• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
As long as people like N00breon are around the MBR will be just fine.
LOL like I say, the MBR should be BEGGING me to join for my "contributions" to the Link metagame and my amazing Fu Manchu. Just think, I'll be able to inflate Link's position on the tier list by voting him for #1 and leaving the rest of the list more or less untouched! Well, I'd probably vote Yoshi for #2 ... and Roy for #3 ... and then they'd kick me out of the MBR ...

Zhea

Smash Ace
Topic swap! S2J, how do I stop being pansy DD camper and start being manly approaching falcon ( and not get my *** beat for doing it )?

:phone:

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Topic swap! S2J, how do I stop being pansy DD camper and start being manly approaching falcon ( and not get my *** beat for doing it )?

learn the grab/sh late knee mixup and back it up with nairs and uairs and you're good

D

Deleted member

don't be obvious if u choose to approach and/or don't be full out aggressive just be aggressive enough to bait out moves unless they blow

figuring out the big flaws of your opponent helps a lot too, for example, some people are bad at dash dancing and doing a running short-hop weak knee no fast fall will catch crappier players by the tip. But almost every good player will punish you for it

There are no guarantees with Falcon. Even amongst fighting bad players the good options to pick are different. Figure out the flaws of your opponent as you play. To me getting hit and comboed by them gives me reads too so I don't mind going slightly HAM first stock even in tourney

==

i'm also not really a true approacher, vs worse players i can do whatever i want but the better they get the more tricky/ smarter/ lame I have to be. only in tourney tho

Zhea

Smash Ace
S2J, I noticed you were using more up throws against fox in your recent tourney vids/streams, is this for the same reason you up throw falco (more time to set up for tech chases)?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
If they DI your Dthrow far enough away it's sometimes hard to set up a foxtrot that lets you react to their tech, so yes it basically gives you more time to get there
Although I'm not sure at what point they can jump out, but if they can jump out you can probably instant Uair them instead

D

Deleted member

i think up-throw is often the better choice vs falco, but not necessarily vs fox both up and down are very good

==

i have close to no interest in going to FC. I will get a little bit more only if Armada goes and even then need money/ find tix

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Hey S2J I was watching you vs PP northwest manifest and when PP would late nair>shine You would DI the nair up and the shine would miss. How the hell were you doing that exactly?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't think that's particularly recommended because he can also just uptilt you and I think the shine missing was coincidental anyway

Unless Johnny is just a master

S l o X

Smash Champion
if i win mass madness (gotta beat dj nintendo, th0rn, swiftbass, zoso, darc etc) then i will go to fc.

so right now i plan on it.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
What do y'all think about the viability of a ledge-hop "sweetspot landing" as a mix-up? I'm talking about ledge-hopping and landing on the ledge with the same spacing of like how Ganon's full-jump perfect-lands on the DL side platforms and he can immediately take ground action (like jab/grab or something). It would be similar to the ledge-hop waveland-in-place right at the tip of the ledge, except with less landlag. I know Foxes will sometimes do sweetspot land -> shine because of how fast it is. Granted, Falcon doesn't have anything like a shine or a Ganon-jab, and most opponents won't be close enough to the ledge to get sweetspot land -> grabbed, but as a mix-up, do y'all think it could work?

EDIT: I think Falcon's backwards full-jump sweetspot lands or almost sweetspot lands on the top plats on YS or FoD.

