• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl will have backwards progression (which is a bad thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Why doesn't everyone just bring back melee? Is it because everyone sucks in melee, but thinks there the **** in this game mabey?

IrArby

Smash Ace
Question. Are most of the pros winning major tournaments leftover Melee Pros or are they all new Brawl Pros?

Honestly I don't know since I consider it a waste of my time to monitor Brawl Tounament Results. I'm wondering whether or not Melee Pros like Azen or M2K are going to be missed if they drop Brawl competitively though I'm guessing there is enough new blood or just guys who never made it big in Melee who would readily replace them.

Sonic527

Smash Apprentice
I think your sort of right and sort of wrong. In a way Brawl has progressed backwards copared to melee and if Sakuri makes anouther sequel (and hopefully have melee's physics... but Brawl isn't that bad) then there is anouther possibility that the next Smash Bros will be worse than Brawl and be even more simplified O.O;

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
I think your sort of right and sort of wrong. In a way Brawl has progressed backwards copared to melee and if Sakuri makes anouther sequel (and hopefully have melee's physics... but Brawl isn't that bad) then there is anouther possibility that the next Smash Bros will be worse than Brawl and be even more simplified O.O;
I more simplified brawl? .... Its called Mario Party.

Dj Chopin

Smash Apprentice
man, you ppl depress me talking about "backwards progression" for 70 pages. who wants to play with shiek, marth, falco, and fox forever? melee blows. haha, i said it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
man, you ppl depress me talking about "backwards progression" for 70 pages. who wants to play with shiek, marth, falco, and fox forever? melee blows. haha, i said it.
man, you ppl depress me talking about "backwards progression" for 70 pages. who wants to play with metaknight and snake forever? brawl blows. haha, i said it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
That situation would be "there," not "their." That sentence reads I as a thing or a bad 3rd person of yourself and someone else is possessing it.

Those people's I said that.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I play Sheik and Marth in Brawl, too....

IrArby

Smash Ace
Playing Shiek or Marth in Brawl is depressing since they gots d nerfs but Brawl in general is depressing.

Man Dj Chopin you know you know you've said something dumb when like 8 people quote it and make fun of you for it.

Psychoace you totally missed a great oppurtunity to include Dj Chopins mom in a joke about "Backwards Progression". Thats a prime setup right there. You could have taken that joke anywhere.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
Sadly I have to agree with you, thoughI find the game very entertaining, Idon't think it will progress anymore then it has already, there simply isn't a good future in the competitive play of brawl.

I would have to agree with what you stated 100%, but I think it is still a very fun game to play, but it was defiantly dumbed down from melee, But this game can still be a competitive game, it is just going to be a more focused on defensive play then offensive, no more combo streams, and the slower pase of the game might destroy its competitive future.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
It seems as if the majority of the community, especially those outside of the competitive scene, will back up their beliefs that brawl is a good game merely by faith alone. It's crazy how there are so many parallels between this and a religious debate.

People need to be able to distinguish between factual information and feeling based arguments. Most of you who are arguing against it are just stubbornly supporting the game cause you like it. We aren't saying that Brawl isn't a fun game for a lot of people. We are merely saying that it seems like it's not going to be a very good game from a competitive standpoint. If you don't have experience with Brawl in a competitive manner, then you really ought not to argue it. I'm not saying this to sound elitist, I'm saying this because if you are not knowledgeable in the matter then how the heck can you debate it?

One thing that people don't seem to understand is that we, as competitive smashers, DON'T want this game to be bad. We all wanted this to be good. We are still hoping we could somehow find a way to make it better. We don't want to go back to melee. We wanted a new game as well. Having this game work for both casual players and competitive players (like Melee did) absolutely would not hinder it's sales. There is no inherent benefit of forcing this game to be casual friendly and anti-competitive.

The fact of the matter is that the only people that like this are people that are just angry with the competitive scene. If you weren't angry at us, and were just a casual player, then why would you care that we play the game differently? For whatever reason... it's kinda dumb to hate us just cause we play the game competitively. Seriously, it's not like we invade your group of friends and force you to play the way we do. Why do you hate us so much? Why do you post here of all places if you do? Do you want to just clash with people of differing opinions?

Meh, it's sad. Brawl could have been way, way better than this. Sakurai is a fool, cause he had the ability to make this game much better, but instead his politically correct "everyone is a winner" mentality made Brawl into a randomized party game that is hard to take seriously.
i agree completely. i know i'm not a competitive player, but i feel sorry for the competitive smash community. it seems sakurai just doesn't recognize the competitive smashers and, in my opinion, is against them.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
i agree completely. i know i'm not a competitive player, but i feel sorry for the competitive smash community. it seems sakurai just doesn't recognize the competitive smashers and, in my opinion, is against them.

I wouldn't say he is against them, i think it is actually nintendo, after all it was sakurai who said he originally intended for voice chat, but nintendo made him scrap that so little kids can be safe (not a direct quote, but the general nintendo theory...).

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Smash Bros. was not meant to be a fighting game in the traditional sense. The fact is people expect it to be something it's not and get depressed because it's not designed as a competitive game.

Sakurai even said himself that Smash Bros. is not a "fighting game."

arrowhead

Smash Ace
Smash Bros. was not meant to be a fighting game in the traditional sense. The fact is people expect it to be something it's not and get depressed because it's not designed as a competitive game.

no actually people expected sakurai to consider the opinions of his most loyal and supportive group when he was making brawl, the competitive players. too bad he doesn't give a **** about us.

and i doubt sakurai said brawl was not a fighting game when it says on the game's case: "anything can happen in this action-packed fighting game."

IrArby

Smash Ace

And this is news how? Sorry to be rude but everyone's aware that the entire Smash series is intended for casual party play. Peopel didn't expect it to be something its not. It was more than viable as a great fighting game. Melee was and is a competitive fighter although it's "not designed as a competitve game." We were simply expecting the competitive elements to be left in and why not? They in no way hurt casual play. Instead, Brawl is MEANT TO BE NON COMPETITIVE and nothing else whereas Melee/64 were just party games that didn't care about competitive play one way or another until people took it there. If it was designed as a competitve game we probably wouldn't want it so much. We wanted a great casual game with all the competitive potential that came with the other 2 but instead they went and ****ed with all of that for no reason.

I blame the terrorists. When we play Brawl the terrorists win.

Lol! arrowhead great point I hadn't even considered that!

Spife

Smash Master
I'm sure he'd be disappointed to see Brawl failed to appeal to the competitive demographic.
Tripping suggests otherwise.
Anyhoo, It's unfortunate that this is the way things turned out. I Don't think sakurai should have catered to the competitive players but he really didn't need to un-invite competitive concepts to brawl like he did (out with the advanced techniques, in with the random ****). I mean, he did something right giving us the option to turn off items >.>
But in all fairness it's more or less politics...yet it's to late for me to explain why. By the by I agree with the block of text that was quoted so many posts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom