• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
FEATURE REQUEST. PLEASE CONSIDER!

IN the Mario Kart Modifier, SZS mod, you can edit the vertex's of models without having to hex them. Like you preview them and just drag. Could you take a look at how thats used since the BRRES files inside Mario Kart Wii's SZS files are ALMOST EXACTLY like Brawl's so please look into it.

My request is a Vertex editor.

And a side job. A Built in Hex editor.
That would be a useful feature in my opinion too. Post it at the issue site.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
By the way, if you are exporting/importing misc data you should put in a feature request for that file type. The ultimate goal is that you shouldn't have to do that! :p
Not quite sure what you mean there but I was trying to export some miscdatas so that I could look through them in HxD and brawlbox just wouldn't do it. That's probably not of any use to you since I don't remember which file it was.

Sorry to ask here but I get the feeling I won't be getting an answer from the Q&A thread (I did ask there first). In the stage collision editor, how do I create a plane between two points. (edit, nvm someone told me in the stage hackin' hub)

I know a little about the format of polygons and vertexes (in the hex), would this be of any use to you? I do mean a little but I'm sure I could figure out more if I took the time to look into it. Just want to know if it's worth my while or if I'd be messing around trying to figure out something you already know.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Hey Kryal, what do you mean when you say "put in a feature request for that file type"?

[OFF TOPIC]
Mewtwo (It feels cool to address someone like that), just wanted to congratulate you on the progress you've made with stages and such. You seem like a cool guy to talk to on MSN and stuff (Hint hint n64billy@hotmail.com hint hint)

Also, everytime you do this face, it reminds me of a tamagotchi ^^U

I always managed to get Kuchipatchi when I had a tamagotchi :p
I managed to keep them alive for 22 generations before my battery died.... Good memories...
[/OFF TOPIC]
Well, thanks, I'm on MSN very few times, but anyway this is it mewtwo_2000@hotmail.com

Em... And I don't see the tamagotchi anywhere O.o xDDD

PD: Another request, what about folder creation/rename/importing?

MrNinjaFish

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was just wondering: for complete character hacks (new movesets and animations), how big are all the files once they are finished and playable?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I was just wondering: for complete character hacks (new movesets and animations), how big are all the files once they are finished and playable?
There is no set size, it all depends on many factors. Each file should, however, be larger than the characters original file size, except the moveset, which could possibly be smaller.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Okay, good news and bad news. The good news is, I've got a reliable way of generating the keyframe tangents. Bad news is, most tangents have been input by hand. This changes the design model slightly, in that there may need to be a keyframe graph so that manual changes can be made. This would also require remaking the model builder and possibly splitting it up into two editors. One made specifically for editing the model (bones/vertices/materials) and another designed for animation (keyframes/graphs/multi-resource loading). In the meantime, I will build a generator that will make this automatic.

Please post your ideas on this issue, as it will be a rather large change. Keep in mind that separating the functions will allow for more control, but at the same time add a minor inconvenience of switching modes.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
You were working on a model builder/importer!? Dang. I think it should be in two seperate editors. I think the Animation should be seperate. Like have Bawl Box with all its Fancy stuff and when you want to Animate it would open the files you had in Brawl Box and auto opens them. And the Verticle (why are they called vertices?) editor would help alot so that should be with Material and Bones.

This is my idea on the matter.

EDIT: which ever one gets the Verticles editor faster. :p

pokelover980

Smash Ace
You were working on a model builder/importer!? Dang. I think it should be in two seperate editors. I think the Animation should be seperate. Like have Bawl Box with all its Fancy stuff and when you want to Animate it would open the files you had in Brawl Box and auto opens them. And the Verticle (why are they called vertices?) editor would help alot so that should be with Material and Bones.

This is my idea on the matter.

EDIT: which ever one gets the Verticles editor faster. :p
It's called vertices because singular it's called a vertex, not a verticle :p

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Please post your ideas on this issue, as it will be a rather large change. Keep in mind that separating the functions will allow for more control, but at the same time add a minor inconvenience of switching modes.
Well, that's not too bad of a deal. I think it's perfectly fine.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
We already have different editors for stage models and stage collision, so separating out animations from models is a logical step. It also makes the model previewer a little less cluttered than having 4 expandable option boxes.