D

Deleted member

Hey S2J I was watching you vs PP northwest manifest and when PP would late nair>shine You would DI the nair up and the shine would miss. How the hell were you doing that exactly?
if i was doing something then I probably did regular DI+ smash DI on shine

not gunna rewatch/ watch the set though i never watch sets where I am very unhappy with how i played

==

@ferris the entire falcon non-scrub world knows about backwards full hop landing perfectly on top plat

another trick that is fairly useless is if you do a backwards short hop from left or right plat on yoshis you will 'perfect land' on the middle plat

==

changed title back due to popular request

Lovage

Smash Hero
Oh **** the skill call out! Word on the street is that no matter how much of an ignorant ******* you are, as long as you can dair edgecancel uair and play like a ***** in an old video game you are going to live a happy life.
now i'm just confused LOL

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
@ferris the entire falcon non-scrub world knows about backwards full hop landing perfectly on top plat
I was just trying to exemplify so that people would know what I was talking about since I clearly wasn't using the right words for it (sweetspot landing instead of perfect land). I knew about the backwards full-jump thing without having to check in-game and I figured most ppl on this thread would as well. It's probably more useful in general to perfect land with FJ -> insta-nair on the top plat of YS or FoD anyways.

Didn't know about the backwards sh from the side plats on YS, but I'm just going to assume that perfect landing on the ledge from a ledgehop won't get me instantaneously owned if I mix it up properly until I meet someone who instantaneously owns me even if I mix it up.

D

Deleted member

my bad if i was being a GROUCH i just had the thought of me getting pwned by PP in my head rofl

what i was trying to do with the backwards short hop from left or right plat is if someone is hit onto the top platform you can do backwards short hop onto the middle of the platform

into a d-smash charge on the middle so you can cover every option this is what I tried to put into my game about a year ago

but the opportunity for this specific situation happens like once every 4 games that i don't think its worth worrying about

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
but the opportunity for this specific situation happens like once every 4 games that i don't think its worth worrying about
Well, I need SOMETHING to practice during my "nair pilgrimage" when I inevitably get bored of nairs and when I master/give up on all the other random, specific, useless **** I've thought up thus far (like ledge-canceled aerial Raptor Boost -> dropzone KNEE).

Unless somebody has discovered the secrets to mastering dash-dancing solo, b/c I am one of those ****ty players who gets tipped by the sh -> no fastfall -> weak knee ^_^

EDIT: Also ... it's "Ferrish" 8D

D

Deleted member

S2j's TIP OF THE WEEK

simple way to counter overshoot weak knee, which is primarily used vs bad dash dancing

1. react to weak knee --> crouch cancel --> punish
2. adjust your dash dance range so he whiffs --> you punish when he awkwardly lands
3. block weak knee--> no shield stun comparatively to strong knee on shield --> punish

overshoot weak knee is top tier vs n00bs, mid tier vs decent people as a mix-up, and should never be used against good players unless they are ****ing up/ playing bad/ nervous

when i test how good players are when i play them for the first time/ in a while this is something I DO and its a fairly accurate gauge of their rough skill level if they keep getting hit by it/ can't punish

unknown522

Some guy
If this is a real question. I played vs some good G&Ws a couple of times and never had problems with the top 15 or so characters (ones that I actually at least sort of use though [like I didnt use peach, ICs, pikachu]). I can write something up I guess

j00t

Smash Champion
QERB's definitely better than me at the fox/falco matchup which is all that really matters unfortunately :(

j00t

Smash Champion
if you get a grab you pretty much take a stock... G&W's tech options are awful and he gets combo'd really easily and dies really early. The best way to do this is to grab him after he fairs.

game and watch is going to do one of two things for this matchup:

1) play really defensively and make you approach him. If this happens then obviously don't approach him (hint: his approach is way worse than yours).
2) catch you out of your dashdance with a dtilt or fair. If this happens then this will either put you on the ground (fair) or set G&W up for a grab (dtilt). G&W's grab game is good, especially against falcon since he can dthrow chaingrab or uthrow -> put you on a platform -> **** you. The best way to deal with fair is to just shield -> dair. G&W's fair doesn't have good winddown lag so he can't utilt after it to punish your stomp.

Honestly falcon destroys G&W, i've just had success with this matchup because I catch people by surprise in tournament :p

j00t

Smash Champion
Yeah that's another thing. It's a good idea to learn G&W's throws. dthrow and bthrow start from front to back, while uthrow and fthrow start from back to front. If you learn this pattern then you can react and DI appropriately.

Top Bottom