say you'd be doomed, because not alot of people have matchup experience against some of those chars, and as long as you picked the right one, you could do well.
Are there any good non-top tiers that go well with Ice Climbers though? Because uhh... I refuse to use top tiers ^^'

Even if it means using a huge ammount of low/mid tiers, it'd be better than using high tiers to me :p
You win a medal. Top tiers ftl. But you can really use anyone, you just gotta get really REALLY good with them, and pick those CPs at the right times

KRDsonic

Smash Master
You win a medal. Top tiers ftl. But you can really use anyone, you just gotta get really REALLY good with them, and pick those CPs at the right times
Well, I don't want to end up doing stuff like using Captain Falcon to counterpick against Meta Knight xD. I'm just wondering who does well against some of the characters IC have trouble with, like against Pikachu, R.O.B. G&W, MK, Snake, etc.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Well, I don't want to end up doing stuff like using Captain Falcon to counterpick against Meta Knight xD. I'm just wondering who does well against some of the characters IC have trouble with, like against Pikachu, R.O.B. G&W, MK, Snake, etc.
Peach,Link,and Pokemon Trainer come to mind,But they all have high learning curves.Try Toon lonk and ZSS.

Top Bottom