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
I think it should be 2 seperate editors but on the upper right corner or upper left corner there would be a little arrow that switches to the other. If not, I think two different editors is still better.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Okay, good news and bad news. The good news is, I've got a reliable way of generating the keyframe tangents. Bad news is, most tangents have been input by hand. This changes the design model slightly, in that there may need to be a keyframe graph so that manual changes can be made. This would also require remaking the model builder and possibly splitting it up into two editors. One made specifically for editing the model (bones/vertices/materials) and another designed for animation (keyframes/graphs/multi-resource loading). In the meantime, I will build a generator that will make this automatic.

Separation would probably make things more simple, and it would feel like you're cramming too much into BrawlBox.

I'm all for it! Go Kryal!
-DD

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Kryal, would you be interested in adding in support for a few more random file types here and there?

I'm working on decoding AI files and dont really feel like creating a app just to edit them (I spent a lot of time on BrawlWall)

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal, would you be interested in adding in support for a few more random file types here and there?

I'm working on decoding AI files and dont really feel like creating a app just to edit them (I spent a lot of time on BrawlWall)
I'm always interested in adding more types, and plan on supporting all of them in the end. I sometimes find myself working on the bigger problems, and don't have much time. I always appreciate help!

Dantarion

Smash Champion
ATKD Files.

Most of the time they are found inside "character_ai" files inside "FitCharacterMoitionEtc"(third unknown file)
Heres how to read them.

Header (size 0x10)
0x00 "ATKD"
0x04 int ATKDEntry count
0x08 int Unknown
0x0C int Unknown

0x10+ ATKEntries

ATKEntry(size 0x18)
0x00 short Subaction ID
0x02 short "00"
0x04 short Dodge Frame Start
0x06 short Dodge Frame End
0x08 float X Min Range
0x0C float X Max Range
0x10 float Y Min Range
0x14 float Y Max Range

That SHOULD be right.
Ill try coding it myself in BrawlBox style, but I'm not sure if I can.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApT3mKrcXjEhdDRyczBNa1BvT0gyVndKVlFqb0l5UlE&hl=en
(Ignore the extra header entry, I messed up :p)

KickKickFlip

Smash Apprentice
Umm, I'm using smash attack and i want to change sound effects is there a list of the sound effects? Like how do I know the name of the sound effect the beam sword uses?

Kryal

Smash Ace
ATKD Files.

Most of the time they are found inside "character_ai" files inside "FitCharacterMoitionEtc"(third unknown file)
Heres how to read them.

Header (size 0x10)
0x00 "ATKD"
0x04 int ATKDEntry count
0x08 int Unknown
0x0C int Unknown

0x10+ ATKEntries

ATKEntry(size 0x18)
0x00 short Subaction ID
0x02 short "00"
0x04 short Dodge Frame Start
0x06 short Dodge Frame End
0x08 float X Min Range
0x0C float X Max Range
0x10 float Y Min Range
0x14 float Y Max Range

That SHOULD be right.
Ill try coding it myself in BrawlBox style, but I'm not sure if I can.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApT3mKrcXjEhdDRyczBNa1BvT0gyVndKVlFqb0l5UlE&hl=en
(Ignore the extra header entry, I messed up :p)
Not sure if I will add full support for this ATM, because I would like to link it with the action scripts. Doesn't seem too bad though.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Kryal, I've been getting complaints in the BRSTM Factory ever since the latest release of Brawlbox that songs made by the program are too quiet. Maybe you could look into it? I know stage and texture stuff is much more important, but it is an issue. If you really need me too, I'll put it in the issues list, but I figured I'd just tell you here.
Can you please put the BRSTM Edit ability in the next BrawlBox so I can fix the quiet BRSTM's? It'd help me out a lot, if you can't, that's fine too, just look into it, please

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Kryal, I've been getting complaints in the BRSTM Factory ever since the latest release of Brawlbox that songs made by the program are too quiet. Maybe you could look into it? I know stage and texture stuff is much more important, but it is an issue. If you really need me too, I'll put it in the issues list, but I figured I'd just tell you here. Thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure Kryal has said time and time again that it's not the programs fault, just something about normalization or some other techno babble dabble that I don't understand :U

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I'm pretty sure Kryal has said time and time again that it's not the programs fault, just something about normalization or some other techno babble dabble that I don't understand :U
That was the problem with Dant's BCSM, but this problem has only occured for me since the latest Brawlbox

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal, I've been getting complaints in the BRSTM Factory ever since the latest release of Brawlbox that songs made by the program are too quiet. Maybe you could look into it? I know stage and texture stuff is much more important, but it is an issue. If you really need me too, I'll put it in the issues list, but I figured I'd just tell you here.
Can you please put the BRSTM Edit ability in the next BrawlBox so I can fix the quiet BRSTM's? It'd help me out a lot, if you can't, that's fine too, just look into it, please
I have yet to experience this. Send me a file that has this issue, raw and converted.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
By raw I think he means the .wav file you originally used.
Well, I'm sure exporting it as a wav would be the same thing, right? I guess if you really want that, Kryal, I could upload it to Mediafire and send you the link, but I don't believe that's necessary

Kryal

Smash Ace
Well, I'm sure exporting it as a wav would be the same thing, right? I guess if you really want that, Kryal, I could upload it to Mediafire and send you the link, but I don't believe that's necessary
Okay, first thing I noticed, it's not really quiet. It's a LITTLE softer than the other songs but it's not that bad. Secondly, it's in mono and the frequency is a little low. I'll see if I can get it to sound better. Do you have the original song, possibly of better quality?

EDIT:

NVM, I found it online.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Okay, first thing I noticed, it's not really quiet. It's a LITTLE softer than the other songs but it's not that bad. Secondly, it's in mono and the frequency is a little low. I'll see if I can get it to sound better. Do you have the original song, possibly of better quality?
Original MP3
What I did with it...
1. Amplified it in Audacity
2. Exported it as a wav
3. Converted it using BrawlBox
4. Uploaded it to Mediafire
I do this with all requests/songs
If it's really not that quiet, then I guess I'll just tell them to be quiet and that's the only BRSTM they're getting for now

Kryal

Smash Ace
Original MP3
What I did with it...
1. Amplified it in Audacity
2. Exported it as a wav
3. Converted it using BrawlBox
4. Uploaded it to Mediafire
I do this with all requests/songs
If it's really not that quiet, then I guess I'll just tell them to be quiet and that's the only BRSTM they're getting for now
Try this and make a comparison. You can also extract the audio and look at it in Audacity. I think it might be a little too loud though...
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?neyyvyiqm1o

I've said it before, the amount of effort/quality you put into the audio directly affects what you get out of it. I spent maybe 30-40 minutes messing with settings to see what worked better, next time I know exactly what to do.

As far as audio tools go, Audacity isn't really the best. However it's free, easy, and works rather well. It would also help to take a few audio mastering tutorials.

Some tips:
  • Remember that the Wii has an internal mixer, and as other sounds occur they get blended into the same stream.
  • The Wii doesn't handle bass very well, so run it through an equalizer.
  • Keep the audio exactly as you got it. Don't remove streams or resample. You can resample the audio to get better compression, but at a slight loss in quality. The less converting you do, the better the sound.

What I did:
  1. Acquire song
  2. Open in Audacity
  3. Equalize: it's a good idea to cut off the upper/lower bands so it doesn't sound muddy. With the Wii, higher frequencies stand out more so maybe increase around 9000Hz. In audacity:
  4. Normalize
  5. Amplify to -0.5
  6. Now your stream should look rather 'full' without being a solid mess:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Alright Kryal, thanks for the info. I'm very good at finding loop points, just figured that's the way I've done it, and it always worked til recently...thanks again.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Just let me say Kryal, Im loving the collision editor. I got around to trying it out, and I'm making a Congo Jungle (64) stage, using actual n64 textures, and it looks boss XD

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Not sure if I will add full support for this ATM, because I would like to link it with the action scripts. Doesn't seem too bad though.

Wait, youre planning to parse movesets?
Would you actually like help, or are you just gonna reinvent the wheel again?

Kryal

Smash Ace
Wait, youre planning to parse movesets?
Would you actually like help, or are you just gonna reinvent the wheel again?
I plan on building an actual scripting language around the action scripts. The layout is very similar, and would allow a person to effectively 'program' a moveset. Most likely in the pattern of Java/C# scripting.

Top Bottom